Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ola posted:

:spergin: The Fairey Gannet is arguably a jet and definitely of the jet age. Still...

Oh snap, I didn’t check whether the Gannet was a turboprop. Oops.

I don’t think the Roc is really particularly ugly looking, other than whatever is going on with the tail. It was of course a complete dud but that shouldn’t factor in, otherwise the Christmas Bullet would win every ugly plane competition by virtue of not being able to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Speaking of British airliners, 40 years ago today/yesterday (depending on what timezone you're in) a certain plane starting flying the Heathrow-JFK route commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mt6AKKhq4

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Kinda cool and disappointing at the same time, whenever I hear Speedbird One at JFK... operated by an A320

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

Kinda cool and disappointing at the same time, whenever I hear Speedbird One at JFK... operated by an A320

Worse, an a318.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Worse, an a318.

Every time I see an A318, all I can hear is Eddie Deezen’s voice.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Worse, an a318.

Whatever

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Itzena posted:

Speaking of British airliners, 40 years ago today/yesterday (depending on what timezone you're in) a certain plane starting flying the Heathrow-JFK route commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mt6AKKhq4
God damnit stop reminding me we can't have cool poo poo like this anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPhY6V2dLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdHZnuSetPA

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can't work out if the Lightning is an aesthetically pleasing British jet or not

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

I can't work out if the Lightning is an aesthetically pleasing British jet or not

It's complicated. It has a certain stocky brutishness about it, plus it was a superstar. It's like how British football players get supermodel girlfriends even though they look like bouncers who has lost half the fights at the door.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Uggo just like the Comet.

Connies are cool though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Best looking British plane

fite me

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 23, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

[hotlinked img not displaying]

fite me

Well played.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ola posted:

Well played.

Whoops

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
In the theme of this thread, I'm at the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen today, which has full scale replicas of chunks of the Hindenburg, as well as a number of artifacts from historical airships and scale models.

Here's a random selection to start:
https://imgur.com/a/V2L4w

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Well, if you compare it to its successor in name, it becomes gorgeous.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Well this photo has taught me that overwing fuel tanks are a dealbreaker

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

Well this photo has taught me that overwing fuel tanks are a dealbreaker

The Lighting is a triumph of design, that’s just an unflattering pic of a later model with more lumps and bumps. She does look better from behind esp. with burners lit but I’m on my phone and can’t attach the pic I want to prove whoever said it was uggo wrong with.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

monkeytennis posted:

The Lighting is a triumph of design, that’s just an unflattering pic of a later model with more lumps and bumps. She does look better from behind esp. with burners lit but I’m on my phone and can’t attach the pic I want to prove whoever said it was uggo wrong with.

Imgur app my friend.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I like the lightning. It's like a twin engine English take on the Mig 21. I'd love it if they could make one for DCS world and duke it out.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dupersaurus posted:

fite me

:colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

NightGyr posted:

In the theme of this thread, I'm at the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen today, which has full scale replicas of chunks of the Hindenburg, as well as a number of artifacts from historical airships and scale models.

Here's a random selection to start:
https://imgur.com/a/V2L4w

:stoked:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Unf, piston engine de Havilland twins.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m an unabashed Lightning fanboy, I think it looks peak cold war as heck. The wing silhouette is especially cool how it’s almost a delta.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The wing silhouette is cool and the double engine stack in the back is cool, but that guppy belly, man. That guppy belly.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mekilljoydammit posted:

And they run off testosterone and the finest scotch

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

monkeytennis posted:

Who turned the shotgun sideways?

That plane seriously only looks good going and even that's not enough to save it

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just lol at British planes that aren’t a Spitfire, Comet, or Concorde.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

Just lol at British planes that aren’t a Spitfire, Comet, or Concorde.

I think Mossies and Brigands and various twin-booms look nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still think the Handley Page Victor is one of the scariest looking planes possibly ever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I still think the Handley Page Victor is one of the scariest looking planes possibly ever.

That too. Cathedral of death is right.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Here is a goon of taste.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

priznat posted:

That plane... At some angles it looks badass and aggressive as gently caress and some angles it looks super schlubby and derpy.

It's like when you see a face shot in a dating profile and think "oh she's hot" vs when you finally see a body shot :rimshot:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

That plane... At some angles it looks badass and aggressive as gently caress and some angles it looks super schlubby and derpy.

It's like when you see a face shot in a dating profile and think "oh she's hot" vs when you finally see a body shot :rimshot:

This is true, also the later modified versions look more aggro with all the extra bumps and fuel tanks and beige paint job.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
We Brits may have made some ugly military jets but we did turn out good-looking civils (mostly off the de Havilland drawing board): The Comet, the V-1000, the Trident, the HS-125, the VC-10, plus work on Concorde Even the 146 is well-proportioned with a good nose. The exception is the BAC 1-11, which is too fat and has the engines mounted too low (the F28 is much prettier).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The 146 is my favorite wee wittle jet :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't forget the Sea Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the Lightning is a big beautiful fighter jet that don't need no man

also yeah i would kill for a DCS Lightning module, and also an F-104 or -106 so we could have a cool 3-way between the MiG-21 and its contemporaries