Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Humbaba posted:

Are you sure you have it setup right? When I put a Cooler Master into my system a few months ago, it took me a while to realize that I had to change the back plate, and that changed how the screws for the heatsink would connect. The stock cooler should definitely fit on a compatible motherboard.

What's there to set up? The mobo only comes with one back plate and I don't see how there's a way to change it so that the stock cooler's screws would reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

stump collector posted:

I think you'd want to spend more on the cooler but everything else looks really good to me. There's nothing wrong with it as a budget choice but you'd probably be able to overclock more with a premium fan.
I'm a little hesitant to go too ham with overclocking (had plans to but ultimately didn't bother with my current system so totally inexperienced) but I'm actually getting some help putting this system together, so gonna ask them if they're comfortable with trying to push that stuff. If so I'll get something beefier, otherwise I'll assume this one's okay for the modest OC I'd do myself.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Everything's fine - except change your PSU to an EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx. That NEX is old kit and not as efficient. The price difference will be non-existent or negligible.

Also, the best deal right now at Newegg BF/CM-wise is taking advantage of their Masterpass $25 off $200 promo. It brings graphics cards down to some really attractive prices when combined with rebates.
Ah thanks for the heads up! Swapped in a Corsair - RMx 650W.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Codex Occultus posted:

I want to get a 1070 and a 1440p monitor on Black Friday BUT my last system build was 5 years ago (other than a graphics card upgrade 3 years ago) and I'm not sure the i5-3570K is going to be sufficient to run modern games at 60 fps. From what I've read I _should_ be OK so long as I'm not trying to run on ultra settings or anything. The system (with a plain 660 in it) currently handles most games at 60-ish fps on medium-high settings so it's basically just a resolution upgrade but I'd like a sanity check to make sure that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3
CPU: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40ghz
GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC gtx 660
PSU: Corsair HX520 Modular power supply
RAM: Mushkin 8GB (2 X 4 GB) DDR3 1600

Just overclock the pants off that processor and it still be fine for now. If you can stretch your budget for a 1080 over the over priced 1070, that would be good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Everdraed posted:

Ah thanks for the heads up! Swapped in a Corsair - RMx 650W.

No problem - and the reason a 4x16GB kit is ~$900 is that DRAM pricing is loving insane at the moment, and isn't likely to improve much over time. So long as you buy like-for-like later on (hopefully when prices stabilize), you should be fine.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Codex Occultus posted:

I want to get a 1070 and a 1440p monitor on Black Friday BUT my last system build was 5 years ago (other than a graphics card upgrade 3 years ago) and I'm not sure the i5-3570K is going to be sufficient to run modern games at 60 fps. From what I've read I _should_ be OK so long as I'm not trying to run on ultra settings or anything. The system (with a plain 660 in it) currently handles most games at 60-ish fps on medium-high settings so it's basically just a resolution upgrade but I'd like a sanity check to make sure that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3
CPU: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40ghz
GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC gtx 660
PSU: Corsair HX520 Modular power supply
RAM: Mushkin 8GB (2 X 4 GB) DDR3 1600
It turns out I am a moron and was looking at the wrong box. The power supply is actually a Seasonic S12II-520 not that it makes a huge difference since they are roughly similar. (the Corsair is in my HTPC)

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just overclock the pants off that processor and it still be fine for now. If you can stretch your budget for a 1080 over the over priced 1070, that would be good.

Thanks. I was looking at 1080s and wondering if it was worth pushing the budget. I will be upgrading the rest of the system sometime next year so it might be nice to have some performance headroom on the GPU.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
To add on to my previous post, I think the stock cooler that came with mine was just straight up defective since the screws don't move up or down at all.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this cooler, the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856005&cm_re=am4_coolers-_-35-856-005-_-Product

It's a clip on installation which is great.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I've got a ten+ year old PC that is ready for replacement soon, though I have a bit of flexibility, maybe sometime in the next 6 months.

I've been following this thread and the monitor thread for awhile now, and it seems the first step is to figure out what resolution and refresh rate you want to game at. I play mostly lower grade stuff (indies, Crusader Kings, etc.), but would like some modern AAA FPS like Wolfenstein, not to mention stuff like flight sims.

Would targeting a 2560x1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor be worthwhile? If so, what is the current build that can drive game at high graphics levels at that resolution? I guess I have to decide if I want to shoot for that, or lower the bar, or maybe just wait longer to upgrade.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
1440p 144hz gsync is the current gold standard imo. To push it I would recommend at least a GTX 1070, preferably a 1080.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

A Bag of Milk posted:

1440p 144hz gsync is the current gold standard imo. To push it I would recommend at least a GTX 1070, preferably a 1080.

Thanks, so I guess the next question is: how much can I expect prices to drop on the monitor and various components in the next 6 months? It sounds like the economics of computer parts are a bit more complex now and you can't count on steadily dropping prices. How much can I reasonably expect to save if I do it in April instead of now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pthighs posted:

Thanks, so I guess the next question is: how much can I expect prices to drop on the monitor and various components in the next 6 months? It sounds like the economics of computer parts are a bit more complex now and you can't count on steadily dropping prices. How much can I reasonably expect to save if I do it in April instead of now?

