Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

someone put out a mod that fixed the kb+m controls immensely in DS1, that might've eventually been rolled into the graphics mod everyone uses, did you already have that?

That was what I was indirectly referring to. DSMfix makes the mouse behave in a mostly-sane way, but still feels a bit off. The other half of the process would be sorting out a keybind scheme that doesn't hurt my head. Instead of dealing with all of that, I might as well just use my 360 pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I practically prefer to use a controller in most games, now. I do KB&M in like... multiplayer FPS, MMOS, and city builder type things. Everything else, including single-player FPS, is controller if I can get away with it.

A good chunk of this is because I have been absolutely spoiled by my steam link. The unfortunate truth is that my otherwise extremely comfortable centralized gaming setup doesn't have the best ergonomics for KB&M. Also I've kinda made peace with the fact that I can't keep up with PC shooters' multiplayer any more. Console I can still do because of the even playing field, but motherfuckers in the PC ecosystem can usually kill me before I know they're there when they spot exactly one pixel of my character moving out from behind cover. I don't have the twitch reflexes I had in like 9th grade.

Are you playing in a living room kind of area? I just got a gaming pc chair which is great and comfortable. But after long hours I need to stretch my legs out. I use to have a cushion to stretch my legs out under my desk but now there is a wall right behind it so I can't stretch. 1st world problems...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

That was what I was indirectly referring to. DSMfix makes the mouse behave in a mostly-sane way, but still feels a bit off. The other half of the process would be sorting out a keybind scheme that doesn't hurt my head. Instead of dealing with all of that, I might as well just use my 360 pad.

yeah that makes sense. i'm the weirdo that actually went and did all that and i can report: it works! but it's a pain in the rear end to get set up. you'd have to be a weirdo to do it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ulio posted:

Are you playing in a living room kind of area? I just got a gaming pc chair which is great and comfortable. But after long hours I need to stretch my legs out. I use to have a cushion to stretch my legs out under my desk but now there is a wall right behind it so I can't stretch. 1st world problems...

Bedroom. I moved into a much smaller apartment, so my living room choices were "table OR couch, pick one". I have my desk still set up out there, too, but the bedroom setup is way more ideal for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my office chair is getting pretty ratty.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

There's also, for me, the fact that games like Bayonetta feel so good with a controller that even if I could get KB&M working nicely, I don't think I'd enjoy them quite as much. When part of what makes a game good is how the character controls, I really want to use the control scheme it was designed for. Of course, I understand that some people have just never really used controllers and can't get comfortable with them, but that just makes me glad I have.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

il_cornuto posted:

There's also, for me, the fact that games like Bayonetta feel so good with a controller that even if I could get KB&M working nicely, I don't think I'd enjoy them quite as much. When part of what makes a game good is how the character controls, I really want to use the control scheme it was designed for. Of course, I understand that some people have just never really used controllers and can't get comfortable with them, but that just makes me glad I have.

It definitely helps that Platinum are masters of their craft. Revengeance was what got me to buy a controller and while there was still a slight hump to get over in order to acclimate to the 360 pad (having only ever messed around with Nintendo and Playstation stuff previously), once it clicked everything felt gooooood. One thing you absolutely miss out on with KB+M is rumble.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah that makes sense. i'm the weirdo that actually went and did all that and i can report: it works! but it's a pain in the rear end to get set up. you'd have to be a weirdo to do it.

I haven't the foggiest idea when I'll take another swing at Dark Souls, but if you have your config file handy I wouldn't mind having a copy to work off of just to see if I can hash KB+M out this time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yo exquisite tea, I just got my new headphones and remembered what you said about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anything I should know before I dive in? I'm assuming there's not a lot of customization

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

It definitely helps that Platinum are masters of their craft. Revengeance was what got me to buy a controller and while there was still a slight hump to get over in order to acclimate to the 360 pad (having only ever messed around with Nintendo and Playstation stuff previously), once it clicked everything felt gooooood. One thing you absolutely miss out on with KB+M is rumble.

Also it seems for the most part Japanese games seem to be not optimized for KB+M at all since pc gaming isn't really a big thing there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

Unless they changed it from the free version, Black Mesa was clearly designed by people who played Half-Life to perfection and built their game around making it more challenging for themselves, not a general audience. Half-Life was the last of that school of game design where everything moves faster than it should and you're rewarded for bunny hopping around lobbing explosives at everything. But Black Mesa basically gave every enemy 100% accuracy and removed all charge up time. The vortigaunts fire instantly, houndeyes blast through walls and aren't the cute timid creatures they once were, and grunts have perfect awareness. They took the helicopter boss which normally goes down in three hits (classic video game rule) and now it's like 9 hits for no reason.

I just wanted to play Half-Life with better graphics but I really can't recommend Black Mesa to anyone except people who put a thousand hours into Half-Life and want something new.

I didn't honestly find Black Mesa very difficult (didn't get to the helicopter yet though), I dealt with grunts by just overwhelming them with grenades and tripmines and picking off the survivors with pot shots, but their AI seems to be based on the HL2 combine infantry. What bugs me is how some essential parts of the game are lost, like scariness of the ichtyosaur or the sensitivity of the tentacles (all over the place, it was easiest to just rush through). Houndeyes and vorts are more difficult, but zombies are a joke by comparison and I don't think I even got hurt by one once in the whole run. The weapons do unreliable damage, shotgun will sometimes take three hits at point blank instead of one hit on the same enemy from a distance, revolver is crap, and so on. Where they did a really good job is the introduction sequence and first couple of areas, as well as the removal of the crappy train ride stuff, but other than that I didn't see a reason to play this instead of just vanilla original Half Life.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Yo exquisite tea, I just got my new headphones and remembered what you said about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anything I should know before I dive in? I'm assuming there's not a lot of customization

Hellblade doesn't spend much time teaching you all your combat moves, and fights can drag pretty long if you don't know how to stagger dudes for extra damage. Sword dudes and mace dudes can be staggered if you block their attacks right before they hit, and then you can take them out with a heavy strike or a brief combo. Against mace & shield dudes, stagger them with an F-key melee attack and then lay into them with alternating light & heavy strikes. There are other types of dudes, which either can't be staggered or I forget how.

You get a bullet-time ability fairly early on; try to save it for when you've been knocked down and someone's right about to finish you off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There isn't a single game genre I play with a controller. They confound me and I'm bad at them. AMA about beating the janky PC version of Devil May Cry 3 using the default keyboard controls. :twisted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Hellblade doesn't spend much time teaching you all your combat moves, and fights can drag pretty long if you don't know how to stagger dudes for extra damage. Sword dudes and mace dudes can be staggered if you block their attacks right before they hit, and then you can take them out with a heavy strike or a brief combo. Against mace & shield dudes, stagger them with an F-key melee attack and then lay into them with alternating light & heavy strikes. There are other types of dudes, which either can't be staggered or I forget how.

You get a bullet-time ability fairly early on; try to save it for when you've been knocked down and someone's right about to finish you off.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds more complicated than I was expecting (which is good)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

There isn't a single game genre I play with a controller. They confound me and I'm bad at them. AMA about beating the janky PC version of Devil May Cry 3 using the default keyboard controls. :twisted:

I am curious. Have you played Dark Souls yet without any mods?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ulio posted:

I am curious. Have you played Dark Souls yet without any mods?
DS2: Scholar is the only game in the series I own and it's in my backlog. Might be the next big game I play though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The DS2 m+kb controls are "fine"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

i did this with dmc4 which didn't even recognize mouse inputs, but i did rebind the controls at least

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

The DS2 m+kb controls are "fine"

Ya 2 might be fine but 1 is only playable if you have the dexterity of a world class pianist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phlegmish posted:

The combat system is more complex than at first glance, but the game teaches you almost nothing about how to play it, and you can get through the entire game just spamming light attack and thinking it's not very interesting. So if you like here are a few starter, not too spoilery combat tips:

1. Senua's melee acts as both a guard break against shields and a combo extender. Using melee as the last input of any combat string extends it directly into another one, ex. Light Light Melee Heavy Heavy
2. Parrying right as the enemy is about to attack gives you a counterattack that changes depending on your followup input. Light gives you a spinning sword attack, Heavy is a powerful uppercut, Melee is a more powerful shoulder bash.
3. Similarly, sprinting while using an attack button opens up different combos as well. You don't actually need to get a running start to input the button.
4. If you get knocked down, you can button mash to get up quicker.
5. Your focus mirror acts not just as a slow time, but restores your health. Landing perfect parries will fill your mirror up faster.

Other than that just try to play in a dark room without too many distractions!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ulio posted:

Ya 2 might be fine but 1 is only playable if you have the dexterity of a world class pianist.

Mordja posted:

I mean, they probably do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea when I'll take another swing at Dark Souls, but if you have your config file handy I wouldn't mind having a copy to work off of just to see if I can hash KB+M out this time.

i'll take a look when i get off work to see if it's still kicking around, but it's been a grip since i've played dark souls 1 myself so it might've been lost to the ages.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

You should get one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

But have you played the original PC release of Resident Evil 4?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kibayasu posted:

But have you played the original PC release of Resident Evil 4?

I have that. Oh god, don't remind me. What was it? Quicktime events on the numpad?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

I have that. Oh god, don't remind me. What was it? Quicktime events on the numpad?

I don't remember that but it has literally no mouse support. The default controls are WASD for movement and 8462 on the numpad for aiming.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is free on Humble, and it's worth it for that price as a neat little FPS with a team you can order around.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is free on Humble, and it's worth it for that price as a neat little FPS with a team you can order around.

It was FPS in the first reveal trailers (that also had interesting looking black goo monsters), but they had some rough development issues and turned it into Mass Effect style third person cover shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaeCmvpX4M8

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cool, that's a game I have nearly bought several times and always went for something else. Good job, past self!

I wonder why though, the free games during the sale made sense as way to get people to look at the site and maybe sway them towards picking something up from them instead of the Steam sale, but now it seems like odd timing.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sininu posted:

It was FPS in the first reveal trailers (that also had interesting looking black goo monsters), but they had some rough development issues and turned it into Mass Effect style third person cover shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaeCmvpX4M8

It's been several years since I last played it, haha. I did spend money on it back in the day, good job self!

(Apparently if you wait long enough every game you'll ever want will become free...)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

You should get one.

I can't, I'm broke now. My budget looks like this:

Food $250
Data $60
Rent $975
Mechanical Keyboards $3600
Utlitiy $80

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

(Apparently if you wait long enough every game you'll ever want will become free...)

I mean, I only ever mildly wanted it, and never quite enough to even buy it on sale. I think it's more like, only buy games you're sure you want to play, the others will probably be free eventually.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

Food $250
Data $60
Rent $975
Utlitiy $80

buy more candles

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

Food $250
Data $60
Rent $975
Utlitiy $80

Spend less on keyboards

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

Spend less on keyboards

No.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Here, use this

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That's the saddest anime boob pad I've ever seen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Tides of Numenara just went on sale for £14, is it worth buying if I loved PS:T but found that Pillars of Eternity left me oddly cold?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

It also has a neat twist! I recommend the game to anyone who is considering picking it up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the tips. Sounds more complicated than I was expecting (which is good)

it's actually incredibly simple. the only trick the game has is throwing more people at you, so by the end combats take ages simply because of numbers and not because anything is harder.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Ulio posted:

Funnily DA:I was only considered decent at best by players but journalists loved this game for some reason, it got many 9s and even 10s.

DA:I was kind of front-loaded. It started with a couple great set pieces and the kickass castle before it got into grindy padding, so I think people who finished the game were a lot more sour on it than people who played the first 5-10 hours. Unless they got really early review copies the reviewers probably didn't have time to get sick of it.

Ditto Fallout 4, the beginning through meeting the Minutemen was a great, focused experience before you get dropped into a lot of open world bloat.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Also when did Hollow Knight "click" for y'all? I'm up to the City of Tears and enjoying it so far, just not seeing why it's a GOTY contender yet.

Not looking for spoilers or anything, just a ballpark :shobon: