Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Honestly Glitch sounds like a bad version of Les Revenants/The Returned, not really anything like The Leftovers.

It is another version of those shows, though the American Returned is the worst of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lycus posted:

It is another version of those shows, though the American Returned is the worst of the bunch.

Honestly, I kind of preferred the American version to the French version. Maybe it's because I found it impossible to tell two or three of the French actors apart.

Edit: And I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead was better than her French counterpart

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

How many times is that loving show gonna be remade

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That reads more literal than I meant it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like seriously who was like "man we need three different versions of the same scripted tv show"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

lmao jesus christ that's bizarre/dumb. Les Revenants isn't even that old.

talking of which, i never watched season 2 of it. which is weird because season 1 was loving amazing.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
New Black Mirror trailer just went up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yef_HfQoBd8

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Medullah posted:

Fun Future Man game, take a shot every time you hear JORGE SANTIAGO

Belly... SWOLLEN with CHILD!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Well that doesn't look any less hosed up than expected

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Future Man. It isn't really exactly my thing so I knew I'd never be one of the "perfect" reviewers but it was a fun and easy watch that didn't really overstay too long with any one gag or idea like "video games" and instead really jumped around and had a lot of fun with a lot of different ideas.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Future Man is funny and good. The only thing that bothered me throughout was the yelling out the names of the moves. That’s not a thing in ANY video game dammit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HADOKEN!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TY-GER UPPERCUT!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
PK THUNDER

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

oval office PUNT

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Future Man was not really about video games as much as pop culture in general.

Edit: that makes it sound worse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Sounds like some Ready Player One poo poo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Not to sound all :lost: here but really it was about the characters, and their development throughout the eason.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's directed by Jodie Foster so probably dull and super forgettable like The Beaver and Money Monster.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.......oh yeah

I never saw the “it’s about a town full of women!” marketing for Godless and thank god I didn’t given scenes in ep 4 that are basically like LOOK HOW HAPPY EVERYONE IS TO HAVE MEN AROUND AGAIN THEY CAN GET BOUGHT PRESENTS AND BE FLIRTED WITH YAY

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's directed by Jodie Foster so probably dull and super forgettable like The Beaver and Money Monster.

I don’t know what kind of powerful poo poo you smoked through Money Monster but that movie was rock solid. That scene between Jack O’Connell and his girlfriend was loving brutal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

I don’t know what kind of powerful poo poo you smoked through Money Monster but that movie was rock solid. That scene between Jack O’Connell and his girlfriend was loving brutal.

It was like the Hallmark version of The Big Short. And a stupid "big bad" reveal at the end.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Kind of in a rut here finding programming for family. I'm kind of in hog heaven because I enjoy genre shows so much but they very much don't. They're super squarely in the ABC/CBS mold but even within there it's pretty choosy. Their peak enjoyment was The Good Wife but they've enjoyed Code Black, Elementary, Madam Secretary, and Major Crimes. Pretty much any show with supernatural elements has failed as with nearly everything where there's much gunfire at all. There's some moderate interest in Blindspot that I think I can keep going but that's the only one I can think of.

Game of Thrones and True Blood were both tremendous hits but pretty much any Game of Thrones-like I've explored on every bit of spectrum of edginess hasn't really gone anywhere. The Expanse to Outlander to The Magicians has been a failure.

I thought for a bit I might be able to get somewhere with BBC-like dramas but period pieces like Poldark and Outlander, mysteries like Broadchurch and I can't even get an episode of Downton Abbey off the ground. No-go on Dirk Gentley or Orphan Black.

I'm totally stuck. We're winding our way through The Good Doctor but I'm detecting a bit of eye glaze going now and we only have some episode left anyway.

Suggestions? I've got Hulu, Netflix, Prime, and all of the premium channels. Outside of Game of Thrones and True Blood (the ultimate outliers), they don't seem to like dark or boundary-nudging stuff but I'll try it out myself anyway to see. It's an amazing contrast where I have so much amazing TV to watch I don't have enough hours in my life to really see all of it and for them it seems like a wasteland.

Edit: They're in their 60s if that matters.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 26, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Black Mirror

Ed: vvvv yeah stranger things is a good suggestion too. Also try the good place maybe

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stranger Things? It's about as weird as Game of Thrones.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Stranger Things? It's about as weird as Game of Thrones.

Too tense, they bailed two episodes in. I love it though. Like capital L love it.

Edit: Good Place has some traction with 2/3rds of them so that's a good choice. Black Mirror was way too intense for the first episode so they won't go back to that well.

Edit: Definite thanks on the ideas. I'm open to absolutely anything. Even older Netflix and Hulu originals. The Man in the High Castle hasn't clicked unfortunately.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 26, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you sure they even want to watch TV? There's a billion good movies to watch too. Like Stand By Me.

