Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yesterday I tripped on uneven pavement while going to work and got a really bad scrape that bled through my leggings a bit. I put a bandage with a bunch of polysporin quite a few hours later, and everything seemed all cool today at work until it seeped so much it soaked through the bandage and through my leggings. Customer flow was steady enough and I was working by myself that I couldn't do anything about it for a couple of hours. On my break I took the bandage off and there was a bunch of thick yellow fluid all over everything. The first aid kit at work didn't have any polysporin or anything like it so I just put some gauze over it and taped it on.

The second half of the shift was insanely busy and I was still alone. Every time I walked I could feel the gauze tugging so I knew it got stuck to the scrape. Had to wait until I got home to deal with it. It took about 10 minutes to remove the gauze by wetting it with water and gently peeling it up. It's now airing out, it's gone dark, dark red and has redness in the skin around it that's three times as big as the scrape itself. It appears to be infected and whenever I have a scrape that goes ugly it turns into a keloid scar and I'm really mad about this right now. This scrape is 1" by 2.5" and if it scars it's going to be horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think electronics I own are specifically designed to only work when I'm at a sufficient annoyance level. My fitbit wouldn't sync up with my app, wouldn't do so on the computer due to an error (even after installing an update, getting the error, uninstalling and reinstalling the software), and just as I'm getting really pissed off, I find that the drat thing synced a second earlier.

I. just. want. things. to. work.

late edit: I lost about an hour of progress in a game (and a very helpful mobility upgrade) because I accidentally sequence broke a little bit. I figured it was auto-saving throughout. It was not.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Nov 27, 2017

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Found out the reason my aunt and uncle never acknowledged our wedding was bc aunt threw out the announcement and invitation we sent them without saying anything to my uncle. They wouldn't have been able to make it but it honestly stung that they hadn't even sent a card. Turns out my aunt is still really pissed about some financial drama unrelated to the wedding, she really is just as petty as her mother in law (my grandmother) could be. :sigh: But I do get to see my uncle in January and he said we'd celebrate then!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Yesterday, but we had to take my poor kitty to the vet. She seemed really off--hiding and lethargic--and then all of a sudden started bleeding like crazy from her face. Turns out she had an abscess that popped, so we rushed her to the vet where she had to undergo some minor surgery to have it drained and debrided. She has a little drainage tube in the wound now, and is obviously freaked out and in a lot of pain. We are giving her painkillers and antibiotics, but she struggles so much and is so freaked out. It's breaking my heart!!

Today she looked like she was starting to feel better, but after her nighttime meds she got a little agitated and started running around, whacking her little cone on a bunch of things, which just freaked her out even more. I am trying to comfort her, but I just seem to be making it worse! I'm pregnant, so I'm basically being a ridiculous emotional basketcase over my poor sick kitty, and I can't stop crying even though I know she's going to be fine.

Also, while I was at the vet yesterday trying to deal with everything, my husband called to tell me that our brand new $2000+ stove that we literally just bought (still in the packaging, even) had a giant crack in the glass. It was supposed to be installed today (we had new counters put in), but of course now we have to wait for Lowes to exchange it. We've been without a functional kitchen for two months now and I was really looking forward to being able to cook again!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are no houses in my city that are a reasonable price.

Seriously. There is nothing under half a mil that isn't a rat nest of used needles.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I am writing a paper on a dead priest, and managed to find three books that are at all useful on telling me about him, and got them from the uni library. I got the books a week and change ago, and was supposed to have them for a month. Two got recalled, and now I need to get them back in three days. I managed to find another copy of one of them, but I need the other, so I am just going to keep it until I am done. But I gotta eat a 2 dollar late charge a day, 20 dollars altogether, and it pisses me off.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

genetic_knockout posted:

Also, while I was at the vet yesterday trying to deal with everything, my husband called to tell me that our brand new $2000+ stove that we literally just bought (still in the packaging, even) had a giant crack in the glass. It was supposed to be installed today (we had new counters put in), but of course now we have to wait for Lowes to exchange it. We've been without a functional kitchen for two months now and I was really looking forward to being able to cook again!

It took Lowes four times to deliver the correct washer and dryer to our house without any damages to either of the machines. Granted, they offered us a dented/scratched ones, but COME ON.

