Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If that were the case I'd probably mix the banana with some granola, form fries, and deep fry it to a crisp to serve with the ham and hollandaise. It would probably be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wish he'd asked for 4000 brown M&Ms, too. That's a solid request and anyone that does it right should have a fair shot.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

ahem actually HALL OF FAMER Andre Dawson is actually the best Marlin of all time
JEFF CONINE :toughguy:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are run by nerds, gonna crush this homework assignment

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Severely disappointed if Otani doesn't release each team's response.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ohtani continues to be a huge goofball and it rules.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

*open Eminem_Stan_Lyrics.txt*
*find 'slim' replace with 'shohei'*
*send*

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
A Miss America style pagent where GMs come out in evening gowns and say what Ohtani means to them

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I want Ohtani to choose his team by giving their GM a red rose

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is cool as hell that teams are having to essentially grovel before Ohtani

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

However good this guy looks there still has to be like a minimum 25% chance he just busts from the culture shock and weirdness of attempting to do something no one knows how to do in the modern era?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Whoa Daisuke is still pitching for the SoftBank Hawks

And Tsuyoshi Shinjo won the $1,000,000 on Who Wants to be A Millionaire

thanks wikipedia

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Ohtani challenges MLB GMs to illegal tokyo drift street race, promptly rolls car and severs both arms

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

It is cool as hell that teams are having to essentially grovel before Ohtani

It's not even really groveling, to be honest. He knows his value, he knows he's not going to get what he's worth, so why not make it a proper job interview with a benefits/perks package? He's probably going to make more for his city than Amazon's new HQ would.

And honestly, providing Japanese and English responses would be good form for a team anyway. If they're trying to attract foreign talent, make at least the bare minimum effort to communicate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The request from Ohtani also explicitly states he does not want teams to mention financial or potential contract terms. It's arguable every team has a legit shot at Ohtani provided they can make themselves look like the most attractive team, bonus pool money be damned.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

The request from Ohtani also explicitly states he does not want teams to mention financial or potential contract terms. It's arguable every team has a legit shot at Ohtani provided they can make themselves look like the most attractive team, bonus pool money be damned.

"We have a vaguely pitcher-friendly park, we let our pitchers hit (See: Wainwright, Adam), you'd be pitching to Yadier Molina and, um, there's the City Museum. Our fans? Oh, they'd totally be cool with a Japanese superstar." Cardinals might as well go full heel and just ship him some Imo's.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
GM essays will be graded on theme, creativity and penmanship.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope the Cubs let Javier Baez write our essay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I hope the Cubs let Javier Baez write our essay.

"Don't believe their lies about letting you hit, they won't even let me pitch!"

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If some team isn't putting on paper that he can pitch and play the field/hit everyday then what are they doing.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Just calling it now, Ohtani to the Giants where he will pitch and also platoon in RF with MadBum.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I want Ohtani to do it like the bachelor where he gives roses to teams that are still in the running

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Just calling it now, Ohtani to the Giants where he will pitch and also platoon in RF with MadBum.

Ohtani/Bumgarner platoon would probably be better than what they had in RF last year. This opinion heavily weighted towards, "They can't be worse than RF last year"

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 26, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't they have my boy Hunter in RF?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

Didn't they have my boy Hunter in RF?

They did and he wasn't good. He's been injured in these last 3 seasons and it's really starting to show both defensively and offensively. He was really bad at hitting until August, and his ability to play RF in AT&T is pretty much gone since his speed has atrophied.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What would the best use of Ohtani be? Position Player that can serve as a lights out fireman when needed?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

New Concept Hole posted:

They did and he wasn't good. He's been injured in these last 3 seasons and it's really starting to show both defensively and offensively. He was really bad at hitting until August, and his ability to play RF in AT&T is pretty much gone since his speed has atrophied.

Dang :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would the best use of Ohtani be? Position Player that can serve as a lights out fireman when needed?

DH on days when he isn't pitching

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Despite all that, he was still the 2nd best outfielder on the Giants by WAR, beating out 14 other outfielders!

You might be surprised to find out the Giants had an extremely bad outfield last year

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I would assume he wants to start and then play the OF when it's not his turn in the rotation. That's how Nippon Ham used him.

