Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not very far in Tales of Berseria (I just got the Eizen guy) but are you supposed to be using the other characters in combat ever because they seem so much weaker than Velvet and her crazy claw thing

In Tales games the protagonist is always designed to be the easiest to play as but the other characters are cool too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/tortoisefeet/status/936422681271922689

:discourse:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im a bit unclear on what is different about berseria that makes it something i should check out as a guy who has never really loved the series. I've played 4 tales games

Hearts r
Symphonia
Vesperia
Zestria

I dont want to be a hater but people talk abour berseria like its on p5's level as an rpg and i dont know why when all the footage ive seen looks like a regular tales game with some of the bad decisions of the last few removed maybe.

Is it really a great game for broad audiences on its own merits or is it just a return to form that fans of the series wanted

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

Im a bit unclear on what is different about berseria that makes it something i should check out as a guy who has never really loved the series. I've played 4 tales games

Hearts r
Symphonia
Vesperia
Zestria

I dont want to be a hater but people talk abour berseria like its on p5's level as an rpg and i dont know why when all the footage ive seen looks like a regular tales game with some of the bad decisions of the last few removed maybe.

Is it really a great game for broad audiences on its own merits or is it just a return to form that fans of the series wanted

Velvet is the best jrpg protagonist of all

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure goku had an rpg

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Hearts r
Symphonia
Vesperia
Zestria

It has good writing

I've never played Zestiria but I've heard it's garbage and that Berseria is largely apologizing for it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say that while Berseria is good, it certainly doesn't come even close to Persona 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I will say that while Berseria is good, it certainly doesn't come even close to Persona 5

yeah, it's much better than persona 5, not even close,

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Berseria more than P5

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, it's much better than persona 5, not even close,

True, true

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
FFIX came out on the PS4 so it gets to be the RPG of the year again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's way better

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

While Hearts R, Vesperia, and Symphonia are good games, the first in that lineup is kinda super generic and the latter two are overhyped by Gamecube/360 fans since they had little else in terms of good JRPGs (and Symphonia has aged somewhat poorly). Zestiria is just straight up garbage.

Berseria is absolutely an apology for Zestiria but it also means they had a blueprint to make an excellent game by just doing the exact opposite of Zestiria and it owns.

I don't know about GotY poo poo or comparisons to anything else because I'm too far down the Tales hole, but I did basically play nothing but it until Zelda came out despite all the other fantastic games that came out in that time period.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Vesperia but it was probably also the biggest name JRPG on the 360 period until FF13 and Dark Souls came out.

As for Berseria vs. P5, I think Berseria had stronger, more consistent writing but P5 had stronger overall presentation. Kind of depends on my mood which I value more.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria's differences are mainly writing stuff since it features a pretty unusual main cast and premise for the series and takes a lot of influence for its setting from berserk, it's just generally one of the best-written rpgs this year in terms of how it handles its cast and its premise. also based on like 3/4 of the games you're listing having the worst combat in the series, it's also got a way better combat system than all of those had though it's still not quite on the level of the series' best, zestiria was a messy de-evolution of the combat in graces f so berseria just kinda steps back into a direction that sane people can understand

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 2, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Straight up rip off Graces F battle system and put in a different story and characters, it'll be cheap and I won't be mad Tales studio, promise.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Time to play Berseria

Nina posted:

FFIX came out on the PS4 so it gets to be the RPG of the year again

:yeah:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Persona 5 is a beautifully presented toothless game with nothing to say that will stick to your ribs past the first ten hours.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Persona 5 is a beautifully presented toothless game with nothing to say that will stick to your ribs past the first ten hours.

so, Nier Automata

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Found a game called Graveyard Keeper on Steam that looks pretty cool but all it has for a release date is 2018 :smith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get behind a world view where Berseria is even close to as good as P5. Berseria is really good and Persona 5 has some problems but at the end of the day it's just not even close.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just can't get behind a world view where Berseria is even close to as good as P5. Berseria is really good and Persona 5 has some problems but at the end of the day it's just not even close.

Same except for the opposite. P5 is like twice as long and put all its points into style over substance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, Berseria doesn't even have wacky jokes about how gross the gays are, or let you date your sexy prostitute maid teacher, and it definitely doesn't let you gently caress your sister

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Yeah, Berseria doesn't even have wacky jokes about how gross the gays are, or let you date your sexy prostitute maid teacher, and it definitely doesn't let you gently caress your sister

I'm with corn in the bible here

Also gonna finally finish Undertale this week. Or at least my first run.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why is it not even close?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XtJHoWTMeM

hd remaster when, capcom

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there a mod to make starcraft 2 real time with pause for the campaign missions

like how the gently caress is that not an option, just let me loving pause so i can issue 12 loving build orders and coordinate 4 murderteams, otherwise i'm just going to group every unit into a single "army" and that gets boring even if it is totally effective

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like a boring game then

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Why is it not even close?

