Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

also, yeah, that. and also there's the simple fact that no matter how much you value community and family, there are situations where your community or your family are toxic and you're better off cutting yourself off from them. Not to say that really applies to Persona 4, but like, making a blanket statement that any attempt to cut yourself off from those things is self-destructive is lol.
It does apply to P4, because whoo boy Rise's arc.

I still love P4 and I can forgive its flaws in part due it to sort of being of its time. On the other hand, I have a feeling I really won't be very forgiving of 5 because its been nearly a decade since 4 came out and a lot has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Do you guys sell video games here?"

"We sell forbidden objects from places men fear to tread."

"We also sell Conception II!"

"I'm just looking for a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy."

"Hm..."

"Perhaps..."

"This will please the gentleman."

"Take this game, but beware, it carries terrible anime."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"It also has a cool UI!"

"Ooh, that's good!"

"You can gently caress your high school teacher."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"But it's a counter-cultural game about tearing the rich and powerful down!"

"Ooh, that's good."

"However, it's ultimately a game made by old Japanese men that reinforces cultural values of conformity and changing the system from within slowly over time without rocking the boat. In this way it is a very conservative game, despite its pretenses of fighting the system."

"That's bad."

"Can I go now?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

yes, believe it or not, there are japanese people who think persona sucks. like it's a popular series but it's a popular series in the west too, and hey, people in this thread are criticizing it

I wasn't denying it, I wanted to avoid a conversation about cultures I'm not a part of without reading something from their perspective. I would love reading such an article.

Endorph posted:

also, yeah, that. and also there's the simple fact that no matter how much you value community and family, there are situations where your community or your family are toxic and you're better off cutting yourself off from them. Not to say that really applies to Persona 4, but like, making a blanket statement that any attempt to cut yourself off from those things is self-destructive is lol.

And that's not the statement I'm making because P4 doesn't present a toxic atmosphere for its characters, Yosuke aside. Everyone's problems stem from their own self loathing.

Stexils posted:

people are criticizing the writing for deliberately constructing every scenario so that their individual feelings match up with what society wants, which wouldn't be the case with even slight changes. for example what if kanji was actually gay? it would be awful to suggest that he should stay in the closet forever to match with what his family or society wants. or what if yukiko actually didn't want to run the inn? should she devote her life to that because her family wants her to even if she's miserable, just so that the employees don't have to find another job? are you nothing but a slave to your community and family?

that none of this happens and the characters are happy with the status quo is a huge dodge of the question "what should i do if what i want isn't what everyone else wants." in persona 4, the answer is "just change your way of thinking and it'll be okay!" that's what people are critical of, because that's intensely conservative and can be an extremely unhealthy approach.

Well no actually, you're the first person presenting this argument.

You're not wrong, that the more extreme characters have convenient hooks, but I'd say the actual worse thing is the character's are fully supported in their decisions. Even if Kanji was gay his mother clearly supports him. Nobody at the inn resents Yukiko because their jobs hinge on her decisions. If it wasn't for the mystery there would be no stakes. And gating character growth behind optional events doesn't do things any good either.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

hell, i laughed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
wait what snowboard kids is atlus

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

"Hm..."

"Perhaps..."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"It also has a cool UI!"

"Ooh, that's good!"

"Ooh, that's bad."

"Ooh, that's good."

"However, it's ultimately a game made by old Japanese men that reinforces cultural values of conformity and changing the system from within slowly over time without rocking the boat. In this way it is a very conservative game, despite its pretenses of fighting the system."

"That's bad."

"Can I go now?"

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

wait what snowboard kids is atlus

They just published it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

"Hm..."

"Perhaps..."

"Ooh, that's bad."

"It also has a cool UI!"

"Ooh, that's good!"

"Ooh, that's bad."

"Ooh, that's good."

"That's bad."

"Can I go now?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

voted five

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

snowboard kids owned

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'll raise your Snowboard Kids with the next best Atlus game:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

chie betrays her arc by becoming a cop, a job in which you use a gun and never do rad kicks

Someone hasn't played Yakuza 4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:discourse:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My main problem with Lin in Xenoblade Chronicles X constantly making jokes about eating their Nopon buddy was that his race has been driven to near extinction because the Prone have literally been hunting them for food. It's not a loving joke at that point. Lin's jokes are in incredibly poor taste, pun not intended.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a reason why the PS4 version of Berseria seems to be on sale much less frequently than the Steam edition, other than "Playtation Store."