And then we ordered our new dishwasher from the same store and distro and got it right and installed the first time. :iiam:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I have finally accepted that the chick I've been seeing casually for two years is in fact a completely self absorbed "woe is me" idiot. I should have taken the hint when her father casually mentioned "she's hard to live with sometimes" within a couple of days of meeting him. Its a shame because the best behavior mask she's been wearing made me really happy.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm in the middle of my mother and girlfriend feuding and it is a terrible position to be in.
It especially doesn't help that we currently live WITH my mother. So i have to find a new job as well as a new living place before it further implodes. I'm not giving up either person.
I don't know how poo poo got to be so bad.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Spent 3 hours ferrying my grandmother home, got back to eat very briefly before going to pick up my dad from hospital. In that space of time a van of Eastern European builders managed to reverse and rear end my car (which was parked appropriately and not near them) and they drove off without leaving a note. Fortunately some OTHER builders across the road witnessed them doing it. So then I had to drive to the hospital anyway which is about an hour there and back vaguely anxious about my hosed up rear end, and then the journey back was torturous because of god knows what and it took like 2.5 hours by which time it was dark and I missed the entire day. Also I'm finding driving people marginally stressful because I just started driving again recently after having passed my test like 3 years ago.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So last week I attempted to get some financial support for looking after my sister - the Alberta govt. has a caregiver's stipend available. Except since I'm her brother, I'm not eligible. It's only parent/child relationships that they cover. They called me back 20 minutes after the meeting to tell me not to bother with the paperwork as I wasn't eligible, and by the way, here's a list of temp agencies, good luck! Pretty much the most polite "get hosed" I've ever received.
Being a white male means no support from the govt, and it sucks rear end.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

TwystNeko posted:

:luckyducky: First Nations! Gettin' all that free mercury saturated land!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TwystNeko posted:

So last week I attempted to get some financial support for looking after my sister - the Alberta govt. has a caregiver's stipend available. Except since I'm her brother, I'm not eligible. It's only parent/child relationships that they cover. They called me back 20 minutes after the meeting to tell me not to bother with the paperwork as I wasn't eligible, and by the way, here's a list of temp agencies, good luck! Pretty much the most polite "get hosed" I've ever received.

I mean, situation sucks, but lol at that last bit.

"I was not eligible for a program based on my relationship to someone, and I probably should have been. drat non-whites and women must have it so easy!"

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Nov 29, 2017

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Actually, I've had some serious discussions about it - there is honestly a lack of programs and support for men - in this city at least. I guess it sounds sexist and racist or whatever, but it wasn't really meant that way. My bad, it was a lovely way to put it. There is far more support for women and minorities, in social programs and funding. I've never thought that funding for those groups should be removed, but I do think there needs to be more for men in distress.

As for the parental relationship - I'm certain I'm not the only brother who looks after a sibling, and it's a shortcoming of the legislation that they follow. I do 90% of what a caregiver would - I don't bathe her, dress her, or spoon-feed her - so why am I not eligible for the same funding someone supporting their mother is? It's incredibly frustrating. I do all the cooking, cleaning, driving, pay all the bills, get her to the ER when she has a serious episode, and so forth.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TwystNeko posted:

Actually, I've had some serious discussions about it - there is honestly a lack of programs and support for men - in this city at least. I guess it sounds sexist and racist or whatever, but it wasn't really meant that way. My bad, it was a lovely way to put it. There is far more support for women and minorities, in social programs and funding. I've never thought that funding for those groups should be removed, but I do think there needs to be more for men in distress.

As for the parental relationship - I'm certain I'm not the only brother who looks after a sibling, and it's a shortcoming of the legislation that they follow. I do 90% of what a caregiver would - I don't bathe her, dress her, or spoon-feed her - so why am I not eligible for the same funding someone supporting their mother is? It's incredibly frustrating. I do all the cooking, cleaning, driving, pay all the bills, get her to the ER when she has a serious episode, and so forth.

Alright, yeah, I can work with that. The weird ingrained idea that men should be able to handle everything is definitely a problem, and it sounds like you really deserve the support and got hosed by the way things are set up. There should also be more support across the board and in general, because that poo poo is always underfunded even in the best cases, but that's a digression. Used to that sort of language being some rear end in a top hat whining about how white men are the worst off in society, and everyone else being freeloaders, and such.

Also, sounds like you are doing a good thing. You're a good guy, taking care of her. Sorry for jumping down your throat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Debated posting this in FWP, but it's more of a complaint:

This dude next to me at the bar just gave me a three minute screed about why I shouldn't ask someone you don't know (aka him) to watch their phone (like, mine) for a second because it's incredibly rude and he was just about to leave and why I couldn't just put my phone in my pocket instead of :words: :words: :words:

Man, I thought I lost my car keys, was in a "I just lost my loving keys" mode, and needed to walk two feet to see if they were on a table I was at. You're under the eyes of a bartender, and the phone was plugged in underneath their side of the bar.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Debated posting this in FWP, but it's more of a complaint:

This dude next to me at the bar just gave me a three minute screed about why I shouldn't ask someone you don't know (aka him) to watch their phone (like, mine) for a second because it's incredibly rude and he was just about to leave and why I couldn't just put my phone in my pocket instead of :words: :words: :words:

Man, I thought I lost my car keys, was in a "I just lost my loving keys" mode, and needed to walk two feet to see if they were on a table I was at. You're under the eyes of a bartender, and the phone was plugged in underneath their side of the bar.

if it's plugged in on the other side of the bar under the eyes of the bartender why did you ask the guy to watch your phone

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

if it's plugged in on the other side of the bar under the eyes of the bartender why did you ask the guy to watch your phone

Force of habit and mildly panicking over potentially losing my keys.

