Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The recent positive press this game got encouraged me to give it a shot. I love how mindlessly fun it is, but I also have no idea what I'm doing and I think I spent some of my initial platinum on a weapon by mistake. Oh well.

Should I be reading any guides to "maximise" my experience at these low levels, or can I just play the game and hope to learn as I go? I don't particularly want to min-max anything, for what it's worth. I just want to play a cool robot with powerful melee attacks.

If anyone wants to play together on PS4 my PSN name is CaptSpacebeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Montalvo posted:

The recent positive press this game got encouraged me to give it a shot. I love how mindlessly fun it is, but I also have no idea what I'm doing and I think I spent some of my initial platinum on a weapon by mistake. Oh well.

Should I be reading any guides to "maximise" my experience at these low levels, or can I just play the game and hope to learn as I go? I don't particularly want to min-max anything, for what it's worth. I just want to play a cool robot with powerful melee attacks.

Luckily for you, 99% of the game does not require minmaxing. The choice is your really as to whether you want to learn as you go, or read a guide. That said, the wiki will tell you just about anything you might want to know. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm also in that new 'I think I'm probably playing bad but this is still fun' player chunk and I'm still loving just running around with my bow and kunai on my Frost. No clue what the ~optimal~ build to shoot for is but being a sneaky Sub-Zero ice ninja is my jam and works just fine.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Montalvo posted:

You might benefit from an understanding of the damage system but you can sum it up quickly :

Vs Corpus : Impact + Magnetic.
Vs Grinner : Puncture + Corosive.
Vs Infected : Slash + Gas.
Vs Corrupted(Void) : Impact + Viral

No real need to mix-max or in-depth guide up to the quest "The second dream". Its a big lore important quest (some may argue its the defining one) and after that you unlock the focus system that might need some reading if you want to understand the choices the game ask of you.

I started to feel the need to get my poo poo in order, plan builds a little and stop using any random weapons when i faced mobs around level 30 (Uranus and upward). I could still get fine in groups, but solo play was turning into a slog seasoned with mission failures.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5Sfl5i0mY

These loving pokes man(got a range riven for it)

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
What’s up with the PS4 clan? Just downloaded this on recommendation from a friend. This game is awesome definitely my new timesink. My PSN is TerpFarmer420.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
How often are the sortie nightmare mods available as alert rewards? I missed the wildfire one when I could have done it and want to know if that was a big mistake :ohdear:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

How often are the sortie nightmare mods available as alert rewards? I missed the wildfire one when I could have done it and want to know if that was a big mistake :ohdear:

I think once you finish all the nodes on a planet there are nightmare missions available pretty regularly. You just get a random mod instead of a chosen one.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

aleksendr posted:

You might benefit from an understanding of the damage system but you can sum it up quickly :

No real need to mix-max or in-depth guide up to the quest "The second dream". Its a big lore important quest (some may argue its the defining one) and after that you unlock the focus system that might need some reading if you want to understand the choices the game ask of you.

I started to feel the need to get my poo poo in order, plan builds a little and stop using any random weapons when i faced mobs around level 30 (Uranus and upward). I could still get fine in groups, but solo play was turning into a slog seasoned with mission failures.

While the physical damage types are useful, there is almost never any reason to use the physical damage mods (outside of specific situations like for slash status), let alone really even worry about the physical damage types, because they are 99% of the time far inferior to an elemental mod. Physical damage mods only add +% that specific damage type, while the elemental mods add +% ALL damage on a weapon. So if a weapon is, say , 50/50 impact and slash, a slash or impact mod will only increase damage by half as much as any elemental mod. This also means you cannot add a physical damage type to a weapon that doesn't already have it.

Corrosive+blast is an all around good damage setup to have if you want to be lazy and not switch all the time or worry about min/maxing. It has, I believe, the fewest enemies strong against it, while a lot of high hit point enemies like grineer heavy gunners and especially infested ancients/boilers/etc are weak to it. While weaker enemies may not be specifically vulnerable to it, the sheer damage you're doing will be more than enough to kill them.

