Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm probably going to buy this because I'm a gigantic loser who left his PS2 on a lot to fall asleep to those soothing waves.

IIRC it's free from Dec 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This on a late-90's Sony analog receiver with big-rear end tower speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mOjHzTFiQ

That last bass note packs a punch. Half the time it went on to play Giga Wing, by far the loudest game I had. My poor downstairs neighbors. I was an inconsiderate poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You know what's funny? Plugging your Gameboy into a huge stereo setup.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Casimir Radon posted:

You know what's funny? Plugging your Gameboy into a huge stereo setup.

Did that with my DS in dad's basement studio and played the poo poo out of Golden Sun 1 and 2 on it. It sounded awful and it made the screen vibrate.

Admittedly I could have at least picked something with a bit more fidelity than a GBA game to play with it...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JVC-Taiy...poAAOSwckhZeBCM

Can anyone tell if these are real taiyo yudens?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
These are the ones I bought a year ago, they look pretty similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00065DGYQ/

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I've been burning ps1, Saturn, dreamcast, tgcd, and Sega CD games for the past year, at least 300 discs this year, and I just use cheap Memorex discs from target and a $20 LG usb burner at max speed (variable macinf at 20x) and have burned maybe 10 discs that didn't work and most of those were bad images that burned fine when I downloaded a different image. It's not that complicated.

The only ones that would give any trouble besides maybe some stuttering on FMVs are dreamcast isos that aren't compressed in some way to fit on the disc, right?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm probably going to buy this because I'm a gigantic loser who left his PS2 on a lot to fall asleep to those soothing waves.

I did this too. I actually wanted that thing as a screensaver; it was a cool (if extremely nerdy) way to have a clock :kimchi:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

On another topic, I'm almost done building my Neo Geo cabinet which probably evntaully become a multigame JAMMA thing.

I think I must use Handre's artwork as the bezel. I emailed him for his blessing and to see if he still sells prints too. It looks like he was permabanned from SA 10 years ago for some reason.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I picked up a Race Drivin' cab for $300 a couple weeks ago. It crashed in attract mode, made a nasty buzzing noise, and the controls didn't work. The showroom I saw it in said they were sick of fixing it. I put in a new power supply and ordered new NVRAM chips (they used a calendar chip and 8K ZRAM chip with lithium batteries in them) and now there's no more buzzing, it doesn't crash anymore, and the controls mostly work. There's something wrong with the brake pedal linkage (the strain gauge is thankfully OK) and there's a bad cap in the monitor or something.

It's still pretty dirty and the back of the cabinet is a mess but it works!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Luigi Thirty posted:

I picked up a Race Drivin' cab for $300 a couple weeks ago. It crashed in attract mode, made a nasty buzzing noise, and the controls didn't work. The showroom I saw it in said they were sick of fixing it. I put in a new power supply and ordered new NVRAM chips (they used a calendar chip and 8K ZRAM chip with lithium batteries in them) and now there's no more buzzing, it doesn't crash anymore, and the controls mostly work. There's something wrong with the brake pedal linkage (the strain gauge is thankfully OK) and there's a bad cap in the monitor or something.

It's still pretty dirty and the back of the cabinet is a mess but it works!

Its funny. Today I was playing gran turismo sport with a high tech wheel and a driving chair and I still wanna give that cabinet a try.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ineffiable posted:

Its funny. Today I was playing gran turismo sport with a high tech wheel and a driving chair and I still wanna give that cabinet a try.

It was the most realistic driving simulator of the late '80s! The wheel is motorized with a big heavy-duty DC motor. It's got 3 tracks and 3 cars with unique driving models. The brake pedal even uses a strain gauge assembly instead of a pot because the response is closer to a real car. They consulted with Doug Milliken, whose father invented computerized car models, to get the thing tuned and driving as realistically as possible. It's super fun and challenging. The division of Atari that developed it split off in the early '90s and is still in business making driving simulators for police and drivers ed classes.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

And a cow with at least 12 polygons.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Y'all still posting shelving solutions?