How is Stranger Things too intense while grotesquely violent network crime shows are ok.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh wait,duh, westworld. Like that's THE game of thrones followup. Duh

Mu Zeta posted:

How is Stranger Things too intense while grotesquely violent network crime shows are ok.

he probably means literally tense works, like induces tension

Ugh....doctor who....might be...good, if they're in their 60s. Start with series 5, "the eleventh hour". That's basically the most cuddly and safe genre show out there

Maybe also try LOST or BSG, they're basically the forerunners to GoT in a lot of ways

If your older family likes westworld try person of interest, from the same showrunner, which is sort of a prototype network westworld

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 26, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you sure they even want to watch TV? There's a billion good movies to watch too. Like Stand By Me.

I've given a lot of thought to thinking that they don't actually like TV at all but the shows they like they really like so I'm motivated to find things if I can.

And dear god do I share your puzzlement. My aunt can watch vet shows on Animal Planet and stuff which are graphic and gross but outside of their amazing enjoyment of GoT and True Blood, if it things get violent they often done shortly afterwards. I was kind of amazed that they latched onto Blindspot.

Edit:

Oh wait,duh, westworld. Like that's THE game of thrones followup. Duh

he probably means literally tense works, like induces tension

Ugh....doctor who....might be...good, if they're in their 60s. Start with series 5, "the eleventh hour". That's basically the most cuddly and safe genre show out there

Maybe also try LOST or BSG, they're basically the forerunners to GoT in a lot of ways

Three episodes of Westworld was their capper unfortunately.

You know, I might just try the Doctor Who direction. I'm not a fan myself so I didn't consider it.

I feel like they tried Lost maybe but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for reminding me. BSG strikes me as potentially being dead in the water but I'm open to all ideas so I'll try out that idea as well.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 26, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also try Fargo and to a much lesser extent Legion, the former is pleasantly genre and pretty gentle all told, legion is p out there though

Also do Friday night lights, because there's nobody on this loving planet who can't love that show because its loving incredible

To you, specifically, although I'm like 99% sure your family will loving hate it if you love genre watch The Leftovers, one of the most incredible tv shows ever made

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Also try Fargo and to a much lesser extent Legion, the former is pleasantly genre and pretty gentle all told, legion is p out there though

Also do Friday night lights, because there's nobody on this loving planet who can't love that show because its loving incredible

To you, specifically, although I'm like 99% sure your family will loving hate it if you love genre watch The Leftovers, one of the most incredible tv shows ever made

I'll definitely take your suggestion of The Leftovers. I'd kind of shifted it aside as I couldn't remember the difference between it and The Returned and all of those other shows but the last few pages have sung its praises and I think I need to try it out. I'm seriously overwhelmed by how much amazing TV is out there now.

Friday Night Lights is a very promising suggestion. Does it require a sports appreciation to get into?

Fargo might have some traction now that I think of it. How's the violence? Breaking Bad seemed like a non-starter and I didn't even try Better Call Saul. But maybe I should try that and Fargo.

Edit: You guys are all pretty drat awesome. Thanks for the suggestions and any more to come.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate sports (sports ball) and I hate Minka Kelly but FNL is great despite all that.

Fargo is violent but not nearly as much as True Blood or Game of Thrones

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FNL always frames its games in the context of whatever issues people are currently having, so its not important to know how football works beyond literally what a quarterback does and that the sportsball guy is having an issue that will be reflected in the sportsball game he's playing.

Fargo has one p violent scene in the beginning and then is more or less bloodless with loads of people being killed offscreen or out of frame

Don't bother trying to get someone into BCS if they don't like breaking bad, I don't really see the point and a lot of the nuance is lost

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to request that whoever eventually makes the thread for Godless titles it Godless - Down for the count, and I'm drownin' in em plz

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I've given a lot of thought to thinking that they don't actually like TV at all but the shows they like they really like so I'm motivated to find things if I can.

And dear god do I share your puzzlement. My aunt can watch vet shows on Animal Planet and stuff which are graphic and gross but outside of their amazing enjoyment of GoT and True Blood, if it things get violent they often done shortly afterwards. I was kind of amazed that they latched onto Blindspot.

Edit:

Three episodes of Westworld was their capper unfortunately.

You know, I might just try the Doctor Who direction. I'm not a fan myself so I didn't consider it.

I feel like they tried Lost maybe but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for reminding me. BSG strikes me as potentially being dead in the water but I'm open to all ideas so I'll try out that idea as well.

Planet Earth? Documentary Now!? Random BBC show with people in old costumes? That Sam Neil spy show is fantastic.

e: come on yall, you have to try harder to not just suggest the nerdy weird poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shageletic posted:

That Sam Neill spy show is fantastic.

Sam Neill was, indeed, boss as poo poo in Reilly, Ace of Spies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ooooh, Patriot?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Terriers is going off of Netflix on 12/1.

It's one of the best TV shows ever made, so watch all 13 episodes ASAP

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
definitely Patriot and Friday Night Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Terriers is going off of Netflix on 12/1.

It's one of the best TV shows ever made, so watch all 13 episodes ASAP

Does it have a lovely ending? One of the reasons I haven't watched it was because I heard it got cancelled and just assumed I'd be left unsatisfied with a cliffhanger or something.

• Locked thread