The new crop of monitors will be showcased at CES in January. That might or might not drop the prices on the current models.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im doing a new build with a ryzen 1600, can I get a recommendation for a decent aircooler for overclocking somewhere around 4.0 lottery permitted? Im using fairly normal RAM in a normal ATX case so height shouldnt be a major issue. I really like the way several of the bequiet ones look but im not sure how much is enough.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The new crop of monitors will be showcased at CES in January. That might or might not drop the prices on the current models.

Cool, thanks. I'll wait until then and see what happens. I can wait a bit, it sounds like the play is to pick up a "cheap" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor, and a 1070 or 1080, and associated CPU and motherboard. If I can I'll wait until they are one generation behind to try to get some price savings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

im doing a new build with a ryzen 1600, can I get a recommendation for a decent aircooler for overclocking somewhere around 4.0 lottery permitted? Im using fairly normal RAM in a normal ATX case so height shouldnt be a major issue. I really like the way several of the bequiet ones look but im not sure how much is enough.

Look into the Cryorig H5 - it's the big brother of the H7. They make two versions - a standard and a 'universal' that's designed to fit on more boards without clearance issues.

Their biggest model is the H1: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAD7H5EX5727

And here's the "Universal" model for the same price: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF1H68919

-----

Also, Newegg currently has 8700Ks in stock (as of 2:47am EST), and if you're a subscriber to their emails, the promo code EMCBBCD226 brings it down to $399. The Masterpass promo code is $25 off, though - and you can't stack codes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 23, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those look great but do i need their biggest for my needs or should I get the h5

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Those look great but do i need their biggest for my needs or should I get the h5

You shouldn't, but it ultimately comes down to what you want to spend. The H7 is $29, the H5 (Universal or Ultimate) is $47 with the AM4 bracket included (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3704726), and the H1 is $70.

But yeah, I'd say the H5's a good compromise, even though it's a $23 price difference between it and the H1, and there's really no such thing as overkill when it comes to cooling.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 23, 2017

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
I can't believe I've done it, but I've gone ahead and ordered an i7 8700k when I still have a perfectly good i5 3570k at 4.4Ghz.

Anyway, my question is; Will my overclocking be limited by my NH-U14S without delidding? Is it worthwhile getting a h110i or something like that while I'm at it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kintamarama posted:

I can't believe I've done it, but I've gone ahead and ordered an i7 8700k when I still have a perfectly good i5 3570k at 4.4Ghz.

Anyway, my question is; Will my overclocking be limited by my NH-U14S without delidding? Is it worthwhile getting a h110i or something like that while I'm at it?

The Noctua will likely perform on par with the H110i on quiet or even normal mode. Definitely check to see if you need to order a new bracket, though - you shouldn't have to, but it's worth checking.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm looking to ride out the rest of current gen and as much of next gen as possible running 1080p60 at High, but I feel like I overspecced in my build. Given that I'm really only willing to stick with Intel/NVidia due to dumb reasons, is there anywhere I can pare down the components to save on some cash? I guess I should wait until BF/CM before looking at prices?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Dell)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1414.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-22 17:17 EST-0500

Well, if you want a current Intel processor and a 1070 then you're gonna have to pay what they cost. A current i5 is definitely overkill for current generation games but if the historical trend keeps going on it's gonna last you at least four or five years without much problem. I can think of one or a few options to pinch a few pennies though:

- You're paying quite a premium for the Asus brand name and reputation on the motherboard. You can easily save at least $50 by switching to, say, an Asrock Z370 Extreme4 without sacrificing any meaningful functionality or overclocking potential.

- Similarly, the 1070 you have there is a solid choice but you're paying a bit extra for the brand, a factory overclock and getting the same cooler as on the Asus GTX 1080. You can save maybe $20-30 by getting a dual-fan design from some other manufacturer. Just don't get a single-fan blower, you'll go nuts from the noise.

- $90 sounds kinda expensive for a 650W PSU. You can probably switch down to 550W for this build (with the caveat that you might have to upgrade it later if you want to upgrade to a GPU), and there are good budget options with solid voltage regulation and high efficiency around these days, especially if you're willing to compromise a bit on modularity. See if you can get a Seasonic Focus Plus or something for maybe $70. PSU reviews aren't exactly exciting reading but Jonnyguru has them if you're feeling doubtful.

- You could switch to a non-K CPU and an even cheaper motherboard if you're not going to overclock.

Do you not have any previous PC to cannibalize for things like drives or a case either?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 23, 2017

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Noctua will likely perform on par with the H110i on quiet or even normal mode. Definitely check to see if you need to order a new bracket, though - you shouldn't have to, but it's worth checking.