Also I knew he threw hard but drat I didn't know he topped out at 102 with movement. And also wins home run derbies.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tom Gorman posted:

I would assume he wants to start and then play the OF when it's not his turn in the rotation. That's how Nippon Ham used him.

Also I knew he threw hard but drat I didn't know he topped out at 102 with movement. And also wins home run derbies.

I may be completely wrong, but would a modern MLB team realistically let Ohtani play the outfield on the days before and after starting as pitcher? It seems like the team would need somebody to cover the outfield position 3/5 of the time who would be okay with not starting every game because "pitcher wants ABs :saddowns:"

Wait, I take back my previous MadBum comment. Obvious answer is to sign Ichiro and pair him with Ohtani in RF. This could work.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Per MLBTR Andre Ethier is retiring. I don’t know much about him but he seemed cool from what I did see.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I may be completely wrong, but would a modern MLB team realistically let Ohtani play the outfield on the days before and after starting as pitcher? It seems like the team would need somebody to cover the outfield position 3/5 of the time who would be okay with not starting every game because "pitcher wants ABs :saddowns:"

Wait, I take back my previous MadBum comment. Obvious answer is to sign Ichiro and pair him with Ohtani in RF. This could work.

Realistically, I don't think so. At least not as an everyday position player, maybe as a platoon. But I know that's what he wants to do, and well if he can hang and hit better than the other options and put in all the time and work, I guess he has a shot at doing it.

Mentally, Ohtani is like...I dunno, Ash Ketchum. He is determined to train to be the VERY BEST, LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS. There has to be a better example out there but you know what I mean.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Cleveland loves a good platoon, so that’s not a problem. You could also tempt him as being the missing piece to end the longest active World Series drought.

On the other hand he would have to live in Cleveland so yeah we won’t get him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tom Gorman posted:

Thats how they used him as an 18 year old, but since then they’ve played him at DH on his non pitching days (minus the days immediately before and after he starts)

It is not clear how willing NL teams will be to use him in the field or if he prefers that over DHing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

Per MLBTR Andre Ethier is retiring. I don’t know much about him but he seemed cool from what I did see.
Ethier disagrees

https://twitter.com/kengurnick/status/934877875529924608

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Cleveland loves a good platoon, so that’s not a problem. You could also tempt him as being the missing piece to end the longest active World Series drought.

On the other hand he would have to live in Cleveland so yeah we won’t get him.

Is he even a good platoon if you're forced to time his RF starts based on his pitching starts rather than the handedness of the opposing pitcher? The whole point of a platoon is usually to optimize righty/lefty matchups. I don't know exactly what splits Ohtani has, but I assume his value best comes from starting against RHP if he's part of a platoon.

bawfuls posted:

Thats how they used him as an 18 year old, but since then they've played him at DH on his non pitching days (minus the days immediately before and after he starts)

It is not clear how willing NL teams will be to use him in the field or if he prefers that over DHing

Which makes sense in NPB where bats are generally on par with AAA teams and Ohtani was clearly better than average. Unless Ohtani really hits his ceiling hard and turns into a superstar overnight, there's no way he's going to outperform an American League DH What major league team is going to tell the usual DH to sit out 40% of games (60% if Ohtani bats when he pitches) so Ohtani can hit? Is this really even a contending team if their DH is getting significantly outhit by Ohtani?

As I wrote this I checked how DHs did last year and holy :lol: the DH as a whole slashed .244/.318/.419, which is a lower batting average than every position (except pitcher) and the OPS (.737) is lower than every position except catcher and shortstop. So never mind, Ohtani should be a huge improvement for pretty much any team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you want to read something into it, Ohtani had a .660 OPS his rookie year when he played outfield

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 26, 2017

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Tom Gorman posted:

Whoa Daisuke is still pitching for the SoftBank Hawks

And Tsuyoshi Shinjo won the $1,000,000 on Who Wants to be A Millionaire

thanks wikipedia

Japanese Who Wants to be A Millionaire was dumb show, payout was 10mill yen or around 100k$. And it was basically only B-C tier Celebs and question difficulty level was questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rangers sign Doug Fister to a one year deal. Be careful all, that stove is getting pretty hot. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread