Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Speaking of steep sales and Doom 3, Fanatical (formerly BundleStars) is running a bundle deal on the Doom franchise. Ten bucks gets you Doom 2016(!!), Twenty gets you the rest of the series in the form of the Classic Complete package and BFG Edition).

Doom '16 for 10 bucks is right up my alley but uhh is this site legit? I've never heard of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I used to buy stuff from there quite often back when they where called bundlestars, never had any issues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

Doom '16 for 10 bucks is right up my alley but uhh is this site legit? I've never heard of it

Bundlestars is legit, yes, and their rebrand with no explanation didn't mean anything for their credibility.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh i hadn't heard of bundlestars either but thanks guys

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If they renamed themselves to get rid of "bundle", it can mean that they're going to want to sell single games too, and also that they'd like to build up their own brand instead of being confused with Humble Bundle. (Which is certainly what they sought initially, but they probably figure they don't need that crutch anymore.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

Tbh i hadn't heard of bundlestars either but thanks guys

For anyone wondering, if a site is listed on isthereanydeal.com then it will be legit. They stay away from those shady key reseller sites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bundlestars is/was actually pretty great; I'd find deals on there relatively frequently. Never had a problem. Haven't used the site since the new name, but I'd be surprised if they changed much more than that.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Keiya posted:

Valve's official advice is "don't". Like they straight up recommend hacking up Quake over using goldsrc.

Which is a shame because as far as I can tell no one's ever really hacked half-life style seamless level transitions into any of the quakes :(

Yeah there are things that are hidden outside the sdk and valve is never going to open source the game, turn back while you can. They straight up lost the licensing and source code package that they used to give to mod teams, like Sven coop, that wanted to distribute for free.

Mapping is cool though but has its own things to learn and obtuse issues to work around.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Going to give it a try now. It's looking really good.

I've been doing a bit of a cleanup of doom mods (old versions etc...) and keeping the ones I really enjoy to play like Samsara, Trailblazer, Guncaster and so.

Here's my list "keep this" so far:
Samsara
Trailblazer
Guncaster
D4T
Reelism
High Noon Drifter
Demonsteele
Simon's Destiny (Castlevania doom)

What other gameplay mods like these should I look for? I didn't try project brutality as I was kind of burned of BD but might give it a go.

Also, looking for something more "vanilla" that adds a bit of eye candy like beautiful doom (well, not vanilla 100% but you get what I mean), any suggestions?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
more Doom 3 questions: anyone used dhewm3?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

From my previous post I updated the "keep this" mod list to this:

code:
Samsara
Trailblazer
Guncaster
D4T
Reelism
High Noon Drifter
Demonsteele
-Pirate Doom
-Nazis! v2
-Meta Doom
-Juvenile Power Fantasy
-Metroid Dreadnought
-Project MSX v0.2a

*Less gameplay changing*
Lovely Doom
Beautiful Doom

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

site posted:

I know this is a longshot but my desktop is dead so I've been trying to do some gaming on my hella old Macbook and I was wondering if anyone's ever run across a ZDL type doom launcher for os x

From a few pages back, I just use Terminal and command-line options for single-player, and Doomseeker for multi-player. Up & down in Terminal move you through history, and ctrl-R enters a type-to-search mode.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Guillermus posted:

I've been doing a bit of a cleanup of doom mods (old versions etc...) and keeping the ones I really enjoy to play like Samsara, Trailblazer, Guncaster and so.

Samsara
Trailblazer
Guncaster
D4T
Reelism
High Noon Drifter
Demonsteele

What other gameplay mods like these should I look for? I didn't try project brutality as I was kind of burned of BD but might give it a go.

Also, looking for something more "vanilla" that adds a bit of eye candy like beautiful doom (well, not vanilla 100% but you get what I mean), any suggestions?

I'd add Final Doomer Plus, it has a few small bugs, but it's been pretty awesome with Plutonia so far.

Also, not a Doom thing, but Karnak is pretty awesome for Heretic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Dead Marine came out recently, and sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Samsara
Trailblazer
Guncaster
D4T
Reelism
High Noon Drifter
Demonsteele

I find anything by Retraux Squid is pretty good for non vanilla-vanilla gameplay. Here's the latest.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=56966

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Final Doomer Plus

The Kins posted:

Dead Marine came out recently, and sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Wamdoodle posted:

Perfected Doom

Added, added and added! going to give them a go today. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll update my list later.

Just a small thing. Previously, I just unzipped gzdoom and every wad/iwad/pk3 on the same folder and used ZDL to launch them but, can I just use a folder for GZDoom and pack every mod on their own folder so I keep a single, clean and organized gzdoom installation? I plan on making a big portable doom folder tree with several mods, maps and so. Looking like this:

Will this work?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Of course, you can use ZDL to load maps from anywhere on your HDD.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Neat! This way I can tidy my doom mods a bit and not having dozens of files everywhere.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Neat! This way I can tidy my doom mods a bit and not having dozens of files everywhere.

Argh, I need to tidy up my Doom folders too. I was good for a while but then I let it get out of hand.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Doom wad folders always look like the windows file equivalent of a junkyard anyway.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you want to organize stuff but still be able to launch whatever you'd like from command line, use environment variables to let source ports know where to look for stuff. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Environment_variables

So I could have Scythe 2 in games\doomwads\doom2 and my GZDoom installation in games\gzdoom, but still launch with a simple "gzdoom -file scythe2". You can also set file search paths in gzdoom.ini, but defining them with environment variables lets you just set it up once for all of your source ports.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you want to organize stuff but still be able to launch whatever you'd like from command line, use environment variables to let source ports know where to look for stuff. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Environment_variables

So I could have Scythe 2 in games\doomwads\doom2 and my GZDoom installation in games\gzdoom, but still launch with a simple "gzdoom -file scythe2". You can also set file search paths in gzdoom.ini, but defining them with environment variables lets you just set it up once for all of your source ports.
Yes, this is the pro option. I don’t let my I/PWADs touch my EXEs, that’s unsanitary.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Duke 3D: 20th Anniversary is $5 for the next 23 hours. Site is legit and gives a Steam key.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Continuing from last page, made a very quick "seamless map change" hack for Quake:
http://0x0.st/so0J.webm
It's missing lots of details, breaks in odd ways I haven't yet figured out, and isn't compatible with coop play at all. (What's a good solution to coop support for a thing like this?)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I'd always said I didn't want to pay more than $5 just to get a new episode of Duke 3D so this is perfect for me.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

nielsm posted:

Continuing from last page, made a very quick "seamless map change" hack for Quake:
http://0x0.st/so0J.webm
It's missing lots of details, breaks in odd ways I haven't yet figured out, and isn't compatible with coop play at all. (What's a good solution to coop support for a thing like this?)

You'd have to trigger the level change on touch of any player to the trigger. Make sure you're using the changelevel command and not the map command.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Perfected Doom posted:

Hitscanners converted to fire tracers instead of hitscan shots
Best feature right there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay here's a lovely kinda-working "seamless map transitions" mod for Quake: http://0x0.st/soDg.zip
I haven't figured out why it does weird things to the view angle and doesn't return it.
I also found an old thread (c. 2010) on InsideQC forums where someone had put map persistence into an engine. I think it might actually be available in FTE already, if you know what to enable.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
So Sikkmod in doom 3 gives me a ton of trouble if I try to use HBAO. Is there a better way to get better graphical effects in doom 3 other then Sikkmod? I'll edit this post with pictures when I get home to show what I'm talking about.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
If you guys haven't seen it, Final Doomer Plus lets you play with classes that are inspired by different map packs. Ranging from the everpresent Doom Marine to Back to Saturn's energy jamboree, to eclectic youkai hunting methods of the JP:CP protagonist, you've got a lot of gameplay variation.

Feels like Samsara without the classes needing to be based on individual franchises.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

If I already have the Megaton edition on Steam (no longer available), is this worth shelling out for? A few of the reviews seem to suggest it's not worth the upgrade.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chinook posted:

If I already have the Megaton edition on Steam (no longer available), is this worth shelling out for? A few of the reviews seem to suggest it's not worth the upgrade.

The new sound on World Tour version is terrible. You want to stay with the original sound, missing on the new lines recorded by Jon St John. New chapter is really cool and 5€ is a good pricepoint. I picked it on PSN because I own everything Duke in all platforms I own.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Chinook posted:

I enjoyed the new episode and the commentary was fun to listen to. If those are things that interest you I'd say it's worth it. Oh yeah, it also properly handles 4k resolution while the megaton edition doesn't. Of course, you can also just use a newer eduke release with the megaton edition if 4k is all you need.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

drat, I'll probably pick it up for the new episode. Thanks for the info.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
New ep seems good but holy poo poo what's with the weird mouse sensitivity, it's like there's a hidden smoothing setting that I can't disable and it feels terrible :(

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

This looks fantastic. I'm impressed at the quality and the heart put into it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For the next two days, Turok 75% and Turok 2 50% off on GOG.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Man, now I get all the hate for STRAFE. I'll still give it a fair shake now that I have it, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Dusk and others.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It was much worse at launch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

nielsm posted:

Okay here's a lovely kinda-working "seamless map transitions" mod for Quake: http://0x0.st/soDg.zip
I haven't figured out why it does weird things to the view angle and doesn't return it.
I also found an old thread (c. 2010) on InsideQC forums where someone had put map persistence into an engine. I think it might actually be available in FTE already, if you know what to enable.

In FTE (you can dump fteextensions.qc using pr_dumpplatform command, if you're not familiar with fteextensions.qc, it can be used as a drop in defs.qc replacement)

void(string mapname, optional string newmapstartspot) changelevel = #70; /*Attempts to change the map to the named map. If 'newmapstartspot' is specified, the state of the current map will be preserved, and the argument will be passed to the next map in the 'startspot' global, and the next map will be loaded from archived state if it was previously visited. If not specified, all archived map states will be purged. */

I asked about what it archives, and it's the state of all entities.