Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Well, I'm clearly culturally deficient, because I thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGD3Ukb3Q0

Also, you can pretend this cat is a mountain king or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Star Citizen dies in 2019.

Calling. There’s calling going on!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They dont. That would be pretty unethical of them.

I'd bet it probably is kept separate, and a flat percentage of the monthly income gets handed straight to Sandi as a paycheck for being in the videos.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

The subscriptions are mainly used to fund community content, shows and events. They don't go towards the dev budget.

But you already knew that.

It’s like the gang is getting back together for one last jewel heist.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

The subscriptions are mainly used to fund community content, shows and events. They don't go towards the dev budget.

But you already knew that.

;) Yes of course they are 'only' used for that... ;)

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Hobold posted:

I'd bet it probably is kept separate, and a flat percentage of the monthly income gets handed straight to Sandi as a paycheck for being in the videos.

The backers will never know...

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Slow_Moe posted:

The backers will never know...

Exactly!

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

D_Smart posted:

So I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I may get scooped. So here it is...

3 dozen people gone from CIG/F42

More as this develops. Not going to create an article until I get additional info/clarification.

ps: I wrote about this months ago, and that YE 2017 was going to be it.

Link? I'll believe it when I see it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just as long as we're on the same page about which version is the proper version

1:43 even kind of works in this version.

Slow_Moe posted:

Well, I'm clearly culturally deficient, because I thought of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGD3Ukb3Q0

I'll allow it. The laugh at 1:43 is pretty good too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Awesome Fidelity posted:

Wasn't that Turbulent who dropped that number? Can you link me to the source? For archival purposes.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/15/star-citizen-has-the-financial-backing-of-500000-fans/

which leads to this

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4sifhi/interview_with_turbulent_and_some_backers_figures/

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

2019? Does this mean citizen con 2018 is a go? Hooray for the faithful!

If the dreams"fold" into S42 I will laugh myself to sleep at least once.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Hav posted:

SD breaks character once in awhile (Tho the nutsack post was pretty epic). Kikk never breaks character.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

he spent eight proud and furious hours smashing out that rebuttal

It's takes a while when you're a two-finger keyboard pecker...

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They dont. That would be pretty unethical of them.

Yeah, it would be, wouldn't it?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Raskolnikov posted:

2019? Does this mean citizen con 2018 is a go? Hooray for the faithful!

If the dreams"fold" into S42 I will laugh myself to sleep at least once.

My favorite ending is one where they claim everything has been delivered in some form rather than simply refunding what they must and bailing out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Oooh I never played that, I remember its predecessor Mercenary on the speccy. I just explored in that too, but watched a playthrough of it a while ago and was amazed just how thoughtful and original it actually was

Mercenary included a platform that you could fly to in orbit, then jump off.

I wonder where I've seen that recently.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

My favorite ending is one where they claim everything has been delivered in some form rather than simply refunding what they must and bailing out.

The stuffed toy is "dreams" of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Orions Lord posted:

I googled suppository at work.

No one, however smart, however well-educated, however experienced … is the suppository of all wisdom.

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

The stuffed toy is "dreams" of course.

Your beast stole my catchphrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKtZ_r0V6E

So Star Citizens are arguing that the game isn't P2W because there is nothing to do in it? After all, if there is something to do, you can succeed or fail at it. If you can pay to make success more likely, then the game is pay to win.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hav posted:

Mercenary included a platform that you could fly to in orbit, then jump off.

I wonder where I've seen that recently.
The third game starts off proper by dumping you with tons of cash onto a gambling planet, without a spaceship to get out.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

DrBall_MD posted:

Your beast stole my catchphrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKtZ_r0V6E

So Star Citizens are arguing that the game isn't P2W because there is nothing to do in it? After all, if there is something to do, you can succeed or fail at it. If you can pay to make success more likely, then the game is pay to win.

Pay-to-win will be when they implement a 15% restocking fee on your ships when you get a refund.

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Visually it reminds me of Damocles. I loved that game back in the day, used to spend ages just exploring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfIQfGo0Z4

I remember the idea of flying from planet to planet being enthralling, but the reality being "Oh - so here I am in another wireframe place much like the last one.".

It's a nice idea, but adds only tedious travel time to gameplay. How long will it take for landing and taking off to get old. Five times? Ten?

They were still great games for their time though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Golli posted:

I get it now.

CIG has cleverly hidden the ball on this.

