Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blind Sally posted:

I've played the game multiple times and only ever gotten the dog ending???

You can only get the dog ending by getting at least one of the other endings first.

E: gently caress!

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

In the newest Hitman the controls are the first thing displayed on the pause screen. There's gently caress loads of games where the control scheme is hidden under like pause>options>controller>preset etc

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
He must have gotten silent hill 2 used, with an old save file on the cd, duh.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Happyimp posted:

He must have gotten silent hill 2 used, with an old save file on the cd, duh.

DVD.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The PC version is on 3 CDs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

:goonsay: You can only get the dog ending on new game plus!

Silent Hill: Homecoming has the UFO ending as one of the six possible endings without gating it behind anything, which a lot of fans complained about but kind of owns.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Silent Hill: Homecoming has the UFO ending as one of the six possible endings without gating it behind anything, which a lot of fans complained about but kind of owns.

lol

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
It was super easy to get too, like it probably was a good 30% of people's first ending

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
They should just keep pumping out silent hills with more endings each iteration. I want a silent hill game that's just a foggy room where it's only you and a monster you have to beat to death with a pipe and once you do, you die because you were the monster all along.

Each ending is just a picture of a turned over wheelchair while someone scratches an empty plate with a fork.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like the signature musical styles, with the constant trilling it's very distinctive, and I don't mean that as an insult, although it is like the guitar is constantly rubbing it's finger up and down it's lips while being played to make a "bibblebibblebibble" (can't find a vid of what I'm going for there, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm on about) noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cK8mOG4Q8

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fingerless Gloves posted:

It was super easy to get too, like it probably was a good 30% of people's first ending

It's also the best ending to get first, since it means you can start new games with an infinite-ammo laser gun or something that trivializes tough encounters.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like the signature musical styles, with the constant trilling it's very distinctive, and I don't mean that as an insult, although it is like the guitar is constantly rubbing it's finger up and down it's lips while being played to make a "bibblebibblebibble" (can't find a vid of what I'm going for there, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm on about) noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cK8mOG4Q8

Its a smaller string instrument called bouzuki or somthing similar. They lack lips or fingers tho

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Nov 24, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Creating your own Silent Hill soundtrack is easy, just get you one of whatever the gently caress this thing is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vic posted:

Its a smaller string instrument called bouzuki or somthing similar. They lack lips or fingers tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMmH5oi7q4 Just a dumb idea I had that I thought was funny based on the discussion. :3: I'm probably the only person in the world that will find it amusing but whatever.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I didn't realise how much of Theme of Laura from SH2 calls back to the SH1 theme, that poo poo is cool

I think SH2 is probably the best use of player action effecting the game in gaming still, going of subtle player behaviour instead of WHICH COLOUR BUTTON DO YOU PRESS. Alpha Protocol is close behind, but you're always making explicit choices rather than the game taking cues on how you act.

I mean I guess Undertale works too, but it's not as subtle

Shattered Memories doesn't count too

I'd love to see a modern day take on it which changes the game as well as the ending,band I wish that's what Silent Hills would have been

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I didn't realise how much of Theme of Laura from SH2 calls back to the SH1 theme, that poo poo is cool

I think SH2 is probably the best use of player action effecting the game in gaming still, going of subtle player behaviour instead of WHICH COLOUR BUTTON DO YOU PRESS. Alpha Protocol is close behind, but you're always making explicit choices rather than the game taking cues on how you act.

