Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

oddium posted:

i only read like five of the posts but what is there to fix

Forming England removing province from the hre even as emperor?

Really the core of this, even just as the ottoman they could manage everything up to becoming Coptic emperor, it's just the fast revoke after that which is based on an exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, every other formable nation that removes your cores from the empire doesn't do so if you're the emperor, specifically to prevent you from getting a massive surge of authority when you re-add them.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Stopped playing a little after MoH came out. I own all the important expansions. Is the new one worth the 20 bucks if I'm looking to get back into this?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Stopped playing a little after MoH came out. I own all the important expansions. Is the new one worth the 20 bucks if I'm looking to get back into this?

It's alright if you're going to play a Muslim nation. Not worth $20 though imo.

edit: the paid features are basically

-Army Professionalism/Drill which is decent but not game-breaking if you don't have it. It's totally unrelated to Army Tradition, somehow. Basically makes your troops slightly better in exchange for higher maintenance and not using mercs.
-Trade policies which are minor bonuses you can pick from when you have a merchant in a node.
-A ton of changes to Muslim government forms and Piety, plus the addition of religious schools.

If $20 isn't a big deal for you and you're going to play a Muslim nation, go for it. Otherwise the paid changes are pretty minor, they just give you some bonuses but don't change gameplay or strategy significantly.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 1, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Groogy posted:

We already have a topic decided for the next dev diary but maybe in the near future.

Is it "This percentage of users quit after their first loss"?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey, in my Papal game Ming only tribrutalized their neighbors. :toot:
Except for Korea, who are halfdead after Ming and Japan took a lot of land from them. No idea how or when it happened. But Japan currently have the mission to conquer Korea but they are also guaranteeing Korea's independence for some reason which means they might've gone full tsundere.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just completed my "Protect the Secret" game. As Yemen, I was going for "Protect the Secret" along with "Arabian Coffee" as a bonus. It was easier than I expected to make sure that Europe never got any coffee in Africa and Asia, but this was largely due to Spain making GBS threads the bed for the first two centuries of the game. England got complete control of Portugal somehow. I think they conquered them, because when it happened it was too soon for integrating from a Personal Union. England even had North African holdings for a while and WON the hundred year's war. They slowly declined over the following centuries, but the damage was done and it took like forty years for the Colonialism institution to pop off. It also seemed easier to make friends with the Ottos than in other games I've played in the region--usually, the Ottos would eventually freak the gently caress out if you conquered Egypt, but I was able to head them off at Jerusalem and they were just fine with it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, every other formable nation that removes your cores from the empire doesn't do so if you're the emperor, specifically to prevent you from getting a massive surge of authority when you re-add them.

Is there some reason forming England still does that? Or just that they forgot to add that line to the decision?

Mr. Fowl posted:

England got complete control of Portugal somehow. I think they conquered them, because when it happened it was too soon for integrating from a Personal Union.

If you're actually curious you can check the history file for the Portuguese provinces, see if they all cored to England on the same day. It's possible England just inherited Portugal outright; it's rare, but I think it's still possible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Inheritance in a personal union can definitely happen on monarch death, there’s a fixed chance for it which scales with country size and maybe a couple other variables. You still need to have had the PU for at least 50 years though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's a perpetual cycle that countries go through that determines what happens with the "top" royal marriage if the country dies without an heir. it's Foreign Dynasty on Throne - > Personal Union -> Straight Up Inheritance. the last two obvs have waaaay smaller windows than just Dynasty on Throne and a bunch of stuff advances or resets the cycle. it's not very well documented

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Is there some reason forming England still does that? Or just that they forgot to add that line to the decision?

Yeah probably, which is why people are saying it's going to be fixed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just completed my "Protect the Secret" game.

How do the Yemeni coffee events work?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hello groogy if you want to fix 1700+ please remove the reputation sabotaged and discontent sown. it sucks to perpetually be at -2 unrest and -3 (!!!!) dip rep

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
but I like discontent sown :(
Used it a lot in MP

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Going for Prince of Egypt, seems to be going ok - just wondering if it's any easier as a monarchy (i.e. tanking Republican Tradition till despotism -> monarchy), or if Republic is fine. Mostly due to getting more diplomatic relations, more diplomats, possibilities of PUs...

Actually, achievement says "starting as Florence", so could I go Tuscany->Italy and then Egypt?

Also, it's a funny game - Great Britain (which formed late 1400s) spawned colonialism, their only neighbours hate them (Burgundy and France), Portugal is dead and Castile hasn't taken Exploration - it is now 1540s and no one else has Colonialism yet; not a single province outside of Great Britain has any percentage progress.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Groogy posted:

Used it a lot in MP

i need that dip rep my dude

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

canepazzo posted:

Going for Prince of Egypt, seems to be going ok - just wondering if it's any easier as a monarchy (i.e. tanking Republican Tradition till despotism -> monarchy), or if Republic is fine. Mostly due to getting more diplomatic relations, more diplomats, possibilities of PUs...

