Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have free healthcare.

Then you don't live in America, the country that literally designed itself around the assumption that everyone has a car. When you make ownership of something a necessity live, it's no longer a luxury item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just move to a big city where you don't need to have a car! Walla!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Then you don't live in America, the country that literally designed itself around the assumption that everyone has a car. When you make ownership of something a necessity live, it's no longer a luxury item.

Just because your entire society doesn't understand cars are a luxury item doesn't mean they aren't, jesus christ.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Just google "are cars a necessity or luxury" and you'll see plenty of arguments, but to say it's so cut and dry is silly. Relative to my situation, I'd say my car is a luxury because I pay a lot more for it than I would to use the transportation system that is available to me. But for people that live 20 miles away in any direction it's a necessity to access any jobs, services, retail, etc. "Luxury" doesn't begin at a set price, it's relative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At age 18 every citizen should pass the following test to measure whether they are too rich: They are given a selection of several random objects, and a potato. They are asked to single out the potato out of the bunch. Those who succeed in this task are clearly too well acquainted with the lifestyle of the rich, and should be dealt with appropriately.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

At age 18 every citizen should pass the following test to measure whether they are too rich: They are given a selection of several random objects, and a potato. They are asked to single out the potato out of the bunch. Those who succeed in this task are clearly too well acquainted with the lifestyle of the rich, and should be dealt with appropriately.

where are we supposed find spare potato for test? test is dream of utopian fantasist.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
The only reason to support freedom of movement is if you're a pedophile

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just because your entire society doesn't understand cars are a luxury item doesn't mean they aren't, jesus christ.

Cars are cheap. The real luxury is parking.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Predator 2 and Robocop 2 really aren't bad. Theyre not as good as their respective predeccessors but they are hardly bad movies. Theyre not boring, which to me is synonymous with not being bad, since the worst thing a movie can be is boring. Also they both have some creative and cool bits in them. I like the idea that Predator 2 takes place in the big city, to contrast against the secluded jungle of the original. That voodoo gangster guy was cool. That scene on the subway was cool. "Want some candy?" was memorable. Gary Busey is in it. The final line of dialogue is pretty cool and hinted at future sequels that never came.

Similarly Robocop 2 is pretty cool. Not as good as Robocop 1, but what is?

Another sequel that gets ignored is Conan the Destroyer. Conan fights a rhinoceros-monster at the end and its pretty cool.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Nov 30, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Predator 2 was better than Predator.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Predator 2 was better than Predator.

Its been a long rear end time since I've seen the original Predator. You may very well be right that the second one is better. I think the first is probably better executed and tells a tighter story, but come to think of it, Predator 2 has a LOT of entertaining stuff in it. Right now as i type this, i'm remembering the scene where the Predator is in someone's bathroom and grabbing drywall off the wall and pouring a bright blue liquid on it, mixing it up into a bright blue jello-looking substance that he then jams into his gunshot wound. Its weird as gently caress and pretty funny.

So Predator 2 may very well have more entertaining bits in it than the first one does, come to think of it. Also you get to see the inside of the Predator spaceship and its pretty cool. There's lots of eye candy and cool-looking stuff in the movie. And while everyone always mentions the xenomorph skull, you can see the skulls of other alien monsters and they look pretty cool.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Nier is better than Nier: Automata in every single way, including the combat.

e: the chapter select in Automata is nice though.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Dec 1, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

life is a joke posted:

Just google "are cars a necessity or luxury" and you'll see plenty of arguments, but to say it's so cut and dry is silly. Relative to my situation, I'd say my car is a luxury because I pay a lot more for it than I would to use the transportation system that is available to me. But for people that live 20 miles away in any direction it's a necessity to access any jobs, services, retail, etc. "Luxury" doesn't begin at a set price, it's relative.

Isn't the ability to move at unnatural speeds by definition a luxury, just as talking with radio waves, or creating light with electrons are? We used to live just fine without that stuff.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just move to a big city where you don't need to have a car! Walla!

This tho is the real "answer".

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

doverhog posted:

Isn't the ability to move at unnatural speeds by definition a luxury, just as talking with radio waves, or creating light with electrons are? We used to live just fine without that stuff.

This tho is the real "answer".

no, you need a car to get to your job. Modern cities are designed around cars.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Not in non-poo poo countries. :) So just move a little further.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A luxury, by definition, is something you do not require to function in your role in society. Therefore the specifics of what a luxury is vary with along with social transformations observable across time, space and cultural context, which means people going at each other about what REALLY is / isn't luxury extremely pointless.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That being said, a city designed around car is an unsustainable hellscape.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I haven't had a car in 7 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Modern cities are not designed around cars.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Not in non-poo poo countries. :) So just move a little further.

You don't strictly need a car in the tiny "non poo poo" countries with good public transportation, but I think the change in quality of life you get by having your own vehicle even in these places is large enough that it's not in the "unnecessary luxury" category. You don't have to only buy what you can carry anymore at the grocery store, you can do everything on your schedule, and you don't have to be around the drunks that pace up and down the aisle screaming at themselves. It is technically a luxury I guess but it's not on the same level as owning a mansion or having a butler or whatever. We don't technically "need" ovens or stoves to cook food and survive, we could just build fires in our back yard and cook things that way, but your life would be much less pleasant and convenient without them.

If you can't afford a car, fine, but I will never understand why people choose to not own a car if they can afford to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A car is a loving white elephant that sucks away money. If I need to move something heavy, I have it delivered.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

steinrokkan posted:

A car is a loving white elephant that sucks away money. If I need to move something heavy, I have it delivered.

It's not like public transportation is free either. Car maintenance isn't that expensive unless you have an old car and/or don't know how to do simple jobs like changing oil or replacing basic parts yourself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's not like public transportation is free either. Car maintenance isn't that expensive unless you have an old car and/or don't know how to do simple jobs like changing oil or replacing basic parts yourself.

My annual pass for all public transportation within the city and its vicinity runs up to less than 50c a day., which I would be paying regardless of car ownership because it's way more flexible. Meanwhile gas costs around $1.20 a liter.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Dec 1, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I live in an area where public transportation adds at least two hours to any trip. Which I probably wouldn't mind if I hated my free time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

Predator 2 and Robocop 2 really aren't bad. Theyre not as good as their respective predeccessors but they are hardly bad movies. Theyre not boring, which to me is synonymous with not being bad, since the worst thing a movie can be is boring. Also they both have some creative and cool bits in them. I like the idea that Predator 2 takes place in the big city, to contrast against the secluded jungle of the original. That voodoo gangster guy was cool. That scene on the subway was cool. "Want some candy?" was memorable. Gary Busey is in it. The final line of dialogue is pretty cool and hinted at future sequels that never came.

Similarly Robocop 2 is pretty cool. Not as good as Robocop 1, but what is?

Another sequel that gets ignored is Conan the Destroyer. Conan fights a rhinoceros-monster at the end and its pretty cool.

Predator 2's as good as the first one, it's just different. Same as with Alien and Aliens: they couldn't do the same build up to revealing the monster, so went with a more straight up action movie.

Robocop 2 is an odd case. I read an interview with Peter Weller years ago where he said the problem with the film is it lacks a good third act. There's a lot of good stuff in the first two thirds of the film: Murphy coming to terms with what he now is, losing his personality, regaining it, Cain and his posse are decent villains, etc. Most of this is lost at the end which is just the two cyborgs smashing poo poo up until Murphy wins. Reminds me of Blade, where the original ending was Deacon Frost turning into the Blood God which would have been a CGI'd whirlwind sort of thing. Test audiences didn't like it because the whole film is leading to a final battle between Blade and Frost, then Frost pretty much disappears. New ending is made where Frost retains his human/vampire form to fight Blade, ending is much better. I wonder how much better the ending of Robocop 2 would have been if Cain had retained his face and personality? Being able to talk would have added a lot to it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I didn't need a car for the three years I lived in Portland. Public transit was pretty reliable and expansive, and you could pick up a Car2Go if you really needed your own ride.
But holy poo poo, LA. Everything's spread way far out, routes are extremely centralized and public transit is only qualified by sheer definition of the word. And I can't drive here because everyone's a hideously aggressive driver to the point of peeling out in front of you when the crosswalk light comes up.
I have been spoiled, it seems.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I didn't need a car for the three years I lived in Portland. Public transit was pretty reliable and expansive, and you could pick up a Car2Go if you really needed your own ride.
But holy poo poo, LA. Everything's spread way far out, routes are extremely centralized and public transit is only qualified by sheer definition of the word. And I can't drive here because everyone's a hideously aggressive driver to the point of peeling out in front of you when the crosswalk light comes up.
I have been spoiled, it seems.

LA isn't a real city. Its 20 suburbs that they decided to collectively call LA.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hard to say this is an opinion, per se, but:

If chiropractic poo poo wasn't treated (and priced) as an Alternative Medicine, I'd prolly go once in a blue moon. It's satisfying and relaxing to pop some joints, having someone else do a bunch of them would be worth it every once in a while.

I know it's all bullshit as a treatment for anything, it just seems relaxing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" is pretty enjoyable to listen to

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" is pretty enjoyable to listen to

as is Karma Chameleon, by Culture Club

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Tubthumper is a good song.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aren't those all actually pretty popular songs (and therefore opinions)?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Wayne's World movies have aged better than the Austin Powers movies. (and the second WW is better than the first)

I watched them recently, and they're still pretty good.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Hard to say this is an opinion, per se, but:

If chiropractic poo poo wasn't treated (and priced) as an Alternative Medicine, I'd prolly go once in a blue moon. It's satisfying and relaxing to pop some joints, having someone else do a bunch of them would be worth it every once in a while.

I know it's all bullshit as a treatment for anything, it just seems relaxing.

I'm sure it's great. The people who've been killed or injured by it might disagree.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure it's great. The people who've been killed or injured by it might disagree.

Well, yeah, that too. Or the "I need to put my thumb up your butt to adjust something" stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

The Wayne's World movies have aged better than the Austin Powers movies. (and the second WW is better than the first)

I watched them recently, and they're still pretty good.

WW2 is not better but it is extremely underrated

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Well, yeah, that too. Or the "I need to put my thumb up your butt to adjust something" stuff.

... I hadn't heard about that. Maybe I need to give this chiropractic lark a try after all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

WW2 is not better but it is extremely underrated

fight me irl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

fight me irl

A shopkeeper and his son tried to fight me recently. I had to beat them both to death with their own shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

A shopkeeper and his son tried to fight me recently. I had to beat them both to death with their own shoes.

I thought it was the red M&M's that killed people.