A claim only gives you the right to purchase the land - so when you go to the Planetary City Hall to record the deed, they hit you with the Actual Price of the land, which you can cough up or risk having someone else buy it out from under your claim beacon.

What CIG has not said is whether or not all Actual Prices will be the same for a piece of land, and what sets the Actual Price (free market or the tax assessor). e: probably the tax assessor based on the contents of the land survey you have to provide at time of purchase.

(For comparison: see NFL's Personal Seat License, which is a fee season ticket holders have to pay in order to be able to buy actual tickets to the games.)

Still catching up but this might not be the case, based on the wording of the FAQ.

rsi intern posted:

A claim license entitles the holder to claim ownership of a small section of land on a planet, moon, or asteroid controlled by the UEE.

rsi intern posted:

Once a suitable section of land has been identified, a claim license may be executed at any UEE land management office in order to transfer ownership of the land from the UEE to the license holder.

While it doesn't explicitly state that there won't be an addition UEC fee for "executing" your claim license, it does heavily imply it. What I expect to have happen here is exactly what the entirety of reddit has been telling me won't happen for the last few days:

• The land claim system will go live as soon as it's actually functioning, leaving most people who didn't pay cash for a license scrambling to save the UEC to get one.
  • The UEC costs for land claims are (shockingly) going to be far far higher than 50,000 or whatever the equivalent is for the amount of USD for the concept sale
  • Backers who didn't pay cash for a plot are going to get hosed

The thing is, reddit has been tripping over itself to say "nah they're gonna make it fair" despite it being an explicitly unfair setup, and I think CIG's gonna go the other way with it. More mechanics are going to be introduced to incentivize backers to become 'land-owners' and more penalties or gates to doing so are going to be placed in the way of non-payers because of the "economy" or "UEE tightening regulations" or some such bullshit.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

Still catching up but this might not be the case, based on the wording of the FAQ.

While it doesn't explicitly state that there won't be an addition UEC fee for "executing" your claim license, it does heavily imply it. What I expect to have happen here is exactly what the entirety of reddit has been telling me won't happen for the last few days:

• The land claim system will go live as soon as it's actually functioning, leaving most people who didn't pay cash for a license scrambling to save the UEC to get one.
  • The UEC costs for land claims are (shockingly) going to be far far higher than 50,000 or whatever the equivalent is for the amount of USD for the concept sale

The thing is, reddit has been tripping over itself to say "nah they're gonna make it fair" despite it being an explicitly unfair setup, and I think CIG's gonna go the other way with it. More mechanics are going to be introduced to incentivize backers to become 'land-owners' and more penalties or gates to doing so are going to be placed in the way of non-payers because of the "economy" or "UEE tightening regulations" or some such bullshit.

Sandi says "thank you for the money making ideas, guun, but I already thought of them years ago when I was a little girl"

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

DrBall_MD posted:

I remember the idea of flying from planet to planet being enthralling, but the reality being "Oh - so here I am in another wireframe place much like the last one.".

It's a nice idea, but adds only tedious travel time to gameplay. How long will it take for landing and taking off to get old. Five times? Ten?

They were still great games for their time though.

I think this might be a laugh for an hour or two.
Someone has done a PC clone
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Codezombie posted:

Recalculate normals, yeah. Normally it's an ok function to use, but not when your are generating 1024 > 4096 12k(ish) poly meshes at one go.
(The import normal calculation is of no use in this particular case, as all the city tiles are being procedurally generated off a seed.)
Especially when you can figure out the normals and tangents by hand because pretty much everything is axis aligned.
I only used the Unity function just to check everything was working , but it's coming up pretty high in the profiler now, so it's gotta go.

Are you using coroutines to generate the tiles/assets? Keeping things off the main thread could help.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Looking at it from the perspective of how will CIG get more money-

Not all land is of equal value. Buying a claim gets you a claim stick and a license to buy a piece of land (transferring ownership from UEE to the licenseholder).

So if you survey a piece of land that is far away from anything interesting and mineral-poor, when you buy the land you pay a lower transfer fee.
If you survey a piece of land that is mineral-rich and/or close to UEE security stations, you will pay a MUCH higher transfer fee.

In both cases, the claim license purchase price is just the entry fee. For $100 you get the opportunity to pay up to 4x as much in transfer fees as you would for an equivalent $50 claim license. So the bargain really isn't a bargain.

Bonus: There is an element of taking advantage of the sunk-cost fallacy here. When you go through the trouble of surveying and deciding to purchase a particular piece of land, you are already so emotionally invested that if you lack UEC to pay the transfer fee when you go register - it's just a quick trip to the cash shop to top off your account.

