Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Forgot to mention Ronin, Maus and Persepolis as well. You could also through in some Eisner stuff if you want as it is always great to have Eisner in a collection, but I don't think those will get taken out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of those have nudity, if that’s an issue for your library.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't think there's anything in March that a reasonably mature and intelligent 12-13 year old couldn't handle but maybe I'm misremembering. There is harrowing and difficult material for sure but it's stuff that's important for kids to learn about.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduke posted:

I don't think there's anything in March that a reasonably mature and intelligent 12-13 year old couldn't handle but maybe I'm misremembering. There is harrowing and difficult material for sure but it's stuff that's important for kids to learn about.

I would put March up there with Maus and Perepolis as a must read biography, though I think those titles might be better appreciated by about 16 and older (especially persepolis which might resonate with teens reading it)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlmightyBob posted:

The very first volume of Sandman has some pretty hosed up stuff if we're talking about comics for kids here

It's on the older end of the age range he was asking about, but it's well within it.

Actually, thinking about it more, depending on the 11 year old, Sandman is completely fine. Obviously every kid is different, but they're pretty smart and able to deal with some heavy poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Our library separates the kids, superheroes/indie, adult/underground and manga on different shelves, but they're all in the same area/reading space, so I like to imagine kids getting ambitious and graduating up, or at least just looking for nudity. The 'underground' selection (no idea what they actually call it, but it's like Fantagraphics and odder) is surprisingly robust. Much better than any actual comic store around here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember reading some weird Moebius poo poo as a kid while looking for titties and coming away with the distinct feeling that it was not worth seeing the titties.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Our library separates the kids, superheroes/indie, adult/underground and manga on different shelves, but they're all in the same area/reading space, so I like to imagine kids getting ambitious and graduating up, or at least just looking for nudity. The 'underground' selection (no idea what they actually call it, but it's like Fantagraphics and odder) is surprisingly robust. Much better than any actual comic store around here.

The local library here does the same which can be a bit confusing as some titles are put in the "adult" section while some get put in the "young adult" section but you sometimes end up with titles like Blankets in the adult section and Punisher in the young adult section and such.
I work in a college library so all our graphic novels are kept together thankfully. It used to be that they were kept separately so stuff like Maus was kept with books about the Holocaust and such, but the librarians agreed that the graphic novels, despite subject, should all be kept together in their own special section.

Anyway, it is December, so who is making a new thread?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Madkal posted:

Anyway, it is December, so who is making a new thread?

If nobody has it by the time I get home I have the perfect stupid theme in mind.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not super comic related, but I just read about this weird feud Perlmutter is having with an eccentric Canadian millionaire over the management of the tennis courts at their la-di-da condo in Florida:
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/sh/og1dB3kAlj/harold-peerenboom-perlmutter-marvel-florida-feud/

The lawsuit part has been going since around 2011, and allegedly the Canadian (Peerenboom) has stolen Perlmutter's DNA for evidentiary reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I licensed out BSS for a December thread

• Locked thread