I'd love to see a modern day take on it which changes the game as well as the ending,band I wish that's what Silent Hills would have been

Get Even bases it's endings on how many times you screw up a level and end up in a firefight - if you fight too many people a character ends up stressing out and burning bridges during the bad (but still satisfying) ending - if you stealth well enough they respond in a more measured way that still gets everything they want. I've never stealthed well enough, although my latest run through I don't know because I haven't done the ending levels yet, but I did figure out a few of the ones that gave me trouble. Also you can replay the levels, so you can just go to any individual level you hosed up and un-gently caress it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Stalker does this fairly well - in ShoC if you piss off the wrong people or fail certain quests you have a much harder time playing the game and the real ending is gated behind you paying attention to what people tell you. In the bad ending, you also get monkey paw'd by how you played the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

In the newest Hitman the controls are the first thing displayed on the pause screen. There's gently caress loads of games where the control scheme is hidden under like pause>options>controller>preset etc

Totally agree. Long gone are the days where I can prop open the instruction manual on the couch beside me so easy access to the controls menu is good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Back to Pandora's Tower I'm currently at the end of the third tower, about to fight the boss of the Wellspring, and I'm enjoying how unique each tower has been, including how the shortcuts have been presented. The First Tower was straightforward, just unlocking a door that led to an elevator then running the rest of the way dodging enemies, then the second tower it involves much more involved platforming and the shortcuts are more substantial, dropping ladders that make the climb much faster and easier. Then the third tower I have to use it's gimmicks, riding a waterwheel, then riding up a circular waterfall on floating rocks. to get to the door - it leaves me wondering what the next towers will be, and how they'll work. It's pretty cool.

The only thing I don't like is how segmented the 13 towers are - they don't lead into each other at all, they are just straight up. The intro implied more lateral motion between them because of saying that the towers intersected and intertwined, and the hallways connecting them on the model of the dungeon don't exist in game to act as any shortcuts. One of the towers in the image is even a fairly tiny one, held up by walkways connected to the middles of other towers, kind of like Castle Oblivion from Kingdom Hearts, so it kind of sucks that they are reduced to levels.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

As someone else pointed out, that sounds like a bouzouki; but the technique itself is called tremolo picking. you can do it on pretty much any stringed instrument!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There's a fine line between subtle and inscrutable, and I feel like having to intentionally run around with low health and keep checking the status of the same unusable item in your inventory over and over all game long falls on the latter.

I feel like in the age of indie games being obsessed with metaness and loving with communities it's only a matter of time until somebody puts out a game where the ending is based on seeds generated from something unique to each system so people squabble endlessly about how to unlock them until they realize that everyone is completely different but design.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

There's a fine line between subtle and inscrutable, and I feel like having to intentionally run around with low health and keep checking the status of the same unusable item in your inventory over and over all game long falls on the latter.

Having low health in a survival horror game isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence, nor is the idea you would check the knife to see if it could be used for a puzzle, or to see if it's description changes like several other items do

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The Apprehension Engine is the goto instrument for horror soundtracks.

That or a 303 or whatever Carpenter used for everything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alpha Protocol is close behind, but you're always making explicit choices rather than the game taking cues on how you act.

I'm gonna dispute this. Spoilers for a seven year old game, because there's poo poo in there I only got after multiple playthroughs.

Marburg can tell if you're playing him if you pick choices to piss him off at your meeting, but are generally his type of spy in the rest of the game. If you're unprofessional the whole time, he hates you and will fight to the death.

How you treat Grigori effects the loadout of the marines at the Russian embassy. If you smash him with the vodka bottle, they're armed to the teeth. This not only makes them more effective when you're trying to extract surkov, but if you show up in combat armor they'll let you right in

Those are just the two that come to mind while I'm three years out from my last playthrough. That game tracks a fuckload of subtle poo poo.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMmH5oi7q4 Just a dumb idea I had that I thought was funny based on the discussion. :3: I'm probably the only person in the world that will find it amusing but whatever.

lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myeDeblTato&t=14s

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I remember hearing that it was super easy to unintentionally get the UFO ending in Homecoming the first time you played it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I remember hearing that it was super easy to unintentionally get the UFO ending in Homecoming the first time you played it.