Actually, achievement says "starting as Florence", so could I go Tuscany->Italy and then Egypt?

Also, it's a funny game - Great Britain (which formed late 1400s) spawned colonialism, their only neighbours hate them (Burgundy and France), Portugal is dead and Castile hasn't taken Exploration - it is now 1540s and no one else has Colonialism yet; not a single province outside of Great Britain has any percentage progress.

Thanks for reminding me I need to try and figure out the easiest way to do a Shia (or Ibadi) republic game. I guess I could always do a custom nation. The 0.5% Republic Tradition bonus is huge.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally managed to kick France out of Italy. It only took until I had the imperialism CB so I could declare on a West African nation who called in France to help. Manger de la merde et mourir you elan bastards! Not so fun now that I have the upper hand is it?

Groogy posted:

Used it a lot in MP
It's worthless in SP, I've been throwing it against the Ottomans over and over but it doesn't have any effect. Neither does supporting rebels, even the close to 3000 option for particulars. :(

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Groogy posted:

Used it a lot in MP

It would be cool if the AI didn't literally spam you with it the second it expires. From the very moment it gets unlocked, you're guaranteed to be at +2 unrest until 1821 since your rivals have robot memory and instant reactions, and that's... sort of lazy

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just saved a Yemen game by becoming a Ming tributary, somehow that coalition isn't attacking me now. loving dumb, but at least I can eat up everything in the spice islands now.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I decided to hop back into Castille after not playing the game for a couple of years and wow the experience has dramatically changed for me. There are some things I am wondering about at this point (for reference I have Common Sense/Art of War/Cradle/Res Publica/El Darado):

1. It felt prudent, given Aragons rivalry to me, to ensure Portugal and France were allies, ensuring I didn't have to ever deal with them and to not get caught on a two front war. What was a massive issue however was having to deal with money problems from having replenish troops from those wars. Is this simply a matter of not picking allies who'll drag you into dumb poo poo or just staying relatively passive?

2. Is there any good general rule for when you want to tech up vs spend points on development/harsh treatment etc. This is something I've forgotten , particularly given the slew of updates.

3. I often find myself having one or two diplomats just lying around with nothing to do, after the initial construction of alliances and such. Is there anything good for them to always be doing?

4. It's always been a good idea to turn down troop/ship maint where possible but does this also apply to forts? I find myself mixed on this as I had a really bad run when it came to various rebels, meaning I was losing a lot of money but at the same time, having to keep troops and forts up.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SkySteak posted:

So I decided to hop back into Castille after not playing the game for a couple of years and wow the experience has dramatically changed for me. There are some things I am wondering about at this point (for reference I have Common Sense/Art of War/Cradle/Res Publica/El Darado):

1. It felt prudent, given Aragons rivalry to me, to ensure Portugal and France were allies, ensuring I didn't have to ever deal with them and to not get caught on a two front war. What was a massive issue however was having to deal with money problems from having replenish troops from those wars. Is this simply a matter of not picking allies who'll drag you into dumb poo poo or just staying relatively passive?

2. Is there any good general rule for when you want to tech up vs spend points on development/harsh treatment etc. This is something I've forgotten , particularly given the slew of updates.

3. I often find myself having one or two diplomats just lying around with nothing to do, after the initial construction of alliances and such. Is there anything good for them to always be doing?

4. It's always been a good idea to turn down troop/ship maint where possible but does this also apply to forts? I find myself mixed on this as I had a really bad run when it came to various rebels, meaning I was losing a lot of money but at the same time, having to keep troops and forts up.

1. Just join the war and then not actually do any fighting

2. You want to keep military up to date the rest you can save up for big neighbor bonus discounts

3. Fabricate claims or improve relations with people who might coalition you

4. Turn forts off unless you are about to go to war or there are nearby rebels at 90%

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1. You're going to have to deal with France no matter what as Castile, so allying them is really only a short term benefit. You also don't actually have to help in a war as long as you answer the call to arms, so if you're losing a bunch of money and manpower from helping your allies... just don't.

2. Tech is almost always better than development, especially military tech. If you can buy a tech level and you're not paying ahead of time penalties, it's usually a good idea to do it. Buying a mil tech level ahead of time can also give you a huge advantage for certain levels (ones that give you tactics, morale, or new unit types). Harsh treatment is a terrible use of monarch points outside of using it to farm absolutism. There are much better ways of dealing with rebels that don't cost MP.

3. Forging claims is generally the best thing to do with idle diplomats in the early game, and improving relations with outraged countries as you transition to the midgame. But honestly, I leave my diplomats idle most of the time too.

4. If you can afford it you should always keep your forts at full maintenance, because that gives you army tradition, which makes your troops fight better. Of course if you need to save money, just mothball them in places where you aren't going to need them. Use your head, don't mothball them in provinces where rebels are about to revolts or on borders with your rivals.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Any word on fixing the event bug? It's been in the game since release and rehosting MP games every hour to fix it is getting pretty frustrating.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for the general advice. I also wanted to ask, as this was particularly important:

If you can physically afford it, is it a good idea to get an adviser, even if it isn't one immediately relevant to what you're doing? Like is an adviser that increases fort defence useful for mill score, even if you're never going to need those features?

