Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
all the wily stages are bad except the one with the magnets gimmick imho. which is real funny since the judges who made them kept doing the same thing they were complaining about the past 81 (?) entries.

stages too long, too punishing, uninteresting visuals, overstay their welcome, wide jumps, enemy spam, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the boss of wily 5 (I think) was extremely cool

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Wily 1 was pretty cool, but it got a bit difficult at times. Still, it was a good level, and the boss was a bunch of fun.

Wily 2 was mostly just bland with some tricky segments. I didn't like that last section up to the boss with all the spikes. It just felt so bland and boring, more than anything.

Wily 3 was probably the best overall of the fortress stages. The lever gimmick was good. It had some tricky parts, but wasn't too difficult and didn't overstay it's welcome. Boss was a bunch of fun.

Wily 4 is The Worst. There's worse levels in this game, but this was drat atrocious.

Wily 5 was really good, with Seven Force being one of the best bosses in the game.

Wily 6 is really good overall, but it's loooooooooooooooong.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah that gunstar heroes homage blew me away, it's one of the coolest things I've seen done with the engine.
The final maze level kinda lost me over time because it started putting up barriers that you had to backtrack around in roundabout ways and the result of mashing up a lot of stages from a contest is that it ends up feeling very uneven in quality and there aren't enough checkpoints either. Same with the optional second mash-up level, some of the sections of that were just really buggy and horribly designed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Might as well give my two cents. Not going to focus on bosses, not going to go into too much detail:

Wily 0 is basically a different game, so it's hard for me to evaluate. The randomized enemies were a bit awkward.

Wily 1 has really excellent escalation and conveyance- elements were introduced one at a time and gradually combined to teach new behaviors. That said, it just kept getting harder- it'd have worked better as the final stage, especially given its theme.

Wily 2 was just reliant on some mechanical assumptions that didn't match other stages well. The key part was especially strange. Something of a slog.

Wily 3 was enjoyable. I feel as if the switch mechanic could use more complete and consistent development- a number of rooms were one-off uses, where I'd like to have seen a clearer sense of progression or escalation. Going for the no damage challenge? Use this stage.

Wily 4 is..well, several things happened together here. First, it assumes knowledge of all sorts of mechanical tricks that players have no way of knowing or learning from the stage, the worst in my case being the "fire super arrow while in the first part of a jump and land on it at the same time" trick. Second, each section goes on for a considerable margin further than it needs to. The most egregious of these is the wheel cutter, just for transitioning the player onto another screen, then surprise! More death. Third, navigation wasn't well planned out, with optional areas and the main route not clearly marked. I had to run the stage 4 times to find all the nickels, simply because I didn't understand the side room mechanic by the vertical gate, nor the "go left" at the start, nor the execrable triple path teleporter. Finally and most importantly, most of these mechanics didn't need to be taught with instadeath- but that's all they are. ever. Always. Super arrow is the biggest offender, but the jewel shield blind drop segment also deserves credit here. By contrast, Hardocre Parkour, a later level, also has problems with its conveyance and massive overuse of instadeath, but it at least has frequent checkpoints and tries to communicate techniques to the player.

...It doesn't help all of this that the maker of this level was consistently the most negative and least informative or specific in his judgements - lots of "level design was good/bad". I cringed rereading his intro, where he said his primary criterion of evaluation was "fun factor".

Wily 5...there's a reason ACESpark is coming back as a judge in the next entry in the series. Dude's just able to do a lot of stuff with the engine, and that ultimately helps. Plus, y'know, really good at level design. I personally didn't like the inclusion of the magnets in the boss fight, they seemed like a separate gimmick.

Wily 6 had a ton of implementation issues for me, including that crash bug, so I can't really evaluate it clearly. Some of the "hub" areas weren't properly designed to be navigated from either direction. As with almost all of the fortress stages, it assumes player knowledge of the entry stages that players may not have, which is a significant issue.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inti Creates news:

Blaster Master Zero (Switch version only) is getting a local two-player battle mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_wY8DA97w

The retail version of Gunvolt Striker Pack for Switch came out in NA today - it's the first two games in 60FPS with all DLC, full translation, UI/display changes, system changes for the original game, etc, $40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFFtTK_5Svc

Fangamer's putting out a Gunvolt shirt:
https://twitter.com/IntiCreatesEN/status/933159364432560128

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm sad that pc probably won't get the gunvolt striker pack or any of the gv1 improvements cause steam's sunk itself as a good platform for smaller companies while the switch is totally dominating that space

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They kinda sunk the viability of the Steam version on their own, by releasing the port in such a crappy state.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah that was the first game I refunded.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So I almost have all the items with Call in Mighty Gunvolt Burst, but I can't seem to reach this one with her. Her hover doesn't get high enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

So I almost have all the items with Call in Mighty Gunvolt Burst, but I can't seem to reach this one with her. Her hover doesn't get high enough.