I wasn't looking for a personal commitment from the guy, just an eyeball for a drat moment. Especially since the guy spent more time there than I ultimately did.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

MisterBibs posted:

I wasn't looking for a personal commitment from the guy, just an eyeball for a drat moment. Especially since the guy spent more time there than I ultimately did.

you should slow down and make mental notes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You're right he shouldn't have taken your time for that long

a simple "nah" would have sufficed

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Pentaghastly posted:

I left my stupid car unlocked on accident last night and of course someone steals out of it, the ONE TIME I forget. I'm not even mad that they stole my old GPS, its hilarious because not only am i imagining them rummaging through all the papers and old ketchup packets in my glove compartment desperately trying to find anything of value they can take, but they forgot to take the loving charger for it

Hope it was worth it. I feel kinda violated my car is like an extension of my living space :(

This happened to me once, and I get where you're coming from. I had a lovely old 30-year-old car that I had left one of the windows cracked. They only got an old first-gen iPod that wouldn't even work, but the fact that they had rifled through everything and moved my seat around was really unnerving.

Today I found out that of the two coworkers I actually like at work, one just put in her notice. Our workplace is so toxic that she didn't even bother finding a new job. She said she's concerned about the other one I like, he mutters to himself all day and has stomach ulcers from stress. poo poo's about to hit the fan and I don't think anyone's going to like what happens next.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The GOP tax bill.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

queserasera posted:

It took Lowes four times to deliver the correct washer and dryer to our house without any damages to either of the machines. Granted, they offered us a dented/scratched ones, but COME ON.

And then we ordered our new dishwasher from the same store and distro and got it right and installed the first time. :iiam:

You were right! We got our new stove, installed it, then went to use it for the first time and one of the burners doesn't work. Sigh. Round 2 with Lowes!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

queserasera posted:

The GOP tax bill.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The GOP tax bill is good news for all of us! Once we're all super duper rich it'll help us too! Come on guys! If we work hard enough and try hard enough we can get there!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Checked myself into the hospital because I had a horrible panic attack and I feel like a total dumbass. It wasn't necessary at all. Then I had another one IN the hospital cause they said they might want to keep me there cause my heart rate was a little elevated so they had to give me Ativan and Valium. I just feel really, really stupid for going to an ER for a loving panic attack. I also spent $30 on uber to get there because the hospitals around me are loving terrible, so I have to go to the suburbs to go to a good hospital, and I don't have a job so I shouldn't be spending ANY money. But I HAD to use uber because an ambulance will only take me to the horrible crackhead-filled hospital with TERRIBLE doctors that's down the street from me. I asked the EMTs once if they could take me to a different one.but they say protocol says no. Plus now I'm going to get thousands of dollars of doctors bills, hooray!

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I got electrocuted by pulling out a cord from an outlet--one of those "safe" ones with the safety trip switches or whatever. The plug was like 2" away from the outlet and it arced. Got a nice shock. My arm and hand are still numb and this was 3 hours ago. Whoever installed and/or repaired the lovely wiring in my building, thanks, I could have died! :thumbsup:

Update: got a nice electrical burn, it's just forming now. Yay.

Update 2: I thought maybe it was just the item so I just 1/2 hour ago plugged in a different item, used it, then pulled it and BAM! Giant blue spark! :iceburn: luckily this time it was one of those big rear end 3 pronged adapters so I didn't get shocked but maaaan.

My blister is pouring out liquid nicely, and my hand and arm feel mostly normal now.

