Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirty posted:

Are you sure? It doesn't look anything like a rotating section, and I don't think it rotates on-screen.

I like that the missiles seem to have flat noses. No need for a nosecone in space, I guess.

Part of building the Warlock class was getting gravity plate technology from the Minbari, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Supposedly there's still some Shadow influence in there too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Q_res posted:

Supposedly there's still some Shadow influence in there too.

I thought the Warlock class were the hybrid Shadow/EF ships from the civil war.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

I thought the Warlock class were the hybrid Shadow/EF ships from the civil war.

That was the "Advanced Omega Class", the Warlock was post-ISA.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've recently begun rewatching the series again. Been over 15 years since I saw this show, and just gotten to "the point of no return".

Lady morella says Londo has 3 chances at redemption, but I never figured out if his fate happened because he made the right 3 choices, or the wrong ones. His own fate sucked, but he arguably saved a lot of people,
and his own tragic fate led to the rebuilding of Centauri

As an aside, Delenns little speech that episode was probably one of the finest moments in this or any other series.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 26, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Londo screwed up his first two chances (don't kill Morden, didn't save G'kar's eye) but passed the third (give up his freedom). He had to complete any one of them to avoid the fire or whatever. There's contention about the Morden one where people claim it is Sheridan but the third one is predicated on failing the other two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McCloud posted:

I've recently begun rewatching the series again. Been over 15 years since I saw this show, and just gotten to "the point of no return".

Lady morella says Londo has 3 chances at redemption, but I never figured out if his fate happened because he made the right 3 choices, or the wrong ones. His own fate sucked, but he arguably saved a lot of people,
and his own tragic fate led to the rebuilding of Centauri

As an aside, Delenns little speech that episode was probably one of the finest moments in this or any other series.

Londo had to take one of five chances to avoid the fire, and he took the last. Morella mentions that two have already been missed; those are when he made a bargain with Morden and when he requested the aid of the Shadows to destroy the Narn at Gorash 7 in The Long Twilight Struggle. The others are deliberately more ambiguous, and how you interpret them depends on what you think it is that Londo is trying to avoid - his death at the hands of G'Kar, or the downfall of the Centauri Republic.

It's the third that makes this unambiguous: "At the last, you must give yourself to your worst fear, knowing it will destroy you." Londo's fear is of his vision, not of dying. He doesn't want to live in a future where the Republic is burnt and fallen, but ultimately the only way to save it is to let G'Kar kill him so that Sheridan could escape and allow Vir to rebuild. Knowing that puts the others into perspective.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Londo screwed up his first two chances (don't kill Morden, didn't save G'kar's eye) but passed the third (give up his freedom). He had to complete any one of them to avoid the fire or whatever. There's contention about the Morden one where people claim it is Sheridan but the third one is predicated on failing the other two.

There's also contention about the eye; it could refer to the Eye worn by the Centauri Emperor.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jedit posted:

There's also contention about the eye; it could refer to the Eye worn by the Centauri Emperor.

The chances are implied to be arranged in chronological order though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

The chances are implied to be arranged in chronological order though.

They are. The Eye is symbolic of either the Emperor or the Republic. The third chance is in Interludes and Examinations: Londo has forced Refa to suspend hostile actions and removed Shadow access to the Centauri Republic. Morden retaliates by murdering Adira Tyree and blaming it on Refa. After this Londo resumes cooperation with the Shadows and takes the Centauri back to war. That's his lost chance - when he chooses vengeance over the Republic.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
http://deadline.com/2017/11/rance-howard-ron-howard-clint-howard-obituary-apollo-13-a-beautiful-mind-1202214569/

Rance Howard, who played John Sheridan's Dad has died. Because, it'd just been too long since a B5 cast member had died.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Q_res posted:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/rance-howard-ron-howard-clint-howard-obituary-apollo-13-a-beautiful-mind-1202214569/

Rance Howard, who played John Sheridan's Dad has died. Because, it'd just been too long since a B5 cast member had died.

