Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a good post rock band that has normal length songs? Like, I'm basically looking for an ADD Mogwai to listen to. Vocals or no vocals is fine. I just don't want many songs over 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a good post rock band that has normal length songs? Like, I'm basically looking for an ADD Mogwai to listen to. Vocals or no vocals is fine. I just don't want many songs over 5 minutes.

Maybeshewill and 65daysofstatic

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybeshewill and 65daysofstatic
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QabfRVxdDc

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm looking for some songs to help me work through grief. My eighteen year old nice took her own life over the weekend and I'm struggling to process everything. I just need stuff to listen to for the moments when I'm alone and want to sink into the grief and deal with the loss.

To give you an idea of the stuff I'm looking for, so far I have:

LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
Neutral Milk Hotel - You've Passed
Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

And So I Watch You From Afar are another good one

Ehud posted:

I'm looking for some songs to help me work through grief. My eighteen year old nice took her own life over the weekend and I'm struggling to process everything. I just need stuff to listen to for the moments when I'm alone and want to sink into the grief and deal with the loss.

Is something like this year’s Mount Eerie album too much? It’s a quiet folk record about the death of his wife four months after they had a baby. I was listening to it while pondering a friend’s passing recently, but she also died three years ago and I don’t know if I would have handled it well in the immediate aftermath. It is an absolutely brutal album.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 23, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ehud posted:

Carrie & Lowell, both the studio album and the live album, is a soul crushing experience about Sufjan Stevens' mother and him coming to terms with her death. It helps when I'm depressed, and if it can do that I hope it'll help you too. I'm sorry.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

Very sorry to hear about that. Please stay safe.

I listened to a bunch of The Antlers - Hospice when I was going through a rough patch a few years ago and it helped me.

If you need to listen to some lighter stuff my go to happy song is September by Earth Wind and Fire

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
I'm looking for something a little specific, but hopefully y'all can point me in the right direction. I'm really in love with Boris' "Flood," specifically the second section (link). I'm a big fan of ambient/electronic music (to give an idea of the angle I'm coming from and my tastes), and was wondering if there is more rock music in this vein (muted/absent drums, pleasant chords/melody, maybe a little fuzzy and reverb-heavy), and what might be a good road to go down in finding more of it.

warez fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 25, 2017

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

low, bedhead / the new year, codeine, galaxie 500 / luna, labradford, jessamine

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 25, 2017

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Radio Spiricom posted:

low, bedhead / the new year, codeine, galaxie 500 / luna, labradford, jessamine

Low and Labradford are close to what I had in mind. Many thanks!

(I also now have a new Christmas album to torture my family with. score!)

warez fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 25, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ehud posted:

The album that's been best for me when I've had low periods is Spiritualized's 'Ladies And Gentlemen... We Are Floating In Space'. It hits just about every bad nerve but always leaves me feeling better at the end than the beginning... which sounds like something you need.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Ehud posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. When my son died, I listened to a lot of Songs:Ohia, particularly Didn't It Rain, and found Jason's songs very helpful, so you might too.

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

I recently stumbled upon Elliott Smith and I'm amazed it took me this long to discover such an awesome artist in one of my favorite genres. I'm wondering if there might be other rock artists that I should know about. Examples of rock I like are mostly grunge/90's alternative such as Elliot Smith, Pixies, Nirvana, and Smashing Pumpkins, but I also like post-2000 Beck, and some upbeat stuff like Franz Ferdinand. Any suggestions for similar stuff?

10thAvenue fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 30, 2017

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Ehud posted:

I listened to Beck's album "Morning Phase" during the week where I was in and out of a hospital with complications leading to a miscarriage at 19 weeks. It was melancholy enough to match my mood, while also being somewhat soothing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Who out there is doing their best imitations of The Cure? Any era of The Cure. What bands out there do you listen to and go "drat, they must have had Disintegration on all the time when they were sitting alone in their room."

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Who out there is doing their best imitations of The Cure? Any era of The Cure. What bands out there do you listen to and go "drat, they must have had Disintegration on all the time when they were sitting alone in their room."
cursive cursive cursive cursive

"The Recluse"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeQNmGknak

"I Couldn't Love You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf207yXVfL4

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Epi Lepi posted:

The Eagulls "Ullages" is pretty much my second favorite Cure album, behind Disintegration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Juhhy4VwgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FP1NKNMOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExvgSzMHEzM

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

i'm not a huge fan personally but the first xx album is a dead ringer for seventeen seconds era cure

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dig Florence And The Machine? Check out Alice Merton - No Roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUdyuKaGQd4

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So my girlfriend has gotten me to listen to the Mountain Goats and I’m hooked. I’ve been listening to their Spotify account so I have an idea for their greatest hits. But if I now wanna dig deeper, what albums should I get.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So my girlfriend has gotten me to listen to the Mountain Goats and I’m hooked. I’ve been listening to their Spotify account so I have an idea for their greatest hits. But if I now wanna dig deeper, what albums should I get.

