Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I picked up Wolfenstein The New Order on sale (along with The Old Blood) and one thing I like: It brings back the old mocking Exit Game confirmation messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In SOMA, one of the monsters is naked and they modeled his donger. Thats one of my fav little (heh) things in games.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

In SOMA, one of the monsters is naked and they modeled his donger. Thats one of my fav little (heh) things in games.

More like oldshameless, am I right?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

oldpainless posted:

So what like a robo dong?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

So what like a robo dong?

No, it seems pretty organic

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oldpainless posted:

Good way to distract you and get you killed.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Agents are GO! posted:

I picked up Wolfenstein The New Order on sale (along with The Old Blood) and one thing I like: It brings back the old mocking Exit Game confirmation messages.

I picked up new order as well, and my favourite thing in the game is that after you take a break from shooting Nazis in the face by spending some time chainsawing a Nazi to death, you then get to go back to shooting Nazis in the loving face.

It's nice to see a game with such a clear moral imperative.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Breetai posted:

I picked up new order as well, and my favourite thing in the game is that after you take a break from shooting Nazis in the face by spending some time chainsawing a Nazi to death, you then get to go back to shooting Nazis in the loving face.

It's nice to see a game with such a clear moral imperative.

I agree, the game is quite clear on its feeling on Nazis and Oxygen, and how the former should stop using the latter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nier Automata ties together perhaps its goofiest sidequest and probably one of its most emotional bosses, and never directly says it. Although I will admit it's pretty obvious.

When you see her flashbacks in the second playthrough, Simone the insane beauty-obssessed machine tore herself up over being rejected by a machine that is very likely Jean-Paul, the 'philosopher' that sends you to reject suitors by proxy. They never say it for certain, and the silhouette is slightly unclear, but it's definitely him, you can tell by his hat.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Nier Automata ties together perhaps its goofiest sidequest and probably one of its most emotional bosses, and never directly says it. Although I will admit it's pretty obvious.

When you see her flashbacks in the second playthrough, Simone the insane beauty-obssessed machine tore herself up over being rejected by a machine that is very likely Jean-Paul, the 'philosopher' that sends you to reject suitors by proxy. They never say it for certain, and the silhouette is slightly unclear, but it's definitely him, you can tell by his hat.

Did you know that Simone's little body is still there in the core of the giant opera singer thing she built around herself? Look for the glowing eyes. It's such a loving cool boss, with an unusually fine boss soundtrack in a game rich with unusually fine boss soundtracks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

No, it seems pretty organic

That's just a buzzword to get you to pay more for it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Somfin posted:

Did you know that Simone's little body is still there in the core of the giant opera singer thing she built around herself? Look for the glowing eyes. It's such a loving cool boss, with an unusually fine boss soundtrack in a game rich with unusually fine boss soundtracks.

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised, because every machine design in the game is so insanely well thought-out in how it could connect with everything around it. Another favorite of mine are the flying serpents, which are made out of a combination of those extremely rare drill enemies and those weird floating round machines that I think are only present in Pascal's village.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

My favorite is Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War helpfully reminding you that COWARDS DIE IN SHAME when confirming that you want to quit.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My favorite is Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War helpfully reminding you that COWARDS DIE IN SHAME when confirming that you want to quit.

The old Doom-engine based Western-themed shooter Outlaws had a great one of these. As soon as you moved the cursor to Quit Game, it would play the chicken clucking sound effect. :haw:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HaB posted:

The old Doom-engine based Western-themed shooter Outlaws had a great one of these. As soon as you moved the cursor to Quit Game, it would play the chicken clucking sound effect. :haw:

MechWarrior 2's quit game dialogue box: "Confirm thy cowardice?"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Another thing about Wolfenstein is that it handles massive tonal shift phenomenally well. One minute I'm in a Nazi concentration camp with prisoners being traumatized by their treatment and marveling at the horrors of it all, and then 10 minutes later I'm driving a totally bitchin' 'Mech suit around firing missiles at other 'Mech suits, and the transition was seamless.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HaB posted:

The old Doom-engine based Western-themed shooter Outlaws had a great one of these.

Jedi engine :eng101: It was a Lucasarts game, they had their own tech.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Breetai posted:

Another thing about Wolfenstein is that it handles massive tonal shift phenomenally well. One minute I'm in a Nazi concentration camp with prisoners being traumatized by their treatment and marveling at the horrors of it all, and then 10 minutes later I'm driving a totally bitchin' 'Mech suit around firing missiles at other 'Mech suits, and the transition was seamless.

Yeah, it's been a long goddamn time since I've cared about NPCs in an FPS. MAX! HASS! :smith:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Agents are GO! posted:

I agree, the game is quite clear on its feeling on Nazis and Oxygen, and how the former should stop using the latter.

But on the other hand, in Nazi world we got Wolfensteinstone 3D in 1961. Space travel is one thing but modern videogames having a 30 year head start is a pretty compelling argument...

