Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
At some point, I started letting the Sky Dragon live just because gently caress you Hylea. I'll even make it sound like it was your idea to give away your temple and shrug off all your worshipers dying. gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, there needs to be three or four times the number of portraits.

They need to photoshop every portrait to have a variety of skin and hair colour options damnit.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Iretep posted:

Plus a healthy murderhobo economy needs some dragons to live so theres something to kill. Dragons are endangered enough as it is!
Also I just realised what my problem PoE1s character creations is. In baldurs gate you just picked a portrait and thats what your dude looked like because the in game model looked like the same blob for everyone. But in poe1 you edit your dudes in game features and get a drawn portrait too. But the drawn portraits are incredibly limited especially for some races. Basically i cant handle the fact that my in game model has a cool mohawk but theres no mohawk portrait :negative:
Deadfire's almost definitely missing a lot of character assets that'll get added before release, but just generally speaking I'll never understand why or how this happens in any game at all. I'd expect that, at some point, the artists and animators involved would maybe communicate.

TheAnomaly posted:

OTOH, a lot of people like to fire and forget companions and focus on "their" character in RPGs, and passive abilities vs. active abilities means that you don't have to worry as much about them. I know that's a silly concept given the nature of a party based CRPG, but several of my friends play that way.
I don't have a problem with some characters requiring more micro than others. I play spellcasters in all RPGs, too.
My issue is that currently, micromanagement mostly comes down to clicking the same buttons every fight because you don't get a lot of abilities, there aren't many actives to choose from, and getting more actives than you need to fully utilize your resources is or at least quickly becomes a waste of ability points.
I mean, my Druid has a single level 2 spell right now and will never have more. My Fighters end up with two general use actives total because that's the minimum amount I can get while still spending all their Discipline points over the course of an encounter. There's just not a lot of room for tactics beyond target prioritization because there are only a few different things I can actually do.
Essentially, it's not that I don't get to click buttons enough, it's that I don't really get to make a decision about which buttons to click. (And if people want to be able to just do whatever without thinking about which abilities to use, that's what difficulty levels are for.)

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm currently trying to play as a Rogue that uses twohanders instead of the usual dualwielding that most guides seems to recommend. I just wonder what's the best weapontype to focus on ? Do the improved penetration score of an Estoc trump the higher base damage from a greatsword or is raw damage king in PoE?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm currently trying to play as a Rogue that uses twohanders instead of the usual dualwielding that most guides seems to recommend. I just wonder what's the best weapontype to focus on ? Do the improved penetration score of an Estoc trump the higher base damage from a greatsword or is raw damage king in PoE?

FIrst game or backer beta?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I can't imagine not using a custom portrait in these games. Luckily its easy to set up and a good excuse to flick through cool fantasy art.

Awful hard to find a lot of art for orlan portraits though

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Since he speaks of penetration values I assume the backer beta.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CVE posted:

Since he speaks of penetration values I assume the backer beta.

Yeah, but there aren't any backer beta guides and who in the backer beta would need a guide? Doesn't make sense.

More general answer:

In the first game raw damage is king but pretty much every weapon is good in different ways; you can think of each point of DR bypass as basically another point of damage per hit. Generally speaking the individual enchantments of each weapon are a bigger deal than the weapon type; find a particular unique weapon you like and then build/respec your character backwards to use that weapon is generally most effective.

In the backer beta everything's still getting sorted out and the answer is complicated but Estocs in particular have very poor DPS as a tradeoff for their very high penetration; it's a decent idea to use them but probably a better idea to combine a higher dps weapon with an armor piercing ability, or an even better idea to use both an Estoc and a Greatsword and change out depending on enemy armor.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 27, 2017

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

In the current build penetration is very important, but if you want to commit to two-handing then you could use your Estoc as a main weapon and then switch to a Greatsword (or ideally Pollaxe) when you run into enemies with crazy Pierce armor.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

In the current build penetration is very important, but if you want to commit to two-handing then you could use your Estoc as a main weapon and then switch to a Greatsword (or ideally Pollaxe) when you run into enemies with crazy Pierce armor.

No it should be the opposite, start with the high damage weapon then switch to the high penetration weapon when you need to.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In the first game the Greatsword is king because of Tidefall.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They need to photoshop every portrait to have a variety of skin and hair colour options damnit.

Maybe a shader so the hair can be coloured to whatever you choose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chiefnewo posted:

Maybe a shader so the hair can be coloured to whatever you choose.

Generalising it that far for more than just toon art and having it come out looking natural and not freakish is actually pretty hard. If they could do it, it'd be great, but...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MikeJF posted:

Generalising it that far for more than just toon art and having it come out looking natural and not freakish is actually pretty hard. If they could do it, it'd be great, but...

Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age made your portrait a zoom in of your face and you could adjust angles and that was it, only sometimes was it okay looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why the sweet merciful gently caress are my saves in PoE1 not sorted by most recent.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Why the sweet merciful gently caress are my saves in PoE1 not sorted by most recent.

What did you do, because mine are

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Mine certainly never have been. For one thing it's ordered so regular saves are at the bottom, so when I finish a session with one I have to scroll past every autosave and quicksave to get to it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
In the beta, what's the bonus for wielding a single one-handed weapon with no shield? I've read a few comments about wielding one sabre but I thought that was tied to a Talent.

In either game, is dual-wielding large one-handed weapons viable? I.E two sabres?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

They are; sort of. They're sorted by type first, with autosaves and quicksaves coming before manual saves, iirc.

Cheston posted:

In the beta, what's the bonus for wielding a single one-handed weapon with no shield? I've read a few comments about wielding one sabre but I thought that was tied to a Talent.