It also works especially great on the sonicor for the blast proc that will send enemies into orbit.

Cheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 23, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cheeseman posted:

This also means you cannot add a physical damage type to a weapon that doesn't already have it.

based on the fact that i added impact to a daikyu last night i think this statement may not be accurate.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

based on the fact that i added impact to a daikyu last night i think this statement may not be accurate.

Daikyu already has 100 impact damage.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sininu posted:

Daikyu already has 100 impact damage.

now I'm confused what those numbers i see on the mod screen are

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

RFC2324 posted:

now I'm confused what those numbers i see on the mod screen are

Impact is the hammer, slash is the slashing crescent thing, and pierce is the circle with a line coming out the middle.

Edit: most physical type weapons (bullets and swords and such) have all three to some extent, while mlsome elemental weapons have only a single element and no physical damage. You can't add physical damage types that the weapon doesn't already have, but you can add new elements.

Zelmel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 23, 2017

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Helter Skelter posted:

Since you can just extract at 5 minutes, you don't actually need any life support aside from what gets dropped in normally. So you can just bring some energy pizzas if you're not running Zenurik and be invisible with whatever frame you like being invisible with while just ignoring all enemies entirely.

Oh. :downs:

I'll try that next time.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Zelmel posted:

Impact is the hammer, slash is the slashing crescent thing, and pierce is the circle with a line coming out the middle.

The mods that + those damage types also have the icon on them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

kxZyle posted:

I got a "do a L30 survival mission without killing anyone" riven yesterday and the guides I found all said to use Ivara. Loki would've been much better. With Ivara I pickpocketed the 15 enemies the map spawned then slowly jumped between containers, scavenging modules. With Loki I could have zoomed across the map much faster, and with Irradiated Disarm I actually could've got some of those enemies killed to spawn new ones and get me more modules.

Loki is the answer to like half of this game's challenges.

Rhino is also great for those, just armor up and run from spawned life support drop to live support smashing boxes and opening lockers along the way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I did an alert and got a bobblehead doll for my ship. This game extremely knows what I like.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zelmel posted:

Edit: most physical type weapons (bullets and swords and such) have all three to some extent, while mlsome elemental weapons have only a single element and no physical damage. You can't add physical damage types that the weapon doesn't already have, but you can add new elements.

Yeah, I got that, and I'm pretty sure there was SOME weapon I was modding last night that went from 0->6.6 impact. I wish I had been high so I had an excuse :eng99:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I haven't played in months and... it looks like they've added actual farming? Based on the posts about it and how badly my eyes glaze over while reading them, it seems pretty obtuse. Is it?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I haven't played in months and... it looks like they've added actual farming? Based on the posts about it and how badly my eyes glaze over while reading them, it seems pretty obtuse. Is it?

Mining and fishing. You trace outlines with a laser to mine, and you throw spears to fish. The obtuse bit is that Warframe thing where nothing is explained.

I find it extremely boring, but some people are into it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

You have 2 opportunity :

1 - Nightmare missions appear on a planet once you have cleared every nodes on it. You then get one nightmare mission on that tileset/planet every 8 hours. Nightmare mods rewards are random. (From the wiki drop table, Wildfire drop from easy (T1) nodes, so earth, mercury, venus.)

2- Nightmare alerts are completely random (more are available during prime time and week-ends) but will give you the mod specified in the alert as reward.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

aleksendr posted:

Corpus = Toxic to ignore shields
Grinner = Corrosive (Radiation for Bombards and Napalms)
Infected = Also Corrosive, the infested grunt units are weak to gas but if you need to mod for them you have other problems.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

aegof posted:

Mining and fishing. You trace outlines with a laser to mine, and you throw spears to fish. The obtuse bit is that Warframe thing where nothing is explained.

I find it extremely boring, but some people are into it.

The first time I saw somebody mining I thought they were drawing a dick. Was super disappointed with the reality there.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Menstrual Show posted:

The first time I saw somebody mining I thought they were drawing a dick. Was super disappointed with the reality there.

Why not both?

While I am here: How do people get Augments? Is it via trade for platinum?

