Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Its liked a timed hit in mario rpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna play as soon as I get home, how do you cancel the art, or is it really easy to figure out

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So this doof in the spandex diving bell’s gonna be our main character for the game huh
And the cat lady in the yellow pajamas has a voice for sure

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

eonwe posted:

im gonna play as soon as I get home, how do you cancel the art, or is it really easy to figure out

If an idiot like me can figure it out you'll be fine

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eonwe posted:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

During your auto-attack strings, you can cancel into an Art just as you're hitting the enemy for a boost in damage and elemental arts meter. The last hit in the auto-attack string produces the biggest bonus. i.e., Rex's thrust when using Pyra's sword.

Edit: When performed correctly, you’ll see a blue glowing circle spreading outward.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

If an idiot like me can figure it out you'll be fine

ty! I'm excited. I fell asleep last night while it was downloading. then I brought my switch to play on lunch and I didn't get a chance either

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I cant tell if I should be waiting for the third strike to cancel into an art every time or if I should unload my arts as they are available. Unloading arts asap would mean my supers charge up faster, right? Is that worth the damage loss from constantly cancelling just the first horizontal slash of the auto-attack chain?

Also, when the hell should I move from rear to side? I feel like I lose damage no matter what I do.

There aren't any training dummies in the game, are there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

I cant tell if I should be waiting for the third strike to cancel into an art every time or if I should unload my arts as they are available. Unloading arts asap would mean my supers charge up faster, right? Is that worth the damage loss from constantly cancelling just the first horizontal slash of the auto-attack chain?

Also, when the hell should I move from rear to side? I feel like I lose damage no matter what I do.

There aren't any training dummies in the game, are there?

You get more of a charge when doing it on the third strike. You want to minimize moving because everytime you move you have to restart the string. For side and back attacks, only move after that third strike. The damage bonus from attacking from the proper directions makes up for the DPS loss.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You get more of a charge when doing it on the third strike. You want to minimize moving because everytime you move you have to restart the string. For side and back attacks, only move after that third strike. The damage bonus from attacking from the proper directions makes up for the DPS loss.

Thank you, I appreciate both of these answers. I suppose even if I have to sit on fully charged arts for a little bit in order to guarantee third strike cancels, its likely made up for by the extra charge gain?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm playing this video game. It's good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GameXplain has a video out for combat. Warning though, minor party member spoiler I guess if you care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzCmHe8hnx4

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Dumb question but when should I press the button on triggers for best results like on salvaging and specials?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Dumb question but when should I press the button on triggers for best results like on salvaging and specials?

The lighter, opaque blue section. The first step is fast so you have to lead it a bit. Different salvaging points use different buttons.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The lighter, opaque blue section. The first step is fast so you have to lead it a bit. Different salvaging points use different buttons.

It seems like each salvage point uses the same buttons every time though, so if you want to go again to hit the QTEs better, you can.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So this doof in the spandex diving bell’s gonna be our main character for the game huh
And the cat lady in the yellow pajamas has a voice for sure

Nia has a normal speaking voice where I'm from. It's hilarious seeing people talk about it because if I heard her in a shop or a pub she'd blend in perfectly well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

cathead posted:

It seems like each salvage point uses the same buttons every time though, so if you want to go again to hit the QTEs better, you can.

Yep, I did notice that as well. But there was one in Gormott that caught me off guard when it popped up with the X button. :negative:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What should I know before I start

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Harlock posted:

What should I know before I start

Take screenshots of the tutorials if you desire.

Don't sell salvage items piecemeal. There are traders that will buy them in sets for way more money.

Game will start out slow and sort of railroad you in a direction for a bit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is handheld mode as bad as I hear it is?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Slime posted:

Nia has a normal speaking voice where I'm from. It's hilarious seeing people talk about it because if I heard her in a shop or a pub she'd blend in perfectly well.

Nia's voice is good but it's also not as cartoony as you would expect from a cat girl and while that's normally fine it does feel a little weird in the comic relief bits (like the scene where Rex tells her to watch her step around the rope).

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Played a couple hours apiece in handheld mode and docked: the only real difference I've noticed is on skinny props (bare trees, bars on railings, giraffe legs etc) that are a midrange distance from the PC. They get sorta pixelated and ugly in handheld mode but it's not a huge deal.

Also I just got jumped by a level 70 something Territorial Rotbert, this is definitely a Xenoblade game. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

tell me the music compares to the first game

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

tell me the music compares to the first game

Guitar riffs are still in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I want a scene of the characters commenting on Pyra’s bizarre, inscrutable accent

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rex having the body of a 10 year old, the voice of an adult Oirishman and the name of a dog is weirding me out.

Calaveron posted:

I want a scene of the characters commenting on Pyra’s bizarre, inscrutable accent

She's a 14 year old American girl who is so over all of this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I enjoy that you get immediately get wrapped up in a Nopon insurance fraud scheme.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Does the combat ever speed up it feels like most of the time I'm standing there watching the slowest autoattacks ever then once in a while I can do an art. Even stuff like falling over and getting up feel like they are going at half speed. Coming from like tales or ff15 this just feels so sluggish I'd rather it be turn based.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Game is cool, I just wish Pyra was as proactive in battles as she was in the cutscenes :sigh:

I'm just out of the prologue, but yeah, I'm not seeing the "simpering" I saw mentioned in one review so far.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Handheld mode is good, Nia has a cool accent.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I started playing it in Japanese then switched over to English. Thought the voices being oddly mismatched to what I expect them to sound like enhances the experience. Knew I made correct choice after rex's first heheeeeeyyy

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

she's a 14 year old American girl who is so over all of this.

Early on she legit sounded like Taylor Swift to me and I'm sticking to that now

Game good. Animes good. Don't really know what I'm doing much with combat combos and such but I really like it so far. The VA is nowhere as bad as I expected and is actually pretty good imo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anyone else thinks its hosed up that the one guy calls Rex a "little poo poo" in a Nintendo game. 2017 keeps em coming....

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Anyone else thinks its hosed up that the one guy calls Rex a "little poo poo" in a Nintendo game. 2017 keeps em coming....

Rated T for Teen.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Gramps owns

That is all

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
does he poo poo in rex's hat

and then rex wears the hat

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mabels big day posted:

One of my favorite gaming moments is in SMT IV when the heroes are making some generic threats to the villain and he just says "Blow me, kid."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

One of my favorite gaming moments is in SMT IV when the heroes are making some generic threats to the villain and he just says "Blow me, kid."

I like in Tales of Xillia when one of the villains is making a bunch of grand threats and detailing his ten-year-long master plan and somebody just calls him a tool. not in a 'you're being used' way, just, 'what a tool.'

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Honestly, I think my biggest frustration with this game is how loving finicky the collection points and salvage points are for being in the right place to activate them, which is a nuisance but certainly not gamebreaking. Otherwise, this has been a lot better than I had expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So Gormott is Wales huh