Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jamfrost posted:

If I find out I can't gift a game for the upcoming choo-choo, I'll just send strong US digital gift card converted Steam credit. :colbert:

I'd be down with this in the gift train provided you also sent "hey you should get [x from your wishlist]" as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

There's a Nicalis publisher sale on Steam. Don't get The End Is Nigh unless you are OK with it being not as good as Super Meat Boy and also really not valueing your time at all. Possibly do get Creepy Castle, I've heard it's good but short and can confirm that the first 10 minutes are charming.

End is Nigh is good tho!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Far Cry 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
man, i won the new doom from fart of presto on steamgifts a couple months ago, but have never been able to play it properly due to my bad video card..
now that i have a new one... oh... oh man.. wow..

it's so good..

if you don't have it.. get that drat bundle.. holy moley.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
UI chat: Tacoma had a cool AR thing going with it’s interface

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

i cackle like a hyena every time I see this. Farcry 2 has been my favorite farcry but the game tries so hard for me to hate it, and succeeds. One too many mechanics that were slightly infuriating because they had bad values (Guns decay incredibly fast, AI will follow you for miles without giving up, cleared outposts repopulate too quickly, unholy amounts of driving because fast travel doesnt exist, malaria getting old half an hour in...)

I'd buy the heck out of a remaster/directors cut version where they fixed the worst offenses.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

What's your favorite games with UI integrated into the game world? I'm talking stuff like Uplink, Her Story, Deadspace, Nier Automata where the settings menu kinda overlap with the in-game world and so on. Can be total immersion, or simple stuff like computers in the game being rendered instead of being on a separate menu and so on.

Kingsway is literally a computer desktop interface fantasy adventure! It looked so neat that I picked it up on a whim after watching the giant bomb quicklook, but never got around to doing a whole lot with it since I was kinda getting eaten by 100 hours of stardew valley at the time :blush: so I can't give a solid yes/no recommend, but it has very high ratings on steam. Gotta dig this one out of the backlog, thanks for reminding me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Duskers is amazing for immersive UI. You control drones exploring derelict spaceships with a command-line interface.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Playing how to survive 2. Man white rabbits can suck the biggest bag of dicks. Any advise?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wow. My total is 223 and some change. I am incredibly surprised.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

strategery posted:

Playing how to survive 2. Man white rabbits can suck the biggest bag of dicks. Any advise?

Ranged weaponry, always go for critical hits as it gives them a brief stagger so you can keep backing up until it's dead. If it gets too close, juke to the side so it misses it's lunge which causes it to pause momentarily. If there are other fast enemies around, run away until things are more manageable.

I suppose you could also go melee, but it would just be dodge-attack-attack-dodge repeatedly for way too long.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

dad on the rag posted:

Dont the publishers and developers set the prices?

The general theory is that developers aren't willing to give deep discounts for the whole duration of a sale which kinda blows ever since Valve quit doing daily deals in their big rear end events. Other digital stores - GMG, Humble Store, Fanatical, Nuuvem - still have those, and their prices are notably lower.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
any tips for deus ex hr directors cut? im hateplaying it just to get it out of the way..

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

any tips for deus ex hr directors cut? im hateplaying it just to get it out of the way..

...Don't?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

buglord posted:

Stick with one weapon to upgrade whether it's lethal or not. The pistol is a solid choice.

Don't just run out out of cover, bullets are bad and you will die in like three seconds of sustained fire. Unless you're playing on easy, then yeah go for it, I guess.

There's always a way out of a situation, even if it means murdering every enemy in the area.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The break through walls aug will pay for itself if you keep an eye out. Get the upgraded typhoon for super easy boss kills.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Don't waste your time playing games you're not enjoying.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Samuringa posted:

Don't waste your time playing games you're not enjoying.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Make exaggerated robot sounds with your mouth every time Adam moves.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Always waste your time playing games you're not enjoying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can understand hatewatching something because at least most of your entertainment is derived from making fun of it to yourself or others.

At most watch someone else play a game you dislike instead of slogging through it yourself.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Randallteal posted:

The break through walls aug will pay for itself if you keep an eye out. Get the upgraded typhoon for super easy boss kills.

Definitely Typhoon, the boss battles are bullshit, but over in mere seconds with it. Highly recommend the typhoon.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

buglord posted:

Probably uninstall it unless you plan on writing a review or something. Seems pointless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried playing Human Revolution three times over the years since its release and it aged worse each time around. I wanted to like it because of its stated design goals but the way those were executed just felt pretty bad. The third time around I put the most concentrated effort to get through it, and I didn't finish Shanghai.

