Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, imagine Roberts doing Star Citizen 90210.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What a wonderful day.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

So many shills pointing out there's no advantage and completely sidestepping the fact that all the best plots are gonna be gone day one lol

No way man. Did you read the FAQ.

quote:

Will players claiming the “best” plots of land on day one be an issue?

No. Due to the billions of square kilometres of available land over many planets and moons and of course as new Star Systems are introduced and explored, all players will have the ability to find and claim new “hot spots” throughout the lifetime of the game.

Billions of square kilometers...See, taken care off.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I seriously love the "ITS JUST STUPID GOON FUD THERE NO LAND SALES ITS A LORE POST SHUT UP WITH THIS poo poo"

to

"yeah um well they will obviously make it fair and balanced and I believe in Chris Roberts and this is okay by me as long as it supports development"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I can't wait to basecamp and chainkill some carebear chump with what will be infinite exploits, and grief him until he cries so hard he swallows his tongue.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Now they can start selling stuff to put on the land and I'm calling some sort of housing unit concept jpeg available by xmas.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
please map it work exactly like SWG so I can watch people cry over and over again at their super bugged and expired harvesters

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

I seriously love the "ITS JUST STUPID GOON FUD THERE NO LAND SALES ITS A LORE POST SHUT UP WITH THIS poo poo"

to

"yeah um well they will obviously make it fair and balanced and I believe in Chris Roberts and this is okay by me as long as it supports development"

I'm working right now, someone get some good "then and now" screencaps lmao. I'm never letting this one die.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

Now they can start selling stuff to put on the land and I'm calling some sort of housing unit concept jpeg available by xmas.
yeah I think you'll start seeing BUILDING FARM A - C or SECURITY OUTPOST BUILDING A - D and a whole slew of random building poo poo before the end of next year

ship sales have been slouching, they need something new for the insane people to flip out over

although this might loving backfire in a huge goddamn way, only time will tell

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm working right now, someone get some good "then and now" screencaps lmao. I'm never letting this one die.

Mothman isn't going to eat the banana. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drunk Theory posted:

So… 4-5 Earths or so. :D

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thank you lord for all your blessings.

Crobbers reaches down and tears off his mask to reveal Derek Smart.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Every player will have a chance to claim a hotspot*

* Hotspot may or may not be anywhere near large settlements or other points of interest

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

* Hotspot may or may not be anywhere near large settlements or other points of interest

Every hotspot is a point of interest in the verse friend.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not taking a screenshot, but my new favorite narrative is

"its not land for sale its an explorers license to claim a stake of land and you still have to explore and take that land yourself"

like lol dude. just lol

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

This is a huge missed opportunity if they don't do it. Selling skull spikes -- i mean -- land beacons isn't tangible enough when the planets don't exist. If planets already existed in the game, they could salivate over the places they want to claim. But, if you can sell the housing or machinery that will occupy the land, that's where you get the spergs engaged again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
will those square plots be euclidean square or elliptic square?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
with how small the current moons are, less than like 4k people could occupy the whole fuckin thing

lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Only 16 in an instance.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just how the gently caress are they going to deal with this poo poo. even if they had a procgen seed it can't also handle a shitload of custom player crafted objects on the surface as well without taking up a ridiculous amount of HDD space

reminder you can see a fuckin flashlight from orbit, every player base is going to absolutely tank your framerate to sub fractions of a single digit

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

we need a new thread title, pronto

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know the biggest thing I worry about with these land sales.

How it's going to interact with the private servers?

lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
how many 4x4 km squares can they even fit on one of their tiny, tiny moons

will there be leftover triangles for cheap where the squares intersect?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
click here to claim land, m'lord

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Called it :smug:

Derek your move.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

we need a new thread title, pronto

Star Citizen: Extinction Landclaim Event

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

62,500 according to FDev thread maths.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

the programmers there must be sitting and drinking and wondering if they should just quit now or wait for their eventual burn out

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

TheAgent posted:

this thread is now proven, hands down, the best place for star citizen related information months or years in advance

This is the reason why I joined SA right here.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

TheAgent posted:

with how small the current moons are, less than like 4k people could occupy the whole fuckin thing

lol

300km diameter moon has the same surface area as 4,421 8x8km plots.

But it would be half that if they aren't placed edge to edge.

The whole moon would cost a total of $442,100. A bargain!

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 28, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Logicsol living up to his username.

quote:

They aren't selling land.
They are selling the claim title needed to legally place a claim beacon in the UEE. You still need to physically scout and file claim to use it.
Which also isn't needed outside of UEE space.
And even in UEE space, it doesn't prevent others from using the land, just makes it a crime to do so without permission.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Called it :smug:

Derek your move.

Why was he so adamant this wouldn't be a thing? Or does he just throw in the occasional devil's advocate argument to throw us off?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Shroud of the Citizen: It worked for Lord British right?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

They already showed these as the planetary bases and the $850 constructor. They'll backfill some of the construction to allow people to _generate the planetary content themselves_.

No Man's Sky actually pretty much forged a path for this, but it's a question if they can keep people away from the old concept of a 'campaign' and pretend that this is space engineers.

TheAgent posted:

although this might loving backfire in a huge goddamn way, only time will tell

Perceived value of the entire planetary surfaces vs actual cost. They're attempting to print money; weirdly we called this last year when we started down the speculation of the second life path. Y'know, with Linden Dollars, that raging success of proto-currencies that was going to tank other currencies.

Beet Wagon posted:

Congratulations, you got Slough.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tippis posted:

SYS 64192

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pantsbird posted:

300km diameter moon has the same surface area as 4,421 8x8km plots.

But it would be half that if they aren't placed edge to edge.

…also, it assumes that all of it can be claimed as opposed to filled with fidelitous procedurally generated locust-proof content.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I can't wait to play "Star and Away"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

that's if each one starts in the same quadrant and no one decides to place their beacon in a way that doesn't line up with other people. like so you place yours 3km away from the other guy, that land can't be staked by anyone because it's too small

that's also not counting POIs, or quest areas that are needed for like players to do things

the whole loving thing just won't work whatsoever without years of development time and 10s of millions and millions of dollars

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
WHAT A LOAD OF OLD BOLLOCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
So, will I be able to buy me an immersive space outbox?