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a reason why the PS4 version of Berseria seems to be on sale much less frequently than the Steam edition, other than "Playtation Store."

you pretty much got it in 1.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Now this is the content I paid ten bucks for.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I finished Starcrawlers and the game feels like it ran out of content halfway through. The randomized dungeons were meh and I kinda wish the main story scaled well enough to just keep doing premade dungeons, since some of them were pretty clever. The hard limit of 5 active skills also means that after about 20 or so levels, you're not really putting points in skills that you'd use, but rather just getting skills to get passives. Some of the classes had some pretty clear ONE TRUE BUILD choices, although that could just be my biased perception, but I have no idea why you wouldn't get Ascendance as a Void Psyker or Psychic Barrier as a Force Psyker.

Combat also got super tedious since most of it revolved around doing the same skills over and over again, such that each fight didn't really require me to be tactical about it, so it pretty much devolved into doing the same routine until things started to die. Which would be fine if fights were super quick, but they weren't.

This seems pretty full of complaints, but I enjoyed it well enough. Just wish that there was more depth to it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Pandora's Tower on the Wii. It's actually really fun, and the waggle is fairly intuitive (it's not used much, just to quickly yank the chain). I towards the end of the game now, the Blacklight Tower (the Towers of Dawn and Dusk, but the notes refer to the locations together as Blacklight) and it's got a really cool gimmick, although the gimmick makes it harder to navigate than the other towers.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
‘Why do Japanese RPGs always star teens? Because older folks couldn’t recover with just one night at the inn.’
-some random Japanese tweet on my timeline

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Getsuya posted:

‘Why do Japanese RPGs always star teens? Because older folks couldn’t recover with just one night at the inn.’
-some random Japanese tweet on my timeline

What about Strago

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
He has a young teen heart. That's why he's a good grandpa to Relm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

Or maybe modern society means something different for people. Maybe different cultures have different values.

The cast couldn't be any more privileged. They have families that love them and loyal friends. Aside from some teasing they're not bullied. Their government isn't trying to kill them. They haven't been wronged in any way. Them changing, which in the game's perspective is them abandoning their lives, is actively destructive to themselves and their community.
And this doesn't echo what Mr. Fortitude said how, exactly? As you say, they're super privileged, so the system rewards them for obeying the system. Not obeying the system would be self-destructive, because the system punishes not obeying the system.

I'm not really sure what point you're making here, because "cultural difference" that ain't. It's the quintessential arch-conservative message: It doesn't matter what you want, it matters what we think you should be wanting. "Putting the community over the individual" is all well and good for you because the community wants something that you happen to approve of. If it isn't, then what the community wants becomes "give up all your dreams, shut the gently caress up and keep your head down, because you don't matter and your happiness is of no importance to anyone" all in a hurry. Your parents could tell you all about that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 2, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The system is poo poo and they SHOULD burn it down

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

yeah, there's also that. 'you are slave. want emancipation?' and then it ends with everything literally the same as it started. the worst of it is exhibited in Haru's father - the thieves were tricked into it, but there's no explanation that those rumors about him overworking employees to the point of death aren't true, and the palace you infiltrate is literally his brain - his employees as robot slaves who take his orders until they die or are broken, and then disposed of. Taking him down was obviously the wrong move for the Thieves as an organization, because it led to widespread resentment of them and their tactics, which in turn would lead to people accepting the status quo.

but the party acts like taking him down was morally wrong, like they betrayed some inherent righteousness by defeating him. which, what? dude was the most evil villain since kamoshida. yusuke's adoptive father was a huge jackass but his actions were fairly smallscale all in all, the yakuza guy was just a mid-level yakuza guy and he wouldn't really affect anything one way or the other, but haru's dad was actively evil and even just taking him down and having him confess to his crimes causing a scandal that would make his successors be very very careful about making sure no employees pass out or anything would be an active improvement in thousands of people's lives, even if it wouldn't solve any core issues. and Haru says he was a good dad who just got a little distant when her mother died, which - I can buy that as the reason for the arranged marriage, but I can't buy that as the reason for, uh, everything else.

