Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nickoten posted:

Also maybe you ordered pasta at the restaurant because you really want to eat pasta and are unable to cook at home that day. :shrug:

I've gone to a restaurant and ordered -- get this -- a sandwich before, too!

You idiot moron learn to put stuff on bread, fool, good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

I do when I’m at Olive Garden

:chloe:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

caberham posted:

I do when I’m at Olive Garden

This post was like opening a huge Christmas present and tearing out all the wrapping paper and packaging stuffing, and it's just a can of off brand chunk white tuna.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The fact that caberham sometimes eats at Olive Garden like the common man should be a huge relief to you all.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Caberham is of refined taste. He can enjoy Michelin starred Cantonese food, or Olive Garden.

caberham posted:

I think it’s actually good to experiment on new flavours and techniques. My biggest beef with the PURE TRADITIONALISTS is that tradition itself is a murky line based on a more limited world view. Nostalgia is nice at times but the old school kind of cooking is being phased out. Nobody needs to add lard to their rice anymore when everyone can afford meat. With globalization to source ingredients and the internet to spread information, chefs can cook tastier food if they wanted to.

I should find, translate, and post the beef between different Sichuanese chefs about poo poo like adding wosun to kung pao chicken or the amount of hua jiao powder in shui zhu niu rou all in the name of "tradition" vs "innovation".

The wosun thing is especially loving crazy because people lose their mind over it. There are books written about how it ruins/defines the dish.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

Caberham is of refined taste. He can enjoy Michelin starred Cantonese food, or Olive Garden.

I should find, translate, and post the beef between different Sichuanese chefs about poo poo like adding wosun to kung pao chicken or the amount of hua jiao powder in shui zhu niu rou all in the name of "tradition" vs "innovation".

The wosun thing is especially loving crazy because people lose their mind over it. There are books written about how it ruins/defines the dish.

Please do, for real.

E: I really mean it that sounds like it would be fun to read about.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
EDIT: I'm just going to stop now, no need for a GWS thread to devolve into D&D pedantry.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 1, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

EDIT: I'm just going to stop now, no need for a GWS thread to devolve into D&D pedantry.

counterpoint: there's always a need for more d&d pedantry especially WRT china

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Recommend me a Chinese dish I can make in a western kitchen but haven't made before.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Great Autismo! posted:

counterpoint: there's always a need for more d&d pedantry especially WRT china

Arglebargle III posted:

Recommend me a Chinese dish I can make in a western kitchen but haven't made before.

Just don't take a picture of it with chopsticks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know what you've made before but you can make baller rear end 干锅花菜 with a regular ol cast iron pan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Have you got access to a good Chinese grocery store?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arglebargle III posted:

Pasta.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kung pao chicken is just diced chicken, veg, and peanuts in any kind of spicy sauce right? That's good enough for a Western kitchen :downs:

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yes, Westerners are so ignorant and ridiculous.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made oyakodonburi instead of Chinese because of your responses. You have brought shame to a great nation.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Sometimes I like to make my oyakodon with both light and dark soy, add chilis and then throw some choi sum or pea shoots on top after and pretend I'm eating Chinese food. It's pretty good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oyakodon is a pretty choice option so I applaud you on going with that instead.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not even the Chinese food thread is safe from shitposting sexpats

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I just want to go home, steam a hairy crab, rip it in half and suck all the gonads and juices and orange yolk.

But I’m in The Netherlands eating cheese, bread, and drinking beer. I do have to check out some Surinam Chinese

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nickoten posted:

Sometimes I like to make my oyakodon with both light and dark soy, add chilis and then throw some choi sum or pea shoots on top after and pretend I'm eating Chinese food. It's pretty good.

MY TRADITION :emo:

The Choi sum and pea shoots sounds hosed up though, even though it’s good to eat your veggies

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No I agree, this soupy runny egg chicken stuff is good but I could use some crunch.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peven Stan posted:

Not even the Chinese food thread is safe from shitposting sexpats

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LOOOOL

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

caberham posted:

MY TRADITION :emo:

The Choi sum and pea shoots sounds hosed up though, even though it’s good to eat your veggies

I cook those separately with garlic and a little sesame oil, as I learned from this thread!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

No I agree, this soupy runny egg chicken stuff is good but I could use some crunch.

Shut up nerd

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Shut up nerd

Why do you say such hurtful things?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you two just need to hurry up and have sex already

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

Why do you say such hurtful things?

Because your insanely bad

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Magna Kaser posted:

The tofu recipe didn't bother me at all and while that "kung pao" pastrami looks good and all, it does kind of irk me it's called "kung pao" when it has like nothing in common (outside of peanuts, I guess?) with actual kung pao [thing]. It's basically just a rando stir fry with kung pao in front to sound more chinese-y. I'll admit I just found a few, admittedly differing, recipes online for it and some more pix to come to this conclusion so maybe the real-deal is closer to the actual thing.

Like you could totally have kung pao pastrami, like you can already get kung pao chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, tofu, [deep fried root vegetables], fish, etc... and they all share a few commonalities outside of the protein which this doesn't have at all.