I can see that I will eventually get one, maybe two syndicates up to max but there is no way I am going beyond that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Cheeseman posted:

Damage preferences

Sandweed posted:

Damage preferences

See why i said you would benefit from understanding it ? There are a lot of way to build your weapon damage mods and nobody agree completely on what is best aside the most obvious choices.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Anyone got a recommendation on how many Nyth and Sentirum i should stock up on before Plague Star ends and they become a pain to gather again?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RossCo posted:

Why not both?

While I am here: How do people get Augments? Is it via trade for platinum?

I can see that I will eventually get one, maybe two syndicates up to max but there is no way I am going beyond that.

Plat is easy, but I always had success with augment-for-augment trades. PC clan usually has a vet or two around with more standing than they need, so you might even get them for nothing.

b00n
May 8, 2007

aleksendr posted:

See why i said you would benefit from understanding it ? There are a lot of way to build your weapon damage mods and nobody agree completely on what is best aside the most obvious choices.

I can tell you that Magnetic is completely useless as long as Toxin works the way it does.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

New update released

quote:

BAZA
Make easy prey of enemies with this quiet, agile, and pinpoint accurate Tenno submachine gun.

CASSOWAR
Light and nimble, the twin blades of this polearm will swoop and slice through throngs of hardened foes.

*Baza and Cassowar Blueprints can be researched in your Clan Dojo’s Tenno Lab.

SYRINX ARMOR
Styled to match the Baza submachine gun and the Cassowar polearm, this armor gives a regal look to any Warframe.

SYRINX CHEST PLATE
SYRINX LEG PLATES
SYRINX SHOULDER PLATES

BAZA COLLECTION
Stalk enemies with this deadly collection. Includes the Baza submachine gun, Cassowar polearm, and Syrinx armor.

*The Baza Collection is available for purchase in the In-Game Market.

Mirage Sleight of Hand Changes:

In addition to booby trapping nearby objects, Mirage’s Sleight of Hand now spawns a jewel that attracts near by enemies! If Sleight of Hand is used with Hall of Mirrors, each of her clones will also place a smaller jewel with a smaller enemy attraction. The jewel Damage, Blind Duration, and Range increases with the level of Sleight of Hand.

If the jewel is placed in the light, it will deliver a radial explosion to nearby enemies.
If the jewel is placed in the dark, it will deliver a radial blind to nearby enemies.

*Jewels will be auto-destroyed if they go unused after 20 seconds.

General Additions:

A Mastery Rank 25 test has been added!
Changes:

Improvements towards the overall transition from the Plains to Cetus. This includes better handling of attempting to join a Host that was in the middle of transitioning to Cetus from the Plains, which sometimes resulted in either leaving the squad or loading into different Cetus instances.
Returned the Plague Keewar Strike to a Scythe Stance when used with one handed Grips.
To fix Tusk Seeker Drones lingering indefinitely and continuously calling in Grineer Reinforcements (even after you’ve ran far away), the Alarm Drone now destroys itself when you are 100 meters away.
Companions now try to get out of your way (ie. behind the player camera) when Spear Fishing/Mining in the Plains.
Improved the pathing of the hijacked Drone in the Plains. This also fixes issues where the Drone would become stuck on it’s way to the Boil in Operation: Plague Star.
Made some very simple tweaks to Octavia’s Metronome (basically cut the pixels being rendered for it in half) to improve the performance of the FX, while at the same time reducing a bit of the visual clutter from full rings being around you.
Improvements towards performance issues that was caused by lingering (yet invisible) reticles even when the respective weapon was no longer being held.
Bounty Changes and Fixes:

Focus Lenses are now rewarded less frequently as Tier 3 and 4 Bounty rewards. This also shuffled around some other Bounty reward frequencies to balance the mix.
Fixed not being able to Capture an enemy if you died attempting your first Capture during a Bounty.
Fixes:

