Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
loving not this poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

walrusman posted:

Shake Shack > Five Guys > Burgerville > Whataburger >> In-n-Out

Burgerville is better than Five Guys you son of a bitch.

Sorry about contributing to fast food chat, but on topic the Sears at Washington Square Mall is the nicest, cleanest Sears I have ever been in, and even then it's completely loving barren except for people passing through to get to the rest of the mall (which isn't dying). Like it's loving crazy, I never see people just casually browsing there. What about Sears, even a nice, well-stocked version, is completely repellent to consumers?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

shadowvine118 posted:

The area I live is pretty boring when it comes to burger joints. The only place we have that has been mentioned on this thread, that I know of, is Five Guys, and that place is overrated, IMO.

The best burger joints tend to be the non-franchise hole-in-the-wall places. Grindhouse Burgers in ATL was my personal fav.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
nooooooo

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
CVS is apparently doing well enough to buy my insurer, which is just hot nonsense. Their brand news stores somehow look like they haven't been updated since the 90s. And the smell.

Why do they always smell?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How long until CVS/Aetna buys a pharmaceutical manufacturer?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

I strongly suspect this one non buffet chinese place is a front like that. I've never, EVER seen a dine-in customer, nor have I ever seen anyone working the front of the restaurant that was over 12 years old. But drat, they have the best tasting Chinese food in the county, so I keep going to them. They creep me out, but they're worth it.

Keep in mind that there's a stealth chain of Chinese non-buffet restaurants out there. I've seen it several times over the years under several different names, but they all have the same menu, and the food is all the same. They all operate out of rundown storefronts in strip malls, with a couple of tables in them and you rarely see customers inside, and they're always waiting for their take out.

The weird thing is they almost always look like they sprang up in 1992 and haven't been updated since, jade printed laminate is warping on the counter, some odd goldfish in a dirty tank, backlit pictures of dishes that are discolored from decades of UV exposure, strong Chinese imagery on the walls, and threadbare carpet.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I finally got around to In-n-out recently and I was very disappointed. Mayo is by default and everything was so profoundly mediocre. Five Guys still the best.

Gotta try Whataburger next

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Shake shack is overrated

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Checkers/Rallys, tho. Get your mitts on a Big Buford

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/bortofdarkness/status/937576987438153729

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shake Shack is actually good though

It's good and I know it's good quality too. The burgers are just small compared to their price. Like 5 Guys price for a burger the size of a McDonald's single cheeseburger. However, they have some of the best cheese fries I've ever had. They haven't had it in awhile but their Shackmeister burger with shallots was pretty good too.

Also, when you get a drink refill there, they throw out your cup and give you a new one. Which to me says they don't need to watch every penny.

vyst posted:

Shake shack is overrated

I don't know about other places, but in DC they tend to be tourist destinations. So I feel like perception of it is tinted by that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

RandomPauI posted:

How long until CVS/Aetna buys a pharmaceutical manufacturer?

I'm surprised this is going to happen - the government made Humana (hospital chain and insurer) split itself in the 90s under the premise you couldn't have your hand in both pots.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Goober Peas posted:

I'm surprised this is going to happen - the government made Humana (hospital chain and insurer) split itself in the 90s under the premise you couldn't have your hand in both pots.

I read that they're going to do something like make qwik-stop clinics at CVSs or something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ladron posted:

I read that they're going to do something like make qwik-stop clinics at CVSs or something

Yeah, I gathered that too, a lot of CVS locations already have minute clinics inside of them.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have to say that I really like those urgent care places (around here many are "CityMD" and "Westmed"s, though there are others) even though their success is basically an indictment of how bad the healthcare system is.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Burger thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699735

I thought Five Guys was doing well enough?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vyst posted:

Shake shack is overrated
Mods?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll meet any of you assholes and fight you IRL for debasing In-N-Out. I live on the East Coast and In-N-Out is the only reason to go west of the Mississippi.

I'll fight you animal style, dammit.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

how bout you fats eat some salads with some good vinaigrette

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Carrion Luggage posted:

how bout you fats eat some salads with some good vinaigrette

Salad?

Like I don't dislike most of the components of salad, but to me they're more like solid condiments, like eating a bowl of ketchup.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'll meet any of you assholes and fight you IRL for debasing In-N-Out. I live on the East Coast and In-N-Out is the only reason to go west of the Mississippi.

I'll fight you animal style, dammit.

You cross the Mississippi and you're still a long goddamned way from an in n out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In-N-Out is a quality burger, but the cult-like fervor surrounding it overhypes it. They're nothing special. Five Guys is overpriced but they beat In-N-Out by a large margin.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Burger-eating will be automated in the next 10 years, anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

You cross the Mississippi and you're still a long goddamned way from an in n out

Yeah, I have no idea where they are. They're just very occasionally in the same city I am in. The closest I can get to that kind of burger is Steak N'Shake.

And 5 Guys is only tolerable because of the fries and the fact you don't have to hang around people with peanut allergies. As a burger it's a soggy pile of meat and bread.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Burger-eating will be automated in the next 10 years, anyway.

I read this as automatons will chew the food for engorged Hutt-like plutocrats of the upper class so they won't have to exert themselves.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I am already a burger-eating machine

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

Same.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
To this thread's credit, Shake Shack did report a decrease in "same-shack sales" from 2016 to 2017. I would not be surprised to see the trend get worse over the next few years as the company continues to expand. Why make a special effort to visit Shake Shack on your vacation in New York or Florida when you could visit one back home any time you want?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Neon Noodle posted:

Eating burgers may be one thing many of us can do with perfect robot-like attention.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Cook Out has an inter-dimensional portal to a land of cheap beef and pork because I can't figure out how you can get a hamburger, fries, drink, and a corn dog for $5.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's a game not at K-Mart called Watch ya Mouth that uses those. It's a decent drinking/party game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shake Shack has great deserts but the food is also inferior to Five Guys

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a game not at K-Mart called Watch ya Mouth that uses those. It's a decent drinking/party game.
It's amazing if you like drooling over everything or stopping every 20 seconds slurp your saliva up like middle schooler with braces.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not surprising this is popular with the generation of kids who watch Elsa Spiderman fetish YouTube

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I finally got around to In-n-out recently and I was very disappointed. Mayo is by default and everything was so profoundly mediocre. Five Guys still the best.

In-n-Out doesn't put mayo on anything by default. Try again.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I saw a lot of replies to this thread and thought something big had happened or there was some huge announcement of a company going under.
But no, it's goons talking about food. It's always goons talking about food.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Five guys sucks but thats because I live in colorado which specializes in burgers, beer, and for some bizarre reason pho

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

It's amazing if you like drooling over everything or stopping every 20 seconds slurp your saliva up like middle schooler with braces.

Yeah dude it's pretty funny after a few beers.

Not cards against humanity tier party game but it's a decent laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

enigmahfc posted:

I saw a lot of replies to this thread and thought something big had happened or there was some huge announcement of a company going under.
But no, it's goons talking about food. It's always goons talking about food.

Well, and poop.