I couldn't find one that would be able to handle the Master System, so built my own. Other than forgetting to cut three of the shelves, it turned out pretty well. Gonna paint it in a month or two and will have the other shelves soon. Haven't settled on a PVM yet, still holding out for a 20L5.

There's also two side shelves with old video equipment and the 1st gen systems, but they're under a pile of more games junk.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sir Tonk posted:

Y'all still posting shelving solutions?

I couldn't find one that would be able to handle the Master System, so built my own. Other than forgetting to cut three of the shelves, it turned out pretty well. Gonna paint it in a month or two and will have the other shelves soon. Haven't settled on a PVM yet, still holding out for a 20L5.

There's also two side shelves with old video equipment and the 1st gen systems, but they're under a pile of more games junk.

Fist of the North Star, hell yes :respek:

Slowly but surely redoing all of my shelving and organization. I've been making a massive push to get rid of stuff I don't need, and actually hook up and use the stuff that's just collecting dust. Also, I'll get pictures later, but holy dicks does S-Video on the 1702 look amazing. I'm running a Retropie through a $30 hdmi to s-video/composite box, then into the chroma/luma, and... wow. I need to fix the scaling/overscan because I'm ending up with a box in the center of the monitor instead of an image out to the very edges, but drat does it look good.

e. this is the hdmi to s-video box I'm using

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

On another topic, I'm almost done building my Neo Geo cabinet which probably evntaully become a multigame JAMMA thing.

I think I must use Handre's artwork as the bezel. I emailed him for his blessing and to see if he still sells prints too. It looks like he was permabanned from SA 10 years ago for some reason.

But those aren't neo geo games :spergin:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

One of them is! Good enough.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Those late 80's 3D games are probably my favorite thing Atari did. S.T.U.N. Runner hooked me as a kid like nothing else did, it was a really "holy poo poo it's the future" moment, back when the future was still gonna be really cool

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Code Jockey posted:

Fist of the North Star, hell yes :respek:

Slowly but surely redoing all of my shelving and organization. I've been making a massive push to get rid of stuff I don't need, and actually hook up and use the stuff that's just collecting dust. Also, I'll get pictures later, but holy dicks does S-Video on the 1702 look amazing. I'm running a Retropie through a $30 hdmi to s-video/composite box, then into the chroma/luma, and... wow. I need to fix the scaling/overscan because I'm ending up with a box in the center of the monitor instead of an image out to the very edges, but drat does it look good.

e. this is the hdmi to s-video box I'm using

For real, s-video is great for old analog signals. Too bad the connector is a goddamn nightmare.

We should've just gone with BNC for everything instead of HDMI.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My local meijer has all these cool looking retro portables for $20 or $30 depending on the model. A very cursory google says they’re filled with knock off and public domain games.

I’m wondering if these can be hacked to run real 8 or 16 bit roms? I’m a sucker for the handheld form factor (especially the GBA and DMG formfactors) and color screen but it’s not really worth the cost unless they can run real games.

Anyone know about these or know if they’re hackable? Google is weirdly returning forum posts from 2005, so I’m guessing these share a name with a different system?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My local meijer has all these cool looking retro portables for $20 or $30 depending on the model. A very cursory google says they’re filled with knock off and public domain games.

I’m wondering if these can be hacked to run real 8 or 16 bit roms? I’m a sucker for the handheld form factor (especially the GBA and DMG formfactors) and color screen but it’s not really worth the cost unless they can run real games.

Anyone know about these or know if they’re hackable? Google is weirdly returning forum posts from 2005, so I’m guessing these share a name with a different system?