A reminder that the airdate for Sleeping in the Light, the last episode of the show, was November 25, 1998 :ohdear:.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll never forget that dream sequence where Kosh is saying his goodbyes through Sheridan's memory of his father. :(

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

V-Men posted:

I loved the set design for Space Above and Beyond. Honestly, its first season was just as strong as B5's.

Agreed. I loved that show too. A casualty of the Fox vendetta against non X-Files SciFi...Morgan and Wong just couldn't have their own thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bieeardo posted:

I'll never forget that dream sequence where Kosh is saying his goodbyes through Sheridan's memory of his father. :(

Yeah, when B5 was at its best it was as good or better than anything else.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

I bought the whole series last year and watched it for the first time since the 90s and I often thought, 'this is more Trek than most Trek.'

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Bieeardo posted:

Wasn't there some story about Boxlieter watching the episode years later and going "Oh my father was Kosh and it was a dream?!?" Like he just had no context when he did the scene (which in Hollywood is common I hear).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burning_Monk posted:

Wasn't there some story about Boxlieter watching the episode years later and going "Oh my father was Kosh and it was a dream?!?" Like he just had no context when he did the scene (which in Hollywood is common I hear).

It's on the commentaries

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am now done with all 5 seasons of babylon 5.

I felt sorry for the fate of Londo. For all the evil that he did in his ambitious pursuit of nostalgic glory of bygone days, in the end, all he did was out of love for his people. His last years in life where spent isolated and hated by anyone he would call friend, and all his final scenes where pretty much begging his friends to remember him for who he was, not who he will become. I really would have wished a happier ending for him.

Regarding "Sleeping in the light". Last time I saw that episode was 15 years ago, and it left me crying my eyes out. This time was no different, and I really think that is because of Mira Furlan and Bruce Boxleitner. Anyone who can watch this episode without shedding a tear is a monster.

The way Delenn reaches out and touches Sheridan when they're in bed, the way they look at each other, just all the small details that make you really feel they are a loving couple.

And the scene where they say goodbye to each other just left me weeping like a child.

This episode is the very definition of bittersweet. I hope Delenn and Sheridan found each other again, in the end.

A toast. To absent friends, in memory still bright.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally moved out to my own place (again), and I invited my cousin over to hang out and help me put my new bed together. While waiting for him, I decided to continue on where I left off on my latest re-watch from earlier this year (season 5, episode 2).

I started putting the bed together myself because of how boring the beginning of the season is. By the time he showed up, there wasn't much left to do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I finally moved out to my own place (again), and I invited my cousin over to hang out and help me put my new bed together. While waiting for him, I decided to continue on where I left off on my latest re-watch from earlier this year (season 5, episode 2).

I started putting the bed together myself because of how boring the beginning of the season is. By the time he showed up, there wasn't much left to do.

awesome story

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

awesome story

And that cousin... Albert Einstein!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

did you drink zima whilst doing so?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

did you drink zima whilst doing so?

...Can you still find it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

...Can you still find it?

It had a limited release this July and did well enough it may come back for a while. It's never left production in Japan.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Midjack posted:

It had a limited release this July and did well enough it may come back for a while. It's never left production in Japan.

Another thing I'll have to add to my "things to do/eat/drink in Japan" list.

Seriously, I'd forgotten how meandering and pointless the first half of season 5 is. Now the Byron arc is over and the Raiders arc is reaching a head and Garibaldi's alcoholism is flaring back up.

Between this and playing Mass Effect 3 finally, it's really making me wish something like this was on TV again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

Between this and playing Mass Effect 3 finally, it's really making me wish something like this was on TV again.

Uhhh... check again buddy. You've got The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery, The Expanse, Killjoys, Defiance*, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 5). Lots of great stuff over the last few years.

*not in space, but possibly the closest Babylon 5 of all the above.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh... check again buddy. You've got The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery, The Expanse, Killjoys, Defiance*, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 5). Lots of great stuff over the last few years.

Life's gotten in the way so I haven't had a chance to keep track of what's on these days. Thanks for compiling it for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Defiance is an awful slog that goes out of its way to make everyone's lives as lovely as possible. You simply can't make a likeable cast from everyone backstabbing eachother at the drop of a hat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Don't worry, his trolling became obvious when he recommended Agents of poo poo.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Defiance is an awful slog that goes out of its way to make everyone's lives as lovely as possible. You simply can't make a likeable cast from everyone backstabbing eachother at the drop of a hat.

