Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can get a one-use item in treasure chests called an Overdrive that lets you swap Drivers for a Blade.

Neither. You're aiming for the brighter section.

Oh ok so whichever of the two is brighter? Makes more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In all seriousness, keep it on English if only for when you encounter that character. Do share your thoughts after it :munch:.

I'm hoping that if you switch languages and use the cutscene viewer I'm told exists somewhere in the menu it uses the language you've set it to so I can go rewatch and compare and stuff, so if true what really matters is my mood for barks.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Somehow (and note here I'm just starting chapter 3, so I'm sure there's more) this game seems to have less byzantine bullshit than XC1 and especially XCX. Like, I'm still spending segments of downtime in menus juggling accessories, SP, WP, blades, chips, cores, pouch items, town development, shop deeds, and more. But combat feels cleaner and I feel much more in control than I did in XCX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A question about something in Chapter 4; What were they trying to infer about Nia when she and Mythra were chatting in the Hot Springs?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I got extremely high last night and accidentally spent 10 minutes looking at the glass orbs hanging on a net in one of the doorways in the first main town because of how amazingly well it captured the light reflecting in it.

Game owns so far.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I guess the art book spoils something about Poppi? Do I just keep getting and spending ether crystals on her to get her to digivolve or is it plot mandated

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lodin posted:

Didn't one of the (lovely) tutorials straight up say that luck affects getting uniques?

Not sure - I am not far enough to use cores yet which is why I was asking, but I'll keep an eye out for that tutorial.

Miltith75
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone know the location of 'Supercharged Alfonso' in Gormott? I've got two rare blades that want to defeat him.

One thing I would have liked to be included is a way to mark the enemies required by Affinity charts general area on the map. It's somewhat frustrating running around trying to find the enemies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miltith75 posted:

Does anyone know the location of 'Supercharged Alfonso' in Gormott? I've got two rare blades that want to defeat him.

One thing I would have liked to be included is a way to mark the enemies required by Affinity charts general area on the map. It's somewhat frustrating running around trying to find the enemies.

I'm surprised there wasn't a strategy guide to go with the game's launch. XCX got a massive hardcover edition for theirs, and it was damned handy for collecting poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does your luck stat help you get rarer items from collection points? I need muscle branches for this quest and they are super rare.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Are you able to eventually grind out all of your "affinity boosts" for your actual characters, the drivers, or do you need to sort of think of a build? It looks like it's something you can just grind out, but I seem to remember in Xenoblade 1, you had to kind of have a build planned out for your characters, you couldnt just get everything they had on their skill tree, right?

^^^ I'm not sure. Ive got bad luck in this game, I think, but I was able to get those pretty easily, I think, I actually had them all by the time I even did that quest. I did hit up every collection point I came across as I saw it though, and I did a bit of salvaging, trying to find stuff for cash and rare items. The drops are organized by what collection point they come from, but I dont think they ALWAYS work that way, Ive gotten what looked like a flower item from a collection point in the water and got some wood collectables from a random spot in a field.

I think you might just try checking different collection points. Ones that are clearly on wood will only drop logs, but ones at the base of trees drop other items like flowers and bugs and poo poo, and ones in the middle of fields or flower patches or next to pools of water will sometimes drop things like food items, things that are like "plant parts" too.

I also might have just had a huge hoard of items because I had been kinda grinding, trying to do all the quests before progressing the plot, because Im playing this like Xenoblade 1 which it's apparently not, so I was like level 13 before giving up on trying to solo some of the quests, and then when I got the second character and I completed all the quests I could so I was level 15 before going into the enemy base to rescue the third character. I may be playing the game wrong. The random battles outside in the world wreck me, but I'm overleveled for plot battles.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 3, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've just arrived at my third Titan. I'm glad of things like bonus exp at inns, I was able to boost myself a very needed three levels to beat that last boss.

Each area is great. It's gonna be tough to beat Uraya as Prettiest Location in all Existence but I'm excited to see some more extreme biomes.

AciddTripp
Feb 13, 2006

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut

Miltith75 posted:

Make sure it is low tide and you can find him at Masrah Spring in Gormott Lower Level. Old Ghostwood Road is the nearest landmark.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd also like some thing that tells me which regions of the map which enemy species like to live in. There's a handful of quality-of-life options that the map and quest screens could really use. It's probably going to be the game's biggest drawback, it can make sidequesting a big pain.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Not being able to read tutorials over and over again seems like such a weird misstep. I’m really hoping it gets patched in but for the meantime I guess I’ll screenshot most of them so I can go back to check them later.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Calaveron posted:

So I guess the art book spoils something about Poppi? Do I just keep getting and spending ether crystals on her to get her to digivolve or is it plot mandated

The second form is plot, the third form comes from a side quest.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a quest to find a White Rhino Beetle for some kid in Torigoth. They said it was near Seigle Fell in the morning but I can't find it. That's the 5-7 AM window with a different icon next to the clock, right? What gathering points should I be using because I'm just hitting them all but I can fast travel and spam one if needed.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So as a non-native english speaker, I rather prefer the japanese dub. But I'm a little concerned, that there are no subitles for ingame banter and battle dialogue.
Will I miss a lot essential/important dialogue by using the japanes dub?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Caphi posted:

I'm hoping that if you switch languages and use the cutscene viewer I'm told exists somewhere in the menu it uses the language you've set it to so I can go rewatch and compare and stuff, so if true what really matters is my mood for barks.

The cutscene viewer is on the title screen.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm only into chapter 2, but how rare are rare cores? I've probably had 20ish commons drop as random loot, but I've only seen 3 rares and they were from a boss fight and two chests.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Saxophone posted:

I'm only into chapter 2, but how rare are rare cores? I've probably had 20ish commons drop as random loot, but I've only seen 3 rares and they were from a boss fight and two chests.

They're rare

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Really enjoying playing without the minimap on, as well as trying not to activate sidequests, but would it kill them to have given us a compass somewhere on the hud?

McCheese
May 1, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a quest to find a White Rhino Beetle for some kid in Torigoth. They said it was near Seigle Fell in the morning but I can't find it. That's the 5-7 AM window with a different icon next to the clock, right? What gathering points should I be using because I'm just hitting them all but I can fast travel and spam one if needed.

It's not a generic gathering point for that one. You have to get high tide and jump off the left side of the map and it's on a little island in the cloud sea

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Think you can take me? Think you can take me? Think you can take me?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If it is the right time off day you should have a quest marker for it.

Miltith75
Oct 29, 2011

AciddTripp posted:

Make sure it is low tide and you can find him at Masrah Spring in Gormott Lower Level. Old Ghostwood Road is the nearest landmark.

Thanks for the help.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So the Beastly Core you get as part of the story in Chapter 3 becomes usable in Chapter 4 and unlocks Wulfric, an Earth Spear Attacker who looks like a fuckoff demon.

He is probably the best blade I've seen and a step above even the other rares. loving insane battle skills (+100% damage at max affinity, 100% chance to negate block etc) coupled with 5 ranks of super strengtj, 5 earth master and 5 focus.

Slap him on Rex and goddamn is he a monster. Also lets you combo pretty well with Pyra.

McCheese
May 1, 2011
Has anyone later in the game found source of the overdrive items that let you switch blades between characters, or are they just super rare forever?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

McCheese posted:

It's not a generic gathering point for that one. You have to get high tide and jump off the left side of the map and it's on a little island in the cloud sea
Oh, it's like the Buoyweed quest! And I am at low tide which explains that. Thanks a bunch!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Where can I find Crawling Caterpiles in Gormott?

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

wilbur.walsh posted:

So as a non-native english speaker, I rather prefer the japanese dub. But I'm a little concerned, that there are no subitles for ingame banter and battle dialogue.
Will I miss a lot essential/important dialogue by using the japanes dub?

Still only on chapter 2 but so far I heard no plot related dialogue without subs if that helps. There are some unsubbed dialogue that fleshes out character relationships just a teeeensy bit but it's nothing critical.

I checked out the English dub out of curiosity and holy moly it's quite something.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I just met zekenator and now need to go to the city, the stairs are blocked by a high wall surrounded by water though. Where do I go? Do I need to unblock the spillway?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's definitely a Chrono Cross leitmotif usage in a track or two in this game

Edit: or maybe Trigger, but one of them

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I love to jump into patches of clouds in this game, especially from great height. It's so fluffy and satisfying.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

triple cuck posted:

There's definitely a Chrono Cross leitmotif usage in a track or two in this game

Edit: or maybe Trigger, but one of them

Holy hell, ok, glad I wasn't just hearing things.

I'm wondering if rare crystals are at a set amount and commons appear here and there or what. On the one hand, I love the mystery of figuring stuff out. On the other, drat is there a lot of stuff to figure out. Hell, I don't even know what the drat boosters do.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

numerrik posted:

So I just met zekenator and now need to go to the city, the stairs are blocked by a high wall surrounded by water though. Where do I go? Do I need to unblock the spillway?

Yeah, if you eyeball it from those land bridges you can see a path down below that loops upwards to the other side of the spillway. Critters are nasty around there, though, so watch yourself. You should have the Field skills you need to take it down.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 3, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

numerrik posted:

Yeah. Unblock the spillway and follow the road there, you can't actually get to the big staircase you sort of go around.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Adept Nightingale posted:

It keeps doing this and it's driving me up a wall.

Game is still great, though.

For gently caress's sake, you're absolutely right. It's patently absurd to absolutely wipe the floor with some poor bastard and then the cutscene shows us how "badass" they are after they've just been handed their own rear end char-broiled on a silver platter.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
oh snap on the third titan...

you know those long gently caress off stairs from the town of fonsa myma? you can ride the water slide down and jump to the broken section if you time it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Sniper Brent in upper left Torgoth and the wings he flew in on. Suck my dick you fuckeagle!