The Flashback (and Flashback 2) were plug and play systems of a decade ago---and the FB2 was so good at being a 2600 in a box that it had space on the mainboard to install a cartridge connector if you wanted to get fancy and just turn it into a 2600. Also it had paddle games built in if you put a secret code (U,Dx9,Ux7,Dx2 IIRC - for 1972, the year of Pong) in with the joysticks then plugged in actual 2600 paddles, so that's most likely what you're seeing in your google results. I don't know anything about these current boxes you're asking about, sadly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The original Atari Flashback used a full 6502 system based on an NES design, with games somewhat reprogrammed to work through that, and featuring both 2600 and 7800 games done through that method.

The Atari Flashback 2 is a system on a chip design that accurately recreates the Atari 2600 hardware with nearly full compatibility, and has space left ont he motherboard with appropriate traces so you can solder in a cartridge connector and play real carts. Because it doesn't correct implement certain things that were missing on the original Atari 2600, it does miss a few games, especially homebrew software that uses demoscene tricks. 3 revisions were released, with the second one taking care of most incompatibilities and the third making installing the cartridge port even easier.

The Atari Flashback 2+ is the same design but more built in games.

The Atari Flashback 3-8 are ARM systems with 2600 and 7800 emulation, with progressively larger amounts of built in games and in the latest models pretty decent wireless controllers. The latest one which came out in September, the Flashback 8, also has an edition with HDMI out support. The emulation is top-notch on all of them, especially the latest ones, but it's kind of a bummer that you're just stuck to the built in 70-130 games depending on model.

The two Atari Flashback Portable models are based on the same hardware/emulation in their year's corresponding Atari Flashback, albeit one (or both? I forget) have an SD card to let you put roms on it. So that's kinda nice I guess.

All of these devices mentioned have included at least some homebrew/modern/unreleased/prototype content instead of strictly original cartridge releases, but there's always a decent grip of original cartridge releases. One nice thing is that some of the latest ones ship with a homebrew better Pac-Man.

Those good devices aside, the MyArcade stuff is iirc all based on an improved spec of the NES-on-a-chip which lets you use more colors onscreen at once but otherwise is the same capability as normal NES hardware. This is a common design in recent famiclones and stuff and most of the games are made by modern third parties, combined with straight up stolen games/cloned games from back in the day, often straight from pirate carts released for the Famicom. They usually kinda suck, but sometimes there's a game on them that's actually really good - not really worth gambling for.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 5, 2017

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

That button layout is a travesty.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Virtual...T8AAOSwax5YvcIP

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

does anyone here have experience with pi2jamma or arpicade raspberry JAMMA? looking for a relatively cheap way to play romzzz on the cab, mostly golden age stuff where the emulation's pretty much perfect. I have very little experience with these kind of setups or raspberry pis in general.

e: honestly should I just get one of those chinariffic game elf 412 in 1 boards, I mean how bad can the emulation of poo poo like donkey kong and ladybug be?

e2:

quote from someone's review of the game elf:

quote:

I play on a 25 inch vertical monitor, which greatly amplifies the video shortcomings of the 412 PCB. Have you ever watched a full screen Youtube video over a slow connection? Notice how certain parts of the screen do not refresh along with others? This is about the video quality of the 412. It looks better on a smaller screen.

lol nevermind

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 5, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I'm in research mode on those pi boards right now as well, so I'm also super curious. I may buy one or the other this week, I keep changing my mind on which one to get. I think the software and the folks behind it are the main difference at this point.

Arpicade aka RaspberryJAMMA -
Pro: Software documentation better, software itsself better, booting/loading games conceals linux prompts and looks cleaner, Works on rpi2 or rpi3.

Con: Uses HDMI output and converts back to VGA

pi2jamma -
Pro: Uses GPIO pinouts for video (not hdmi), should in theory have less lag, ROMs stored on separate USB stick (not the SD card that hosts the OS) so you can pull it, add more, put it back in.

Con: Requires rpi3 for GPIO, Software a bit engrishy, it's from German guy but there's an active facespace community and he's messaged me on there when I've asked a few questions. I loaded the software and the filesystem layout on the pi is a shitshow, they threw files all over the place with wonky permissions and illogical directories. I don't really trust what they did. Also files are all on MEGA download and require an app to download because they're large, vs just hosting them on the website. Definitely seems more like a group of not so good software folks hacking away collaboratively.

Even areas: They cost similar €109 vs $145. The pi version probably isn't a huge deal but I have a few 2's laying around and no 3's. You can just get an SD card pre loaded for extra $ for either case.

I loaded the Arpicade image but need to eyeball it better. Honestly I don't see why one couldn't use the image for one on the other if one just tweaks config.txt to get the right drivers and whatnot.

My requirements are something closer to plug and play that looks nice and is friendly for anyone who walks up to it, so I think Arpicade is for me. But I drat video from GPIO sounds slick.

Edit: jammaforums.co.uk has lots of folks hacking at those xxx in 1's with their own image, it looks fairly early on but it should get better. They're mainly just loading more ROMs and console emulators vs fixing things. I really just want to play Burgertime dammit, and Ive heard all of those pandora's box things have lovely scaling/sai/etc enabled by default and you cant turn it off.

falz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 5, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a pi2scart from those same guys and I like it a lot. The pi is just used for arcade emulation for me. The emulation is based on libretro and specifically the mame-2003 core because even a pi3 can't do much better. Pi2scart and pi2jamma use HDMI over gpio to achieve what they are doing. Emulation of the games emphasizes speed over accuracy. From your other posts in here d0s, I can't imagine you being satisfied with it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It's not really HDMI over GPIO is it? It's DPI, which perhaps is still digital but is converted to RGB, like the gert VGA 666.. which I guess says in the docs (https://github.com/fenlogic/vga666/blob/master/documents/vga_manual.pdf) "The adapter uses a simple resistor ladder network as digital to analogue converter." So yeah, maybe it is HDMI-ish (digital).

https://pinout.xyz/pinout/dpi
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94424

Either way, I think it's all about the software. I'll report back in about the Arpicade rpi image later to see if it too is a shitshow or not.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK this is hilarious because I just bought the mini arcade cabinet one yesterday while I was at Target because they had them for $8 there (looked like they were clearing them out).

The weird thing I noticed was how much I love the screen. I expected one of those deals where everything is running at the wrong aspect ratio and wrong resolution but no, it's oddly great looking. I wish I could explain exactly what I mean but it's razor sharp and low resolution in a good way. Reminds me of the GBA Micro screen even though it's bigger, if that makes sense. I wonder if there's anything cool I can do with just the screen.

I can crack it open sometime next week and see if there's a USB port somewhere or something

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Limited Run games are releasing "NES Style" special edition os Double Dragon IV and River City Melee. Basically the PS4 game case in a black NES style dust sleeve, and then in an NES style box. Even though I have DDIV already, these are the first Limited Run games I kinda want to buy. Miss the NES boxes and pissed my parents/sisters toss all of ours ( I was too young to care).

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK this is hilarious because I just bought the mini arcade cabinet one yesterday while I was at Target because they had them for $8 there (looked like they were clearing them out).

The weird thing I noticed was how much I love the screen. I expected one of those deals where everything is running at the wrong aspect ratio and wrong resolution but no, it's oddly great looking. I wish I could explain exactly what I mean but it's razor sharp and low resolution in a good way. Reminds me of the GBA Micro screen even though it's bigger, if that makes sense. I wonder if there's anything cool I can do with just the screen.

I can crack it open sometime next week and see if there's a USB port somewhere or something

For $8 I'd grab that Gameboy looking one. Why didn't they angle the buttons on the GB Micro ripoff like they did on the Gameboy ripoff? There was room.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 5, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They did this SMS style with Wonder Boy 3: Dragons Trap and it ruled. I don't know who is programming those games but they should do what Omar did which is have an in-game button to switch between original artwork and new artwork. Oh and music too.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

fishmech posted:

Those good devices aside, the MyArcade stuff is iirc all based on an improved spec of the NES-on-a-chip which lets you use more colors onscreen at once but otherwise is the same capability as normal NES hardware. This is a common design in recent famiclones and stuff and most of the games are made by modern third parties, combined with straight up stolen games/cloned games from back in the day, often straight from pirate carts released for the Famicom.

