Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ceyton posted:

But it came out 6 years ago and I don't think it has aged very well. The combat is pretty creaky by modern standards, and Dishonored (and now Prey) one-upped it in pretty much every category. It doesn't look so good compared to its competition any more.

Yeah. It's a bit like the Fallout 3 versus New Vegas thing where everyone liked 3 when it came out well enough because they were starving for a new fallout game, and then New Vegas came along a little bit later and ate its loving lunch in every conceivable way. I don't think there's a lot of people these days itching to get back to Fallout 3 any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ceyton posted:

Yeah, they were designed for twin sticks on a console, and the transition to PC broke them, especially on higher difficulty levels. AP is one of those games that's best on Easy difficulty, because it takes the edge off the bad gameplay while still letting you experience the incredibly good story/choice/conversation system.

I am playing it on a 360 controller but even with the sticks the movement is too slow so a lot of times the alarms are almost impossible to disable. I was going to go full stealth but now I just go full stealth until I get discovered and murder everyone.. There is no use in trying to lose detection.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EMPs for locks, Chain Shot for fights

problems solved

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mordja posted:

I swear, goons have this anti-nostalgia thing going on where any popular game that ages past a certain threshold is suddenly bad and was always considered to be bad. Most people saw HR as a strong return to form, whose only major negatives were its boss fights and the fact that the original Deus Ex has achieved near-mythical status that no sequel can hope to match.

People still defend Alpha Protocol to the death and I'd easily classify it in the same overrated category as Human Revolution. Different strokes and all that. It's alright to like or dislike video games other people feel the opposite about. The hivemind here forgets that a lot.

I forgot to cancel my Humble Monthly after last months shitshow and now setting myself up for more disappointment in 3 hours with this H1Z1 bundle unlocks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Corn is just wrong about 50% of the time. They're right a lot, but hey.

UI chat: Finally dove into Quadrilateral Cowboy and it's so loving good. If Duskers is anything like it it's definitely next. The fact that you can code heists in full before you even get started is incredibly fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Top level of one of the skills in AP gives you an ability cooldown reset skill with own cooldown so short it's ready before your invisibility even wears off. You can run through entire levels as a dick-punching ghost, stopping in cover only to reapply the ghost lotion.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I unironically feel bad that I missed the cat game kickstarter and missed out on this black and stripey color for my cat. It reminds me of a cat I had.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Human Revolution felt really weird to me because the levels all seemed extremely contrived to fit in the multiple paths in ways that were not convincing at all, like of course the sewers are a maze with electrical traps? Also the proportions of all the levels were always weird and inconsistent so they looked like Mario levels. And you had extreme fall damage so Jensen would literally die from dropping three feet, just so that it became worthwhile to buy the cyberlegs to jump the superhuman height of my dining room table. Also they gave you XP for sneaking by enemies, but then also gave you XP when you doubled back to take them out, which loving sucked for completionist/efficiency purposes

Disgusting Coward posted:

I liked punching out the entire world and stuffing them into air vents. Also that one aug where you could jump on people all electric and whatnot.

ALTHOUGH

When I played the original Deus Ex I was very very stoned and so when Maggie Chow turns out to have a secret cupboard full of evil MS13 guys and also the magic sword I felt very betrayed, because I had believed her when she claimed to have no knowledge of the sword's whereabouts so I responded by shooting her in the face, shooting her maid in the face, piling their corpses onto a sofa, lighting the sofa on fire and throwing it out the window. I then magic leg jumped across to Jock's apartment and took the elevator down to street level, where I found my viking sofa pyre had hit a pedestrian and killed them. When I went to the temple later one of the Luminous Tong guys was like "We are watching you. We know what you did" so I ended up being like "Oh poo poo they know about the couch" so I shot him and hid him, and then a kid saw me so I had to shoot the kid, and then half an hour later I had a corpse pile that was head-high and I realised that they probably say that no matter what the player does. I had slaughtered Hong Kong for naught. Can't get that kind of emergent gameplay nowadays.

Yeah, rip.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cats are the best and this cat RPG might be cool. Who will break first and play it for everyone?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Human Revolution had combat?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kennel posted:

I murdered everybody and got by fine *kisses exploding revolver*

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kennel posted:

It had the single most satisfying "canned animation melee prompts" I've ever seen. Shame that after every punch you throw you have to eat a snickers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Det_no posted:

I unironically feel bad that I missed the cat game kickstarter and missed out on this black and stripey color for my cat. It reminds me of a cat I had.