Breetai posted:

I'm still playing through New Colossus but it continues that tradition in a wonderful way where you have a level that is free of combat dedicated to BJ wandering around the farm he grew up in and reminiscing about his abusive father and traumatic childhood in a personal and heartfelt way completely devoid of genre trappings and then within a minute you're dangling from a flying fortress blasting robots and supersoldiers while dodging lasers and hacking apart giant mechanical claws with a hatchet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Mann posted:

But on the other hand, in Nazi world we got Wolfensteinstone 3D in 1961. Space travel is one thing but modern videogames having a 30 year head start is a pretty compelling argument...

I'm still playing through New Colossus but it continues that tradition in a wonderful way where you have a level that is free of combat dedicated to BJ wandering around the farm he grew up in and reminiscing about his abusive father and traumatic childhood in a personal and heartfelt way completely devoid of genre trappings and then within a minute you're dangling from a flying fortress blasting robots and supersoldiers while dodging lasers and hacking apart giant mechanical claws with a hatchet.

Don't forget the absolutely cathartic moment of letting the player brutally murder BJ's rear end in a top hat father with a hatchet rather than it just being part of the cutscene.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

More Da'at Yichud technology no doubt.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the absolutely cathartic moment of letting the player brutally murder BJ's rear end in a top hat father with a hatchet rather than it just being part of the cutscene.

Seriously this brought the biggest smile to my face. I loved that the game also opened hard, even coming from TNO. I really wasn't expecting to start a game about rampant Nazi killin' with BJ's dad ranting about his kid hanging out with "some friend of the family" and forcing him to shoot the family dog.

TNC has some jank to it and the pacing is a little strange at times, but the writing is absolutely 100% on point.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's seriously incredible that given how many (terrible) indie games about the subject have been made one of the best portrayals of an abusive parent is in a Nazi killing FPS and it does it in like two scenes. Him being a bigot and physically abusive was expected but the final confrontation with him where all he does is talk about how terrible and broken you are while rationalizing and deflecting his own failures and poor choices as being your fault was textbook abuser behavior. Either somebody at Machinegames was drawing on personal experience or they really did their homework.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Mann posted:

It's seriously incredible that given how many (terrible) indie games about the subject have been made one of the best portrayals of an abusive parent is in a Nazi killing FPS and it does it in like two scenes. Him being a bigot and physically abusive was expected but the final confrontation with him where all he does is talk about how terrible and broken you are while rationalizing and deflecting his own failures and poor choices as being your fault was textbook abuser behavior. Either somebody at Machinegames was drawing on personal experience or they really did their homework.

I mean if it's textbook behavior they probably just got it from a textbook

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Guy Mann posted:

Him being a bigot and physically abusive was expected but the final confrontation with him where all he does is talk about how terrible and broken you are while rationalizing and deflecting his own failures and poor choices as being your fault was textbook abuser behavior. Either somebody at Machinegames was drawing on personal experience or they really did their homework.

Calaveron posted:

I mean if it's textbook behavior they probably just got it from a textbook

I dunno, it's not like a gaming nerd/computer toucher wouldn't have at least some personal experience with being a disappointment to their father.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Interesting thing about SOMA is that they've stated for its release on the Xbone they're fixing what was my biggest problem in the game. Namely they're adding in a mode where the monsters don't actually attack you. The monsters will still be around but they will avoid you if you move toward them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've noticed an interesting thing in Pandora's Tower - the second half of the game almost mirrors the first, each elemental tower has stuff in common with it's counterpart:

The first tower is a straightforward climb up a tower, with the odd detour when the stairs are damaged. The 6th tower is similarly basic, but with more platforming to do as the tower is more hazardous. Their bosses are relatively straightforward - the boss of tower one is basically a tutorial, with his Master Flesh right there on his forehead, impossible to miss. The 6th boss has her flesh similarly placed, but now you have to hit her to release it, and she can recover her armour in the light. These are the Light and Dark aspects of the Wood element.

The 2nd tower is a mess, with you having to navigate the outside via a series of lifts as the interior is ruined beyond any real structure. The 7th tower is even craggier, with more complex platforming puzzles, really putting your mastery of the chain to the test. The obstacles are still the same though, climbing walls and elevators. The bosses similarly mirror, with a weak point on a hard to reach part of their body. The second boss simply has his on his back, but keeps trying to break your grip by spawning statues that constantly get in your way - he is much more defensive than the first boss. The 7th boss is a pain to hit, because first you need to reach her back to grapple her weakpoint, and she shakes you off way more effectively by climbing the room. These are the Light and Dark aspects of the Earth Element.

the next ones to compare I've done, as I haven't done the remaining two towers to compare them yet, are the Water Towers - both require navigating moving waterwheels and climbing inverted waterfalls, but the waterwheel in the 8th tower must be paid attention to as you need to position it carefully to progress instead of just turning it on and ignoring it. The waterfalls are also faster and more erratic in their pattern. The bosses for these two towers are also related - both are large balls of matter with a weakspot that moves, however the first one has a simple track to watch so you can see where the point will end up, although every other part of the boss will be attacking you as you attempt to latch on. The 8th boss starts with armour attached to her mass so you cannot see where the weak point is, and she's more erratic, just pulling it back in and hiding it behind a random bit of remaining armour. Also every part of her that you reveal begins attacking you, so by the end of an unlucky round you can have 4 tentacles flailing at you, and three water cannons firing at any one time becoming a total clusterfuck. These are the Light and Dark aspects of the Water Element.