You should try this thread, which really should be pinned:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2761269

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Tallahassee, All Hail West Texas, The Sunset Tree, Beat the Champ, and Goths

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

10thAvenue posted:

I recently stumbled upon Elliott Smith and I'm amazed it took me this long to discover such an awesome artist in one of my favorite genres. I'm wondering if there might be other rock artists that I should know about. Examples of rock I like are mostly grunge/90's alternative such as Elliot Smith, Pixies, Nirvana, and Smashing Pumpkins, but I also like post-2000 Beck, and some upbeat stuff like Franz Ferdinand. Any suggestions for similar stuff?

Veruca Salt - American Thighs is probably the most underrated grunge album. Local H - As Good As Dead is solid too. But probably the best overall album from the early 90s is Faith No More - Angel Dust

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

10thAvenue posted:

Do you want to narrow it down at all? Between basically all 90's indie/grunge rock/emo, and post 2000's beck and early 2000's dance rock, I'd have a thousand recommendations but I don't even know where to start.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I simultaneously love and hate these. Looking for more songs in the same vein.

https://youtu.be/2UrPALZGHvk

https://youtu.be/z4vx0WkzTH4

https://youtu.be/LKS1XSiyGYQ

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

BigRed0427 posted:

If you want to dig deeper, do what the others said but also these:

Full Force Galesburg (probably the best of the middle era, some lofi, some 4-track recordings)
We Shall All be Healed (best hifi album imo)
Nine Black Poppies
Devil in the Shortwave EP (find the version that's not 1/3 of a step higher than recorded)
Life of the World to Come
Sweden

and for all the random other EPs and singles, just get Ghana and Protein Source of the Future Now!

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKsPy85Ap6A

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJQk0jDZx8o

and maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtL5oMyBHPs

Sleepstupid fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 5, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

If you want to dig deeper, do what the others said but also these:

Full Force Galesburg (probably the best of the middle era, some lofi, some 4-track recordings)
We Shall All be Healed (best hifi album imo)
Nine Black Poppies
Devil in the Shortwave EP (find the version that's not 1/3 of a step higher than recorded)
Life of the World to Come
Sweden

and for all the random other EPs and singles, just get Ghana and Protein Source of the Future Now!

This and the last post nailed it, but I'd just like to add Nothing For Juice to this list.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Why am I so loving picky? Unless it's *very* similar to one of my 10 favorite artists (Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, NiN, etc) growing up I just can't get interested. Hip-hop is an exception for some reason, I latch onto new stuff pretty quick

warez
Mar 13, 2003

FrozenLederhosen posted:

Why am I so loving picky? Unless it's *very* similar to one of my 10 favorite artists (Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, NiN, etc) growing up I just can't get interested. Hip-hop is an exception for some reason, I latch onto new stuff pretty quick

maybe your taste stagnated? idk. or you wind up comparing new things that are in a similar vein to those favorites and judging them as lesser imitations. I'm a really big aphex twin fan and there are definitely artists from newer generations that are just as creative and skilled at songwriting/production to be found if you're open to finding them (on a more home-listening/ambient tip, oneohtrix point never scratches a lot of the same itches for me and similarly works in a super broad spectrum of electronic music genres; if you're more interested in the dancefloor-oriented stuff, bjarki might be up your alley).

whatever the reason, one of the things that has served me well is just looking more into whatever sounds fresh to me at the time. if that's hip hop for you, dig into more of that :shrug:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FrozenLederhosen posted:

I'm going to make a couple recommendations, neither of these bands sound like the ones you listed, but maybe they'll be unique enough for you to be interested

The first recommendation is a band called IDLES. They released their first LP this year, it's called Brutalism. Political, humourous, abrasive post-punk that still maintains a strong sense of melody. Maybe you'll like it? Maybe you'll get bored and make yourself a sammich. Give it a try. Standout tracks: Mother, Gotho 1049, White Privilege, Divide and Conquer.

The second you might be more familiar with: Stereolab. They've been around a lot longer than IDLES, much bigger discography. French pop with electronica, disco, and indie rock influences. Genuinely great melodies. Standout tracks: Lo Boob Oscillator, Neon Beanbag, Metronomic Underground.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 7, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FrozenLederhosen posted:

Is this being addressed to anyone in particular

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

A human heart posted:

Is this being addressed to anyone in particular

Maybe one of the two above who gave a substantive reply? idk

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm going to make a couple recommendations, neither of these bands sound like the ones you listed, but maybe they'll be unique enough for you to be interested

The first recommendation is a band called IDLES. They released their first LP this year, it's called Brutalism. Political, humourous, abrasive post-punk that still maintains a strong sense of melody. Maybe you'll like it? Maybe you'll get bored and make yourself a sammich. Give it a try. Standout tracks: Mother, Gotho 1049, White Privilege, Divide and Conquer.

The second you might be more familiar with: Stereolab. They've been around a lot longer than IDLES, much bigger discography. French pop with electronica, disco, and indie rock influences. Genuinely great melodies. Standout tracks: Lo Boob Oscillator, Neon Beanbag, Metronomic Underground.

Thank you! I'll check them out tonight

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I'm looking for blues recs including basically any sub-genre that includes. I get my wife's dad some music for Christmas every year and want to get him something a bit more blues-y because that's what he really likes. Previous years I've gotten him Gary Clark Jr and early Black Keys which he's liked. I know he really likes stuff like SRV and Joe Bonnamassa but also Robert Johnson and Led Zeppelin so it's not totally limited to bluesdad dudes. He also heard me listening to Radio Moscow and Clutch recently and said they sounded good.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I've been getting back into Smashing Pumpkins lately and I love the gently caress out of their first two albums, Gish and Siamese Dream

Can anyone recommend some more of that early 90s rock sound, the one that's a bit more raw-feeling, very clearly inspired by the 70s but developing on it further?

Basically if I had some bands that made a ton of albums similar in style to those two albums I would be really happy

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

screaden posted:

I'm looking for blues recs including basically any sub-genre that includes. I get my wife's dad some music for Christmas every year and want to get him something a bit more blues-y because that's what he really likes. Previous years I've gotten him Gary Clark Jr and early Black Keys which he's liked. I know he really likes stuff like SRV and Joe Bonnamassa but also Robert Johnson and Led Zeppelin so it's not totally limited to bluesdad dudes. He also heard me listening to Radio Moscow and Clutch recently and said they sounded good.

Blues Pills for sure, specifically their self-titled debut album. Awesome oldschool blues rock with really soulful vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9XFldAi7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cuc7UlYa0

Mount Carmel for an even more retro fuzzy blues rock sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVzUU324zrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRP07oJDwCs

Also the debut EP from Whoopie Cat which does not sound like what one might expect by the band name and cover art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mXg9Vkd3OE

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 8, 2017

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nordick posted:

Blues Pills for sure, specifically their self-titled debut album. Awesome oldschool blues rock with really soulful vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9XFldAi7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cuc7UlYa0

Mount Carmel for an even more retro fuzzy blues rock sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVzUU324zrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRP07oJDwCs

Also the debut EP from Whoopie Cat which does not sound like what one might expect by the band name and cover art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mXg9Vkd3OE

Blues Pills and Whoopie Cat fit the bill perfectly, bonus points for Whoopie Cat being from Melbourne too

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Misc posted:

cursive cursive cursive cursive

"The Recluse"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeQNmGknak

"I Couldn't Love You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf207yXVfL4

Digging "I Couldn't Love You" hard, lucky me my girlfriend listens to this band and should be able to give me some of their CDs.

This is also very good, and surprising to me. I saw them open for Yuck in Brooklyn a couple years ago and I hated their set at the time, but listening to it now I like it.

The Shout out Louds song sounds like Inbetween Days which is great. Going to dig deeper into this band.

The Horrors song was a little slow but I did try a song off their new album and liked it better. Probably gonna try that one.

I see why people are calling the new MGMT song Cure-esque. It's pretty good.

Thanks for all the recs people! More are always welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

goose willis posted:

I've been getting back into Smashing Pumpkins lately and I love the gently caress out of their first two albums, Gish and Siamese Dream

Can anyone recommend some more of that early 90s rock sound, the one that's a bit more raw-feeling, very clearly inspired by the 70s but developing on it further?

Basically if I had some bands that made a ton of albums similar in style to those two albums I would be really happy

Don't sleep on Pisces Iscariot, i'd put it right up there wit those first two albums.

And I'm going to assume you know about the first two Jane's Addiction albums.