Gonna contact some people ASAP.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Dec 6, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I absolutely despise one of my profs. Only one more class but he refuses to let our group hook up our own laptop to the projector to do a presentation. The only reason why is "I don't like it". Who gives a gently caress, we're the ones operating it. He doesn't have to touch it at all. He also talks super condescending all the time. I can't wait until this is finally over.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

I got electrocuted by pulling out a cord from an outlet--one of those "safe" ones with the safety trip switches or whatever. The plug was like 2" away from the outlet and it arced. Got a nice shock. My arm and hand are still numb and this was 3 hours ago. Whoever installed and/or repaired the lovely wiring in my building, thanks, I could have died! :thumbsup
I hope you went to the hospital. A bad electric shock like that can have effects that aren't immediately apparent.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Mild Fibrillation can really sneak up on people, yeah. There's probably burns there, too.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Eh it's been almost 15 hours and I'm still alive. I do have 2 little burns on the side of my finger but they're not significant. Plus like I said in a previous post the hospital nearby sucks and I don't have another $30 to spend on uber, AND I was at the good ER yesterday and had to get a bunch of anti-anxiety meds so they'd REALLY think I was a drug seeker. They'd just give me a bandaid cause I'm in the ER relatively often for various reasons so they very likely don't believe me about anything anyways. Also $$$, :911: , etc. In any case, if I die, I'll leave an ugly corpse :rip:

Oh and there's no way to shut off that outlet because of said lovely wiring. I can't remember exactly what it is but it's something ridiculous like the stove is connected to the a/c outlet and one of the two outlets in a bedroom is connected to the fridge outlet. One, not both. Also, asbestos wire insulation. Good old asbestos. OOOh and one of the circuit breakers is so hard to move to shut it off that one time I had to call a maintenance guy to do it, and even he had trouble moving the thing. Someone also drilled a hole in one of them where it shouldn't be.

Living in a death trap. Good times.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 09:53 on Dec 6, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Burns can take up to 72 hours to fully express. If you've got a blister, look forward to more damage to show up.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

there's a guy at my job who's working himself to death to build a content filtering service which, if working perfectly, lets people search for 'human being', 'master race', '1488' etc, but blocks things like 'Jew', 'Pakistan', 'Ummah' (the Arabic word for 'community'), 'women'.

christ

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Turns out the fire extinguisher on my floor is LOCKED IN A BOX WITH A KEY. So if my wonderful electrocutioning socket sets on fire I'll have to wait like 15 or more minutes until some maintenance guy comes with a key. If they even have one. And knowing them they'd just call 911, AFTER me calling the front desk, which would take even longer. If I had access to the thing the fire would be out. E: yes I can call 911 myself but the front desk people are going to be difficult with the firemen, and they'd call me to confirm or some poo poo.

E: I guess I can smash the glass open, unless it's some special glass that you can't break, like a car windshield. Plus there's the risk of hitting the extinguisher.

Ugh I know how to use one and I currently and very mad at my old rear end garbage building. They shut off the water for TWELVE HOURS to fix some pipes. I know it's necessary to replace them because they are super old but it was a very smelly inconvenience (toilet no work).

E3: omg fire extinguishers are so expensive. Guess I'll just die once again :rip:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Dec 7, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I hate people. My coworker who works next to me is the dumbest human being I have ever met. No, actually, this is not my lone opinion, several now former co-workers also agree. Also, I am sick as gently caress, but completely broke, so I am at work regardless.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

LOCKED IN A BOX WITH A KEY

As far as I know, that's a straight-up firecode violation and you should ah hell who am I kidding your company doesn't give a poo poo and neither does the local municipality that probably relies on them for the lion share of their tax base.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's also a violation of OSHA's regulations re: extinguishers. contact them and make your landlord their problem

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I've seen a lot of extinguishers in locked glass cases but also have giant text that reads to break it in case of fire. It keeps people from stealing them or setting them off for fun.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

I've seen a lot of extinguishers in locked glass cases but also have giant text that reads to break it in case of fire. It keeps people from stealing them or setting them off for fun.

There's no sign saying "break in case of fire." I wouldn't be surprised if the glass doesn't even break or it's actually plastic or something.

ryonguy posted:

As far as I know, that's a straight-up firecode violation and you should ah hell who am I kidding your company doesn't give a poo poo and neither does the local municipality that probably relies on them for the lion share of their tax base.

The city I live in is notorious for politicians being crooks and being super sketchy so it doesn't surprise me.

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's also a violation of OSHA's regulations re: extinguishers. contact them and make your landlord their problem

Hmmm good idea. I'll look into that.

I'm 99.9% sure the extinguisher has just been attached to the wall for ever and this is a super new thing. It's a nice building so they shouldn't be worried about loving fire extinguisher theft.
E: was googling locked fire extinguisher cabinets and the one in my building doesn't look like any of the ones online. It's probably just some random Home Depot shelf.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I do want to mention that my apartment is clean as hell and the stairwell is 5 feet from my door so I can escape within seconds of something DOES happen, and I also have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in all rooms. So if anything happens I can escape with ease. I am; however, going to get fire extinguishers installed in all the rooms.