Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The fridge painted in black Hammerite with a paint roller is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I might consider buying brick house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

I might consider buying brick house.

At the very least, it is mighty-mighty.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can't believe I'm the first person to post that y'all should move to Western Australia, where all the homes are brick because we're not very smart but at least we're Different™.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

~Coxy posted:

Can't believe I'm the first person to post that y'all should move to Western Australia, where all the homes are brick because we're not very smart but at least we're Different™.

Yeah, but you have only two seasons - fiery and less-fiery - and all kinds of fierce wildlife, including hoons, salties, cassowaries, dingoes, and bogans. Of course you need brick houses. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That floor is terrazzo. Was super popular in the fifties and sixties. If you can find a concrete guy that knows what he's doing, getting it polished and sealed up makes for a REALLY nice floor. Way nicer than tile, though you are locked into the visual choices that were made when it was poured. A lot of the houses down here that were built with terrazzo have had tile laid on top, but more and more are refinishing the original floors during renovations/flipping.

Anyone that puts tack-strip into terrazzo floors for carpets is a loving war criminal.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

At the very least, it is mighty-mighty.

Definitely a perfect place to be letting it all hang out.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I can't hate the house too bad, though I'm not really into the whole "this is the jail where Billy the Kid was imprisoned" look. Some of the design choices seem...manageable, but it sure feels awkward.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

It's burnt adobe brick which is what a lot of houses in Tucson are made of (if not plain adobe), but most builders have the sense to plaster/paint the interior walls so it doesn't look like a dungeon.

Nah it looks more like a sheriffs office in the old west.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

And what kind of drugs were they on when they tiled this bathroom?

I had to come back as I just noticed the sunken tub, the tile is like a colorblind test.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: I just noticed the sunken tub, the tile is like a colorblind test.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That adobe house owns bones, and really represents the best of Tucson architecture.
Some questionable choices inside, but man, put some plaster on the walls and get rid of that awful paint and bathroom and we're in business.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those walls are solid brick but only 2 bricks thick. You can see around the window how thin the walls are.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Those walls are solid brick but only 2 bricks thick. You can see around the window how thin the walls are.

How thick do you need them to be? It's in the desert.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jaded Burnout posted:

How thick do you need them to be? It's in the desert.

I thought desert dwellings often had really thick walls to help regulate the temperature? Keep the heat out during the day and the cold out during the night? Big thick adobe or mud brick walls and poo poo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MrYenko posted:

That floor is terrazzo. Was super popular in the fifties and sixties. If you can find a concrete guy that knows what he's doing, getting it polished and sealed up makes for a REALLY nice floor. Way nicer than tile, though you are locked into the visual choices that were made when it was poured. A lot of the houses down here that were built with terrazzo have had tile laid on top, but more and more are refinishing the original floors during renovations/flipping.

Anyone that puts tack-strip into terrazzo floors for carpets is a loving war criminal.

Terrazzo also lasts forever. It might crack, but that's it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm sure it will be fine. That stuff is tough and long lasting.

I dunno. This stuff has already cracked under a few pressure points where other stuff has hit it, or put pressure on it. And it's only a couple of years old.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

Like why are there bars on all the windows?
Why didn't they finish the walls?

Original owners were werewolves, obviously. Civilized werewolves, but you need to be able to lock up tight when your adolescent werewolf kids have a temper tantrum. Floors and walls need to be able to stand up to routine wear and tear from your claws.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

This thread's wisemen don't know how it feels.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

therobit posted:

I'll readily admit to living in a one-trick pony of a country with regard to climate. Block the gales and stop the rain and you're good to go.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

How would you even decorate this? It looks like a dry goods storage.

therobit posted:

I GET IT

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd recommend a brick or brick-related theme. Like maybe a brick shelf for your brick collection, and a brick table, and a brick couch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not in love with that particular terrazzo floor, but I'd consider a house very much like it if I was in the South West US.

For this one, I'd probably look at bamboo flooring and leave the bathroom floor. I like the layout of the bathroom, but god drat that tile.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah

Bad Munki posted:

I'd recommend a brick or brick-related theme. Like maybe a brick shelf for your brick collection, and a brick table, and a brick couch.