I speak as someone who did the first 56 years of Castille and one thing I found is that with forts utterly mothballed, along with military expenses cut, I could make 6 gold per turn while having three basic advisers.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for the general advice. I also wanted to ask, as this was particularly important:

If you can physically afford it, is it a good idea to get an adviser, even if it isn't one immediately relevant to what you're doing? Like is an adviser that increases fort defence useful for mill score, even if you're never going to need those features?

I speak as someone who did the first 56 years of Castille and one thing I found is that with forts utterly mothballed, along with military expenses cut, I could make 6 gold per turn while having three basic advisers.

yes, MP are the most important income you have, a low-value adviser is better than none

especially as Castile since your starting ruler is garbage

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2017

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Its also okay to destroy forts you don't think you need, especially as you expand and conquer fort provinces from your enemies.

Also, if you have the relevant dlc, dumping your heir as Castille is mandatory for me. (increases the chance of getting a female heir which can help with iberian wedding firing.)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Buy advisors for the monarch points. Their bonuses are secondary.

Mostly, anyway. There are some situations where you genuinely want the bonuses, like missionary strength or morale/discipline. But them not having that shouldn't hold you back from getting an advisor.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The tax increase/trade power increase advisors might as well just be monarch points with a discount.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Koramei posted:

Mostly, anyway. There are some situations where you genuinely want the bonuses, like missionary strength or morale/discipline.

A +20% colony range advisor helped me get that Portuguese achievement where you have to get to India and Indonesia by 1500 over 10 years ahead of the deadline. For example.

+1 diplomatic reputation is also often very useful.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Unrest / tax / missionary str
relations / dip rep / spy network / trade power
morale / discipline

Those are the good ones you should look out for. If you're conquering and converting lots the missionary strenght one might get you more money than the tax one, due to shorter missionary times.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

+20% improved relations help burn off AE a little bit faster. :)
I'm kinda sad there isn't a +5% sailor advisor though. Imagine how useful it would be.

Drilling is such a pain. It takes years for my brand new troops to become trained at fighting but as soon as they get any real actual combat experience they unlearn everything and become dumb scrubs. It's only good for one battle and not even that if you run into any attrition whatsoever. Hell just shipping your troops somewhere makes them lose effectiveness unless of course you send them on the first of a month and the trip doesn't take more than 30 days. I'm not claiming to be an expert on historical warfare but weren't the hardened veterans usually better at fighting than the fresh recruits? But at least the bonus from high professionalism is nice.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 2, 2017

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The mistake of going through with the Moorish Exodus (without knowing the consequence) right as the Castillian Civil War has got to be the worst rebel combination I've ever seen. Along with some misc autonomy rebels, I couldn't quite unsiege things fast enough and I ended up actually breaking as Castille. Considering now I have literally lost all of Grenada and claims, is this (as it's an irongame) something restart worthy?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No. There aren't many situations in the game that are truly restart worthy.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've been broken by rebels twice in my current game and am staving off bankruptcy by debasing currency every few year and am near 20 corruption to maintain my armies in the hopes that i can war good enough to make enough money to pay off my extensive debt.

It's actually pretty exciting, so I'm enjoying it even though I maybe should have just restarted 30 years ago.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the wise Raja bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between india & germany. you imbecile. you moron"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Army professionalism and drilling is a dumb, uninteresting mechanic that is basically an attention tax on the player.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oddium posted:

the wise Raja bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between india & germany. you imbecile. you moron"

Nice. That looks like one of the harder ones to pull off

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

Army professionalism and drilling is a dumb, uninteresting mechanic that is basically an attention tax on the player.

Same can be said about estates, but people rave on about estates because they can get 50MP every 20 years if you remember to do it - and yeah I know it can be 100MP but they have to be loyal AND influential which either you have not much control over, or you have to pay some way or another to get

I dislike estates and like army professionalism because I feel having better troops (even if it's just for a couple fights), a chance to improve generals, discounted generals (25MP generals are the best thing, you can just reroll them until you get a crazy good one) and various other military buffs much better than 50MP or discounted advisors every 20 years since money is rarely a problem beyond early game if you know what you're doing and are not playing an OPM or something.

To each his own I guess :)

Also, Ottomans might have been slightly nerfed, but boy are they still good - also consider that for some kind of bug (I guess) the reformation didn't even start until 1600 and literally all CoR both Protestant and Reformed spawned in Ireland and Scotland so mainland Europe was all catholic all the time, meaning that Austria and the HRE never went through a single moment of weakness (look at that Bohemia :stare: ) :

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool.

In my current and previous game all reformation centers spawned inside Germany so it caused a lot of religious chaos and started the big war. Usually half of them spawn in Scandinavia and the British Isles so they don't accomplish much.