Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Choose 1.

There is nothing contradictory about those two statements. The run-time cares about what the result of the interpreter/compiler/JIT/whatever. Some abstractions are indeed more performant - often the ones that are more difficult to maintain/extend/scale. There are times when duplicating code is a good thing and there are times when it's bad. How and why is a combination of performance/maintainability/personal preference/team culture. Coding dogma is bad. Being informed about pros and cons of various practices, and self-critical of the abstractions we choose, is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PederP posted:

There is nothing contradictory about those two statements. The run-time cares about what the result of the interpreter/compiler/JIT/whatever. Some abstractions are indeed more performant - often the ones that are more difficult to maintain/extend/scale. There are times when duplicating code is a good thing and there are times when it's bad. How and why is a combination of performance/maintainability/person preference. Coding dogma is bad. Being informed about pros and cons of various practices, and self-critical of the abstractions we choose, is good.

lol. So Runtime doesn't care about your coding practices unless it does. Pro-tip

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PederP posted:

No, that's only one out of three (ie always rub). There are several valid reasons to not always use interfaces in C#, mostly performance related, but also because it's not always the best abstraction for the programmer. If you're happy wrapping everything in an interface, great. But it doesn't magically make your code bad if you don't.

I agree to a certain degree (allthough I'm not sure what you mean by "wrapping" something in an interface), but imo for a new programmer, it is good to understand very early on how important interfaces are. I'm mostly working on ERP systems, where clean IoC is paramount for easy and stable customization, and I am often baffled that programmers with a couple of years of experience in the field never - ever - use interfaces and create tightly coupled code that is impossible to decouple. This leads to frankenstein systems that are a nightmare to work with.

As a general hint for a new coder, I still think it is a valid advice.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I enjoy people talking about something they're passionate about. It works as a nice counterpoint in these threads.

The old cooking discussions were great.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Aramoro posted:

lol. So Runtime doesn't care about your coding practices unless it does. Pro-tip

Let me rephrase it then - it doesn't about whether it is maintainable, readable, extensible, scalable, etc. My point is that the functional characteristics of code and the "soft" characteristics of code are separate. And when someone tells you something is categorically bad due to something "soft", you need to be critical. If it's got a functional issue (ie it's slow, eats up memory, etc.) then that's something you need to weight against the "soft" benefits. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. But when a teacher says the student writes bad code because of "modules" in a loving array learning session, then that's very likely to be a dumb and irrelevant observation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tuo posted:

I agree to a certain degree (allthough I'm not sure what you mean by "wrapping" something in an interface), but imo for a new programmer, it is good to understand very early on how important interfaces are. I'm mostly working on ERP systems, where clean IoC is paramount for easy and stable customization, and I am often baffled that programmers with a couple of years of experience in the field never - ever - use interfaces and create tightly coupled code that is impossible to decouple. This leads to frankenstein systems that are a nightmare to work with.

As a general hint for a new coder, I still think it is a valid advice.

I would go down the route of leaning to use interfaces because generally you're going to write more loosely coupled code and more easily maintained code, which is a good thing. Those instances where you need to do something for performance etc are the edge cases and you don't want to get into the habit of early optimisations as they're frequently a poor idea or misapplied, especially by novice programmers

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aramoro posted:

I would go down the route of leaning to use interfaces because generally you're going to write more loosely coupled code and more easily maintained code, which is a good thing. Those instances where you need to do something for performance etc are the edge cases and you don't want to get into the habit of early optimisations as they're frequently a poor idea or misapplied, especially by novice programmers

:hfive:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

FTR you're wasting your time trying to take down derek with effort posts. He's a loony and 3.0 appears to have broken his brain even more. But definitely do more trolling videos like that because baiting thin skinned citizens will never not be funny.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Ill admit it because im honest. Like more of you should be about how wrong you all are about cigs fails and demise.

I put "lol you sell out retard" or something to that effect. I realized about ten seconds after i hit post so i edited it down to lol and admitted my self ownage to the thread at large.

Hahaha, it's all good, I didn't even think about goons seeing it and flipping poo poo, I just wanted to troll the remaining people I haven't driven off my channel who are blind apologists for CIG.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

alphabettitouretti posted:

FTR you're wasting your time trying to take down derek with effort posts. He's a loony and 3.0 appears to have broken his brain even more. But definitely do more trolling videos like that because baiting thin skinned citizens will never not be funny.

Hahaha, I'm over Derek, I swear.