Fixed being able to Vacuum up the Sky Archwing Enablers in the Plains.
Fixed having a player join while a session is paused resulting in all players unable to move.
Fixed the End of Mission screen upon returning to Cetus from the Plains not showing Affinity gained on not fully Ranked weapons, Warframes, Companions, etc. This was leading to confusion on if you were losing that gained Affinity or if it was simply not displaying it.
Fixed not seeing any of your squadmate stats in the End of Mission screen when returning to Cetus from the Plains as the Host.
Fixed seeing no extraction marker in the Plains when a squad member transitions to Cetus.
Fixed the remaining Client post-Host migration joining the Client who left the squad instead of the new Host in the Plains.
Fixed the Zenith disc firing cancelling whatever Warframe Ability cast animation you were currently performing.
Fixed losing all UI elements if you died in the tunnel upon returning to Cetus from the Plains and the End of Mission screen revived you.
Fixed the Sprint toggle being reset when using a Melee weapon which resulted in lost momentum.
Fixed doing self-damage if you equip Whirlwind, Power Throw and Quick Return on your Glaive Prime.
Fixed being able to Switch Teleport Excavators with Loki.
Fixed the Kronsh not playing proper Hammer hit sounds.
Fixed the Sniper combo counter not ticking down when firing unscoped.
Fixed a large amount of dialog missing when replaying Octavia’s Anthem as per: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/880007-soo-much-dialogue-is-not-used-in-octavias-anthem-replay/
Fixed Ivara’s Navigator causing Exodia Contagion projectiles to get stuck floating in the air.
Fixed not being able to control Exodia Contagion projectiles with Ivara’s Navigator (enjoy, DK).
Fixes towards Exodia Epidemic causing enemies to get knocked down twice and remain permanently inactive.
Fixed not being able to scroll through all your Affinity gained items on the End of Mission screen.
Fixed Fragments in the Codex not displaying which planet you discovered them on.
Fixed minimap Mining markers lingering for the Advanced Nosam Cutter when the tool is put away.
Fixed minimap Mining markers lingering for the Advanced Nosam Cutter for Clients if the Host has their Cutter out.
Fixed Dargyns (and Ogma while its arms are destroyed) being too passive against the Sky Archwing Tenno.
Fixed experiencing a black screen when using a controller and pressing B on the Saya’s Vigil End of Mission screen.
Fixed the crosshair and Sniper scope vanishing after using the Nosam Cutter as Limbo.
Fixed Clients suffering from a 3 year-long stiff neck ailment.
Fixed Sugatras being placed in the middle of the Guandao instead of on one of the ends.
Fixed an issue where the distance for a very far waypoint would not include the distance between the target and the last point on the calculated path.
Fixed Dual Pistols clipping through Ember/Ember Prime’s leg when equipped with the Vermillion Skin.
Fixed a blocking volume blocking your Operator Void Beam in the Mastery Rank 24 test.
Fixed Carrier’s smoke FX glowing in the dark.
Fixed a script error that would occur if a Tar Moa was killed while its tar was in mid-air.
Fixed doing enough damage to an Ancient Healer resulting in a significant performance drop.
Fixed Nyx being able to create allied Infested by Mind Controlling a Boiler and then Melee attacking it. This caused an infinite amount of friendly Infested to be spawned from the Boiler spawn pods - which is pretty cool but not intended.
Fixed Octavia’s Resonator Roller not animating when rolling.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

b00n posted:

I can tell you that Magnetic is completely useless as long as Toxin works the way it does.

I'm not going to pretend i am any veteran and fully understand Warframe since up to a week ago i was not even understanding how elemental damage and status worked.

But i did try a mostly toxin loadout against corpus on Jupiter-Europa and sure, you absolutely chew trough all types of crewmen, but i got my rear end handed by the first robotic eximus and big MOA waves where problematic.

It all depend on your weapon, frame, playstyle and enemy level. Going toxin heavy might be "best" in early-mid corpus zones but I'm having much better results in Neptune and Pluto by going magnetic.

