Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Koramei posted:

I need to buy a separate mount for it right, it won't fit on normal hard drive ones?

nielsm posted:

If it's a desktop computer just hang it from the cables. SSD's weigh next to nothing and can safely sit loose in the case. Only bother screwing it in if you don't like things potentially rattling about.

Adhesive velcro is the perfect mounting system for SSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a daisy chain of twist ties from loaves of bread holding the 2.5" Evo 840 in one system. This is the same evo I chucked out a second story window onto gravel to demonstrate its durability.

And the same one that ran into the infamous rebiasing issue :suicide101:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a 840 evo to my parents pc when that ssd was new. How important it is to upgrade the firmware? Should I just toss the ssd because it might lose data at some point, and replace it with something else?

Or is the problem only with ssd speeds?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

nielsm posted:

If it's a desktop computer just hang it from the cables. SSD's weigh next to nothing and can safely sit loose in the case. Only bother screwing it in if you don't like things potentially rattling about.

I duct taped mine flat to the bottom of my case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ihmemies posted:

I bought a 840 evo to my parents pc when that ssd was new. How important it is to upgrade the firmware? Should I just toss the ssd because it might lose data at some point, and replace it with something else?

Or is the problem only with ssd speeds?
Updating the firmware and not worrying any more about it is what I did. Nowhere have I seen that the issues it had would extend to data loss, it was always the speeds dipping really badly. After the firmware update that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

But gently caress, have backups on principle. Any SSD can crap out without warning. As can HDDs occasionally.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Updating the firmware and not worrying any more about it is what I did. Nowhere have I seen that the issues it had would extend to data loss, it was always the speeds dipping really badly. After the firmware update that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

But gently caress, have backups on principle. Any SSD can crap out without warning. As can HDDs occasionally.

I have setup offline backups. My parents refuse to use cloud backups out of principle. I'm just wondering if 840 went to the ibm deathstar levels of reliability.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No, that was a certain older Crucial model. No mass death reports from any Samsungs that I've heard.

Also if the drive is the 2.5" SATA variety it needs the firmware update, if it's the m.2/mSATA version then it doesn't apply.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I usually use one or two of these removable mounting squares to slap a SSD onto the drive cage somewhere (usually on Dells where the sata and power cables are naturally routed):
https://smile.amazon.com/Removable-Mounting-Squares-16-Squares-108/dp/B00099E8DM/

A whole box lasts for a lot of SSD installs and I've been able to take them out and move them to new systems as long as you wipe off the drive cage you're adhering them to before you stick them (so they don't just stick to all the dust on the surface).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ihmemies posted:

I have setup offline backups. My parents refuse to use cloud backups out of principle. I'm just wondering if 840 went to the ibm deathstar levels of reliability.

There is no specific threat to your data due to the old 840 firmware issue.

The worst prognosis is that the unpatched 840 evo starts to perform as slow as a good hdd. Patch it and the problem goes away, permanently.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

No, that was a certain older Crucial model. No mass death reports from any Samsungs that I've heard.

Also if the drive is the 2.5" SATA variety it needs the firmware update, if it's the m.2/mSATA version then it doesn't apply.

I can't speak for m.2, but the mSATA version definitely needs the performance restoration firmware, I did two of them. It's a separate firmware number than the SATA 2.5 version, EXT42B6Q, rather than EXT0CB6Q.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My bad, I thought they were one and the same.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So intel is giving away codes for ships in star citizen, a game that doesn’t exist yet, with the optane 900p drives. Are these worth anything? Can I ebay em? :haw:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Citizen-Sabre-Raven-Code-from-Intel-900p-SSD/172988609935?hash=item2846ecb58f:g:RIIAAOSwl9RaA4Q3

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:eyepop: holy poo poo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There are star citizen fans who have paid fifteen thousand United States dollars to buy a completionist bundle of all (*) the ships (**) so this is actually kinda small stakes for them.

* (not actually all the ships)

** (most ships not yet ‘flyable’ in the not-yet-a-real-game)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Star Citizen continues to be more amazing each day, I hear they are now selling virtual land on virtual moons in the space game that will always be virtual

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

So intel is giving away codes for ships in star citizen, a game that doesn’t exist yet, with the optane 900p drives. Are these worth anything? Can I ebay em? :haw:

That game hasn't been released yet? I remember a friend telling me many many many years ago that he bought some Star Citizen poo poo for $100 and me thinking that he's insane for doing that on an unreleased game. I thought that the must have released something by now....

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can we please drown this potential multi-page segue in the bathwater before it grows legs?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sorry dudes. Now I have to figure out the best way to sell them and then buy a lunch (or two!) for my team with the proceeds. Now let us never speak of vaporware games again :haw:

In other news, I got to fiddle with an EDSFF (the ruler) enclosure. Kind of the best of both worlds between m.2 and u.2, small and light and fits in an enclosure while feeling pretty solid.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Star Citizen bundle is kind of cool because you can sell the ship for good money to subsidize your very expensive but fast SSD

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The 4k random QD1 speeds on the 900p are insane. You're talking a regular SSD does upwards of 40-50 MB/s. 900p? Breaking 400 MB/s without a sweat. I just bought a new office chair, Leap V2, and already have 4tb of SATA SSD storage on my main PC. I've run out of SATA ports and need to look at getting a server setup for my Plex media at some point.

But man would I love to have 480 900p in my PC. The throughput you could get with 4-7 of those in a TR build in raid 0.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So here we are on the cusp of 2018 and I still don't see any 2TB M.2 NVMe drives that aren't the 960 Pro (which was released in 2016). Also something that isn't north of $1200 bucks would be good too but literally nothing exists.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I assume that's because the consumer market for SSDs that big is pretty small. Why use 2TB of NAND on a single SSD that sells slowly when you could make 4 500gb or 8 250gb drives that sell very well?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Reviews for Samsungs new OEM drive are appearing now:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12082/the-samsung-pm981-ssd-review-512gb-1tb-phoenix-3d-nand
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,5323.html

This is probably the performance you can expect from the upcoming 980 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I wanted to post this here instead of the PC Building forum. This promo code might or might not work (no way of knowing if it's tied specifically to my email), but if anyone's in the market for up to three 850 EVO 2.5" drives, this code might get you 10% off each of them: SAMN17VTB4CM

I'm also posting it here since there's a higher likelihood of the person who used it *saying* they used it, so there's less of a chance of useless "it didn't work" replies.

It's kind of implied that they have to be added from this page for the code to be valid: https://www.newegg.com/Samsung-Veterans-Discount/EventSaleStore/ID-304

The code expires at midnight PST tonight.

-----

Oh, and in other Samsung news - new NVMe driver, evidently works on everything new all the way back to the SM951: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 1, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And in :cripes: Samsung news, maybe don't take the most recent firmware update for your 960 drive: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-samsung-960-firmware-update-causes-freezes.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tbh since recent windows/linux (win10/server 2016, ubuntu 16 on) I just use the white box nvme drivers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

Tbh since recent windows/linux (win10/server 2016, ubuntu 16 on) I just use the white box nvme drivers.

Well, it seems there's a driver *and* a firmware update - and it's only the latter that has problems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, it seems there's a driver *and* a firmware update - and it's only the latter that has problems.

Oh gotcha, yeah it is usually good to keep the fw updated.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

If you mean built in drivers in windows 10, those are way slower than the specific manufacture drivers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given that earlier it was mentioned the OEM drivers having device specific support, these probably have fastpaths bypassing the NVMe protocol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm, didn’t know the win 10 ones were faster. Hadn’t noticed any difference with win server 2016 at least for the intel p3700s. Will have to check it out!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait what? Win Server 2016 is Windows 10.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:doh: I shoulda known that.

Some vendors don’t seem to offer separate drivers anymore, like HGST. Intel ones I haven’t noticed much of a difference, I had only installed them to update firmware on a drive. Maybe it’s more important on certain vendors?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 gig SSD but I'm struggling with formatting this thing. I opened Disk Management and selected, "New Simple Volume" but this formatting thing is taking a really long time even though I've selected quick format. It'll say it's formatting for about 10 minutes before it stops, say there's an error, and become a RAW drive. Did I gently caress something up here?

edit: Samsung Magician is telling me the drive condition is Good and the firmware is at the latest too. ACHI Mode is on and TRIM Status is at Enabled

keevo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 2, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm thinking either you got a lemon of a drive, or a bad cable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just bought this cable from Fry's today. Only other SATA cables I have appear to be SATA1 cables. Can I use those to test and see if it's a cable issue?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

keevo posted:

I just bought this cable from Fry's today. Only other SATA cables I have appear to be SATA1 cables. Can I use those to test and see if it's a cable issue?

yes

Also if you have the drive installed in a location where the cable is doing tight turns, or the case might be pinching or putting force on the connector, try just letting it sit in the bottom of the case to test it. Or somewhere with the cable going loosely to the drive.

Sata cables are occasionally finicky about physical installation, for example having one folded tightly in half is a good way to give a drive all kinds of screwy problems. Behind-the-mobo SSD caddies are sometimes really bad at this. It's not helped by the cables being flat, so they feel like they should be good to go through 90 degree corners.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 2, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just fitted a motherboard and had SATA problems, and it was a combination of a cable being bad, and 3 of the ports being disabled because an nvme drive was installed.

I think that's the first time I've ever had a hosed up sata cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I think that's the first time I've ever had a hosed up sata cable.

Oh man, I guess you never used a sata cable that came free in the mobo box during the first couple years of sata? They were terribad.

Nothing like plugging in the cable, having the super-thin plastic on the plug immediately break for no apparent reason so that it wouldn't keep a good connection on the contacts, throwing it away and pulling out the other cable, and having that one break too.