Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The best part of 2017 is that everyone realizes now that Arod > Jeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mcmagic posted:

Am I allowed to think that both of them are scummy assholes, or will that get me in trouble like when I liked Radiohead and Tool on the forums back in 2001/2002?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bret Boone's PR firm got a hold of his Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/theboone29?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Pancakes posted:

Am I allowed to think that both of them are scummy assholes, or will that get me in trouble like when I liked Radiohead and Tool on the forums back in 2001/2002?
How can you think badly of a man who has a painting of himself as a centaur?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

tbh I think most people who aren't Yankee fans or sportswriters already knew this

Pancakes posted:

Sure but why would you think such a silly thing?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/TheCUTCH22/status/936010908848893953
Going to be funny that he names his kid Steel and then gets shipped off to San Fran

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

And under the new Republican tax plan he couldn't even take any California state tax exemptions! :sad:

For real though as much as I love to watch Stanton javelin dogs, the cynic in me says that if he's not coming to my team then the best case scenario is for him to go to an aging and bad team full of expensive over the hill players so they can't even build around him, and forces him to play 81 games a year in the worst HR-hitting park in MLB. So please sign with the Giants, tia.

I have good news friend.

Like Barrold, no park can contain him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

For me, I personally thought A-Rod was exceptionally unlikable until it came out just how badly MLB and the Yankees were railroading him. All of that bullshit basically put me firmly in his corner forever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I have good news friend.

counterpoint:

According to this Statcast piece by completely unbiased MLB employee Mike Petriello, Dodger Stadium is the only one among those analized (LAD, SF, BOS, STL) that would have theoretically given Stanton more javelined dogs this year, not fewer.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

How likely is it Stanton opts out after 2020? Whether he's on the Marlins or another team. He'd be walking away from 7/$218. Thirty million dollars a year will probably still be among the highest salaries in baseball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

How likely is it Stanton opts out after 2020? Whether he's on the Marlins or another team. He'd be walking away from 7/$218. Thirty million dollars a year will probably still be among the highest salaries in baseball.

I mean maybe Harper really does get that record shattering 10/500 deal that sets a precedent for absurdly high AAV, Stanton continues to both stay health and play at an MVP caliber for the next 3 years, and he opts out for a better deal. My best guess is though he's not exercising it unless he's willing to throw away a significant sum of money to go somewhere else.

Still another excuse to add to the pile for GM's to lowball the Marlins on trade offers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I have good news friend.

I need somebody to do the math for Stanton at Yankee Stadium.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

bawfuls posted:

counterpoint:

According to this Statcast piece by completely unbiased MLB employee Mike Petriello, Dodger Stadium is the only one among those analized (LAD, SF, BOS, STL) that would have theoretically given Stanton more javelined dogs this year, not fewer.

Counter-counterpoint: According to Dan S. Stanton has the best career with the Giants.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Stanton will opt out if he remains healthy and continues to put up 6+ WAR each of the next three seasons.

So, how likely do you think that is?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If I was Stanton I would stick with the guaranteed $218m, but then I'm broke as gently caress and furious my parents didn't mold me into a baseball playing ubermensch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mlb.com posted:

MLB sources have confirmed to me that the Cubs have spent significant time and money in their pursuit of Ohtani. The club has sent multiple scouts to Japan for weeks at a time and they have watched him pitch and play the outfield and they believe he can indeed do both on the north side of Chicago.

A rival NL executive who has scouted Ohtani believes the Cubs will be on the short list of teams that have a realistic chance of signing him

:pray:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Predictable Ohtani short list:

Dodgers
Giants
Mariners
Cubs
Yankees

Some combination of big cities with Japanese populations, a track record of successful NPB->MLB transitions, mostly competitive now. Seattle and SF aren’t as good right now but have significant cultural factors that help.

This could all be completely wrong if it turns out Ohtani doesn’t care about winning now, or being in a big city, or has a strong preference for one league, etc.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:
OTANI BREAKING NON NEWS!

HEADLINE - Otani, secretly-visiting LA! Meets with secret US delegation.

Actual news - Otani secretly left japan last night, and arrived in LA were a car provided by his agent I would guess whisked him away. He has the Nippon Ham interpreter with him. The secret delegation is his agent, the Japanese media speculates he is having a preliminary medical check done by a agency doctor.

Posting is expected to start on 1st US time, and take a maximum of 21 days.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/baseball/news/2017/11/30/kiji/20171130s00001007064000c.html

https://twitter.com/nikkansports/status/936048520733253637

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 30, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Predictable Ohtani short list:

Dodgers
Giants
Mariners
Cubs
Yankees

Some combination of big cities with Japanese populations, a track record of successful NPB->MLB transitions, mostly competitive now. Seattle and SF aren’t as good right now but have significant cultural factors that help.

This could all be completely wrong if it turns out Ohtani doesn’t care about winning now, or being in a big city, or has a strong preference for one league, etc.

The Astros were the successful home of baseball superstar Kaz Matsui for a number of years and we have only one player who has made blatantly racist gestures towards a Japanese player.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

ScottyJSno posted:

OTANI BREAKING NON NEWS!

HEADLINE - Otani, secretly-visiting LA! Meets with secret US delegation.