Don't worry friend, there are more good cats on the horizon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFs_JFQRxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-OZkGpRkM0

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wildtortilla posted:

Cats are the best and this cat RPG might be cool. Who will break first and play it for everyone?

I'll probably pick it up if the Humble bundle this month is bad - just a few hours to find out, and then I'll probably talk myself into getting the cat rpg anyways. :v:

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Mordja posted:

I swear, goons have this anti-nostalgia thing going on where any popular game that ages past a certain threshold is suddenly bad and was always considered to be bad. Most people saw HR as a strong return to form, whose only major negatives were its boss fights and the fact that the original Deus Ex has achieved near-mythical status that no sequel can hope to match.

I also recall this. I, too, recall some goons even saying that Deus Ex 2 "wasn't actually all that bad, either"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When there are like 25 posters left on this forum two people saying "actually Deus Ex HR was bad" in a row can appear to be statistically significant.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow when did the forum see a registration boom

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Deakul posted:

It is you that is incorrect, that playable leak solidified the game as an insta-buy for many many people including myself.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Deakul posted:

It is you that is incorrect, that playable leak solidified the game as an insta-buy for many many people including myself.

Same

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I quoted the wrong person, leading to confusion. Now I must fall upon my sword

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got a key the other day from an indie dev for their game Cleansuit, a text parser horror adventure about being stalked through your house by a serial killer. It's got a neat retro aesthetic and some really funny writing, and while it's not a long game it's got a bunch of endings to puzzle out. It's also just $4, and definitely worth it for a few hours of fun.

Let’s assume for a second that you’re home alone one evening, and a killer comes to your door. No, don’t get up and look, brainstorm with me. How would you survive the night? Call the police? Craft an ingenious trap? Hide and pray? Cleansuit gives you the opportunity to test your wits against just such a villain, with a house full of items to combine and use in your bid for survival. And not content to leave it at that, this stylish horror adventure presents it with a thick layer of off-beat humor and unique retro aesthetics.

All alone in your unimpressive home one night, a knock comes at the door. A peek at your visitor reveals a maniac in a cleansuit, intent on sullying it with your blood. You only have so long before he finds a way into the house and your entrails, and in that time you have to find a way to survive. It might be through a phone call, or using household items, or have something to do with those trophies in your room, but you’ve got to do something before this becomes your last night on Earth. Creativity and experimentation are key here, and the chosen interface is perfect for allowing you to flex your mental muscles.

This creepy little romp is a text parser adventure, one more in the vein of the true classics than a modern revival like Stories Untold. The entire interface is text-driven with simple commands like “go upstairs” or “take knife” or “drink bleach”, plenty direct enough even for those new to the format. Each room is filled with details described with the “look” command, which you can then focus further on and interact with. Your living room, for example, has a door, window, chair, table, fireplace, painting, and bookshelf to fiddle with, each containing their own items and secrets. Expanding that across ten or so rooms gives you a remarkable amount of material to work with.

You’ll need to poke at everything, too, because not only is survival a challenge, it’s an open-ended one. There are about a dozen different ways to outwith your murderous nemesis, ranging from panicked escapes to devious counterattacks. The many items laying around the house are clues to your options, and the text parser allows for an impressive amount of commands and combinations in making use of them. For the most part you’ll be able to see where a solution is going, like with the workbench in the basement that very clearly is set up for tinkering traps. The text descriptions are concise but contain very useful information for guiding your brainstorms to the right conclusions.

The text isn’t just practical, either. Cleansuit clearly takes inspiration from some lighter titles in the adventure genre to liven up its descriptions. Your imperiled avatar is pretty clearly a lonely, nerdy lump from the goofy descriptions of his strange art tastes, barren kitchen, and lacking physique. The robust interactions are also rounded out with plenty of humorous red herrings, like turning up rugs or trying to use the toilet. There’s a load of charm here that entertains without detracting too much from the genuine horror of being stalked through your home. One more than one occasion my chuckles at the writing were cut off by a gasp at the killer’s sudden appearance.

