Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
To be fair, most people in Verona would have probably spoken Venetian as opposed to like, Latin. Or even whatever Italian dialect was spoken in the Papal States.

e: also, does a player pope really not get any say in who gets colonization rights? That’s lame. If I’m the pope and I want to reserve the whole new world for myself, I should be able to do it, dammit.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so i'm doing an iran play-through, going pretty well.

do i not get trade companies in the east indies unless i move my capital to europe?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

e: also, does a player pope really not get any say in who gets colonization rights? That’s lame. If I’m the pope and I want to reserve the whole new world for myself, I should be able to do it, dammit.

Spain just went Protestant. Good job.

For real though, you can reserve the whole New World for yourself as Switzerland, if you want. You just have to be willing to enforce your claim. :black101: :fuckoff: :black101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sudo rm -rf posted:

do i not get trade companies in the east indies unless i move my capital to europe?

No trade companies on the same continent as your capital. So you can do Africa, but not the Indies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

you'll need to move your capital to Europe (Anatolia works) or Africa (Egypt for example).

it doesn't particularly make sense that Middle Eastern nations can't get trade companies in SE Asia, for example in my Yemen game I'm colonizing but all of Indonesia will be regular provinces and not trade companies for me

edit: it also doesn't mesh very well with the new Muslim religious propagation through trading mechanic

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should add trade company regions to Europe.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Just wondering, but how fun is Burgundy to play? I was thinking of doing a Netherlands run but I don't often see people playing Burgundy so I was wondering if there was some lovely element to it, of it was generally unfun compared to other nations. I remember the Burgundy AI being fairly formidable but that was long ago and I am not sure if that applies to a player ran version?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It might seem like I'm empty-quoting this, but that's because I am.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Just wondering, but how fun is Burgundy to play? I was thinking of doing a Netherlands run but I don't often see people playing Burgundy so I was wondering if there was some lovely element to it, of it was generally unfun compared to other nations. I remember the Burgundy AI being fairly formidable but that was long ago and I am not sure if that applies to a player ran version?

It’s decent fun, yeah. A bit of a tricky start because you’re right between France and the HRE and are almost guaranteed to piss off at least one of them right away. But you have a good PU swarm, decent ideas, the Burgundian inheritance disaster only applies to the AI and not you, and you can strangle France in the crib with a bit of work. Once you clear out your PU juniors, you’re in a good position to dominate the English Channel node, form Netherlands, colonize, simply replace France, or really whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't like merc ideas ever since they made mercs cost so much. but burgundy is basically france jr i guess and i still like it because it was my first nation

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

To be fair, most people in Verona would have probably spoken Venetian as opposed to like, Latin. Or even whatever Italian dialect was spoken in the Papal States.

That's true, if non-latin Italian language was considered official.

Yeah it depends on which catholic country gets the first colony in a region.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

Iirc, the agreement was really between Spain and Portugal to divide colonization rights, and The Pope was more of just a neutral third party that approved it. The Papal states didn't really give a drat who colonized what personally.
It would be kind of cool if there was some system for countries to make treaties/agreements like that with each other, though. You know, without brutally murdering each other.

Fister Roboto posted:

They'd need bidirectional trade nodes first.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fister Roboto posted:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

AnoHito posted:

Iirc, the agreement was really between Spain and Portugal to divide colonization rights, and The Pope was more of just a neutral third party that approved it. The Papal states didn't really give a drat who colonized what personally.
It would be kind of cool if there was some system for countries to make treaties/agreements like that with each other, though. You know, without brutally murdering each other.

They'd need bidirectional trade nodes first.

Alexander VI wasn't neutral though, in fact he helped procure a fake papal bull allowing Ferdinand and Isabella to marry since they were second cousins. It'd be cool if you could have some influence on "helping" the pope decide who gets what in game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

White Coke posted:

Alexander VI wasn't neutral though, in fact he helped procure a fake papal bull allowing Ferdinand and Isabella to marry since they were second cousins. It'd be cool if you could have some influence on "helping" the pope decide who gets what in game.

but the papacy is already drowning in money, why would ...

ooooh.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Welp, I guess I can finally stop playing Austria. This is on my sixth or seventh attempt at forming the HRE.

It is kind of disappointing that you are actually way more powerful on the second final HRE reform (the one that vassalizes all the HRE members). I made them all marches, and declared war on Aragon and the UK - My vassals ate them almost single handedly.

When I passed the last reform, and all these vassal armies became my armies, I was at 630/230 force limit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Geisladisk posted:

Welp, I guess I can finally stop playing Austria. This is on my sixth or seventh attempt at forming the HRE.

It is kind of disappointing that you are actually way more powerful on the second final HRE reform (the one that vassalizes all the HRE members). I made them all marches, and declared war on Aragon and the UK - My vassals ate them almost single handedly.

When I passed the last reform, and all these vassal armies became my armies, I was at 630/230 force limit.

Yeah this is one of those things which makes no sense and I wish that they would just rework the last 2 reforms so that you actually have an incentive to press the button.

I feel the same way about Japan, if you're just playing to be efficient actually forming Japan is a huge idiot trap because if you don't you can make new Diamyo vassals

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

skasion posted:

It’s decent fun, yeah. A bit of a tricky start because you’re right between France and the HRE and are almost guaranteed to piss off at least one of them right away. But you have a good PU swarm, decent ideas, the Burgundian inheritance disaster only applies to the AI and not you, and you can strangle France in the crib with a bit of work. Once you clear out your PU juniors, you’re in a good position to dominate the English Channel node, form Netherlands, colonize, simply replace France, or really whatever.