Plus watching him rage out over my last video was loving priceless and I can't imagine a better way to wash my hands of him.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://clips.twitch.tv/PunchyObeseSamosaUWot

:allears:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PederP posted:

Let me rephrase it then - it doesn't about whether it is maintainable, readable, extensible, scalable, etc. My point is that the functional characteristics of code and the "soft" characteristics of code are separate. And when someone tells you something is categorically bad due to something "soft", you need to be critical. If it's got a functional issue (ie it's slow, eats up memory, etc.) then that's something you need to weight against the "soft" benefits. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. But when a teacher says the student writes bad code because of "modules" in a loving array learning session, then that's very likely to be a dumb and irrelevant observation.

I would agree things like maintainability are in the soft area but then again I would try to encourage best practices early. Whilst the teacher is in all likely hood bad the principals of modular-sing code are good, and you need a good reason to not do it. I would want an excellent reason for someone duplicating code for example, is the hit in maintainability worth the performance gain. Compilers and processers are not so esoteric in their operation that it can be extremely hard to work out.

This is a really fun question for interviews, not because I expect someone to know the answer but because it's fun to talk about

code:
#include <algorithm>
#include <ctime>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    // Generate data
    const unsigned arraySize = 32768;
    int data[arraySize];

for (unsigned c = 0; c < arraySize; ++c)
        data[c] = std::rand() % 256;

// !!! With this, the next loop runs faster
    std::sort(data, data + arraySize);

// Test
    clock_t start = clock();
    long long sum = 0;

for (unsigned i = 0; i < 100000; ++i)
    {
        // Primary loop
        for (unsigned c = 0; c < arraySize; ++c)
        {
            if (data[c] >= 128)
                sum += data[c];
        }
    }

double elapsedTime = static_cast<double>(clock() - start) / CLOCKS_PER_SEC;

std::cout << elapsedTime << std::endl;
    std::cout << "sum = " << sum << std::endl;
}
This code executes a lot faster if you sort the array before running the loop. Worth noting that this feature is language agnostic, you can replicate the result in most high level languages.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 27, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The owls are not what they seem.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

cig plz nerf nipplejets :colbert:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

I didn't pay $250 to loose a race to a fart powered commando.

Crush Boss
Nov 25, 2010

Don't let children breath your smoke

FailureToReport posted:

Hahaha, it's all good, I didn't even think about goons seeing it and flipping poo poo, I just wanted to troll the remaining people I haven't driven off my channel who are blind apologists for CIG.

Looks like you found a new home. Enjoy your stay.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Virtual Captain posted:

I didn't pay $250 to loose a race to a fart powered commando.

https://gifsound.com/?gfycat=PoorReflectingCentipede&v=feA64wXhbjo&s=8

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Jeff Bazos, Amazon billionaire, talking in 1999 about his office desk which is an old door with 2x4s for legs

"It's a symbol of spending money on customers who do matter and not spending it on things that don't"

https://youtu.be/6cTjhzSgdwE

Watch from 1m10s for quote

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I don't rembember this but the filename does not lie.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Hey Uncle D, whats the latest buzz from your sources. We've been missing those lately.

The rumored people existing and "silent" layoffs still persist. They're doing everything they can to keep it quiet, but they have been downsizing heavily since mid Q3/17. And they're using the oldest trick in the book to keep that on the down low, but inflating their jobs page. The jobs never get filled.

Hilariously, one of my oldest sources (the one who first told me last year about the 3.0 disaster we're now enjoying), hit me with an "I called it" message yesterday. I was laughing so hard. :laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

just last week it was "it was a lore post and nothing more, please show us exactly where CIG said they are selling land plots"

to now "I'm happy they are selling land plots, I can't wait to own my own Xian apartment!"

suckers

They're loving mental.

----------------

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Chunjee posted:

I don't rembember this but the filename does not lie.

They gaze right at my soul and won't let me sleep. Furthermore there is an unbanned toxxed/r still wandering around.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

4th Day of Sale Current Tally is at : 2.775M

The following are out of the race. Sorry folks, there's always next year!

big nipples big life 1.7
Dark Off 2.3
Gradis 2.3
trucutru 2.7
alf_pogs 2.3
Krakenwagen 0.9
Virtual Captain 1.69
Zest 0.7
Ash1138 2.2
D_Smart <1
Incitatus 420,069
spacetoaster 700,000
DapperDon 1.5
Enchanted Hat 2
Goosfraba 1.3
Taintrunner 0.7
Omniblivion 2.69
his nibs 2.75
ewe2 2.3
Hobold 0.8
grimcreaper 1.8
Milky Moor 2.7
Hav 1.89
Foo Diddley I guessed 40% less than what they made last year
Flared Basic Bitch 2.7

If you're not in the list, you're still good!

Buy a hammerhead!

e: normalized the numbers

I was thinking day one sales when I made that estimate. I had no idea this was about the full 7 day sale. Not that it would have made a difference, as I wouldn't have pegged it at > $2m either.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Hey uncle Derek when you get a chance you uh might want to rewatch failure to reports last video posted in the thread. Just watch like 3-4 minutes. It's really good and funny I promise.

