Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"It would be far easier for Ireland, as a single landmass, to adopt a special customs policy to facilitate trade and movement between themselves and Northern Ireland and prevent the need for a hard border" :davissay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sleazy but I don't think it's actually against the rules assuming it's the Conservatives own money and not taxpayers, is it?

If you're secretly paying another political party money in return for political influence, isn't that straight violation of the Bribery Act?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yo Brits,

we still like you

https://twitter.com/mwarne/status/934763415171686400

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

"It would be far easier for Ireland, as a single landmass, to adopt a special customs policy to facilitate trade and movement between themselves and Northern Ireland and prevent the need for a hard border" :davissay:

It would be far easier to move this asteroid into a stable orbit by changing the gravitational constant of the universe, Captain Davis.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

TheRat posted:

If you're secretly paying another political party money in return for political influence, isn't that straight violation of the Bribery Act?

The fact that it was reported as a 'secret side deal' would suggest that it is either illegal, or that those initiating it perceived it to be illegal, or just unethical at the very least- still troubling.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Irish border problem will sort itself out, let’s focus on what’s important and get Britain out of the loony EU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Genuinely touching :unsmith:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lord_Adonis posted:

It would be far easier to move this asteroid into a stable orbit by changing the gravitational constant of the universe, Captain Davis.

Not even a Q could make a successful Brexit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Once, the British stole their spuds, now we pay for their spads.

The times, they are a-changin'.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

The chance of Ireland following Britain into Brexit is nil. We have seen how the British view us, why would we expect them to treat us fairly once we have aided them in their negotiation.

It has to be a border at the sea, have you guys seen the boundary around the north, it would be impossible to patrol it effectively against smuggling.
You'd think so but we are so far down the path of pure insanity that Arlene Foster is somehow dictating Brexit terms to May instead of being thrown in the tower for trying to steal a billion quid from the British public to pay for wood chips.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Tearing up a little bit.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Did we ever name anything after Jo Cox in honour of her convictions?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Lord_Adonis posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

I like this avatar but holy poo poo is that tempting.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Grimey Drawer
Do people still doubt Russia is loving with the world?

Their geopolitical "experts" write books openly stating how they're gonna gently caress the EU and the US up.

They wrote of taking back Ukraine a few years before they totally didn't invade Ukraine.

Russia is wearing its plans on its sleeve and they keep blindsiding everyone.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/26/student-rugby-team-forced-to-cancel-event-mocking-miners-strike

And people in England might think students might be posh cunts.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do people still doubt Russia is loving with the world?

Russia is loving with the world in the same way every major power has always been loving with the world. It's really loving tedious to listen to western politicians blame everything on them, however.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
So when the finger pointing for brexit being shite finally turns to Ireland, what are the chances of the DUP backstabbing the Tories despite their bribe increased funding from May then?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

limited posted:

So when the finger pointing for brexit being shite finally turns to Ireland, what are the chances of the DUP backstabbing the Tories despite their bribe increased funding from May then?

The Tories will start workshops making flags and the whole thing will blow over

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

they're, what, 19yos

Orgreave is something their parents witter on about

(seriously, there's a generational gap here. For a generation raised on 'elf and 'afety, the dimension of a politics where dropping concrete blocks on scabs is seen as a winning move is just alien; the notion that the riot police don't have a trump card on any kind of crowd management is an outrageous lapse of state responsibility rather than a rollback of a hard-won permissive society; and coal and linotype both seem curiously luddite)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Coohoolin posted:

Did we ever name anything after Jo Cox in honour of her convictions?