As I recall, it's more that they took him down for the wrong reasons, not that taking him down wasn't a good thing. As I recall, they basically did it because their online fanbase encouraged them too. The Thieves allowed themselves to be manipulated because they started becoming more interested in being popular than their justice.

They especially regret it when it blows up in their faces, but they also are extremely distressed that he died as a result of their actions. The whole thing left a bitter taste in the mouth, but I don't think anyone says it was wrong to stop him -- only that it was done in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

exquisite tea posted:

It was on sale over the black friday weekend, at least on the eu store.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

The PSN store doesn't have to compete with 'free' like Steam does.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

If you don’t mind physical it’s $30 at GS and BB

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

And this doesn't echo what Mr. Fortitude said how, exactly? As you say, they're super privileged, so the system rewards them for obeying the system. Not obeying the system would be self-destructive, because the system punishes not obeying the system.

I'm not really sure what point you're making here, because "cultural difference" that ain't. It's the quintessential arch-conservative message: It doesn't matter what you want, it matters what we think you should be wanting. "Putting the community over the individual" is all well and good for you because the community wants something that you happen to approve of. If it isn't, then what the community wants becomes "give up all your dreams, shut the gently caress up and keep your head down, because you don't matter and your happiness is of no importance to anyone" all in a hurry. Your parents could tell you all about that.

The internal strife of Persona 4's characters is that they deny their true selves because what they desire doesn't match the truth of reality. It has nothing to do with society or the pressures to conform. Prior to getting their persona the characters have no goals or aspirations, that is why they have to confront themselves. Like Yukiko's issue isn't that she's being pressured to work in the inn, it's that she sheepishly mopes around doing nothing while the inn languishes. Her selfishness caused suffering for her family.

The important thing the game concludes is that the characters come to their conclusion on their own free will. They evaluate their scenario and instead of doing nothing they actually form goals. This is straight from Yukiko's ending

quote:

Yukiko: I'm also thinking of continuing my studies for a job license.
Yukiko: I don't plan to leave anymore, but I thought I might as well.
Yukiko: I'm glad I realized sooner...
Yukiko: If I'd struck out on my own, I know I would have regretted it.
Yukiko: I wanted to become completely self-sufficient.
Yukiko: But I think I was being too presumptuous.
Yukiko: I have the inn, I have my family, I have the waitresses and chefs...
Yukiko: I am who I am now because I was raised by such a kind group...
Yukiko: When I think of it that way, my problems aren't just my own.
Yukiko: That's why... I'm going to stay here. By my own will.

Yukiko's intended desire was to run away, a situation she realized wouldn't have worked out. In the end she works towards a job license, she takes a proactive role in their community, and by her own will she strives to become a better person.

This is not, by any definition, conformity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As I recall, it's more that they took him down for the wrong reasons, not that taking him down wasn't a good thing. As I recall, they basically did it because their online fanbase encouraged them too. The Thieves allowed themselves to be manipulated because they started becoming more interested in being popular than their justice.

They especially regret it when it blows up in their faces, but they also are extremely distressed that he died as a result of their actions. The whole thing left a bitter taste in the mouth, but I don't think anyone says it was wrong to stop him -- only that it was done in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons.
Iunno, it seems like when the characters are going with 'This betrayed our aesthetics' or whatever it feels like they regret stopping him at all. And if they wanted me to remotely feel bad that he died, he should have been a way lower level villain.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

The internal strife of Persona 4's characters is that they deny their true selves because what they desire doesn't match the truth of reality. It has nothing to do with society or the pressures to conform.
Of course it has. Yukiko is pressured to inherit her inn even though she doesn't want to. Naoto feels pressured to not be female because Japanese culture is patriarchal as all get-out and the police force is only even more so - her shadow manifests as a mad scientist literally trying to mad science herself into maleness. Rise all but feels like she's a prostitute and has a major identity crisis because she's pressured into conforming to her expected Sexy Idol personality to matter how little it actually fits the "real her." Kanji is pressured to stop being girly (and also not be gay because Yosuke is afraid he'll rape them all in their sleep) to the point that he has recreated himself in the image of a biker punk by the time the game takes place, which is presumably the most manly thing he could think of. Yosuke is pressured into not saying bad things about Inaba to the inhabitants' faces despite the fact that he hates their hick asses and the entire backwater dump that he's stuck in. Chie's... Chie.

