Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

eonwe posted:

ty! so it sounds like for battle royale you don't really have to get anything you can just play

Yep, is free as hell, and I believe you don't even need a PSN sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Thanks for the hot tip about the combat pro control scheme. Playing on PS4 is much more bearable now. :tipshat:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tried it out, its actually a blast

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How dumb was I to pick a Legendary Lead Survivor over a Legendary weapon?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It was likely a good choice, assuming you aren't full of legendary lead survivors.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kylra posted:

It was likely a good choice, assuming you aren't full of legendary lead survivors.

0 except for that one. It's good to hear. I just had this horrible vision of getting a legendary laser pistol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How dumb was I to pick a Legendary Lead Survivor over a Legendary weapon?

Weapons can be less useful if they are not of a type you use. I have many legendaries I don't use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Apparently there's a site that gets some stats from a Fortnite API:
http://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/Rexxed

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Should i buy this game? I like the idea but also read a lot of negative stuff about the monetization with loot boxes and whatever. Also read that it's going free to play next year. I can live with paying the lowest price of entry now though instead of waiting 6+ months. Anything i should know?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That but also it's kind of grindy sometimes. I'm still having fun with it though.

I also still have a friend code thing if you want it $10 off. Just hit me up in PM.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm having a stupid amount of fun with it. Without the 28 days of loot crates and Fortnitemares it would be a horrible grind though.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
If you enjoy the core gameplay (which I do) there is very little incentive to pay money and get a bunch of llamas. New gear choices is nice, but ultimately its just inflating your stats so you can access levels where the enemies have similarly inflated stats. It is a tread mill and not a progression, with a few exceptions. Higher difficulty levels does introduce a little more complexity with elements and more mist monsters or objectives to defend, but that is hardly an incentive to spend towards. When you accept this stuff the grind is just a passive thing that happens in the background while you build forts listening to podcasts. The occasional carrots that are compelling are event related, and Fortnitemares was really good about having that stuff accessible as quest rewards, or rewarded frequently enough.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's a good post. The fun core of the game is mouse trapping different pieces of geography.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm having a stupid amount of fun with it. Without the 28 days of loot crates and Fortnitemares it would be a horrible grind though.

I guess i just missed it huh, guess there's always next year : P

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's pretty much always an event running that has rewards tied to it so you can still get stuff. The next patch will most likely start December's event.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

They've been pretty good about keeping events running and responding to feedback for the pve part. I mostly just log in to do some daily quests for free vbucks and make use of daily bonus exp while I wait for the winter event since I finished all the Fortnitemares stuff a while ago.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v-1-9-1-patch-notes?lang=en-US

TL;DR:

BR:

Smoke Grenades, global leaderboards

PvE:

Mutant Storms are back, including the tickets. New weapons:

New quests as well, I'm guessing this will stay for 3 weeks, then we get the christmas patch? Don't think they can wait too much longer than December ~15th, otherwise they'd have to hotfix a ton of poo poo during the holidays.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Looks awesome!.

So we get mid-events before big events, and these mid-events have new weapons? this is fantastic.

I love this game devs, they can do everything (Except finish the game).

---

random youtube save the world video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhumVVaO3w

Tei fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 28, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't suppose there's a Discord for Battle Royale parties?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well the new Mutant Storm event has a lot more natural goals that flow with the gameplay. Much better than the Fortnitemares ones.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Stuck on story progression because Build the Radar Grid quests are impossible for me and nobody does those for fun :smith: Even knowing how to do them, the controls seem broken on PS4. I haven't actually built one completely myself.

Edit: Finally got it, had to build 2 myself while just about everyone else ran around for 16 minutes not building towers.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 30, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Stuck on story progression because Build the Radar Grid quests are impossible for me and nobody does those for fun :smith: Even knowing how to do them, the controls seem broken on PS4. I haven't actually built one completely myself.

Edit: Finally got it, had to build 2 myself while just about everyone else ran around for 16 minutes not building towers.

The event kinds of push people to roam around the map searching for chests. You should do other type of missions.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I don't know if the PS4 controls are that bad, but I can usually do all 5 towers solo on PC. 4 at least.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They're random for me. If you get that giant loving wood tower it takes forever.