The Contemporary Danish Brick Shithouse Collection

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not in love with that particular terrazzo floor, but I'd consider a house very much like it if I was in the South West US.

For this one, I'd probably look at bamboo flooring and leave the bathroom floor. I like the layout of the bathroom, but god drat that tile.

Yeah, Dazzle Camo probably isnt the bet idea for a bathroom

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Cinder blocks.

Also You'd have to play this song at least a few times per day.

https://youtu.be/rrBx6mAWYPU?t=2

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is crime a huge problem in that desert? Those are some serious cages around the windows that I'd expect from an old timey wild west jailhouse or a warehouse in a high crime area. Looks super institutional or depressing on a house. There certainly property crime issues in my city but you almost never see bars on windows, specially on houses. Also quite often it's a huge fire code violation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Is crime a huge problem in that desert? Those are some serious cages around the windows that I'd expect from an old timey wild west jailhouse or a warehouse in a high crime area. Looks super institutional or depressing on a house. There certainly property crime issues in my city but you almost never see bars on windows, specially on houses. Also quite often it's a huge fire code violation.

I think it's going for an Old West Sheriff aesthetic, not crime prevention. Plus there's at least one window that's missing the vertical bars for half of it, so I imagine they're removable.

I'd be afraid of exit in case of the fire as well. I'd probably remove/chop-off the bars and install IR cameras if I was that worried about crime.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't know why, but minus those window bars, I absolutely love that house. I love it so much. I cannot explain why because I objectively dislike almost every part of it, but as a whole, it is wonderful and I would legitimately love living in it, I think.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bars are common on ground floor windows of toilets, showers, bathrooms and kitchens here, especially new houses. These smaller windows are likely to be open all day/night to air it out.

Older houses have floor-to-ceiling sliding windoors in every room. The locks are lovely and they're easier to rob.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/0IEcAia.mp4

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

Someone mistook the screensaver for the plans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If the door opened inwards, that'd be perfect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is it just an illusion or does that stretch crossing the door sag a bit?

Also, nice stress crack developing on the sheet rock there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is a puzzle in one of those escape rooms, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Manifold Destiny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is a puzzle in one of those escape rooms, right?

fermun posted:

this is a solar hot water system. the way it works is that there'd be a pump pumping propylene glycol through collectors on the roof to a heat exchanger inside the two tanks on the left, maybe that third one as well. that would heat up the water coming in off the street to between 120F/49C and 140F/60C then there'd either be a regular hot water heater to get it to whatever the target temp is.

the reason it's so messy is because plumbers rarely work with solar hot water, and instead it's solar installers who are doing it. the install crew was also probably told to get it installed super fast and not gently caress about going to a plumbing supply store or anything because solar installers always have really low margins. thats why they didn't have anyone bend pipe and just used straight pieces that they cut to about the right length with really standard fittings, all 90s and 45s and a few Ts it looks like to me, nothing less common. the copper pipe used for solar hot water has a much thicker wall and you need someone who is good at bending pipe to do it properly if you're going to bend because you have to put a lot of strength into it with a lot of control to prevent kinking it.

solar hot water is the worst and i hate it, i wish california would get rid of the incentive so that it would just die already.

Farmdizzle posted:

plumber chiming in...

you're not going to be bending anything bigger than 3/8" copper tubing for anything modern if you want it to code. that setup looks like 3/4". also every solar setup I've ever seen has used plain old "M" thickness rigid tubing just like any other code-compliant install. solar doesn't require anything thicker that I'm aware of. you can't use the thinner "L" stuff on *anything* other than relief valve lines no matter if it's solar or standard.

that being said HOOOOLY gently caress that's a lot of wasted money in pro-press fittings which also makes me think this had to be put in without a hot work (ie soldering) permit. also i'll bet they're gonna get some water hammering with all that hosed up unsupported routing. i'd love to see the inspector's face

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 25, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Russians just circulated the water up to the roof.

(My own idea for hideously complex heat exchangers is to run the water through a radiator for PV first, to cool those panels to a more efficient temperature, plus pre-warming the mains water, before going into the collector.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Proteus Jones posted:

Manifold Destiny

:worship: