Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've been using mag a lot lately and it's fun to watch armored and shield enemies melt when you use polarize

She's enough of an all-rounder you can kind of build her up in a bunch of different ways

Right now I've been running a sort of boss/nox killer build by tanking duration and maxing str so I have like 5.7x damage multiplier with magnetize which melts everything stuck in it.

I've also done max range for plains so I get pull up to like, 70+ meters which lets me just yank grineer off their drop ships and then crush them mid-air.

She probably doesn't scale well up to like level 150 content or whatever but I dont care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
My fave is Loki for his sheer ability to break the game, kill anything, and look and feel cool as hell while doing so. I can’t wait for Loki Prime to be unvaulted. :allears:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm contemplating putting a potato in ember right now. running world on fire fur entire survival or defense missions is fun.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RFC2324 posted:

I'm contemplating putting a potato in ember right now. running world on fire fur entire survival or defense missions is fun.

Ember is also fun with the new operator stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Argh, had racked up over 1.2k kills in a Dark Sector Survival on Uranus to farm Polymers and got booted from session, rejoined but had lost all my bonus stuff. Saryn owns hard.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

And Tyler Too! posted:

tootin my own horn here:

:smug:

Sup negative magazine capacity bow riven buddy

Infected Clip is presently my wildcard slot, in case I wanna switch it up with some Bladed Rounds or Hunter Munitions or something

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

commish posted:

Please no. Please. NO LIMBO.

Was trying to farm AXI last night with some excavation runs. Pug Limbo dude did his best to make it as hard as possible for us to kill the power cell birds. It was baffling. EXCAVATION ISN'T HARD ENOUGH TO BANISH poo poo LIKE THIS.

If you want to bring CC to the team, please be Gara or something else that won't interfere with everyone else. I am so over Frost bubbles and Limbo banishment.

I had this exact same experience last night. Thankfully the guy wouldn't follow me when I started a second extractor. That seems to be unheard of amongst pugs on Hieracon. It's weird.

Edit: As for favourite frame, I have to say right now it's Harrow. I just can't get over how much I love his theme, and I found a perfect colour scheme I am in love with. On top of that, I always feel like I am doing something useful with him, and I'm always pressing buttons, which is nice. I regularly use all 4 skills and feel good doing it.

Sarcastastic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 2, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

commish posted:

Please no. Please. NO LIMBO.

Was trying to farm AXI last night with some excavation runs. Pug Limbo dude did his best to make it as hard as possible for us to kill the power cell birds. It was baffling. EXCAVATION ISN'T HARD ENOUGH TO BANISH poo poo LIKE THIS.

If you want to bring CC to the team, please be Gara or something else that won't interfere with everyone else. I am so over Frost bubbles and Limbo banishment.

Limbo is supposed to be pretty solid for excav or mobile defense as long as he just puts a min-range cataclysm around the objective, stops time, then takes his hands off the keyboard and stops using abilities for the rest of the round.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think harrow's 1 makes every other 1 in the game look worthless in comparison.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Inaros's is better

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

In a vacuum I'd agree, but when combined with what Harrow's 2 and 3 offers, I think Harrow wins out.

It's pretty narrow though, both of them are solid 'oh poo poo' CC.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think harrow's 1 makes every other 1 in the game look worthless in comparison.

He is such a great example of power synergies. The powers all work together is obvious ways and it doesn't require an hour+ of wiki study to use him correctly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Berke Negri posted:

i like mag

Just kind of unassumingly competent in all corners and has like 70 different skins and helmets to choose from

Honestly playing the more warcrime-y frames is fun but I feel I only really use them for very specific situations

Yea I want to work on building a new frame, I just got all my Rhino part blueprints so now I just need to grind the mats and get the actual frame blueprint, but I just really love Mag. I may just get that to 30 before anything else.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Avulsion posted:

Finally got around to building Limbo, and I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I avoid being "that guy" on missions?
2) How do I go about being "that guy"?

It's a mastery fodder frame, don't loving play it in multiplayer missions unless you are just levelling him to 30. Don't ever press a number when you are in mission and forget he exists afterwards until the next remake, because they hosed this one up too when they nerfed the poo poo out of him. All he needed was a light nerf after the last remake and they took a sledgehammer to him, I'll instantly quit when I see limbo in group. It really sucks too because he has the best hat and idle animations in the entire game.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I want to work on building a new frame, I just got all my Rhino part blueprints so now I just need to grind the mats and get the actual frame blueprint, but I just really love Mag. I may just get that to 30 before anything else.