Social pressure and conformity is literally what everyone's character arc is entirely about. The entire theme of the story is self-actualization and coming to terms with yourself. The game massively drops the ball when it comes to really letting most of them achieve that goal in any real way, but that doesn't remove the theme itself.

quote:

Yukiko's intended desire was to run away, a situation she realized wouldn't have worked out. In the end she works towards a job license, she takes a proactive role in their community, and by her own will she strives to become a better person.

This is not, by any definition, conformity.
I wasn't talking about the characters, I was talking about what you're taking away from this and how this really has nothing to do with cultural differences whatsoever, but has a whole lot to do with the status quo ultimately being a good thing because the status quo benefits whoever wrote the characters arcs.

...that, and also the weird group-think "the desires of family and society come before the desires of the individual" thing you have going. I'd really love to know what your parents would have to say about it if you asked them who was right back then, in that example you graciously provided: the society that said black people ought to get taught in closets, or the individuals who said "gently caress that noise" and started Civil Rights movement to make society cut that poo poo out. Well, if they don't disown you for actually needing them to explain that to you, anyway.

"They're Japanese, you just don't get it" is not a legitimate reason for the characters ultimately mostly failing to actually pull of any of the "self-actualization" part. I'm not sure whether you were just not paying attention at all or are being intentionally obtuse.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 3, 2017

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I think the Persona series has earned a lot of benefit of the doubt when it comes to how its dialogue, characters and themes are interpreted

Even that scene in Persona 5 - I really don't think it was ever intended to be "gays are gross lol". Rather, it was illustrating kids over their heads (which reinforced the primary theme of that chapter).

I mean, seconds later the protrag is in a bar getting manipulated by a depressed and drunken reporter, and the only rational person is the drag queen bartender; she's not a joke or punchline

I think you really have to go out of your way to be upset at that situation in context

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

I think the Persona series has earned a lot of benefit of the doubt when it comes to how its dialogue, characters and themes are interpreted

do you mean the trans panic jokes in p3, or the second instance of gay panic in p5 that your explanation doesn’t cover

lola is good and cool but she doesn’t cancel out the bad poo poo, man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

WarpDogs posted:

Even that scene in Persona 5 - I really don't think it was ever intended to be "gays are gross lol". Rather, it was illustrating kids over their heads (which reinforced the primary theme of that chapter).

I mean, seconds later the protrag is in a bar getting manipulated by a depressed and drunken reporter, and the only rational person is the drag queen bartender; she's not a joke or punchline

I think you really have to go out of your way to be upset at that situation in context

persona's definitely earned the benefit of the doubt for having a scene that's literally just teenagers getting terrified of a creepy trans woman with zero meaningful context to read into it

like i haven't played p5 yet so maybe there are valid excuses for everything in that game or some poo poo but there is no good excuse for p3 and that's why i'm going to give the series the side-eye

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

it has not

also the in over their heads thing might be an excuse for the scene in shinjuku but how does that apply to the part where those same two guys are on the beach

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

...that, and also the weird group-think "the desires of family and society come before the desires of the individual thing" you have going. I'd really love to know what your parents would have to say about it if you asked them who was right back then, in that example you graciously provided: the society that said black people ought to get taught in closets, or the individuals who said "gently caress that noise" and started Civil Rights movement to make society cut that poo poo out. Well, if they don't disown you for needing them to explain that to you, anyway.

"They're Japanese, you just don't get it" is not a legitimate reason for the characters ultimately mostly failing to actually pull of any of the "self-actualization" part. I'm not sure whether you were just not paying attention at all or are being intentionally obtuse.

"They're Japanese, you just don't get it" is a pretty legitimate reason when you just used the example that is a big part of Japanese culture in the previous paragraph.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"They're Japanese, you just don't get it" is a pretty legitimate reason when you just used the example that is a big part of Japanese culture in the previous paragraph.
It would be, if there legitimately was some kind of cultural barrier here that's doesn't translate to the point where the character arcs just don't make sense to us filthy gaijin anymore.

There isn't, though. This wasn't exactly hard to explain and most of it is pretty universal. The Tale of Genji this ain't.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Here's a Japanese story about a group of teens violently sticking it to their parents and society that's also extremely gay man horny if you pay attention

Now no one needs to care about Pee 5 anymore