Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

So if a psychiatrist says I a soldier I know have ADHD, is that a medical discharge or???

poo poo, I had Adderall prescribed to me for a majority of my career. There's waivers for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No but like what if that person wanted to get out

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It’s the year anniversary of my friend committing suicide, get help dudes.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So is sadbrains chat GiP games or goons in platoons

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Melthir posted:

So is sadbrains chat GiP games or goons in platoons

Goons in Platoons

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I love it when you get a new commander who says during their change of command "I saw your training cycle and I think it's too much, I'm going to help you" and then it actually gets worse. I guess I'm going to be spending 7 of my last 12 months in the army in the field!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I’m potentially spending almost the entire first half of next year in the field depending on how things get tasked out.

We are in the best BDE. To be fair to your commander I don’t think there’s anything he could have done about it. We’re in the same boat across the field.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The cycle is never kind. I did 13 months in Iraq, followed by 12 months and 5 days at home before going to Afghanistan for 12. During that "home" time I was TDY or in the field away from home for 7 months. The force is going to take whatever it can get out of you; you need to figure out what it is your home life requires for happiness, and to be honest about when you're sacrificing that for the job. Counseling helps a lot if you're willing to be honest.

After my 3rd deployment I was doing the usual reverse-SRP stuff so I could go on leave. "Yes I'm good, yes everything's fine" etc. They gave me an exit interview with an aggressive and hilarious counselor who, after four or five standard questions, asked whether I ever thought I had mono once for an entire year. The Wayne's World reference worked on me, we talked openly for a while about my experiences with shooting. It was a small but valuable catharsis. Don't wait to get lucky with an interesting counselor if there are things on your mind, just find one and address your feelings honestly. It helps.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Today is one year ago that my friend overdosed on pain medication

Be careful what you take guys. That poo poo is dangerous

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
get help goons, we do truly care about you even if we have never talked.

Tryzzub fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 25, 2017

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I wanted to kill myself for years, now I have kids and I have to do the right poo poo by them.

Kids kinda fix your broke brain. Cant kill myself until they leave home now.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Well, the tree is up and the house smells like pine.

Nothing like subtle reminders of the worst period of your life. Thanks, Christmas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Spacman posted:

I wanted to kill myself for years, now I have kids and I have to do the right poo poo by them.

Kids kinda fix your broke brain. Cant kill myself until they leave home now.

This literally stopped me. The look on my sons face when I was about to leave to do it.

It’s a game changer.

Remember, you don’t get rid of your pain, you just give it to someone else.

McNally posted:

Well, the tree is up and the house smells like pine.

Nothing like subtle reminders of the worst period of your life. Thanks, Christmas.

Have you tried switching things up? Instead of traditions you did as a team, are there things you can recreate and do for yourself?

I’m glad you’re doing better and I hope Christmas doesn’t lose it’s magic for you because of this. It took me 30 years to like Christmas and look forward to it.

Even without family, it can be a good time. You just need to know where to look.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Have you tried switching things up? Instead of traditions you did as a team, are there things you can recreate and do for yourself?

I’m glad you’re doing better and I hope Christmas doesn’t lose it’s magic for you because of this. It took me 30 years to like Christmas and look forward to it.

Even without family, it can be a good time. You just need to know where to look.

I live with my parents and would prefer not have to tell dad "let's not have a tree this year because it bums me out."

It's not as bad as it was last year, but Christmas is still not what it used to be.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

christmas is a month of guilt where the best you’ll make out is maybe socks

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

christmas is a month of guilt where the best you’ll make out is maybe socks

Oh, thanks, I was struggling with what to get my GIP Secret Santa recipient.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Oh, thanks, I was struggling with what to get my GIP Secret Santa recipient.

https://www.amazon.com/OOTB-ootb-willy-warmer-snake/dp/B01BF75M4U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511655264&sr=8-5

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh good, it runs small.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

text your buddies today and make plans to meet up

i just group texted my crew today insisting we meet up for the holidays and ive been feeling good ever since

so stop making excuses. do it. make it a goal for the holiday season. get krunk on beer/weed/sobriety safely and share the stories and enjoy it.

you’ll feel better. i swear.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's been two years.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

It's been two years.

Time may not heal all wounds, but what they do offer, is how to treat it. Two years of suffering is a lot for anyone to endure, and I hope that during that time, you have let happiness shine as a compass; guiding you out of the darkness. That darkness will never go away, it’s like ink. It stays and does not go away. It will fade however, and do not forget the beauty that can be made with ink. With darkness. Masterpieces created with a canvas (you) and ink (your pain). You can choose to create something new, or let it become a stain on an otherwise great piece of work.

Just don’t let it consume you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

It's been two years.

Sorry man. :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

It's been two years.
:glomp:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
I need an invite to slack. evil(dot)pie@gmail

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 16, 2018

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Null Integer posted:

I need an invite to slack. evil(dot)pie@gmail

Check your PM.

Also we really dont use slack anymore and are all about Discord.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
We should probably start a new thread.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Someone make the new thread and ill sticky it. Just PM me when your done posting it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just cut & replace the Hangouts Slack DISCORD setup & connection details in the OP like the past two Get Help Threads.
Please keep the IDR doxxing link if the new Get Help thread happens.

e: New OP for Discord idea.

HIT THIS LINK ----->

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 22, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Edit lol

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 5, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hey, those of you with anxiety, what do you do when you're having an anxiety attack? Stress from school and some PTSD stuff has been throwing me for a loop this past week and although I have an intake appointment with the VA specifically for this it isn't until April 25th. I'm doing some couple's behavior therapy to help with some stuff, and while good it isn't tailored to me specifically, but myself and my girlfriend. I've taken to finding some quiet space and listening to relaxing music, but that's a short term fix. Just curious if anyone has some suggestions.

I'm trying to be proactive and eat healthier, with more fruits and vegetables and fewer processed meats and excess sugars. I do yoga and I try to get 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise a few times a week. I'm also trying to get to know my classmates a bit better and develop some real life friendships, but I'm pretty sure that I've got some social anxiety so that's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Also, my dogs and my girlfriend are incredibly supportive of me, which is really loving nice.

I'm currently not on any medication, but I do smoke weed. I'm cutting back a bit right now though. I've found that when I'm really exhausted if I get too high I start to succumb to the anxiety and that is an awful feeling. Anyway, I think that's enough rambling for now. Thanks, praise to Allah, and may the Force be with you.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Sometimes weed can make me anxious if I really, really blaze up, maybe it's not a bad idea to cut back a little bit?

I've found, in the moment, that concentrating on my breathing really helps. Have you tried mindfulness? I attended a program to learn DBT(a form of therapy) at the VA and it has been quite helpful for me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Thalantos posted:

Sometimes weed can make me anxious if I really, really blaze up, maybe it's not a bad idea to cut back a little bit?

I've found, in the moment, that concentrating on my breathing really helps. Have you tried mindfulness? I attended a program to learn DBT(a form of therapy) at the VA and it has been quite helpful for me.

Yeah, the first thing I do when I feel the panic coming on is start to focus on my breathing with a four count inhale, four count hold, four count exhale, and another four count hold. It's dumb, but I think of it as trying to control my breathing like I would while conducting a stress shoot. Then I add in some mindfulness exercises. But sometimes the anxiety just kicks my rear end and that isn't enough.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, the first thing I do when I feel the panic coming on is start to focus on my breathing with a four count inhale, four count hold, four count exhale, and another four count hold. It's dumb, but I think of it as trying to control my breathing like I would while conducting a stress shoot. Then I add in some mindfulness exercises. But sometimes the anxiety just kicks my rear end and that isn't enough.

i do something similar. like if i'm in the library, i'll count the table legs that i can see, or silently say to myself the color of the books on the shelves, or put on headphones to a song i know every word to and mouth the words along with it.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Yeah, it's about finding something that works for you! My most helpful meditation is going to the kitchen and hand washing dirty dishes. :)

I've also sometimes found sticking my head in the freezer helps me "cool down", both literally and figuratively.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

THC doesn’t help anxiety. CBD does. You’re already doing a form of meditation. I keep a 50/50 pen with me at school to help with the anxiety.

Other than that, another thing I do is force myself to deal with it. Like being late for class sends me into a tailspin. I’ll force myself to be late just to realize that it’s ok, my professors won’t dock my grade, and that being late happens.

Most of my anxiety comes from trying to control situations. Learning how to let go helped a ton.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

THC doesn’t help anxiety. CBD does. You’re already doing a form of meditation. I keep a 50/50 pen with me at school to help with the anxiety.

Other than that, another thing I do is force myself to deal with it. Like being late for class sends me into a tailspin. I’ll force myself to be late just to realize that it’s ok, my professors won’t dock my grade, and that being late happens.

Most of my anxiety comes from trying to control situations. Learning how to let go helped a ton.

Yeahhhhhh this is pretty key for me. We did this thing in one of my classes about how we handle stress, and I said "Stress usually has to do with my lack of control over a situation so I go home and hang out with my dog because he sits when I tell him to." My biggest personal goal for the last five or so years has been to learn that I can't control everything around me, even if I still try to from time to time.

It's why I'm so argumentative on this forum. I overcompensate because I try to make an effort to not let myself act like that in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Whenever I'm past that creeping feeling of anxiety and I actually become brutally aware that it's causing an immediate physical effect on me, I try to detach myself from larger groups of people / foot traffic around, start a couple of really deep but fast breaths to change my breathing altogether, and then I focus in extreme detail on retracing my steps until that point. I legit try to remember as vividly as possible every single step I took, as if I'm in a legal deposition.

The first couple of steps are pretty easy, but once you get past walking in the door of the grocery store you're at or whatever, you get into increasingly shadier territory the further you get back where you start burst-second-guessing every other step. It's ended up being a really simple way to trick my mind into forgetting what the gently caress it was obsessing about previously. A therapist I saw almost a decade ago introduced me to coping mechanisms similar to that, but they all seemed like non-subtle clinical prescriptions for action, and I never really "bought" them when trying them. Like, if someone tells you to just solve basic math problems in your head to distract your mind, my mind would go "lol who the gently caress are you kidding, this isn't anything you routinely do ever, go think of dying some more shitlord", and simply remembering your steps in detail is simple enough for my dumb brain.

Last time it had to work for me was in 2014 :unsmith:

Then again, I always get a bit of a case of impostor syndrome when talking about dealing with stress in here, because I strongly doubt my poo poo compares to even some of the average poo poo some of y'all have had to deal with. But hey, throwing poo poo at the wall, it stuck for me.