Adding to the off-beat atmosphere is the unique look of the game, a sort of digital corruption over simple 3D models that gives it the feel of a nightmare Dire Straits music video. The music is another big stand-out, a synth-heavy selection of moody and oppressive tracks cued off of the killer’s movements and your approaching demise. There’s plenty of fun to be had just drinking in the aesthetic of the game as you search rooms and puzzle out solutions. And death need not be a downer because once you know how everything is situated, you can jump straight to the key commands instead of looking at it all first. It took me nearly an hour to puzzle out half of the solutions, so it’s not going to last you forever but I don’t think it needs to. Cleansuit is a charming, clever take on the text parser genre, combining enough humor and horror to entertain through plenty of slaughters and successes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

I quoted the wrong person, leading to confusion. Now I must fall upon my sword

can i have the sword when you're done. it's a nice sword

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Givin posted:

People still defend Alpha Protocol to the death and I'd easily classify it in the same overrated category as Human Revolution. Different strokes and all that. It's alright to like or dislike video games other people feel the opposite about. The hivemind here forgets that a lot.

I forgot to cancel my Humble Monthly after last months shitshow and now setting myself up for more disappointment in 3 hours with this H1Z1 bundle unlocks.

Same. I’m predicting good unlocks that I’ll never play though.

I really need to cancel this thing because I play a few hours of video games a month

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

can i have the sword when you're done. it's a nice sword

sorry but i need it to help defend the cat town

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Another Humble Bundle XMAS bundle

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

sorry but i need it to help defend the cat town

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

I'd rather throw my money into the loving trash, what an incredibly lovely bundle

The next group of games better be loving amazing because Rust is maybe one of the worst EA scams out there since dayZ

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The $35 all goes to charity, and you get a game every day this month, but recent bundles don't really inspire much hope that it will be worth it aside from the charity element. You'd think they'd put something decent in the first batch to tempt people, if they had anything good planned.

QUBE is an OK first person puzzler but it's certainly not worth $35.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

If it's anything like last year's the mystery games are going to be trash

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, Humble did exactly the same thing last year and it really sucked.

e: f; b.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dungeon of the Endless is insanely good, but not 35$ good.

And yep, last year's XMAS bundle was also trash.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of QUBE has anyone played it since that Director's Cut that apparently added more plot came out a while ago? I've always been mildly curious if its worth going back to now that I've probably forgotten how to solve all of the puzzles.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Any thoughts on Seven? I like the idea of a cyberpunk stealth game written by a witcher 3 dude... But if the controls suck, that will not be any good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thanks for the heads up on that DOOM sale, I avoided thinking about that game because I didn't feel like spending full price. If nothing else, the music is incredibly badass from what I've listened to so far.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

buglord posted:

any tips for deus ex hr directors cut? im hateplaying it just to get it out of the way..

Life is too short to play things you don't like.

Also why don't you like a good game?

StrixNebulosa posted:

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

Those mystery games better be loving amazing for that to be the start.

strategery fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 1, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Givin posted:

Alpha Protocol certainly isn't overrated unless the definition of overrated changed in the last 7 years.

But yes, it's all confirmation bias. There are a handful of people who regularly talk about AP on the forums so if it seems overrated it's because you're reading posts from the same dudes. Literally nobody else talks about AP except when Obsidian announces a new game and a filler article goes up with the headline "what could have been..."

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dungeon of the Endless owns at least

Garry’s Mod can be fun but who the hell doesn’t own Garry’s Mod at this point

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

boot hill heroes part 2 is coming out after all, with a new name, and not the greatest looking character art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjiwJV_x4E

but most importantly, more SNES music from Virt

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

boot hill heroes part 2 is coming out after all, with a new name, and not the greatest looking character art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjiwJV_x4E

but most importantly, more SNES music from Virt

Ew it looks like a fangame. Like one of those RPG maker sequels to Earthbound that uses assets from the SNES game but the few original characters are drawn off model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Ok drat, the new Humble Monthly early unlocks are Long Dark, Quantum Break and Dawn of War 3.

Dannnng.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/

And the addon of the previous one are Rivals of Aether, Strafe, a Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend, NEX MACHINA, Sexy Brutale, Passpartout, and Way of the Passive fist.

Holy poo poo h1z1 was a bad early unlock but the rest is pretty much incredible