That or Hek + Scatered Justice is just so good it could wreck anything regardless of my damage type.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also wanna say this game has maybe the most satisfying bow of any game I've ever played? The combo of a STRONG ragdoll game already existing with the hilarious pinning/shoot through death animations it does means this will always be my favorite weapon type.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will any high-status gun inflict slash or does it need somehthing more specific? Also is there either a best breed or a good setup for ensuring my Kubrow is attacking things and not goofing off? I want to screw around with the Hunter set.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sexpig by night posted:

I also wanna say this game has maybe the most satisfying bow of any game I've ever played? The combo of a STRONG ragdoll game already existing with the hilarious pinning/shoot through death animations it does means this will always be my favorite weapon type.

You'll eventually get a bow that splits people in half.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Pierson posted:

Will any high-status gun inflict slash or does it need somehthing more specific? Also is there either a best breed or a good setup for ensuring my Kubrow is attacking things and not goofing off? I want to screw around with the Hunter set.

You can have high status Primary, Secondary or Melee for all physical damage type.

The zhuge (A repeating crossbow) is 75 Puncture, 20 slash and 5 impact with 35% status

The Boar prime(shotgun) is 27 Puncture, 36 slash and 120 impact with 30% status

The Marelock (pistol) is a mix of Impact and slash with 30% status.

and so on.

While some weapons are superior, no weapon is completely useless and if you bring Riven mods in the mix some real stinkers can outshine a 8 forma Soma Prime.

Try out stuff and find something that work with your frame and playstyle. Playing Rhino or some tanky frame ? Go shotgun, you can afford to soak some hits. Playing fast and far with Nova or Zephyr ? Then go with high accuracy semi-auto rifles. Play with Ivara or Equinox and go stealthy with a bow and a silent secondary.

Fun fact : all melee weapons are silent, even the built in shotgun blast of the Redeemer.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Pierson posted:

You'll want a weapon with high slash damage and status to inflict procs reliably. With the hunter mod though any high crit weapon works, no slash actually required.

Huras and helminth are the best combat dogs.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

How's the new weapons? Anyone rush them yet?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pierson posted:

The chances for each status effect are based on what percentage of the total damage it is. For example, the Dread bow is 90% slash damage, so if you don't use any elemental mods, its status procs are going to be slash 9 out of 10 times. Meanwhile the Daikyu is 20% slash damage, so although it has higher status chance only 1 in 5 procs will be slash while the others are puncture or impact (which are comparatively pretty useless, but DE says they're getting buffed in damage 3.0).

Physical damage types also count 4x as much as elemental ones, so if you have a dread with 90 slash damage and 180 viral damage it'll still proc slash twice as often as it procs viral.

Basically: Is your status weapon mostly slash damage? Build for slash+viral, both of which ignore armor. Is your weapon mostly not slash damage? Build corrosive to reduce enemy armor instead, or maybe gas if you're fighting non-armored enemies.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 23, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You'll eventually get a bow which is an MIRV

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The chances for each status effect are based on what percentage of the total damage it is. For example, the Dread bow is 90% slash damage, so if you don't use any elemental mods, its status procs are going to be slash 9 out of 10 times. Meanwhile the Daikyu is 20% slash damage, so although it has higher status chance only 2 in 5 procs will be slash while the others are puncture or impact (which are comparatively pretty useless, but DE says they're getting buffed in damage 3.0).

Physical damage types also count 4x as much as elemental ones, so if you have a dread with 90 slash damage and 180 viral damage it'll still proc slash twice as often as it procs viral.

Basically: Is your status weapon mostly slash damage? Build for slash+viral, both of which ignore armor. Is your weapon mostly not slash damage? Build corrosive to reduce enemy armor instead, or maybe gas if you're fighting non-armored enemies.

Addendum: mods that add slash damage to weapons like Sweeping Serration (+120% slash) don't actually contribute to the size of the slash proc, but do influence the weighting of a slash proc happening. This is why you can see people running Sweeping Serration on the Tigris Prime, the absolute damage of the proc doesn't matter so much as getting more procs from your pellets. The lesson is to not bother putting slash boosting mods on your Atterax or anything (and also why the +physical damage mods are bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I tried one and the set seems fun but you just lose track of so much poo poo it's hard to recommend when I know I'm missing on a ton of drops.