Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seriously, gently caress crafting. Who the hell thinks that what a sweeping, character-focused RPG needs is spending hours hunting down gribbly bits in the landscape to harvest for pitiful amounts of random materials so you can make new weapons and armor instead of, oh, finding new gear as loot or being given as rewards?

It's dumb, tedious bullshit that's enormously dragged down every game I've played with a crafting system where the game didn't explicitly revolve around it from the beginning like Subnautica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I ignore crafting in like 9/10 games I play with them (The 10th is usually Subnautica or an actual crafting focused game) and pretty much never suffer for it, most of the time it's really only there if you wanna turbosperg and min/max. :shrug:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Crafting keeps sneaking into games it has no business being in, like The Evil Within 2 and the latest Tomb Raider. How bout the devs just put some thought into environmental design and put he poo poo out there for me to find, jesus the christ.

EW2 is actually one of the ones I was thinking about though, I don't think I ever crafted medical items at any point and the only notable time I made ammo was right at the end, when I used my mountain of gunpowder by that point to make a giant heap of AR ammo to chainsaw through everything in the last section, like for the most part it feels like they give you enough ammo in the world if you're making your shots count, the crafting is there if you're a more casual player and having more shots go wild into nothing. Casual not meant in the obnoxious 'slur' kind of way either, I mean it in the way that crafting in EW2 feels almost entirely like a helpful backup system more than any "Absolutely integral to survive, use it now player" type thing.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Nov 27, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Crafting keeps sneaking into games it has no business being in, like The Evil Within 2 and the latest Tomb Raider. How bout the devs just put some thought into environmental design and put he poo poo out there for me to find, jesus the christ.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

I got Wolf2, Doom, and Prey for $15 each on black Friday and I'm thinking I'll move to Doom next once I get this done. I'm on the last real level and I should be close to the end of it. The games just throwing lots and lots of the heavily armored dual wielding fuckers and those robot dogs that spot lasers at me. I don't think I'll platinum this after I see those credits roll.

Move to Doom now. It's by far the better fast-paced FPS and everything Wolf2 does Doom does right.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bussamove posted:

Move to Doom now. It's by far the better fast-paced FPS and everything Wolf2 does Doom does right.

I dont really agree. I love Doom 2016 a lot but they have different design philosophies at work.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Crafting seemed ok in Alien Isolation. It kinda made sense to be an engineer making space gadgets out of all the material dudes left behind when trying to get out of dodge.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I agree with all of the complaints against Wolf2 but at the end of the day I enjoyed it more than Doom because the core action of shooting bad dudes just felt better, mostly because there were a lot more enemies at once, your guns killed them faster, and there was better feedback for dealing damage. Basically, Doom felt like this:

https://i.imgur.com/DIlfKok.gifv

and Wolf2 felt like this:

https://i.imgur.com/30zsE9Q.gifv

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Transcendence does crafting right. It's a shop type and if you have the right weapons and some cash they can make you massively upgraded versions of those weapons (like an omnidirectional self-targeting version of some basic laser cannons, or a "double" version of some kinetic weapons), or throw together good armour plates for reasonable prices if you have the ore for it. Since the game's slow-paced and heavily trading-focused, their recipes just become a shopping list for you to scrounge for as you proceed, or backtrack for if you've got time and patience.

The thing dragging it down are its super clunky mouse controls. Thank gently caress they kept the legacy keyboard bindings.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat unplugged the PlayStation so I finally bothered to patch Wolf 2. Go to load my game and it tells me I have to start the level over because I was playing on an old version.

What the loving gently caress could have changed in a shoot man's game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

Cat unplugged the PlayStation so I finally bothered to patch Wolf 2. Go to load my game and it tells me I have to start the level over because I was playing on an old version.

What the loving gently caress could have changed in a shoot man's game?

damage of enemies, health of enemies, environment problems that can trap the player out of bounds, location of items

should i keep going

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

damage of enemies, health of enemies, environment problems that can trap the player out of bounds, location of items

should i keep going

Fair I've just never run into a shooter telling me "no gently caress you start over." Could you imagine if Bloodborne had done that after they fixed that bug with duping in launch?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Triarii posted:

Basically, Doom felt like this:

Ftfy

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Len posted:

Fair I've just never run into a shooter telling me "no gently caress you start over." Could you imagine if Bloodborne had done that after they fixed that bug with duping in launch?

It's just a level, it's not like it's the whole game :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

On the other hand bloodborne did just tell you "No, gently caress you. Go farm for healing items" and I got very bored of that very fast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Olive! posted:

It's just a level, it's not like it's the whole game :shrug:

As it turned out I was in the very last combat room before the epilogue so I'm justified to bitch about that :colbert:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The inability to go between lanterns without first going back to the Hunters Dream (or whatever it is called) in Bloodborne is super annoying. They must have had a reason for this, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Nuebot posted:

On the other hand bloodborne did just tell you "No, gently caress you. Go farm for healing items" and I got very bored of that very fast.