Golli fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 30, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Was this not the obvious thing? Like there's literally no reason to buy land right now. All the "value" of land relies on systems that aren't implemented (and probably not even started) yet.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
SELLING NEW SUPER MINING SHIP WITH MINERAL RADAR THAT GOES A MILE DEEPER THAN ANY OTHER SHIP COMES WITH FREE CLAIM BEACON

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Golli posted:

Not all land is of equal value. Buying a claim gets you a claim stick and a license to buy a piece of land (transferring ownership from UEE to the licenseholder).

So if you survey a piece of land that is far away from anything interesting and mineral-poor, when you buy the land you pay a lower transfer fee.
If you survey a piece of land that is mineral-rich and/or close to UEE security stations, you will pay a MUCH higher transfer fee.

In both cases, the claim license purchase price is just the entry fee. For $100 you get the opportunity to pay up to 4x as much in transfer fees as you would for an equivalent $50 claim license. So the bargain really isn't a bargain.

Bonus: There is an element of taking advantage of the sunk-cost fallacy here. When you go through the trouble of surveying and deciding to purchase a particular piece of land, you are already so emotionally invested that if you lack UEC to pay the transfer fee when you go register - it's just a quick trip to the cash shop to top off your account.
Buy now before it's gone! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity space commando! Being this close to the spaceport means this land will pay for itself in a matter of months!

(If SC came out as a game, the cash shop driven land grab would be epic enough to make Sandi blush.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

At the moment, you can also not see someone else's chariot even if it is there for the other person.

At the moment, you can take 5 steps after you wake up in your wank pod and die from the door.

At the moment, you can hyper jump using your naked commando's nipple jets.

This land sale is glorious and exactly what Star Citizen needs right now.

Wait, you can go into that quantum travel thingy without even pretending to be a ship? :allears:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Latin Pheonix posted:

The reason is clear as day in that tweet. Take a look at his follow-up where he shows number of new backers; it's gone off a cliff. CIG is becoming more and more dependent on whales but that won't last forever.

They're having a fire sale liquidating their biggest ships. The only money going in this sale is, imo, the last of the appreciable whale money. And all that's assuming their funding tracker isn't injected with funny money grâce à Coutts & Co.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

More mechanics are going to be introduced to incentivize backers to become 'land-owners' and more penalties or gates to doing so are going to be placed in the way of non-payers because of the "economy" or "UEE tightening regulations" or some such bullshit.

You're putting a lot more thought into this than CIG has, I think.

CIG's entire thought process at this point seems to be:

1) Chris sees an interesting new movie, tech, or idea he'd like to incorporate (reality tv contest, blade runner, alien covenant, star wars, face over ip, twitch streaming, dune, procedural generation, discord, radiant AI, grabby hands, whatever)
2) Chris immediately dreams up a dozen new features for Star Citizen. Orders developers to begin work immediately, jumps in front of a camera and promises that the new thing is almost ready and has secretly been planned for years.
3) Later, Chris sits down and actually figures out if the thing is worth any money- how can we sell it as a spaceship? (News van! Dropship! Big game hunter ship! Land construction ship! Mining ship! Space bike!)
4) If he comes up blank on #3 it disappears. Most everything dies at this point having wasted countless hours.
5) Otherwise, it eventually plops out with a stupid spaceship and a price tag attached.

The whole thing with land sales seems to be his attempt at monetizing all the work he's had the team spend on procedural generation. But I don't think he actually told the team that the planets were for sale. I think he wanted planets and then later decided to monetize them with a planet-claiming ship and then just sold the claiming part separately. I don't think any of this is being designed for, any more than mining or exploration or farming or whatever-the-gently caress he sold last year.

The next thing they sell will be more spaceships and now (possibly) buildings, but only if Chris sees some cool space buildings to steal for his game and only if enough people buy land that he feels like he can sell buildings to them. Personally I'm expecting some really dumb land-based-community spaceships. They've already got the prospector and the constructor and all their recent vehicles have been aimed at "Defend your community" so I'm expecting some really stupid space pickup trucks or something. Alternately maybe they'll start selling atmospheric craft- that'd be a way to keep the single seater train rolling for a while longer.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 30, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Golli posted:

Remember, CIG doesn't give a poo poo about generating in-game economy, they're trying to incentivize people to pay hard cash, which is why I believe that these $50/$100 beacon/claim combos are going to represent an insane value compared to trying to do it "the old fashioned way" in game.