That's a relief! Paying for this stuff in AUD makes it sting that much more. Oh yeah, a quick look at Noctua's site shows the bracket is 115x, so I'm all good there.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Kintamarama posted:

I went from an identically OC'd 3570k to an 8600k @ 5ghz (delidded, w/ NH-D15). It's a huge upgrade, you will like it.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015
I'm wondering, would Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with Intel i7 8700k support dual 4k 60Hz monitors without discrete GPU? Looking at specification, ports themselves should do just fine (HDMI 2.0, DP 1.2 and ThunderBolt 3), but are there any other limitations I should know about?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Chrungka posted:

I'm wondering, would Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with Intel i7 8700k support dual 4k 60Hz monitors without discrete GPU? Looking at specification, ports themselves should do just fine (HDMI 2.0, DP 1.2 and ThunderBolt 3), but are there any other limitations I should know about?

It should work. The Intel UHD 630 still doesn't have HDMI 2.0 support built in, it needs a support chip (called a LSPCON) on the motherboard for it, but the particular motherboard you linked is one of the few Z370 boards that has one of those (you can tell since it explicitly says it supports 4k@60 over HDMI, and it also shows up on some HTPC nerd forums). The GPU itself supports up to three 4k monitors.

(You might have known all this already since you picked the mobo you did)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 23, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are the super cool cases nowadays? I'm looking at this case but I wouldn't mind something in a different color like orange or purple.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are the super cool cases nowadays? I'm looking at this case but I wouldn't mind something in a different color like orange or purple.

Bitfenix has a bunch of funky colour cases.
Phanteks has some cool designs.
Fractal design are pretty basic looking but nice quality.

Those plus Corsairs are my top picks usually.

I’d post some pics but phone posting.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tempered glass and seizure-inducing RGB is what all the cool kids are rocking these days.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
What processor/motherboard combo should I be looking at if I'm looking to build a heavy gaming machine but I do not intend to overclock?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Ravarek posted:

What processor/motherboard combo should I be looking at if I'm looking to build a heavy gaming machine but I do not intend to overclock?

Cheapest z370 board you can get and an 8700. 8400 if your budget is tighter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

priznat posted:

Bitfenix has a bunch of funky colour cases.
Phanteks has some cool designs.
Fractal design are pretty basic looking but nice quality.

Those plus Corsairs are my top picks usually.

I’d post some pics but phone posting.

In the interest of entertainment, this is what I've been rocking the last ten years through numerous upgrades:

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811119117?_ga=2.175152998.513010992.1511461305-449233765.1511461305

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

NZXT's new machine learning case is really good and in purple, just tear out the useless machine learning parts :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Arivia posted:

NZXT's new machine learning case is really good and in purple, just tear out the useless machine learning parts :v:

I tried to figure out what the hell a machine learning case is and my brain told me to stop.

Something for training AI I guess?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:pcgaming: gamer aesthetic: FSP CMT510 :pcgaming:

If you just want something that isn't completely black (like every other case on the planet), most of NZXT's cases can be had with a bunch of different color highlights and they seem pretty well thought out in general. Fractal Design's Focus G is also available in a few different colors but I hope you want a gigantic window on the side.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

$70 for a RM650X. Seems like a pretty good deal. Here.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFluff posted:

If you just want something that isn't completely black (like every other case on the planet), most of NZXT's cases can be had with a bunch of different color highlights and they seem pretty well thought out in general. Fractal Design's Focus G is also available in a few different colors but I hope you want a gigantic window on the side.

that does not seem like anywhere near a large enough gap on the front panel, how are the thermals?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fauxtool posted:

that does not seem like anywhere near a large enough gap on the front panel, how are the thermals?

No idea, it was introduced like a week ago so nobody reputable has reviewed it yet as far as I can tell. It wasn't really a serious suggestion, it was more to illustrate the "tempered glass and seizure LED's" aesthetic mentioned a few posts above mine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought that guy was kidding about glass cases. :psyduck:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought that guy was kidding about glass cases. :psyduck

windows are so 2016, these days both case sides have to be all glass dude :frogc00l:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

TheFluff posted:

As terrible as this is, the presentation materials are pretty well done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t put LEDs in but I think the tempered glass side cases look nice :shobon:

Good noise isolation too I have heard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have this monitor, is the 1080 GTX still the end all for maxing out 1080p? I'm away from home and can't remember which CPU I have, though I know it's an LGA1150 i5 of some kind, and I'm running a 970 GTX. Is there a cheaper solution than the 1080 GTX for ensuring 144+ FPS at all times?

Edit: I believe it is i5-4670k or i5-4690k. I bought a CPU that could be overclocked but not a mobo that could as the CPU was on sale.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have this monitor, is the 1080 GTX still the end all for maxing out 1080p? I'm away from home and can't remember which CPU I have, though I know it's an LGA1150 i5 of some kind, and I'm running a 970 GTX. Is there a cheaper solution than the 1080 GTX for ensuring 144+ FPS at all times?

Edit: I believe it is i5-4670k or i5-4690k. I bought a CPU that could be overclocked but not a mobo that could as the CPU was on sale.

At 1080p 144Hz, a GTX 1070 will be enough for the foreseeable future.