Immediately after that I played through Prey and finished it in a week and half, if you haven't played that I would start that instead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who liked human revolution well enough when it came out, especially because it was an attempt to bring back a genre that had been dead in the water for years, everything it did ended up being done better by the dishonored series and prey.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Human Revolution was a good game. It always amazes me how violently people turn on games that were well received.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, what the heck? Human Revolution was a great game and this is the first time I've ever seen people trash-talking it, even here. The only thing it did poorly was boss fights. I thought it's the sequel that's a bad game :shrug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, what the heck? Human Revolution was a great game and this is the first time I've ever seen people trash-talking it, even here. The only thing it did poorly was boss fights. I thought it's the sequel that's a bad game :shrug:

The sequel isn't even a bad game its just got a story that doesn't really go anywhere.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I remember right when human revolution came out the main thread consensus was that it was ok at best terrible at worst

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Don't hateplay games unless they're incredibly short or you've got some ulterior justification for doing it.

Cowcaster posted:

as someone who liked human revolution well enough when it came out, especially because it was an attempt to bring back a genre that had been dead in the water for years, everything it did ended up being done better by the dishonored series and prey.

To be fair Human Revolution was 5+ years before Prey and its success probably helped justify making the latter game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Immediately after that I played through Prey and finished it in a week and half, if you haven't played that I would start that instead.
Yeah I played Prey to completion first, and it like the first incredible non-Paradox-map-game, game ive played in at least two years.

Meanwhile im also playing Night in the woods and its easily the most charming game ive played since stardew valley.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

End is Nigh is good tho!

I guess that came across a little harsh, it's still pretty good. I think it is considerably less good than SMB though.There are a whole bunch of things - the way collectables are so important to the late game, the fact you have to play through most of a world if you want to go back and get something you missed in a later level, the carts making you replay the whole thing if you die too much (or at all in some cases) - that just waste a load of your time for no good reason. Some of the level design, particularly the reliance on having something happen when you reach a certain part of the screen with no indication that this is case, just kind of sucks. And your moveset just isn't as fun as SMB's running and walljumping. All that said, if you like difficult platformers, you'll probably get a fair amount of fun out of it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That sequel to HR had some serious technical problems too. I suppose most of them should be fixed by now. Maybe. I hold Human Revolution in much higher regard though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Now I'm trying to think of games that had clunky, intrusive, terrible UI's. DE: Invisible War, maybe.

Little late but does this count:

Dont worry there are keyboard shortcuts for *everything*

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

That sequel to HR had some serious technical problems too. I suppose most of them should be fixed by now. Maybe. I hold Human Revolution in much higher regard though.

The biggest one when I played it was ridiculous load times between fast travel points. At first they "hide" that with a barely animated subway car ride but at some point in the game the subways stop for story reasons so you're treated to a looping cutscene of a sad, lonely, and frustrated Jensen walking down train tracks.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Dyz posted:

Little late but does this count:

Dont worry there are keyboard shortcuts for *everything*

please system shock was light years ahead of anything else.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't hateplay games unless they're incredibly short or you've got some ulterior justification for doing it.

To be fair Human Revolution was 5+ years before Prey and its success probably helped justify making the latter game.

Yeah there's this RPS piece that's related:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/10/why-do-we-spend-time-playing-games-we-dont-like/

I don't do any of this, if I check my Steam games based on hours played, the most that I've spent on games that I didn't enjoy has been 2 hours.

Of course, that RPS article is based on Steam reviews so a lot of it is just teenage kids being edgy and in need of a hug and in reality they did enjoy that Rise of the Tomb Raider just like everyone else.

Also, I'm currently playing Prey and Deus Ex: HR is one of the few games in my backlog that I haven't tried yet at all :ohdear: Does it have recycling? I hope it has recycling.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 1, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If I remember right when human revolution came out the main thread consensus was that it was ok at best terrible at worst

I remember the "leak" or whatever it was coming out and everybody being excited as gently caress about it. Everyone loved it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Human Revolution is drat good and has a really interesting story and world and brought about a huge shift in the first/third person stealth game formula. Playing it these days, my only real criticisms of it are is that the shooting is vastly overpowered compared to the sneaking while netting you only slightly less xp for picking new skills, and the open-ish world doesn't really serve to do much besides get you lost and hide goodies in corners considering there's not even any sneaking around to do in it. Aside from those two things, it's really fantastic. It's unfortunate that Mankind Divided both did not improve on many of the mechanics while adding a bunch of new ones, and also added the preachiest most annoying story ever created by a video game writer, but that game is still really fun to play too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm pretty sure you remember wrong.