Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eVcMdxBI&hd=1

Truly, a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao travoltas physically accurate stunt double:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love how the 04 movie fully embraced the absurdity of a lot of Ennis' characters. You couldn't do an accurate version of like, The Russian in the netflix series, but they did it and it was entirely at home in that movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Javid posted:

I love how the 04 movie fully embraced the absurdity of a lot of Ennis' characters. You couldn't do an accurate version of like, The Russian in the netflix series, but they did it and it was entirely at home in that movie.

Sure you could. I want to see The Russian beating up Jon Bernthal while bragging that he's the founder of the Daredevil fan club

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So far I'm finding punisher a bit boring, but I really, really liked the scene at the start of E10 where curtis tries to set the birds free and they stay in their cage. I kind of wish he was a more sympathetic character to go along with that scene though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

So far I'm finding punisher a bit boring, but I really, really liked the scene at the start of E10 where curtis tries to set the birds free and they stay in their cage. I kind of wish he was a more sympathetic character to go along with that scene though.

Hot take: the birds are a metaphor for Lewis and Frank.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hotter take: Lewis is sympathetic as gently caress.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

what

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Watching clips of this movie hits home how Hans Zimmerfied music in movies has become.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

esperterra posted:

I agree with this- Lewis is basically how the Punisher would be IRL and it's a cool aspect of the story.

I kinda want to see punisher imitators in the next season to see Frank get really mad about it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just because he made the wrong choices in the end doesn't do away with how well the show made me feel for him before he built that bomb. The scene with his father when he wakes up in a panic was what got this show's hooks into me early on.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

esperterra posted:

His character arc is fascinating, even though it ultimately dissolves into him basically going insane.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Javid posted:

Punisher Warzone is legit a great movie and Tom Jane does a solid job in it. The Russian fight is probably my favourite scene in that movie from the moment the Punisher stabs him and the The Russian just pulls the knife out and slowly forces it back into frank.

Honestly given how they were constantly talking up Frank caring about Karen Page, I assumed what they were going for was to have Frank Castle be done with the Punisher and have gotten out but due to the Kingpin going after Matt and everyone he knows/cares about, its going to inevitably pull Frank back into things. They've had the set up between the two already anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

kingcom posted:

Punisher Warzone is legit a great movie and Tom Jane does a solid job in it. The Russian fight is probably my favourite scene in that movie from the moment the Punisher stabs him and the The Russian just pulls the knife out and slowly forces it back into frank.

Honestly given how they were constantly talking up Frank caring about Karen Page, I assumed what they were going for was to have Frank Castle be done with the Punisher and have gotten out but due to the Kingpin going after Matt and everyone he knows/cares about, its going to inevitably pull Frank back into things. They've had the set up between the two already anyway.

That was OG punisher. War Zone is the absurd cartoonish one with Titus loving Pullo.

I really like both.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
how much does Frank feature in DDS2? I can't stand DD but wouldn't mind seeing more Punisher

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bunnyofdoom posted:

That was OG punisher. War Zone is the absurd cartoonish one with Titus loving Pullo.

I really like both.

I think OG Punisher has to be the Dolph Lundgren one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JawKnee posted:

how much does Frank feature in DDS2? I can't stand DD but wouldn't mind seeing more Punisher

Heavily in the first 4 episodes and then mildly throughout the series as well.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really like both.

Oh right I get that confused. I definitely like both but for completely different reasons.

JawKnee posted:

A lot, hes the primary focus of the first half of the season. Watch the show until Elektra shows up then youtube 'punisher prison corridor fight scene'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just finished and I thought this show was amazing. I went in expecting a good performance out from Bernthal and got it, but it was the secondary cast that really made the show go from good to great. Lewis in particular stood out, but every one else really sold their roles too.

There were only two things that bugged me. One was gun control senator. The show seemed to go out of it's way to make him look like a hypocritical coward, while all of the heroes rightly chose to carry weapons like it's the wild west or something :911:

I can see why they thought this series should be pushed back a couple weeks after that Las Vegas massacre.

The other thing that seemed like a misstep to me was making Lewis so competent. I bought Frank and Russo being able to pull off what they did since they were comic book special forces guys. Lewis to me seemed more like the average soldier who goes to war, gets thrown into a meat grinder, then just ejected back into civilian life I don't know, maybe the average army guy does get trained in how to make IEDs, or he could have been a ordinance disposal guy and I just missed that bit of dialogue. It just seemed off to me.

Overall this is probably my favorite of the netflix marvel shows so far.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

JawKnee posted:

His character was all wrong in DD and the storyline was a bit of a mess,he's been better portrayed in this standalone series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Someone else who liked Tom Jane punisher? Slap hands!

esperterra posted:

Make that three of us!

Four! :hfive: :hfive:

Don't forget your laundry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Just started Luke cage. What song is cottenmouth playing on the keyboard? I know it but can't place it.

I think it might be time in a bottle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

His character was all wrong in DD and the storyline was a bit of a mess,he's been better portrayed in this standalone series.

Yeah in DD2 he seems malicious (yes, more malicious than in the Punisher show).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

kingcom posted:

I wish they would've got Dominic West back to play Jigsaw again for the show.

Edit: Warzone was the Punisher after Tom Jane, Tom Jane was just The Punisher, and it was pg13 so a lot of people hated it before even watching it.

dont even fink about it posted:

yeah but to be fair it was pretty much immediately after his family was murdered, as opposed to 6 months after.

Edit again: also just curious, who knows what boots Punisher wears in the show?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Punisher video game is a loving blast too.

It starts out with generic "Frank Castle murders mobsters" but quickly goes nuts. You travel to a tropical island to kill rogue russians with Nick Fury. You shoot up Stark Industries and fight bootleg Iron Man suits. Its legitimately awesome and a drat shame it doesn't get more love.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
oh poo poo you talking about the old arcade side-scroller? I remember that game, that game loving ruled

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Five! :hfive:

Jane was perfect for that role and I find that movie way better than War Zone, just couldn't get into that one.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Galvanik posted:

I just finished and I thought this show was amazing. I went in expecting a good performance out from Bernthal and got it, but it was the secondary cast that really made the show go from good to great. Lewis in particular stood out, but every one else really sold their roles too.

There were only two things that bugged me. One was gun control senator. The show seemed to go out of it's way to make him look like a hypocritical coward, while all of the heroes rightly chose to carry weapons like it's the wild west or something :911:

I can see why they thought this series should be pushed back a couple weeks after that Las Vegas massacre.

The other thing that seemed like a misstep to me was making Lewis so competent. I bought Frank and Russo being able to pull off what they did since they were comic book special forces guys. Lewis to me seemed more like the average soldier who goes to war, gets thrown into a meat grinder, then just ejected back into civilian life I don't know, maybe the average army guy does get trained in how to make IEDs, or he could have been a ordinance disposal guy and I just missed that bit of dialogue. It just seemed off to me.

Overall this is probably my favorite of the netflix marvel shows so far.

I think his competence was really extreme, but also fit his character in a lot of ways. Remember, he was good at being a soldier, which is why he so easily built his identity around it; he was decently smart, creative, not an idiot fuckup who had washed out of everything. That's why it's a tragedy. Not to mention, it goes along with a major theme of this season: America is excellent at making soldiers. Where they stumble is actually taking care of them. Making him a lazy idiot type of person or even just of average competence would've defeated a lot of the purpose, in my eyes, because Lewis being this terrifying person thrown back from the meat grinder and unable to do anything due to his mental issues, despite being competent and driven, is what his whole subplot was about.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

JawKnee posted:

oh poo poo you talking about the old arcade side-scroller? I remember that game, that game loving ruled

I was talking about the original xbox/ps2 entry, but I forgot about the badass sidescroller too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Watching clips of this movie hits home how Hans Zimmerfied music in movies has become.

Thomas Jane Punisher does laundry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
He even had the competence and demeanour to be a good leader. He needed a purpose, and he was either denied that purpose by Anvil, or that purpose was manipulative and twisted like all the second amendment stuff.

He was disillusioned by the military just like Frank was, by the corruption of those who they are trained to be trust implicitly through the chain of command. The only thing is, Frank has actual targets he can take that betrayal out on, via a rogue CIA, Soldiers and Paramilitary types, previously gangsters and drug runners. Lewis doesn’t have a target other than the nebulous system, and when a highly competent soldier decides to avenge his betrayal on a system via his trained talents, what you end up with is a terrorist.

That’s why while ‘you and I are the same’ is a trope truly worn down to the nub, here is a place where it’s very clear that was the intent, even if it spent a lot of time not being spelled out to the viewer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was talking about the original xbox/ps2 entry, but I forgot about the badass sidescroller too.

Actually, that one (the third person slaughterer, right) made it to PC too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The only punisher comics I've seriously read have been the MAX comics so when I think of The punisher it's the MAX version,DD punisher just seemed like a mad dog which made sense for an origin story but this solo show was more of a step in the right direction.

I just wish berenthal was taller......

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Punisher is wearing all terrain military boots, colloquially referred to in some places as ‘jungle boots’. You can find them at any Army/Navy surplus store; and they can be easily and reliably waterproofed if they don’t come that way.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Edit: Warzone was the Punisher after Tom Jane, Tom Jane was just The Punisher, and it was pg13 so a lot of people hated it before even watching it.

Thomas Jane Punisher was rated R, it was just at a normal R rated action movie level of violence, not as brutal and over the top as the others.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nael posted:

Thomas Jane Punisher was rated R, it was just at a normal R rated action movie level of violence, not as brutal and over the top as the others.

I remember people were real mad about the scene where he tricks the guy into thinking he's torching him in lieu of actually torching him. That wouldn't happen in the Punisher comics, they said!

That scene was taken line for line from a Punisher comic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SpannerX posted:

Just started Luke cage. What song is cottenmouth playing on the keyboard? I know it but can't place it.

I think it might be time in a bottle.

You got me curious and so far I'm turning up nothing. I think it's just an improved chord progression piece.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blade Runner posted:

I think his competence was really extreme, but also fit his character in a lot of ways. Remember, he was good at being a soldier, which is why he so easily built his identity around it; he was decently smart, creative, not an idiot fuckup who had washed out of everything. That's why it's a tragedy. Not to mention, it goes along with a major theme of this season: America is excellent at making soldiers. Where they stumble is actually taking care of them. Making him a lazy idiot type of person or even just of average competence would've defeated a lot of the purpose, in my eyes, because Lewis being this terrifying person thrown back from the meat grinder and unable to do anything due to his mental issues, despite being competent and driven, is what his whole subplot was about.

Also, I think they did say Lewis was Army EOD.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wasn't a fan of Lewis at first, but it definitely grew on me when I realized that he was a realistic version of the punisher.

I still want to hate that stolen valor guy from the group that kicked off his descent, but I'm mostly just happy to see Landsman still getting work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blade Runner posted:

Yeah, making Lewis competent enough to home make bombs, physically defeat others, hold off several dozen cops/Anvils and hold hostages...these aren't like ideal expressions of strategy, but it shows he has a working mind and if treated for his mental illness, that drive and his intelligence could be channeled into something productive. Instead, he's essentially left to languish and he latches onto the first "mission" he's offered, and he just goes further down the rabbit hole from there.