Actual news - Otani secretly left japan last night, and arrived in LA were a car provided by his agent I would guess whisked him away. He has the Nippon Ham interpreter with him. The secret delegation is his agent, the Japanese media speculates he is having a preliminary medical check done by a agency doctor.

Posting is expected to start on 1st US time, and take a maximum of 21 days.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/baseball/news/2017/11/30/kiji/20171130s00001007064000c.html

https://twitter.com/nikkansports/status/936048520733253637

Appropos of nothing, if a super beefy Japanese player ever comes to the MLB, the Nippon Ham would be an awesome nickname.

e: bonus points if he's a catcher and squats down like a sumo wrestler every time he sets up

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 30, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I still love that for loving YEARS I thought they were the Ham Fighters of Nippon rather than the Fighters of Nippon Ham.

I guess that what happens when you’re an ignorant shithead!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Stanton's default state is collecting $295M on a team that is bad. So why does the threat of that continuing carry any weight with him?

"You can accept a trade to a different bad team that you don't want to go to, or you can stay here on the bad team you're familiar with and get paid the same"

That doesn't sound very convincing.

Well among other things, the Giants aren't run by cheap assholes who immediately decided to gut the payroll the second they came into ownership

Which is why no one wanted to play for the Astros either (apparently Andrew Miller turned down more years/money from Houston to go back to NY)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

Well, at least she isn't a Cubs fan? :shrug:

Update: She's now looked at the season schedule. The last weekend series is hosting the Cubs for a 3-game set. She's already assumed that the Cubs will have clinched by then, that the White Sox will be bad, that Cubs fans will be gloating and that she will "have to start some poo poo". :allears:

This is funnier given that she's 5'9" or 5'10" and 120 pounds.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

rickiep00h posted:

I still love that for loving YEARS I thought they were the Ham Fighters of Nippon rather than the Fighters of Nippon Ham.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense I guess

*hastily crumples up drawings of samurai warriors fighting giant deli meats*

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
AT&T SportsNet Southwest update: I still do not get AT&T SportsNet Southwest.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

good lord are the dodgers going to get Stanton and Ohtani? Because gently caress the Dodgers if thats the case

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pancakes posted:

Update: She's now looked at the season schedule. The last weekend series is hosting the Cubs for a 3-game set. She's already assumed that the Cubs will have clinched by then, that the White Sox will be bad, that Cubs fans will be gloating and that she will "have to start some poo poo". :allears:

This is funnier given that she's 5'9" or 5'10" and 120 pounds.

Alright, she's cool in my book.

gently caress the Cubs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I see the A's have done their annual 'sign a FA reliever for a reasonable contract and then try to flip him in July' move with the Yusmeiro Petit signing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Wow thanks for coming in and ruining this for the rest of us.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Wow thanks for coming in and ruining this for the rest of us.

I’m positive someone on some iteration of this thread killed the dream for me.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

someone on MLBN just said the Giants wanted to offer Beede, Panik, and Shaw in a trade for Stanton and Gordon, with the Giants taking on a bunch of money.

what.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Giants taking on all the money I think. Still a huge lol if the Marlins accept that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think I lied in the video when I said I wouldn't eat bananas again if Ohtani agreed to sign

:toxx: I WILL ONCE AGAIN TAKE UP THE BANANA CHALLENGE IF OHTANI IS AN ASTRO IN 2018

Or the pie. I'll let the thread choose

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

RE: Sexual Harassment Apologist Bret Boone: My money's on him falling off the wagon. I'm sure the lovely attitude and thoughts are all his, but it's probably alcohol that's lowering his inhibitions against sharing them.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Goodpancakes posted:

good lord are the dodgers going to get Stanton and Ohtani? Because gently caress the Dodgers if thats the case

whoa whoa whoa there buddy

gently caress the Dodgers in all cases

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Intruder posted:

I think I lied in the video when I said I wouldn't eat bananas again if Ohtani agreed to sign

:toxx: I WILL ONCE AGAIN TAKE UP THE BANANA CHALLENGE IF OHTANI IS AN ASTRO IN 2018

Or the pie. I'll let the thread choose

Otani doesn't deserve bananas. He needs Japanese super food Natto. Eat some of that. My breakfast of choice when I am on the go is rice and natto and raw egg. That my friend will turn most non-Japanese stomachs.

But seriously Tamago kaki Gohan is the bomb.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 30, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

RE: Sexual Harassment Apologist Bret Boone: My money's on him falling off the wagon. I'm sure the lovely attitude and thoughts are all his, but it's probably alcohol that's lowering his inhibitions against sharing them.

Weren't the messages sent at like 10 am? I mean , it's certainly possible he was drunk, but that seems a bit early to be "sending messages to random reporters to make light of harassment" drunk .

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 30, 2017

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Seems a bit early to be sending them sober too.

Let's split the difference and assume he was up all night drinking and just still drunk.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Mr. Fix It posted:

Reading his tweets today he was arguing with someone and said that Barry Bonds is the greatest of all time and should definitely be a hall of famer. That wasn't an opinion I'd expect out of him at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I know some certain douchy people where I would not be surprised if they were making comments like that in the early AM on Facebook or whatever , but I can agree with that conclusion

• Locked thread