Yeah, me too. It feels like I just heard that, even.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The third boss in Pandora's Tower was annoying until I figured out what was happening - I misread the energy coming down the chain as a visual representation of the chain charging, but it's actually an attack that the bosses are going to start doing, so I need to shake the chain to do damage before that reaches Aeron's hand. At least I know that now, and I've beaten that boss too. Took a while to realise that the Master Flesh chunk that's constantly moving actually isn't moving randomly - it's following a blue "track" on the bosses body, so noticing that helped judge when to hook it and when to wait. It was a boss that I thought was a bad boss, but now I know all my hits were me making dumb mistakes, I now know that it's a good boss, just not a particularly fun one.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember being interested in that game when I saw the previews, but I completely forgot about it after it came out and got mediocre reviews. Now I'm tempted to track down a copy, because you're making it sound really unique and worth playing.

Xenoblade Chronicles was the only Operation Rainfall game I bought, and I never even loving played it.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Nov 25, 2017

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Bioenchanted, Whenever you go on about details in games I've never played and never will, in this thread and the opposite one, I'm still drawn in and think about buying an obsolete console just to see what you're talking about. Never change.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to lie, I thought bioenchanted was actually some really elaborate gimmick, like the Friends adventure game that took over posts for a while. Imagine my surprise when I found out those games were real.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

I remember being interested in that game when I saw the previews, but I completely forgot about it after it came out and got mediocre reviews. Now I'm tempted to track down a copy, because you're making it sound really unique and worth playing.

Xenoblade Chronicles was the only Operation Rainfall game I bought, and I never even loving played it.

A few aspects that may help that decision, good and bad - :

The game operates on a fixed, tracking camera, which for a Wii game is a great idea because it means you always see exactly what you need to to navigate without having to wrestle with centering it with a button like Epic Mickey. Generally the best wii games have had unchanging cameras, either The Last Story style third-person over the shoulder, where you always see what is right in front of you, or the Pandora's Tower method of showing all the important parts of any particular "scene", like the waterwheel - the camera tracks from facing the wheel at an angle so that you can see the pegs to latch on to, then shifts to show you a handle that you can then latch onto to swing from, then again to give a better angle to the ledge that you now need to swing on. If not expecting them however, these transitions can be a little jarring, and it makes it easy for enemies to go offscreen, where you can't aim the chain shot at them (there is at least one enemy where the trick is chain shotting him to break the armour and do the damage as swords don't do anything, but if you accidentally get too close to him he can take an unnecessarily large chunk of health off you).

The healing items are annoyingly scarce, you can only buy one medicine (per day? either way at once) from the merchant, although if you have the right ingredients you can craft more, but at times it can feel very tight. Especially if you come across a difficult enemy that you don't know how to fight and that can hurt a lot, like the aforementioned armoured dude, you could end up having to grind the items needed to make the healing items before actually facing the boss. Although the nature of the enemies and puzzles means that you can run past all of them after the puzzles are solved and the boss door is opened - all you need to do then is run to the door. Also you can figure out most enemies and how to dodge them it's just tricky at first, so it's a very Soulsian "Get Good" kind of balance.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Nov 25, 2017

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm gonna dispute this. Spoilers for a seven year old game, because there's poo poo in there I only got after multiple playthroughs.

Marburg can tell if you're playing him if you pick choices to piss him off at your meeting, but are generally his type of spy in the rest of the game. If you're unprofessional the whole time, he hates you and will fight to the death.

How you treat Grigori effects the loadout of the marines at the Russian embassy. If you smash him with the vodka bottle, they're armed to the teeth. This not only makes them more effective when you're trying to extract surkov, but if you show up in combat armor they'll let you right in

Those are just the two that come to mind while I'm three years out from my last playthrough. That game tracks a fuckload of subtle poo poo.