Golli posted:

I haven't seen that written anywhere. Is there a source for this or are you theorycrafting? Because this is the crux of our disagreement, I think. I don't believe there are any additional transactions required if you purchased a land claim and beacon with real cash. You're simply going to plop your beacon down and go turn in your claim, which essentially amounts to a voucher for ownership of whichever plot you pick.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

You're putting a lot more thought into this than CIG has, I think.

CIG's entire thought process at this point seems to be:

1) Chris sees an interesting new movie, tech, or idea he'd like to incorporate (reality tv contest, blade runner, alien covenant, star wars, face over ip, twitch streaming, dune, procedural generation, discord, radiant AI, grabby hands, whatever)
2) Chris immediately dreams up a dozen new features for Star Citizen. Orders developers to begin work immediately, jumps in front of a camera and promises that the new thing is almost ready and has secretly been planned for years.
3) Later, Chris sits down and actually figures out if the thing is worth any money- how can we sell it as a spaceship? (News van! Dropship! Big game hunter ship! Land construction ship! Mining ship! Space bike!)
4) If he comes up blank on #3 it disappears. Most everything dies at this point having wasted countless hours.
5) Otherwise, it eventually plops out with a stupid spaceship and a price tag attached.

The whole thing with land sales seems to be his attempt at monetizing all the work he's had the team spend on procedural generation. But I don't think he actually told the team that the planets were for sale. I think he wanted planets and then later decided to monetize them with a planet-claiming ship and then just sold the claiming part separately. I don't think any of this is being designed for, any more than mining or exploration or farming or whatever-the-gently caress he sold last year.

The next thing they sell will be more spaceships and now (possibly) buildings, but only if Chris sees some cool space buildings to steal for his game and only if enough people buy land that he feels like he can sell buildings to them. Personally I'm expecting some really dumb land-based-community spaceships. They've already got the prospector and the constructor and all their recent vehicles have been aimed at "Defend your community" so I'm expecting some really stupid space pickup trucks or something. Alternately maybe they'll start selling atmospheric craft- that'd be a way to keep the single seater train rolling for a while longer.

Chris is the "How do we spend money?" guy.

Ortwin and the Elms brothers are the "How do we create and stash money?" guys - and I am pretty sure they have put plenty of thought into the space real estate market, having seen people drop insane sums on virtual real estate in other (also failed) games.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Toops posted:

Are you using coroutines to generate the tiles/assets? Keeping things off the main thread could help.

Lord no, coroutines still run on the same core as the main thread, and at best are time slicing as co-routines block the main thread (and vise-versa)
I'll be using threaded Task<> objects, that way I can take advantage of the other processor cores. This of course means I cannot make any Unity API calls from those threads, which is another reason to get shot of Recalculate normals. The Unity side is a script on a Gameobject, which idles waiting for the Thread to signal that its done, and at that point the Gameobject script will get back the geometry data.

There is a bit of a hiccup regarding using terrain height data doing it this way, I imagine I'll have to precache any such data into memory, as normally doing a height look up is a Unity API call (or texture look up off a compute unit if you are doing GPU generated terrain meshes)

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 30, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The motivation is always "keep the dream alive". At this point any remaining backers and defenders are easily more emotionally invested in the eventual success of the project than any developer still working on it. Remember, there are backers regularly sending CIG lunch and crap.

Whoa whoa. Outside of that creepy Miku dude, there are still people sending CIG gifts and lunches regularly?? For real???

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Hav posted:

MushMouth's 11

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Remember, CIG doesn't give a poo poo about generating in-game economy, they're trying to incentivize people to pay hard cash, which is why I believe that these $50/$100 beacon/claim combos are going to represent an insane value compared to trying to do it "the old fashioned way" in game.

Depends a lot on the amount of liquidity that will be injected from the get go. I suspect that they're going to crash their own economy because there's a lot of ersatz currency floating around. This was one of the things that stopped Dust 514 being integrated fully into Eve was the number of ISK whales looking to drop currency into the shooter.

Also, we're _totally_ theorycrafting because they've said some fairly exclusive and contradictory things about how this works, and if that rumor is true that they didn't actually tell the rest of the company, then this has been poo poo out to prove a point.

I'd just relax, because at the moment there's literally nothing that CiG can do other than attempt to iterate on something other than the 'game' that was pitched five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Charlie (Hall)'s Angels