I thought that was neat and look forward to seeing if the Dark aspects of the Fire and Metal elements match as neatly to their puzzles and bosses.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bound (currently free on PSPlus) is not a very good game: it's essentially a pretty tech demo with repetitive gameplay and a cliche indie game narrative.
HOWEVER

It has an incredible photography mode:

This (and Hellblade and Mario Odyssey) make realise I'd probably enjoy a straight up photography game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think I'm fairly okay with the major selling point of a game being how good it looks .

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Bound (currently free on PSPlus) is not a very good game: it's essentially a pretty tech demo with repetitive gameplay and a cliche indie game narrative.
HOWEVER

This (and Hellblade and Mario Odyssey) make realise I'd probably enjoy a straight up photography game.

Pokemon Snap already exists though?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Biplane posted:

Pokemon Snap already exists though?

Imagine if the Switch-Pokemon game is literally just Pokemon Snap 2.

Thread related: I have a severe problem when it comes to games (or as the case may be, mods) that let you collect an inordinate amount of trinkets. Such as Legacy of the Dragonborn for Skyrim, which adds in a whopping amount of relics and weapons and quests, and a museum that you are tasked to fill out.

And said museum has basically a slot for every notable item in the game. The Horn of Jurgen Whatshisname from the main quest? Poison to kill some rats in the Thieves Guild questline? The Wabbajack? All has a spot in the museum. And not only that, but the developer went a step further and added in support for major quest mods like the Wheels of Lull, or Wyrmstooth, or that one Moonpath to Elsweyr mod.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Interesting thing about SOMA is that they've stated for its release on the Xbone they're fixing what was my biggest problem in the game. Namely they're adding in a mode where the monsters don't actually attack you. The monsters will still be around but they will avoid you if you move toward them.

Do you know if they’re making any donger specific related changes?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jetamo posted:

Thread related: I have a severe problem when it comes to games (or as the case may be, mods) that let you collect an inordinate amount of trinkets. Such as Legacy of the Dragonborn for Skyrim, which adds in a whopping amount of relics and weapons and quests, and a museum that you are tasked to fill out.

And said museum has basically a slot for every notable item in the game. The Horn of Jurgen Whatshisname from the main quest? Poison to kill some rats in the Thieves Guild questline? The Wabbajack? All has a spot in the museum. And not only that, but the developer went a step further and added in support for major quest mods like the Wheels of Lull, or Wyrmstooth, or that one Moonpath to Elsweyr mod.

I kinda hope the Switch Pokemon game ditches the random in-grass encounters and just has wild Pokemon wandering around an open world like enemies in the Tales games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Jetamo posted:

This mod sounds like my personal hell.

In Bethesda games the NPCs react to when your character is naked. At least they did in Morrowind. Your naked character model always wears underwear but in Morrowind they also look like bad Virtua Fighter characters. So when all the npcs react with "Uuuugh. Spare me.", they're like holy poo poo these graphics are horrible.

I played morrowind recently and there's a graphics overhaul mod that's just a compilation of multiple mods including Better Bodies that make Morrowind look a bit better but also wildly inconsistent. The Better Bodies mod offers underwear version but defaults to naked so I've been trying it out and suddenly I see this ( :nws: for cat donger):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3nppR7-qY

So I guess that's a little thing in games.

EDIT:

oldpainless posted:

Um. Beaten?

Somebody has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vic posted:

In Bethesda games the NPCs react to when your character is naked. At least they did in Morrowind. Your naked character model always wears underwear but in Morrowind they also look like bad Virtua Fighter characters. So when all the npcs react with "Uuuugh. Spare me.", they're like holy poo poo these graphics are horrible.

Off memory: This exists in Morrowind and Skyrim, it skipped Oblivion and I don't think it's in any of the Fallouts.

In Morrowind it was technically more obvious because the Unarmored skill meant you could legitimately fight well while naked, which meant that dialog was also a great way of confirming you actually were. But the Unarmored skill didn't actually work, so...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn, because the photo mode in that game is incredible.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Mr. Flunchy posted:

HOWEVER

I dunno, it's pretty cool in VR and the main character animations are great.

It was short enough that the repetitive nature of the gameplay didn't bother me too much.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

A 4K remake of Afrika would probably be pretty cool.

Or go hog wild and make a sequel with the Planet Earth license.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Veib posted:

Or go hog wild and make a sequel with the Planet Earth license.

As good as that sounds, I think there's a rich vein just a little off that path that we can tap into with a different license.

Because Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata have shown me that right now, the gaming zeitgeist wants Life After People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Olive! posted:

Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn, because the photo mode in that game is incredible.

No I haven't - and it has now just been bumped up the list.

What are some other great photography modes in games? I was disappointed that Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't have one, seems perfect for it given how great Uncharted 4's was.