I'm assuming the controller makes it nightmarish to rearrange parts though, there is a lot of fine tuned aiming for reshaping parts.

Get a mouse and keyboard for your PS4

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

The Vindertech Disintegrator (shotgun) seems very bad. It's a very small AoE, you hit 2-3 Husks in most cases and I guess sometimes 5, but mostly just 1-2. Meanwhile it only has a base magazine size of 15. Which, I poo poo you not, reloads like a shotgun, cell by cell. Meanwhile every shot you take takes 3 ammo, so you have to reload 3 cells for every loving shot.

Crafted a Copper one to test it and instantly recycled it. I suggest taking the AR from the quest reward.

The AR seems a very decent Deathray alternative now that I look at it, it's semi-automatic which I hate, but at least it's burst fire and it stays fairly accurate even when spamming. Deals like 33% more damage per shot compared with the Deathray, has a slightly faster reload time (2.1 vs 2.3 of the Deathray). Much smaller magazine size though, 18 vs 40.

I'd argue the only downside of Deathrays are its bacon use, so dealing a 33% higher base damage per shot might be worth it.

Edit: And it has nearly 3 times the impact per shot.
Edit2: Or is everything (including damage) calculated on an entire burst of fire? Nah that can't be right, that'd make burst-fire trash all the time.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 1, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Summit, Ceez, MrGrimmmz and Ninja are squading up in BR. poo poo is like Fornite Avengers lmao. This is amazing. Only ninja isn't streaming.

https://www.twitch.tv/summit1g
https://www.twitch.tv/cdnthe3rd
https://www.twitch.tv/grimmmz

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

teagone posted:

Summit, Ceez, MrGrimmmz and Ninja are squading up in BR. poo poo is like Fornite Avengers lmao. This is amazing. Only ninja isn't streaming.

https://www.twitch.tv/summit1g
https://www.twitch.tv/cdnthe3rd
https://www.twitch.tv/grimmmz

finished :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tei posted:

finished :(

They ended up getting owned a lot and Ninja quit a few games in, haha. Guess they're better off doing duos or solo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The game client has had a lot more hesitation and lag the last day or so. Looking at the All Heroes page locks it up for a couple of seconds. When someone connects to a game I'm in there's a lot of stuttering. About four times tonight when I've tried to join a map it gets stuck entering the lobby for several minutes before I give up and hit back or close the client. This one seems to be more server side. I'm not sure what's going on but I hope it means the game's getting popular and not that they did a bad job coding. The Vindertech stuff is kind of neat but some of the weapons are more interesting than useful (like the aforementioned plasma gun thing that does a tiny AOE when it hits). Having more options for energy cell weapons is cool, though. I always use a bolt action sniper, but cycle my other guns around since I tend to max out on the ammo on the ones I'm not using.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

The game client has had a lot more hesitation and lag the last day or so. Looking at the All Heroes page locks it up for a couple of seconds. When someone connects to a game I'm in there's a lot of stuttering. About four times tonight when I've tried to join a map it gets stuck entering the lobby for several minutes before I give up and hit back or close the client. This one seems to be more server side. I'm not sure what's going on but I hope it means the game's getting popular and not that they did a bad job coding. The Vindertech stuff is kind of neat but some of the weapons are more interesting than useful (like the aforementioned plasma gun thing that does a tiny AOE when it hits). Having more options for energy cell weapons is cool, though. I always use a bolt action sniper, but cycle my other guns around since I tend to max out on the ammo on the ones I'm not using.

Yeah they've admitted that it's something on their side (most likely coding).

As for Energy Cell weapons: imo bacon should be removed from the ammo cost, increase the batteries cost if necessary. As long as bacon is required I'll never come even close to being able to permanently use Deathrays. I used to use it only on water Husks and I'd still barely increase my Bacon stockpile, even though I used it for less than 10% of my kills on average. Now I'm not really bacon hunting, but it's not like I skip a toilet either if I'm close.

Edit: The patch did fix my random small 0.1 sec stutters that I got every 5 minutes though. It changed into 0.3 sec stutters every minute on the day after the patch, but it's entirely flawless again now. Except for the things you mentioned, but at least there's no lag anymore (for me anyway) once you're settled with a full party in a game.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 2, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Maybe is a serverside problem?

Fortnite PvE client is strongly tied with the server. So much that every menu need an answer from the server to even open up. Probably Fortnite is growing faster than their ability to allocate more servers. Or theres a piece of the system that don't really scale up that much.

I don't have any lag (Europe area).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

has anyone found a smoke grenade yet?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AceClown posted:

No, but I've seen them used on stream. Comes in a stack of 5, but they don't last too long. I think it was either Summit or Ninja who used it to cover CDNthe3rd when he was downed which was pretty cool. Also saw I think Grimmmz use it to cover a retreat.

As an aside, there was a blog post that detailed a lot about the future of BR that lists a lot of really hype af stuff. Pro click: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/state-of-development-v3

My favorite bit, aside from custom games, is they confirmed you can eventually earn cosmetics and other loot by just playing BR. No PvE for meee!!!!! Can't wait.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Ugh, why do I fall for it in every game eventually. :negative:

I always stay strong when it comes to burst weapons, but I fell for it with the Vindertech one, and jesus christ why isn't just every AR fully automatic. It's fine to use in some shooters (like PUBG/BR), but not when you have to click twice per second while staying perfectly on the head, 7 minutes straight in a defense. gently caress that. It would've been okay if it did like 25-30% more damage than a fully automatic one, but the DPS is poo poo as well, since there's a 0.2 sec pause between bursts for some reason.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

quote:

Quick update. We identified the root cause last night and have a build in testing that actually fixes the issue. Our goal is to release patch as soon as we have verified it doesn’t make things worse.
Re: lag

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/7gwgu6/2_days_already_stutterlag_still_not_fixed/dqnnpzg/?context=1

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

AceClown posted:

yep,even used it in a epic fashion to cross a wood bridge under fire. They don't last very long.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

The Vindertech Disintegrator (shotgun) seems very bad. It's a very small AoE, you hit 2-3 Husks in most cases and I guess sometimes 5, but mostly just 1-2. Meanwhile it only has a base magazine size of 15. Which, I poo poo you not, reloads like a shotgun, cell by cell. Meanwhile every shot you take takes 3 ammo, so you have to reload 3 cells for every loving shot.

Crafted a Copper one to test it and instantly recycled it. I suggest taking the AR from the quest reward.

The AR seems a very decent Deathray alternative now that I look at it, it's semi-automatic which I hate, but at least it's burst fire and it stays fairly accurate even when spamming. Deals like 33% more damage per shot compared with the Deathray, has a slightly faster reload time (2.1 vs 2.3 of the Deathray). Much smaller magazine size though, 18 vs 40.

I'd argue the only downside of Deathrays are its bacon use, so dealing a 33% higher base damage per shot might be worth it.

Edit: And it has nearly 3 times the impact per shot.
Edit2: Or is everything (including damage) calculated on an entire burst of fire? Nah that can't be right, that'd make burst-fire trash all the time.

I have a Vtech Plasma Gun which is another shotgun with AoE? How many things are there? How is the Plasma Rifle?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have a Vtech Plasma Gun which is another shotgun with AoE? How many things are there? How is the Plasma Rifle?

Different rarities have different names. And the legendary ones usually have special names. You have a purple shotty, I have a legendary one.

As for the AR, after giving it another chance: it's very strong against Husky Husks, so in the end it still replaced my Deathray luckily. Luckily because I dropped enough poo poo into it to get it to level 40. :v:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

Different rarities have different names. And the legendary ones usually have special names. You have a purple shotty, I have a legendary one.

As for the AR, after giving it another chance: it's very strong against Husky Husks, so in the end it still replaced my Deathray luckily. Luckily because I dropped enough poo poo into it to get it to level 40. :v:

I must be hungover to forget that. So grab an AR and burst pistol if I can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am convinced all vindertech weapons are gimmicks, but I don't have a problem with that.

• Locked thread