Not only that, the backdrop world was a little too fantasy, the setting for the series was limited, and they tried to run Farscape 2.0 without it being Farscape 2.0. Seems like they have time to correct that issue.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

R-Type posted:

Not only that, the backdrop world was a little too fantasy, the setting for the series was limited, and they tried to run Farscape 2.0 without it being Farscape 2.0. Seems like they have time to correct that issue.

The first couple seasons were half-decent. But it went the way of Earth: Final Conflict. I skipped the last season but when I caught an episode it looked like a Walking Dead/Buffy knock off.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of the UK freebie cable channels is showing B5 from the start, I can't catch it every night but it's good to drop into every now and then. Sad thing is my wife doesn't want to watch it with me though :sever:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

R-Type posted:

Farscape wasn't without some backstabbing among the crew in the first season but they clearly had limits to what they were willing to do to get starcharts to their respective homeworlds, and everyone else would've ended up no worse than they already were.

Well except for Rygel trying to sell them all out to Scorpius at the end, and even that's portrayed as being way too far. And a sobering moment for Rygel when he realizes it would've gotten him killed regardless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Remember getting this and never playing the game. Always looked amazing though. I just ended up reading the manual a few times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Remember getting this and never playing the game. Always looked amazing though. I just ended up reading the manual a few times.

I have all the rules for that and Fleet Action. It plays like Star Fleet Battles, and in B5W more than about 4 ships on either side is severely unfun to manage. Fleet Action is better.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

I have all the rules for that and Fleet Action. It plays like Star Fleet Battles, and in B5W more than about 4 ships on either side is severely unfun to manage. Fleet Action is better.

I've played a few games. The main problems are that absent the story, it does almost take SFB-amounts of time to play, though at least the rules aren't as complex. The one time back in college that I introduced it to my regular gaming group, one player suffered an unlucky engine hit through an untouched ship side and was left to drift off the map, while another didn't understand the thruster limitations and went too fast, "falling" off the map. There were no further games played.

I do have a persistent fantasy about putting together a thread here in the Let's Play section built around a mirror-universe style B5, which wouldn't exactly make our heroes the villains but would make Jah'dur and Bester main characters and start Londo as a decorated military leader and head of the prominant House Mollari. Then run B5W scenarios built around a developing story the thread votes on.

Problem is that it's a hell of a time investment, I don't know if enough people like the setting to make the investment worthwhile, and I don't know if the game plays easily enough to have a pool of players big enough to sustain an ongoing campaign.

I got into the game right before the designers/company that sold it lost the rights and sold off their supplies at steep discounts, so I have a carrying case of minis and all the rules as a result of that. For a while there was an active, if tiny, online fan presence that put out a newsletter and converted ships from Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Star Control 2, and entities from the Cthulhu mythos into the rules-set.

Short version: B5W is to Star Fleet Battles as B5 is to Star Trek.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
B5W could be pretty slow if you played the game with the rules as written, but with a few house rules to speed things up we were able to get most tournament sized battles done in about 2.5 hours. Still pretty slow when compared to modern board games, though. It can be a fun game, but it really is best when you're recreating small fleet actions from the show (G'Quan vs. Primus) or doing some sort of a scenario where each side has objectives beyond simply blowing the other guy up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The more streamlined Call to Arms game is much faster playing, you can actually get through a fleet action. There's an SFB version of that too.

I was in on the playtest for Fleet Action, and boy was that a hot mess. I do seriously love the Fleet scale miniatures, the B5W one were just too drat big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The more streamlined Call to Arms game is much faster playing, you can actually get through a fleet action. There's an SFB version of that too.

I was in on the playtest for Fleet Action, and boy was that a hot mess. I do seriously love the Fleet scale miniatures, the B5W one were just too drat big.

Forgot about ACtA. Yes, that's the superior B5 spaceship battle game. I liked the detail on the B5W minis but they were just too frikkin big to play with.