This also gets me. I'm at a point now where I'm familiar enough with the game that it's not an issue but on my first playthrough, jeez.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm on the fence about the execution animations, too - the spectacle is cool in general principle, but in the context of a Doom game I felt that they interrupted the flow and kept me from getting into a groove of just wrecking roomfuls of demons. Losing and regaining camera control repeatedly during a fight just feels...rough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Triarii posted:

I'm on the fence about the execution animations, too - the spectacle is cool in general principle, but in the context of a Doom game I felt that they interrupted the flow and kept me from getting into a groove of just wrecking roomfuls of demons. Losing and regaining camera control repeatedly during a fight just feels...rough.

It's a problem in any game they're in. It's cool the first time it happens. But the thousandth? Less so. At least fallout 3/NV/4 and Skyrim usually only trigger them for the last enemy in the encounter. But still, after playing the game for a good few hours you really, really don't need to see your bullet go flying slow-mo across the room into the skull of that bandit. It's just a bandit. You've seen this exact scene before.

It gets especially frustrating in an action game where you get bonuses for doing the context kill so you're actively punished for not wanting to watch your character ram their fist up a giant monster's rear end and rip their throat out the wrong way.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I've just finished FALLOUT 3 and really enjoyed it. But are the Bobby pins made out of paper and dreams? Seriously! Maybe it's my fault for going backwards but no way was lock picking this finnicky in Fallout 4.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Triarii posted:

I'd argue the opposite. Execution animations reward you for closing in on your targets during combat and give you breathing-room in-between targets. Something that really dragged down Wolfenstein for me is how it does the complete opposite of what Doom does by locking you into animations, leaving you vulnerable while the animation finishes and giving you nothing for the trouble.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nuebot posted:

It's a problem in any game they're in. It's cool the first time it happens. But the thousandth? Less so. At least fallout 3/NV/4 and Skyrim usually only trigger them for the last enemy in the encounter. But still, after playing the game for a good few hours you really, really don't need to see your bullet go flying slow-mo across the room into the skull of that bandit. It's just a bandit. You've seen this exact scene before.
Skyrim's version was fantastic because seeing it do the cool slo-mo effect when your fireball went whizzing past the bad guy's head to explode harmlessly against the side of a hill 100 meters behind him never got old. I don't know how they managed to make it so that the game thought it was going to hit when it wasn't, but it's hilarious.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

I'd argue the opposite. Execution animations reward you for closing in on your targets during combat and give you breathing-room in-between targets. Something that really dragged down Wolfenstein for me is how it does the complete opposite of what Doom does by locking you into animations, leaving you vulnerable while the animation finishes and giving you nothing for the trouble.

Yeah, the Wolfenstein executions are beyond useless and will almost always get you killed - no idea what they were thinking to not at least make you invulnerable during the animation. But in either case I think I would rather just shoot things to death and stay moving, especially in a game that's all about fast movement like Doom.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The crafting in Rise was one of the few things I actually liked about it because it was so streamlined and simple and made to be done while scrambling around in combat. It captured the feel of improvising weapons without bogging everything down with menus and and inventory management. Shame about pretty much everything else.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Robert J. Omb posted:

I've just finished FALLOUT 3 and really enjoyed it. But are the Bobby pins made out of paper and dreams? Seriously! Maybe it's my fault for going backwards but no way was lock picking this finnicky in Fallout 4.

Git gud :colbert:

In all seriousness I think they did make them less fragile in 4, which I mildly resent because I enjoy the lockpicking game. I might be slightly broken though because I love the Fallout hacking minigame too.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Triarii posted:

Yeah, the Wolfenstein executions are beyond useless and will almost always get you killed - no idea what they were thinking to not at least make you invulnerable during the animation. But in either case I think I would rather just shoot things to death and stay moving, especially in a game that's all about fast movement like Doom.

They really should have made it clearer that you can turn around and use the enemy as a human shield during the animation, not that it would have been enough but it would surely have helped.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Nuebot posted:

It gets especially frustrating in an action game where you get bonuses for doing the context kill so you're actively punished for not wanting to watch your character ram their fist up a giant monster's rear end and rip their throat out the wrong way.

FO3/NV had an option to turn off Killcam I believe, at least outside of VATS. Definitely destroys the flow though and I hate it when it triggers mid mob because it seems to hang on the flying corpse for far too long while his friends pile in and trash me.

I actually liked crafting in Skyrim in that pretty much everything except end-game Dragonbone could be bought from smiths. I felt like the armours were pretty underutilised though as none of them had built in bonuses and with high enough smithing you could break the armour cap without really trying, so it just became a game of pretty dress up. There was basically no point to farming for anything between Steel/Elven and Dragon Heavy/Light. I know the Enchanting system tried to replace that, but it would have been nice to have Elven give a built in unique bonus to magic vs Orcish giving a damage boost or something.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Werong Bustope posted:

Git gud :colbert:

In all seriousness I think they did make them less fragile in 4, which I mildly resent because I enjoy the lockpicking game. I might be slightly broken though because I love the Fallout hacking minigame too.

Fair point!

You may also be right with the 'git gud' thing. I've moved on to SONIC MANIA and the Oil Ocean boss keeps handing my arse to me.