She wasnt assassinated it was just an unstable lone wolf its completely not political in nature move along move along

:smith:
Every time I am reminded of Jo Cox I inevitably remember the sheer callousness and inaction that proceeded her assassination (and it was a fuckin political assassination).
It was a moment where i thought "gently caress me maybe her death will mean something and change things for the better"

But no.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Yes, but it's also called "a political donation", depending on the exact circumstances.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
baying about the transparent influence of foreign money on one's civil society used to be so very Soviet

remember when all the tankies were complaining about the entire world around them falling in love with colour revolutions when these are self-evidently CIA-sponsored coups, look, they aren't even trying to hide their affiliation and funding?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Don't know if it's already been posted, but the Times is reporting that Jeremy Hunt is setting his sights on Number 10, lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

She wasnt assassinated it was just an unstable lone wolf its completely not political in nature move along move along

:smith:
Every time I am reminded of Jo Cox I inevitably remember the sheer callousness and inaction that proceeded her assassination (and it was a fuckin political assassination).
It was a moment where i thought "gently caress me maybe her death will mean something and change things for the better"

But no.

I still reckon if it'd been a Tory MP assassinated by a left winger the consequences would've been beyond catastrophic. Like, violence in the streets.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ronya posted:

baying about the transparent influence of foreign money on one's civil society used to be so very Soviet

remember when all the tankies were complaining about the entire world around them falling in love with colour revolutions when these are self-evidently CIA-sponsored coups, look, they aren't even trying to hide their affiliation and funding?

I mean, they weren't wrong. The CIA basically coup'd half the world and wasn't even shy about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ratjaculation posted:

The Irish border problem will sort itself out, let’s focus on what’s important and get Britain out of the loony EU

Exactly, we need to sort out our trade deal before we have any idea what should be done about the Irish boarder. As usual the EU is trying to put the cart before the horse in order to muck about with negotiations as much as possible!!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fridge corn posted:

Exactly, we need to sort out our trade deal before we have any idea what should be done about the Irish boarder. As usual the EU is trying to put the cart before the horse in order to muck about with negotiations as much as possible!!

all the irish boarders will be sent back to iristan where they belong

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"Well it's true that Britain has committed to not reenter the EU. But nobody's said anything about Bre-entering it :smuggo:"

#brexitquibble

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
To be fair here, it is an established British tradition to expect the hard work to be done by the Irish

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no worries everyone liam fox has said we'll only discuss the irish border once a trade deal has been agreed

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Miftan posted:

I mean, they weren't wrong. The CIA basically coup'd half the world and wasn't even shy about it.

yup

the trick is to appreciate that there's no bright line between a genuine and a manufactured consensus, and in the end, there's just one consensus that matters

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

fridge corn posted:

Good thing we have the 'mAy-Team' in charge, doing great work so far. Imagine the shambles if Corbyn had won the election? We'd not be leaving the EU and he'd be offering ISIS a flat in Worcester as part of 'peace talks' - its mad! God bless May!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I can’t wait for this government to start The Troubles 2: Explosive Boogaloo. Gonna be great!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ronya posted:

yup

the trick is to appreciate that there's no bright line between a genuine and a manufactured consensus, and in the end, there's just one consensus that matters

Which is to say, the one in Washington ;)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

no worries everyone liam fox has said we'll only discuss the irish border once a trade deal has been agreed

Good at least someone is talking sense

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ronya posted:

yup

This issue is giving me a lot of headaches recently, and I think I agree with you, but I'd also like it if certain interest holders that aren't a part of the local community (however you want to define it) don't influence that consensus to match their own interests (eg United Fruit Company)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

Don't know if it's already been posted, but the Times is reporting that Jeremy Hunt is setting his sights on Number 10, lol

I reckon he could do it. He's survived this long openly pissing on the NHS while the Tory party holds his beer, he's anointed by Murdoch for services rendered while culture secretary, and I bet he ate that guy's first tarantula

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I wonder how long Hunt could avoid being seen by the media as PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Miftan posted:

This issue is giving me a lot of headaches recently, and I think I agree with you, but I'd also like it if certain interest holders that aren't a part of the local community (however you want to define it) don't influence that consensus to match their own interests (eg United Fruit Company)

This is/was a central plank of third way-ism. Blair et al decided what was in their best interests of the most people, and developed in parallel the plan for establishing a consensus for it along with the plan for implementing it. The problem is, every time you pretend something is a problem, someone somewhere becomes convinced that it is; the CIA in the Middle East was happy to let Islamic militants think their faith was under threat.

• Locked thread