I looked at the game screenshots on the box for one of these at Kohl's and one that jumped out at me was clearly a reskin/hack/clone of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
[quote="“Discount Viscount”" post="“479041063”"]
I looked at the game screenshots on the box for one of these at Kohl’s and one that jumped out at me was clearly a reskin/hack/clone of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.
[/quote]

These are really cool, a lot like the HDNes emulator. The underlying code is clearly running the same game, but there’s a 16 bit looking Panda instead of Mario and you hear all new sound effects.

I’d love to understand more about these on a technical level, especially if we could make our own mods.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What's on those things anyway? I'm assuming it's a bunch of low quality 8-bit game clones. I need to drop by Target anyway, might give this a shot if they're around here for $8.

Related; Christmas is coming and I need to finally get off my rear end and get my father some way to play NES games again. He's pretty much wheelchair bound now so I need something with wireless controllers and that he can switch games without getting up. Looks like the best bet is probably to get a modded Wii but there's a few things I'm not certain about. Is a specific model required to mod it for an NES emulator? How hard/easy is the process?

My family has $50 budget for gifts for each other for Christmas. I'd like to keep it in the ballpark but I'm willing to go somewhat over for this (and just not tell him) since he's homebound and I want to give him something more to do.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
A modded NES Classic Edition with an 8bitdo controller would be perfect, too bad they are pricey.

I guess a retroPi with an 8bitdo controller?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I guess a retroPi with an 8bitdo controller?

If you wanted to go that route, I noticed this earlier today.

https://twitter.com/KinjaDeals/status/938077557261586434

That's got everything you need except controllers, and it'll take just about any Bluetooth or USB controller you throw at it. A pair of SNES clone USB controllers is pretty cheap.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You can run NES emulators on a modded Wii, sure. I think all hardware revisions are fine. It's not terribly difficult, but you have to go through the Complete Softmod Guide which could take a while.

The problem with a Wii is that the video quality isn't great on modern TVs unless you locate component cables and your TV has a decent scaler. For running an NES emulator the regular composite cables are probably fine, but not all TVs have composite inputs anymore. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with a modded Wii unless he already has a Wii or you want to run Wii or GameCube games. There's homebrew backup loaders for both though, so you can play Wii/GC games without having to swap discs.

For just NES emulation, a NES Classic (if you can find one) or RetroPi would be easier.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to disagree slightly, of course subject to your needs and uses. A softmodded Wii is surprisingly user-friendly and versatile, as well as cheap and easily-sourced, with guaranteed wireless controllers and it at least used to be much easier to sort out decent controllers via the Classic Controllers Pro, but I recognize those are getting a little hard to come by. I'd be more inclined to recommend that approach if you were getting it for someone who wasn't technically savvy, since they're difficult for someone to mess up the install for and the "flow" of how to do things like launch emulators or VC games is more approachable to many. And if you get Classic Controllers, the buttons are correctly labeled for Nintendo stuff.

You lose out on the RPi's higher-end emulation options like PS1 and 32x games but gain Gamecube and Wii native support.

Also, at least for most VC channels (not sure on the unofficial emulators) you can get 240p output to a CRT. And you have proper analog out if you're hooking up to a CRT.

And hey, if you already have a Wii+accessories you're not using, that could end up being substantially cheaper to get going.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah most if not all unofficial emulators for wii output 240p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, a CRT with component inputs + a Wii is a great way to play old games, especially now that there are a bunch of retro-style controllers (some made by Nintendo directly) that plug into the Wii remote.