Call has two aerial actions (but you can only have one equipped at a time), switch to her air dash and jump from the platform on the left.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Mega Man 30th anniversary live stream December 4th
Probably be a whole lot of nothing. What ever happened to that cartoon anyway?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

Mega Man 30th anniversary live stream December 4th
Probably be a whole lot of nothing. What ever happened to that cartoon anyway?

Delayed until next year.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Capcom is doing their best to build up buzz as if this will be a new game or something, but anyone who would care is all "we won't get fooled again - it'll be an iphone port of Mega Man 1-3 bundle or something".

The biggest optimist in me says Mega Man X Collection with X1-6 but doubt it. Mega Man 11, mayyyybe but that still sounds like too much work. Anything Legends or Zero/ZX, no chance.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I swear it's exactly the same stuff they sent around for the 25th. Why even bother mentioning it if the franchise is obviously dead?

I think they're just trying to remind everyone that Mega Man exists since they must have some investment in the delayed cartoon still.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Electromax posted:

Capcom is doing their best to build up buzz as if this will be a new game or something, but anyone who would care is all "we won't get fooled again - it'll be an iphone port of Mega Man 1-3 bundle or something".

The biggest optimist in me says Mega Man X Collection with X1-6 but doubt it. Mega Man 11, mayyyybe but that still sounds like too much work. Anything Legends or Zero/ZX, no chance.

Mega Man X Collection is my only hope. But most likely it'll just be X1-X3 and then a second collection will come out in 2.5 years with X4-X6 and the rest of the games will never be acknowledged.

Or translated Mega Man & Bass (SNES) DLC for the Legacy Collection 2. Though, that's a real loving pipedream.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stopping at X6 would be for the best anyway

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RockBoard but it's a phone game driven by microtransactions

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
"So hey, guess what! We're bringing back Xover! We know you're all so excited!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Airspace posted:

"So hey, guess what! We're bringing back Xover! We know you're all so excited!"

I think a new phone game might be a real possibility.

Gatcha's are good money and Mega Man is a brand that exists.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i want the xover pimp coat in a real game

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They'll announce some merchendise that their loyal fans will buy and maybe something about the upcoming cartoon.

Mega Man's deader than disco.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Battle Network Collection

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

XavierGenisi posted:

Battle Network Collection

A cyber monkey's paw curls a cyber finger, and every game has been dubbed over with the voice acting from Double Team.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You say that like that’s a bad thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
LET'S DO IT, LAAAN

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Star Man posted:

They'll announce some merchendise that their loyal fans will buy and maybe something about the upcoming cartoon.

Mega Man's deader than disco.

Disco at least has revivals now and again and competent people using it as an influence. Megaman's been so poorly handled that I don't even want it to come back.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Screaming Idiot posted:

Disco at least has revivals now and again and competent people using it as an influence. Megaman's been so poorly handled that I don't even want it to come back.

Hence Mega Man is deader than disco.

Because I have to explain it to you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
No joke a Battle Network Gacha game where you roll characters to use and it plays the same as the GBA games would get me plunking down 20$

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Star Man posted:

Hence Mega Man is deader than disco.

Because I have to explain it to you.

I was agreeing with you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheKingofSprings posted:

No joke a Battle Network Gacha game where you roll characters to use and it plays the same as the GBA games would get me plunking down 20$

Battle Network already had gacha with the Chip Traders!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress are you saying about Mighty Gunvolt Burst?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Meh MGB was lukewarm for me. I hated customizing my own bullets personally, as well as retreading stages to unlock said customization options. Also, leveling up and wrecking the difficulty curve halfway through kinda seemed like bad design (yes I know I can limit my bullets and their CP as much as I'd like but now you have an even shallower game whose main gimmick you just disabled)

The boss battles were neat though

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Sakurazuka posted:

Stopping after X4 would be for the best anyway

Guys, the announcement is obviously Battle Chip Challenge 2.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 2, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you are doing x4 you have to do 5 and 6. Its a single era. But who in their right mind would buy 7, 8, and command mission. Two lukewarm games and a turd.

A battle network collection could be really cool but I don't know if I want to support a battle network revival in this world where they could bring it back with microtransactions and random packs.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd at least enjoy a decent accessible way to play X8. I've always heard it's decent enough but never had a chance to play it. And I just don't care enough to go looking for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

A battle network collection could be really cool but I don't know if I want to support a battle network revival in this world where they could bring it back with microtransactions and random packs.

They could even possibly port and translate the two Japan-only cellphone titles as part of it as well, though that would require extra effort on Capcom's part so I doubt that's gonna happen.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dabir posted:

gently caress are you saying about Mighty Gunvolt Burst?

That it's not a Megaman game, isn't as good as the Megaman games, and that Star Man is absolutely correct.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A Battle Network collection would be awesome on the condition that the cut content was added back in for the international release and some things were changed so that you weren't required to trade with another player or need the Boktai games to unlock content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd at least enjoy a decent accessible way to play X8. I've always heard it's decent enough but never had a chance to play it. And I just don't care enough to go looking for it.

X8 isn't bad in the way that X7 is but two of its maverick stages are garbo ride armour auto scrollers so there's that.