There is also some levels which track differences between non-lethal, lethal & actually ghosting the level and others track whether or not you bug 3 computers like the objective tells you to or if you bug a few extra just because you can. The game tracking & reacting to all that stuff is both why it was so amazing and why we'll never get a sequel(spiritual or otherwise) since it was so labour intensive. Shame the lovely combat and somewhat annoying minigames keeps it stuck at cult classic rather than bestseller.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
The Obsidian Curse.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

BioEnchanted posted:

A few aspects that may help that decision, good and bad - :

The game operates on a fixed, tracking camera, which for a Wii game is a great idea because it means you always see exactly what you need to to navigate without having to wrestle with centering it with a button like Epic Mickey. Generally the best wii games have had unchanging cameras, either The Last Story style third-person over the shoulder, where you always see what is right in front of you, or the Pandora's Tower method of showing all the important parts of any particular "scene", like the waterwheel - the camera tracks from facing the wheel at an angle so that you can see the pegs to latch on to, then shifts to show you a handle that you can then latch onto to swing from, then again to give a better angle to the ledge that you now need to swing on. If not expecting them however, these transitions can be a little jarring, and it makes it easy for enemies to go offscreen, where you can't aim the chain shot at them (there is at least one enemy where the trick is chain shotting him to break the armour and do the damage as swords don't do anything, but if you accidentally get too close to him he can take an unnecessarily large chunk of health off you).

The healing items are annoyingly scarce, you can only buy one medicine (per day? either way at once) from the merchant, although if you have the right ingredients you can craft more, but at times it can feel very tight. Especially if you come across a difficult enemy that you don't know how to fight and that can hurt a lot, like the aforementioned armoured dude, you could end up having to grind the items needed to make the healing items before actually facing the boss. Although the nature of the enemies and puzzles means that you can run past all of them after the puzzles are solved and the boss door is opened - all you need to do then is run to the door. Also you can figure out most enemies and how to dodge them it's just tricky at first, so it's a very Soulsian "Get Good" kind of balance.

Absolutely everything about this makes it sound like my kind of game. Are the puzzles actually challenging/fun, or are they just kinda there?

Also you inadvertently reminded me of Lost in Shadow, another Wii game I was interested in and never ended up buying. I feel like that has to be in your backlog, if you haven't played it already.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Absolutely everything about this makes it sound like my kind of game. Are the puzzles actually challenging/fun, or are they just kinda there?

Also you inadvertently reminded me of Lost in Shadow, another Wii game I was interested in and never ended up buying. I feel like that has to be in your backlog, if you haven't played it already.

I'm still very early in, but most puzzles have been how to get to the top of a room, like figuring out how to get to the two switches that need to be pulled to operate the waterwheel so that you can ride it to the top of that room and continue the ascent. They may get more interesting later, but the first tower was basic "Here's how to navigate", the second tower was pretty much "Platforming 102", and the third tower is the first real puzzle. I have 9 more towers to go though, so the complexity may increase.

Also I've heard of Lost in Shadow but never played it, I'll keep an eye out.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Nov 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm still very early in, but most puzzles have been how to get to the top of a room, like figuring out how to get to the two switches that need to be pulled to operate the waterwheel so that you can ride it to the top of that room and continue the ascent. They may get more interesting later, but the first tower was basic "Here's how to navigate", the second tower was pretty much "Platforming 102", and the third tower is the first real puzzle. I have 9 more towers to go though, so the complexity may increase.

Also I've heard of Lost in Shadow but never played it, I'll keep an eye out.

I own Lost in Shadow (aka; A Shadow's Tale in PAL-land). It's pretty dull, and I've heard it gets pretty repetitive.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I really liked Shattered Memories (mainly because I really liked the concept and it was my first "Silent Hill" - I played 2 and 3 on the HD collection after) and I'd really like to see them use the whole "monsters change depending on what you did/say" in another Silent Hill game. And the ending still kind of gets to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Don Gato posted:

I'm not going to lie, I thought bioenchanted was actually some really elaborate gimmick, like the Friends adventure game that took over posts for a while. Imagine my surprise when I found out those games were real.

At this point, he could start making poo poo up and I would never check to see if the games were real. I would just believe there was a PS2 platfomer where you played as a snake that grew legs and used breakdancing (snakedancing?) moves to ward off an interdimensional demon invasion to steal all of our jelly beans.