Yeah, everyone sent me messages about that here and on Discord. I don't care what he's got in it, I'm not going back to that festering postule's channel again. He is a perfect example of what I'm going to do these Usual Suspects once this poo poo-show finally collapses. loving turd should buy back in, just to spite me. THAT I would watch.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Hahaha, I'm over Derek, I swear.

Plus watching him rage out over my last video was loving priceless and I can't imagine a better way to wash my hands of him.

I didn't watch it; because I don't give a poo poo.

ps: Go gently caress yourself.

----------------

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dogeh posted:

I started, like many, on BASIC but quickly moved on to 6502 assembler.
Then I moved on to C, C++, Pascal and Delphi, Perl, Java, PHP and Javascript.
C++ was fine but I really hated the whole pointers thing.
These days I just use PHP for everything, even though it is the crappiest.

I'd have thought after doing 6502 that pointers would be second nature?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Between the avatar, title text, gang tag and deranged sig, Derek's posts are starting to resemble a geocities page circa 1995. All he needs now is an under construction gif.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

This poo poo is broken beyond belief.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Between the avatar, title text, gang tag and deranged sig, Derek's posts are starting to resemble a geocities page circa 1995. All he needs now is an under construction gif.

:grin:

----------------

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

This poo poo is broken beyond belief.

Go gently caress yourself and give me the gang tag, you only have this power sadly.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

TheAgent posted:

it's obvious there's about 4 or 5 thousand people continually dropping thousands and thousands per month on this game

its the only way CIG is staying afloat at this point

This is my main point about this game. Ok yes the game may not be a "scam" in the strict sense of the word. And yes the game is being worked on and will come about at some point but what will you be left with? The 4,000-5,000 backers who stayed with game the whole way? There aren't any new people coming in at this point and the type of game they are making is something the masses don't want to play. It's why Blizzard abandoned Titan all those years ago.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

D_Smart posted:

I didn't watch it; because I don't give a poo poo.

ps: Go gently caress yourself.

He called you out several times. Says you never called anything and uses links to prove it. He owned your rear end pretty hard id give it a looksee because ppl are gonna debunk you with it

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Well I can't use my biochem degree for a while cause I lack an immune system so I can't work in the lab anymore. I figured I liked computers and I'm not totally brain dead yet and coding seems neat since we were always stuck trying to code a custom program in the lab. C# is just what the intro to programming course teaches. It's been neat, did hello world and did a little census program and a thing calculate discounts and now doing a payroll thing. I just have been in enough classes to know my teacher is bad and that I need more help outside of class to try to be good at it. What's the old adage, try to be the best at what you try to do? Something like that. Trying to be good at it.

https://www.hackerrank.com/ this is also a good site if you want to gently caress around with a new language and want to start with something easy but maybe get into something serious later, too.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Not even 6am in California and things are already looking up.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Here’s my next prediction for the future <let me put on my Rasputin robes>

Chris will step down from his position at CIG at the end of 2018 (or the first quarter of 2019) and hand the company over to Erin with one of two possible explanations:

A)Some health thing has come up, that has forced him to step away (bullshit)

or most likely to occur:

B) He has completed the vision of the project and handed it over to Erin (and whomever the management is there at that point) to finish out the game, because they are fully capable of completing the dream.

He will also tell the loyal cultists that he will remain onboard the project as a creative consultant (possibly stoking his ego to include the reference “like Bill Gates does currently for Microsoft”) so it is all good for the project - and Star Citizen will go on for years - Please keep funding.

The reason I am predicting this timeframe is that it will be at a point in the project where funding will be significantly dropping off, and he will escape pod out before the hard decisions have to be made about shuttering one or two of the studios as he does not like to deal with that kind of stuff, and has no empathy for other people (or their families livelihoods). This will be much like DA was when he jumped out before all the layoffs and accountability occured, and sailed away into his next dream with buckets of money: Hence completing the Chris Roberts “Circle of failure” that has been repeated time and again in his career.

Yes, I could be off in my timeline, but I definitely feel (based on past history) that this is going to occur at some near future point. I’ll pick this timeline though so Beet can start working on my “Mne Nravitsya was right” avatar in advance.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Mne nravitsya posted:

Here’s my next prediction for the future <let me put on my Rasputin robes>

Where's the link to your blog you hack.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

Beer, I hope you're happy for starting this programming language recommendation chat in a loving nerd nest.

Absolutely.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Out of curiosity what was your takeaway report for your brother or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

May 2014 Chris: "So we're a server authoriative model, which helps, but we have limited client trust."

reddit PSA: "If the airlock doors at Olisar aren't working for you, delete your User folder"

Client trust. Not even once.