Mag is great with certain weapons he is dominant. But you need the fancy vault duration mod before he's worth much. So as a newbie there are a lot better frames out there. Kulstar, Zarr, and Tetra with the bounce mods all exploit his bubble power.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 2, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just started playing this and thought it was okay, pretty fun. Then a friend told me how to bullet jump and I can't stop doing it. I need to bind it to a single key so I can just push the bullet jump key forever.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Psion posted:

I just started playing this and thought it was okay, pretty fun. Then a friend told me how to bullet jump and I can't stop doing it. I need to bind it to a single key so I can just push the bullet jump key forever.

Binding crouch to a mouse button is the best possible thing you can do in this game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

I didn't figure out you can aim your bullet jump until I had to for one of the MR tests.

I can no longer imagine life without jumping and vaulting loving everywhere, it's the best part of the game for me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
My favorite frame after a few weeks is easily Valkyr, because she's cathartic as hell. Oberon is also up there, because I like gardening [Ordis glitch noise] WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also don't forget to slide out of your landing when you're leaping around, it feels great.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Use an explosive weapon like the Zarr, bullet jump straight up into the air, then aim glide and rain death on your enemies from above.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Washout posted:

It's a mastery fodder frame, don't loving play it in multiplayer missions unless you are just levelling him to 30. Don't ever press a number when you are in mission and forget he exists afterwards until the next remake, because they hosed this one up too when they nerfed the poo poo out of him. All he needed was a light nerf after the last remake and they took a sledgehammer to him, I'll instantly quit when I see limbo in group. It really sucks too because he has the best hat and idle animations in the entire game.

Mag is great with certain weapons he is dominant. But you need the fancy vault duration mod before he's worth much. So as a newbie there are a lot better frames out there. Kulstar, Zarr, and Tetra with the bounce mods all exploit his bubble power.

Limbo rules, get hosed

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

paranoid randroid posted:

My favorite frame after a few weeks is easily Valkyr, because she's cathartic as hell. Oberon is also up there, because I like gardening [Ordis glitch noise] WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES

I'd agree with this as well. Valkyr got me through a lot in my early days, and I've loved Oberon since I started playing. Even back then when all he had going for him was his 4 looked cool and was neat CC. I love my goat knight and angry cat lady.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the movement used to not be good, and then de made the movement good. we're all better off for it and warframe wouldn't be what it is today if not for that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Valkyr is my beautiful flesh blender and Oberon is my handsome elf prince and I love them both.

All warframes are beautiful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the movement used to not be good, and then de made the movement good. we're all better off for it and warframe wouldn't be what it is today if not for that.

What was it like before, exactly? I only started in late 2016.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Night10194 posted:

In the before times, there was no bullet or double jumping, nor wall running. For a time, sprinting even had a stamina meter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pretty much the only way to get any real speed or distance was to abuse a glitch when using certain melee weapons. it was loving awful.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Game started as a pretty bog standard TPS movement-wise, regular sprinting, jumping, etc. Excalibur used to have a skill called Super Jump that was an anemic bullet jump and that was considered (by DE at least) a valid power, to give you an idea of how relatively limited stuff was at the start. Things eventually evolved to the point where a technique called "coptering" was the norm. Basically you jumped and did a slide-melee in midair and the game's momentum mechanics would rocket you forward (based on your attack speed so fast weapons were better, dual zoren/tipedo supremacy). You could really get moving with that but only horizontally, vertical height was extremely limited. The new system is vastly superior in my opinion, although coptering allowed for more raw speed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
coptering could only be done with a few weapons, and only in a straight line with no obstacles. in those very limited circumstances, it was faster than the current system. having 3d movement that is usable while fighting and without any melee weapon restrictions is absolutely an improvement, though a few nostalgic turds say otherwise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Coptering was loving garbage and I'm glad it's dead and buried

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about stamina.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

coptering is why i quit the first time i tried to play this.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Finally got around to building Limbo, and I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I avoid being "that guy" on missions?
2) How do I go about being "that guy"?

I know you have got a lot of conflicting opinions about this, but personally I like to use limbo for missions like survival and defense in which you don't need to run around a lot. I just activate 2, use 1 to banish groups of enemies that aren't being shot at by everyone else, and stick a bunch of explosives around them, repeat a couple times, then release all of them and admire my handywork. Add the augment for 3 (bonus damage per rifted enemy) if needed. I tend to avoid using 4, because that tends to be the annoying power. A minority of people see rifted enemies who are time frozen and don't have faith that I've got projectiles frozen and fly into impotent rage that there is a guy RIGHT THERE and they CAN'T SHOOT THEM and OMG USELESS LIMBO. You can also banish defense objectives and hostages if they are in trouble. 4 has an ok use for dropping on excavators and such that are in trouble with 2 on so you and team can clean up all the enemies on it with melee.