In either game, is dual-wielding large one-handed weapons viable? I.E two sabres?
Accuracy bonus. I can't remember how much it is, but it was decently substantial (+12?) from what I remember. In PoE1 it wasn't as worthwhile because of grazes and the glut of +acc bonuses from other sources. Also its associated talent sucks, which hurts a lot more in PoE1 than 2. I like the idea that you can use weapon styles without having to feel obligated to take the appropriate talent (because you can't).

Yes, in PoE1 especially it was the dominant damage-dealing strategy for awhile.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 27, 2017

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Intellect appears to have a significantly reduced effect on AoE size compared to PoE1 and I can't tell if it's intentional or not.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Octo1 posted:

Intellect appears to have a significantly reduced effect on AoE size compared to PoE1 and I can't tell if it's intentional or not.

I liked having my barbarian hit people behind them too though. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Octo1 posted:

In the first game intelllect was bugged and multiplied radius instead of area. I suspect they fixed that for this game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We fixed the effect of Int on AoE in one of the first patches for Pillars.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Durgan’s Battery was bloody hard, fun though.

Question: can the adra/copper thing that’s supposed to free a character from being forced to use the cursed sword be found in WM Part 1’s content? I don’t want you to tell me where the thing is, just whether it can be found before jumping into Part 2.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

snoremac posted:

Durgan’s Battery was bloody hard, fun though.

Question: can the adra/copper thing that’s supposed to free a character from being forced to use the cursed sword be found in WM Part 1’s content? I don’t want you to tell me where the thing is, just whether it can be found before jumping into Part 2.

Yeah It can be found before attempting Part 2. Small help without any location named in case you get tired of searching it's in a base game area not the White Marches.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

CVE posted:

Yeah It can be found before attempting Part 2. Small help without any location named in case you get tired of searching it's in a base game area not the White Marches.

Ah, that’s a good hint, was about to scour the March all over.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Int's definitely the god stat it PoE 1 for characters that benefit from it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Its pretty rare for a build not want to have at least a decent amount of int. Maybe some insanely min maxed rogue single target dps build.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Is there any actual reason to use a single one-handed weapon in PoE II? Because one-handed was just poo poo in PoE I unless we're talking late game durgan frenzy bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

We fixed the effect of Int on AoE in one of the first patches for Pillars.

Sorry! Now that you say that I think you've actually corrected me on that before -- I'm at about 60% function level today for [reasons].

Still the radius of powers generally just seems smaller than it did before. Maybe it's memory smoothing out different playthroughs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Eraflure posted:

Is there any actual reason to use a single one-handed weapon in PoE II? Because one-handed was just poo poo in PoE I unless we're talking late game durgan frenzy bullshit.

Does that include 1H + shield?

Asking since I'm playing PoE1 and I have a character using that.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Prism posted:

No they are talking about 1 Handed with nothing in the off hand. Shields are fine (well small shields are fine and maybe 1-2 medium shields if you want to play "optimally" but you easily get through with anything you want.) Don't worry to much about what gear you use if you aren't playing on POTD or hard when it's your first go around and enjoy the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Everyone trash talks shields in this thread but I like them. They're not the most optimal choice unless you're a Chanter or a build specced around them (like say a Barb who uses on-hit status effect shields) but they're still pretty useful. If you take the shield talents the deflection/reflex increases they give are not trivial at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eraflure posted:

I haven't done any math on it, but the higher accuracy seemed nice for reliable focus gain on the cipher, at least. Playing on hard, not PotD. And like I said last time, one reason it wasn't that useful in PoE1 was because there were plenty of other ways to increase accuracy and grazing reduced the impact of missing quite a bit. Now that missing is a lot more common, increasing accuracy is more useful. Also, crits increasing penetration is nice too.

e: CC was easier to land in PoE1 too, which indirectly buffed your accuracy too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 27, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ginette Reno posted:

Everyone trash talks shields in this thread but I like them. They're not the most optimal choice unless you're a Chanter or a build specced around them (like say a Barb who uses on-hit status effect shields) but they're still pretty useful. If you take the shield talents the deflection/reflex increases they give are not trivial at all.

I agree – especially in the early game when the means you have of mitigating incoming damage on your melee characters are much more limited.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do y'all allow non-tank characters to get hits/be in melee without increased reach?

I can't reliably put a rogue or whatever with a dagger in melee without him instantly getting targeted by a lot of dudes, even those in engagement with a high-might fighter or whatever.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

I meant the first game, sorry. Got the terms mixed around.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

when was the beta update planned?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sorry! Now that you say that I think you've actually corrected me on that before -- I'm at about 60% function level today for [reasons].

Still the radius of powers generally just seems smaller than it did before. Maybe it's memory smoothing out different playthroughs.
In Deadfire, I believe we're using three common AoEs, small/medium/large. Medium is smaller (IIRC) than our average size in Pillars 1 and we only use large rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

I agree – especially in the early game when the means you have of mitigating incoming damage on your melee characters are much more limited.

Yeah early game they're great. They made a big believer out of me the first time I tried them on potd. Gilded Vale etc was easier on my Barb shield tank than a lot of other builds I've tried.

jokes posted:

Do y'all allow non-tank characters to get hits/be in melee without increased reach?

I can't reliably put a rogue or whatever with a dagger in melee without him instantly getting targeted by a lot of dudes, even those in engagement with a high-might fighter or whatever.

If it's a class with increased squishiness like a Rogue then I try to flank with them or put them in situations where they will only get targeted by one or two guys at a time. If it's a conflict where I can't do that (like I dunno, Lagafeuth) then I rely on spells/CC to create those situations for myself.

• Locked thread