I'm not as quick with the fingers as I was in the '90s ☹️

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am really tired of horror games taking place in a residence that just have, like, rotten food and gross poo poo lying around. Like, okay, the people here may be crazy and psychotic, but why does that always seem to mean that they just pull intestines out of pigs and leave them strewn around a kitchen? It's lazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

Fair point!

You may also be right with the 'git gud' thing. I've moved on to SONIC MANIA and the Oil Ocean boss keeps handing my arse to me.

Nah, the Oil Ocean 2 boss is a pile of crap, its not just you being older.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
In an intense spat of extreme boredom, I picked up COD WW2 over the weekend. I say that because after playing everything from COD2 up to MW2, I felt like I had seen most of what the franchise had to offer. So...not usually my jam.

The Campaign is about what I expected. It's fun enough, and way less heavy on the awful guilt tripping that was Battlefield 1.

But let's talk about Zombie Mode. I was excited for this because it was just about the only thing I liked in whichever game it was first introduced. (MW2, maybe?)

So perhaps someone can answer for me, since last night was my first time playing it for any length of time. Is there a wave limit?

I don't know the upgrade system, and started a game at level 1. One guy on my team was like level 40 or something and obviously knew how to min/max the upgrade system, and kept using the sewer trap to blast himself onto a ledge which the zombies couldn't reach. Watching him in spectator mode, his weapons were ridiculous. He could one-shot almost everything except those big-rear end boss dudes with the big metal arm, and I'm over here with a piddly SMG emptying entire clips into zombies which seems to be merely tickling them.

All this means is that after wave say...25, every round was just the rest of us getting swarmed to death and bleeding out, while that dude sat up on his perch killing everything, while occasionally coming down to revive someone. But usually just finishing the round with just him and the rest of us watching in spectator mode.

I kept expecting after we unlocked all the stuff that eventually we would reach a final wave and it would end. But I got tired of not doing anything around wave 38 and quit.

So...what's up with that? Does it just go on forever? It's decidedly unfun to have no idea what's going on with weapon upgrades and to spend your round on your back plinking away with a pistol, only to die and just spectate for the next 10 minutes while one dude mops up. Also where the hell do you get more ammo? I kept running out, even of sidearm ammo.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Zombies is now objectove based so there is no wave limit. I had the same experience you did and it made me more confident than ever in my disdain for horde modes.

Glukeose has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Nov 27, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Assassin's Creed is infamous for having terrible tailing missions but Syndicate takes the cake. There's only one(That's I've seen so far) but it's absolutely awful: You're following a chariot, but you gotta do it through the roofs to stay undetected. There's absolutely no way of staying ahead unless you already know the path it's going to take, even with the grappling hook.

The game isn't stellar or anything but this section stands out on how terrible it was.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Robert J. Omb posted:

Fair point!

This is my experience with Sonic Mania too :saddowns: I'm not as good at games as I was when I was 8, apparently.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

...Wolf2... I don't think I'll platinum this after I see those credits roll.

You definitely won't. Beating the game on Mein Leben difficulty with one life and no saving is one of the trophies. And on PS4 it's a loving Bronze. :gonk:

I think that's going to be one of those "pretty much sure this person is hacking their achievements" indicators, like people who have all the Xbox achievements for FF11.

e: Oh my god. I love this achievement now, if just for the incredible whining it's producing.

Mein leben difficulty is one life, no saving, and there's a trophy/achievement for it? Now I'm not buying the game.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Nov 27, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
People beat Doom 16's Ultra Nightmare difficulty on day one. Mein Leben sounds like the same thing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dewgy posted:

e: Oh my god. I love this achievement now, if just for the incredible whining it's producing.

Mein leben difficulty is one life, no saving, and there's a trophy/achievement for it? Now I'm not buying the game.

That is amazing

You
Oct 6, 2009
So I got around to play Blood Bowl 2 recently and it took a while to get my head around the mechanics, but when I did I really enjoyed it. That was until the RNG started to feel wonky. I'm quite certain it's all fine, but never getting a turnover, failing at every crucial action and getting double skulls four times over two games (or rather eight times, counting the rerolls) while the opposition at worst get push, it starts to feel a little biased. It's probably just bad luck with the rolls, but goddamn does it put me off from playing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RyokoTK posted:

People beat Doom 16's Ultra Nightmare difficulty on day one. Mein Leben sounds like the same thing.

Hell, there are already video tutorials of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOc6WUpOngo

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You posted:

So I got around to play Blood Bowl 2 recently and it took a while to get my head around the mechanics, but when I did I really enjoyed it. That was until the RNG started to feel wonky. I'm quite certain it's all fine, but never getting a turnover, failing at every crucial action and getting double skulls four times over two games (or rather eight times, counting the rerolls) while the opposition at worst get push, it starts to feel a little biased. It's probably just bad luck with the rolls, but goddamn does it put me off from playing.

For what its worth, as far as I know the RNG is fair, as you say. Its just luck can be a bastard sometimes. If its any consolation I've had games like that rolling actual dice. Its usually going for it rolls for me, its only a one in six chance of failing, but goddamn if the dice dont actually hate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

Without dying or saving though?