If you have someone you want to make ragequit, drop random 4s on them or between them and enemies. Banish random enemies they are actively shooting at. Have long duration, so they can't even shoot at them for a minute. Please don't actually do this, even if they really deserve it. We are all space ninja friends, here :v:

Like other people have said, he isn't top tier or anything, but I find it compelling to time freeze rockets on foolish spacemen and snap my fingers and watch them all explode.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
The way movement worked before vs. now is really apparent when you go to do old grineer galleon or corpus ship vaults, and most of the old Void puzzle rooms. They were designed for the old movement system and they were never updated, and most of them are trivial with bulletjump.

The fact that everyone left in the thread now agrees that zorencoptering was bad for the game is interesting. The thread was real divided on it when DE announced it would die and started to give general details on movement 2.0. Even in the weeks after movement 2.0 went live there were those still mad about it, and it was true that you could get better raw horizontal speed with a correctly modded zorencopter setup. We had a bunch of people here, and on the official forums, saying DE was destroying the game in favor of dumbing things down for the average pubbie blah blah.

Funny thing is, the same logic was underneath other changes - like when they made Peacemaker no longer 360 degrees. Yeah, it does way more DPS down the sights now, but its basic role changed and it can't be used to semi-afk half the mission types in the game anymore. Lots of complaints at the time, but would everyone here - with the change a safe distance into the past - now agree that the original Peacemaker had to go for the sake of allowing other gameplay to even exist... and do you think you'd say the same a year after they similarly change Ember and Equinox's 4s?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Valkyr is my shapely tsundere. It's not as if she's happy with being your frame, Operator. In fact, she's quite angry about it you... you... BAKA!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm tempted to get the Valkyr statue, honestly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

S.J. posted:

I'm tempted to get the Valkyr statue, honestly.

Same, she's so rad

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Night10194 posted:

Oh boy, let me tell you about The Before Times!

We had stamina, sprinting, jumping, sliding, quickmelee only, forward flips, wallrunning, mantling, and coptering.
Sprinting, jumping, melee, and wallrunning all took stamina. Stamina would recover while sliding.
Sliding was done by crouching while sprinting or mid-air. Mid-air slides would also be a flying kick that knocked down enemies you hit - this still applies.
Forward flips were done by hitting jump while groundsliding. You'd flip forward through the air for some decent speed and distance, no vertical aiming, and consuming stamina when you initiated it because it's a type of jump. If the description of this movement sounds familiar, that's because it was essentially a protobulletjump. The basic universal movement loop was to groundslide into a flip into an airslide and repeat when you contacted the ground again. Today, babby's first bulletjump loop is almost the exact same sequence of keys.
Wallrunning came in vertical and horizontal varieties. Gravity would gradually take effect so your horizontal run would start arcing increasingly downwards and your vertical climb would slow down dramatically. Briefly, there was a period where you could vertical climb infinitely and stamina didn't matter to it at all. That was really nice.
Mantling originally came in a high cover version. As you wallrun or jump towards a higher ledge, you'd grab on with both hands and flip yourself up onto it. In theory. Early on this was often buggy and you'd flip yourself upwards but not forward onto the actual ledge, so you'd just be left in midair like the coyote and immediately fall. It works fine now.
But! For a time, DE put in low cover mantling. Low cover mantling was THE ANTICHRIST. If you were near waist-high cover and moving even remotely towards it and tapped jump, you'd put one hand on the cover and swing your legs over it, putting you on the other side of it. It was VERY sensitive about the moving-towards-the-cover part. If you haven't caught onto why this was so awful yet, consider: How much waist-high cover in Warframe is actually a safety railing? Everyone was throwing themselves into pits all the goddamn time while this was in the game, and screaming every single time it happened. Eventually DE put in a toggle in options for auto low cover mantling, and everybody turned it off immediately. Later DE removed low cover mantling and nobody noticed it because everyone had it turned off. In any case, low cover mantling is more of a move for sticky-cover-shooters, while Warframe is, if anything, an anti-cover-shooter.