I'm willing to admit I'm being a weirdo about this but it did bother me a bit.

SF and NYC are a pricy places?? But yeah that's a pretty ridic price for mapo unless it's like 50% meat.

But even in China it's gone up to like 2-3USD now when it used to be like 20 cents :smith:

You lot better never visit DC then. Peter Chang’s places are without a doubt the best Chinese restaurants in the region (if you’re posting in this thread and don’t know who Peter Chang is I can’t help you but Google can) and the cheapest main dishes are at least $12. And they’re not particularly fancy restaurants.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Kung pao chicken is just diced chicken, veg, and peanuts in any kind of spicy sauce right? That's good enough for a Western kitchen :downs:

It should actually be more sweet than spicy (and "ma" instead of normal spicy at that), but the current trend in China for all Sichuan food to be super Hunan-level spicy has spread outside of China so now almost everyone assumes everything from this province is just filled with chilies. A lot of local chefs feel it's diluted the more complex flavor profile Sichuan cooking had always had, and in recent years "traditional" restaurants with menus focusing more on diverse flavors have started to pop up around Chengdu in a response to this.

This leads to a weird phenomenon where “Sichuan" food elsewhere in China or the world tends to be spicier than in actual Sichuan as it's what people expect in those places.

This one is really close to what you'd get in Sichuan itself minus controversial vegetable choices: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/gong-bao-ji-ding-sichuan-kung-pow-chicken-recipe.html

The addition of vegetables in gong bao ji ding is also a pretty dicey topic in Sichuan proper, so be careful who you discuss that with!!! My landlord is a retired head chef from a major hotel and once sent back kung pao fish in a pretty fancy restaurant here because it had green bamboo (wosun) in it.

Food is kinda like fashion in how arbitrarily dogmatic people can make it.

drgitlin posted:

You lot better never visit DC then. Peter Chang’s places are without a doubt the best Chinese restaurants in the region (if you’re posting in this thread and don’t know who Peter Chang is I can’t help you but Google can) and the cheapest main dishes are at least $12. And they’re not particularly fancy restaurants.

I just got back from a trip to the US and I always kind of forget how expensive even simple stuff can be in major cities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always make my gong bao very spicy and very sour since that's what I'm into. When I ask Chinese people for recipes they look at me like I have three heads, it's a very un-recipe kind of culture and def do whatever you enjoy eating. Nothing made my Chinese girlfriend laugh more than me measuring things out for a recipe, she found it absurd.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Sichuan food, does anyone have a good dandan noodle recipe for Shirataki noodles? They have a great texture and, frankly, are easier to work with than other noodles. Calorie free is a bonus. I'm just bored of using them in soups and figure this is an easy next step. But since dandan noodles are more noodle focused, I wasn't sure if there were any modifications people liked.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

CassandraSupreme posted:

Speaking of Sichuan food, does anyone have a good dandan noodle recipe for Shirataki noodles? They have a great texture and, frankly, are easier to work with than other noodles. Calorie free is a bonus. I'm just bored of using them in soups and figure this is an easy next step. But since dandan noodles are more noodle focused, I wasn't sure if there were any modifications people liked.

dandanmian is like mapo tofu where there are 40,000 different recipes so I'd just find a recipe that looks good to you, make the sauce/pork as they describe and add it over the shirataki.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/how-to-make-dan-dan-noodles-chinese-appetizers.html this is a good english recipe, but I prefer the ones that use sesame paste myself and this one: https://omnivorescookbook.com/dan-dan-noodles/ would probably be more up my alley.

I'd use either of those as a start then modify as you see fit adding more chili oil or whatever.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Easy is good! Thanks man!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I made mapo tofu with buckwheat noodles and roasted garlic peas last night, gently caress tradition.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Well since we're all talking about bucking tradition I will share my five year shameful secret. One time when I was still in school I made Mapo Tofu and intended to eat the leftovers the next day. I got home, stripped to my underwear, and was all ready to settle in for some spicy pungent goodness to end the day. That's when I realized with horror that I was out of rice. I didn't feel like getting dressed again and driving back out to the grocery store, so I looked for whatever I could find in my fridge to act as a palette. All I could find were hot dog buns. I was going to just put them in the hot dog buns and eat them (which would have been delicious), but then I thought, "well, there's ground pork in here, maybe I could make a mapo chili dog." So I did.

And that's how I started putting leftover mapo tofu on top of hot dogs. Try it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Would eat the poo poo out of that tbh. Next time make a garbage plate with zha jiang mian sauce. :staredog:

e: you're a scrub if you haven't used storebought spaghetti for zhajiangmian

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah that sounds awesome.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

e: you're a scrub if you haven't used storebought spaghetti for zhajiangmian

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a cookbook called Hong Kong Diner and in one of the recipes it calls for "1 stick of fresh green peppercorns" does anyone know what this means?

Edit: Nevermind, when I tried to google it last night I was getting nothing but now I see. I will amend my question to be "Are jarred young green peppercorns considered fresh?"

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2018