I find Persona 5's combat to pretty much be perfection of the turned based combat while Berseria's, while fun, is kind of mashy, provides bad feedback and has mechanics that just don't seem to consistently come out properly. While I know some people had mixed feeling about some of them I pretty much loved all of the main dungeons in P5 and even enjoyed the randomly generated one and would still take that over the sort of haphazard feeling maps of Berseria which mainly involved running forward through enemies that seem to be placed without any thought put into it and puzzles that usually involve running back and forth across the map to hit switches and that's not even getting into some of the post game stuff. Also, I know that some people hate or get bored with the social stuff in P5 but I've always loved that aspect of the series and this is that stuff at it's peak.

While it can be argued that the story in P5 has an inane message that is mishandled at times, I still prefer a story about kids rising up against an older generation that is simultaneously disrespecting and screwing them over to one that is basically about how free will is good and mainly seems to be a reaction to how bad the plot was in a previous game. Also I thought the Berseria kind of lost steam at the end of it's story, while P5, unlike the previous games in the series, actually had a pretty great end game where a bunch of stuff came together in a satisfying way. Yes you can complain about the creepy relationship stuff in P5 but that stuff is pretty easy to not do if you don't want to be creepy. It's not like Berseria also doesn't have weirdness with the relationship between the malakhim and the people they're tied to and just general weird anime sexism poo poo throughout. I can't argue that P5 isn't worse in this regard but it just never became even close to a dealbreaker.

Then just on a more superficial level of graphics and sounds P5 just destroys Berseria but I don't think is arguing that point. Other than that I like the cast of both games about the same and yes I can't excuse the gay panic bs in P5 but it's also like two brief scenes in a 100 hour game, so it still just didn't get in the way of my enjoyment that much

And yes I don't know why I bothered writing all that up because it's just gonna be snarkily dismissed but this is just how I feel about it. I enjoyed Berseria but in comparing it to P5 it's not even a contest for me.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

just general weird anime sexism poo poo throughout.

uh what

a major thing in berseria's plot is dudes loving over women, eizen and rokurou share some jokes but they're also assholes who get drunk as poo poo together. the women in berseria's cast are like, all of the characters who do the most to drive things forward and get all of the biggest development as characters

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 2, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imagine how much better Persona 5 would be without the absolute mountain of interstitial loading screens/short convos/classroom scenes/all that bullshit

like it's a great game but seriously imagine being able to turn off "everything but when you're letting me play the game" :stare:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

imagine how much better Persona 5 would be without the absolute mountain of interstitial loading screens/short convos/classroom scenes/all that bullshit

like it's a great game but seriously imagine being able to turn off "everything but when you're letting me play the game" :stare:

it would be a dungeon crawler, which is a genre that exists. but i play persona for all that stuff, smt is what youre looking for if you want a "gameplay only" option

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

uh what

a major thing in berseria's plot is dudes loving over women, eizen and rokurou share some jokes but they're also assholes who get drunk as poo poo together

It's just the constant discussions the women get into about housework and how passionate they are about it, the discussions about what good wives either Velvet or Elenore would be and just sort of the general sense that part of the tragedy of the game is Velvet was forced away from her dream of always staying her home town and taking care of her family.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if berseria had let velvet gently caress laphicet it'd be more like persona 5, game of all time

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I mean, half the reason I play persona games is for that poo poo :shrug:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

P5 would have been a good game if it wasn't for the ugly rear end in a top hat cat and boring Kanji.

Like, the cat looks normal throughout the day and turns into this ugly monstrosity with a gigantic head when you get to know it, also all the times he would not let me go into dungeons or do anything of import.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

just sort of the general sense that part of the tragedy of the game is Velvet was forced away from her dream of always staying her home town and taking care of her family.

It's definitely hosed up that someone would like to have a family and take care of it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Healbot posted:

P5 would have been a good game if it wasn't for the ugly rear end in a top hat cat and boring Kanji.

This is not what is wrong with the game. You leave Morgana out of this. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Persona 5 has the best turn based JRPG gameplay but at the same time the gameplay systems aren't a priority to how highly I regard a non-action RPG

• Locked thread