Coptering, though, was in and of itself unintended at first. Slide melee was intentional. When in a sliding state, hitting quickmelee would make you do a spin with your melee weapon out. This is still in. But what was also happening was that the forward speed of your slide would get adjusted by your melee weapon's attack speed. Anything with an attack speed greater than 1 could boost you forward decently. The Dual Zoren axes had an attack speed of something like 3, so it was where people first started noticing that quickmeleeing with the zoren while airsliding would launch you across entire tiles, spinning with an axe held out in each hand like you were pretending to be a helicopter. Thus, it was first called Zorencoptering. This was in the early days of quickmelee only, too, so melee kinda sucked anyways and anyone who wanted to go fast only ever carried the same few melee weapons: Mostly Dual Zoren, Bo and Ceramic Dagger also saw some decent representation. Coptering could be done in the air and on the ground, all it needed was that you be sliding. Grounded coptering was good for shorter, more controllable bursts of speed, while aerial coptering was for "I want to be over there right now." Its bugginess was also evident in how it became more powerful the worse your framerate was. Back then, you did not race Denzine.

DE heard about this. DE thought, "this definitely sounds like a bug and we should fix it." DE also thought, "but first we're going to try it ourselves because it sounds fun as hell." And then DE discovered that they couldn't stop doing it either! Easy speed is too good! So DE went ahead and said, "this is great you guys don't worry it's safe we're not going to touch it for now." And DE was left to think about how to spread out melee weapon use rates both for mobility and actual melee.

The answer eventually came in the form of Melee 2.0. Holding out your melee weapon was added, stances and combos were added, melee channeling was added (and still sucks from what I hear), airmelee was added, coptering was expanded. Now a lot more weapons could copter to varying degrees of proficiency, and it wasn't purely a matter of attack speed. Now you had a vertical melee movement option by looking up at where you wanted to go and tapping melee after you jumped. Like coptering, weapon proficiency at airmelee varied, and different classes of melee weapon had different airmelee behaviors: Heavy melees would do a higher arc on launch but immediately go into an abrupt downward slam when they hit the peak of the arc. This opened up melee use quite a lot. But do you see the obvious problem? "Varying degrees of proficiency," in both forms of melee movement. Now, Tipedo is king!* Ceramic Dagger and a few other weapons were also amazing at both coptering and airmelee. The effects of framerate on copter speed were still around too. There were also increasing questions to DE on if such tools as macros and autohotkey were okay because coptering was VERY buttonmashy, and I can personally tell you that Warframe got my wrists to creak a few times. Finally, the parkour oriented parts of DE's level design were becoming increasingly unused since everyone was flinging themselves all over the place.
*note the little green line under my shield/health bar

So, DE starts thinking about Parkour 2.0. Their initial plans are to have an alternative to melee movement - something loadout-independent that takes less buttonmashing and perhaps loses out on raw speed while also giving more versatility and controllability, and get some more use back out of the level design. We can see some of their earlier concepts in the Tombs of the Sentient trailer: ignoring gravity while wallrunning, the bulletjump, wall latching, and zipline control all make their first appearances.
What we got was a replacer that was an amazing improvement for versatility and control, but actually managed to be more buttonmashy over equivalent distances*, implemented the most hilariously space ninja approach to ziplines I've ever seen, turned horizontal wallrunning into such a bouncy mess that most of DE's old parkour level design wound up getting ignored even harder, and threw Stamina out the window after Alad.
Ridiculous freeform aerial moves became the order of the day as the old style parkour setups disappeared from DE's post-Parkour-2.0 level design and now they've made the first move towards huge open fields to frolic in.
*This kind of thing is why we joke that when DE makes big changes, they take two steps forward, one step back, and have somehow wound up a mile to the side of where they originally started. See also Damage 2.0 attempting to steer weapon modding away from Rainbow Damage.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Night10194 posted:

All this is from closed beta to like 2015:

This shows people playing the game like a standard shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzwDTmq7no

This is similar to above but also shows the old nav screen and upgrade system (halfway through). There was no liset/ship to walk around at this point, so you automatically went to the nav screen after each mission, it was purely menus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-rCCQNcm8

This shows the coptering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-n-z5V188

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Coldbird posted:

Funny thing is, the same logic was underneath other changes - like when they made Peacemaker no longer 360 degrees. Yeah, it does way more DPS down the sights now, but its basic role changed and it can't be used to semi-afk half the mission types in the game anymore. Lots of complaints at the time, but would everyone here - with the change a safe distance into the past - now agree that the original Peacemaker had to go for the sake of allowing other gameplay to even exist... and do you think you'd say the same a year after they similarly change Ember and Equinox's 4s?

I play Mesa a lot and I still think they nerfed it a little too much. Or rather, in too many ways. i don't mind that it's not 360 anymore, but the way your cone of fire (and vision) narrows over time is irritating and the ability would be more fun to use if it was optional - like maybe you could right click to narrow it for the extra damage against a hard target, but otherwise it didn't shrink.

They should also make her 1 not worthless. Make your shot explode or ricochet or something.