Important note when taking over the low countries: moving your captial there will prevent dutch rebels from spawning which is vital, as they can and will spawn constant 20+ stacks of rebels otherwise.

I can't remember if Burgundy starts with its capital there, but make sure to move it if it's not!

I should say it's been awhile since I played there, but I believe this is how it works still.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I think BUR has an exception to the dutch rebels or something like that. You can also avoid it by culture switching to Dutch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

burgundy deffo did not have an exception from dutch rebels when i did Burgundian Conquest in 1.18

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

oddium posted:

burgundy deffo did not have an exception from dutch rebels when i did Burgundian Conquest in 1.18

Might be mixing together my memory with super early version or EU3....

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lagnar posted:

Important note when taking over the low countries: moving your captial there will prevent dutch rebels from spawning which is vital, as they can and will spawn constant 20+ stacks of rebels otherwise.

I can't remember if Burgundy starts with its capital there, but make sure to move it if it's not!

I should say it's been awhile since I played there, but I believe this is how it works still.

You can either move your capital there (Burgundy starts with its in Bourgogne) or culture shift to Dutch or Flemish (Burgundy started with Burgundian) or form Netherlands (if you’re Burgundy, this will do both of those things for you, at the cost of ceding all your French cores to France if they exist! I don’t remember this being the case but that’s sure a drawback if the wiki page is right).

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

skasion posted:

You can either move your capital there (Burgundy starts with its in Bourgogne)

Is this for anyone or only for Burgundy? I just wrapped up a Dithmarschen run where I moved my capital to Holland and still suffered constant Dutch revolts. They only stopped in the last century or so for some reason.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

code:
trigger = {
    is_year = 1550
    NOT = { is_year = 1650 }
    NED = {
        exists = yes
        ai = yes
        was_player = no
    }
    owner = {
        NOT = { tag = NED }
    }
    region = low_countries_region
    OR = {
        culture = dutch
        culture = flemish
        is_core = NED
    }
    OR = {
        NOT = { has_province_flag = dutch_revolt }
        had_province_flag = { flag = dutch_revolt days = 1825 }
    }
    owner = {
        OR = {
            capital_scope = {
                NOT = { region = low_countries_region }
            }
            NOT = {
                OR = {
                    primary_culture = dutch
                    primary_culture = flemish
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
This is the event that causes Dutch revolts to start firing. So they stopped because it was after 1650. THIS event will never fire if your capital is in the Low Countries region, or your primary culture is Dutch or Flemish, before 1550. HOWEVER, the individual revolt events do not check for any of these things. If you move your capital to the Low Countries or culture shift after this event has already fired, it will not fix anything and you'll continue to get the revolts. Do it before 1550 and you should be fine.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Or when a province revolts you can just choose to give concessions and 100% local autonomy instead of fighting rebels, which wont spread the revolts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-23-ottoman-to-coptic-england-fast-revoke.1057953/

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Groogy posted:

Yes it is? You do know most people are not you right?

Most people I've ever talked to the game about never play the game to the end unless they're going for specific cheevos but yes technically most humans aren't me. Congratulations on your pedantry I guess.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pretty sure Groogy has access to the actual real figures that say exactly what dates people play until rather than just relying on hearsay, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jesus christ that is such a meticulous sequence of things that have to happen

I like converting to Catholic Ottomans, becoming HRE emperor, spawn Coptic zealots and let them run rampant, pass a bunch of reforms, tag switch to England to get all of your provinces removed from the HRE, flip to Coptic, then pass a bunch more reforms for free. ~100 Vassals as Coptic England in 1511. Fuuuuuuuuu

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I like converting to Catholic Ottomans, becoming HRE emperor, spawn Coptic zealots and let them run rampant, pass a bunch of reforms, tag switch to England to get all of your provinces removed from the HRE, flip to Coptic, then pass a bunch more reforms for free. ~100 Vassals as Coptic England in 1511. Fuuuuuuuuu

I'm not nearly as good the players who do things like this. How do you even conquer England by that time?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ally France, no CB Tyrone, beat up England a lot, make sure Scotland takes some land.

The posts are actually insanely detailed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the strategy is awesome as hell. You definitely need to know your way around the game to meet that timeline but drat

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That's the kind of thing that usually gets fixed pretty quickly, quicker than Ming anyhow.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

Pretty sure Groogy has access to the actual real figures that say exactly what dates people play until rather than just relying on hearsay, though.

Without delving too deep into it(since some time since I looked at it), it is big enough percentage of started sessions reporting a later start date from a save to a degree that it can't be ignored. Also the percentage go way up if you only count multiplayer games. Either way it's not something we can just "Meh who cares about the 1700"?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Can you get an intern to do stats on that for a dev diary, like you did with HoI4?
Like top 20 Nation picks, average game length, etc?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We already have a topic decided for the next dev diary but maybe in the near future.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

QuarkJets posted:

It's dark sorcery, that's what it is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

That's the kind of thing that usually gets fixed pretty quickly, quicker than Ming anyhow.

i only read like five of the posts but what is there to fix

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

Without delving too deep into it(since some time since I looked at it), it is big enough percentage of started sessions reporting a later start date from a save to a degree that it can't be ignored. Also the percentage go way up if you only count multiplayer games. Either way it's not something we can just "Meh who cares about the 1700"?

I have to say I have tons of respect for the person who decided to make sure the world map (or at least the European one) was accurate every single day until the end date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mans posted:

I have to say I have tons of respect for the person who decided to make sure the world map (or at least the European one) was accurate every single day until the end date.

It's real cool when I decide to play an obscure ruler from late in the timeline and I find them there and the whole map accurately portrayed.

Not that I do that very often.