Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rainuwastaken posted:

There's a soundtrack CD that came with the collector's edition I think? It doesn't seem to have all the tracks, but someone ripped them a few hours ago over on /r/Xenoblade_Chronicles. I'd post a link but I don't want to catch Lowtax going through my wallet again.

Nice, thanks. I know the LE only had limited tracks and the OST of the first game was 4 discs and I'd happily buy something like that for XB2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Used the rare core crystal I got last night and ended up with my first rare blade, Adenine.

On Rex... :confuoot:

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel kind of bad for all those basic blades that are instantly discarded the second you awaken them. Especially when the game is trying to tell you that Blade's have feelings and you are just throwing them all away to get to the shiny ones.

Blitzball playing robot with a Texan accent will never be loved :(

This was the 2nd or 3rd blade I got on Rex and I can confirm they will never be loved. Still using his first pull which was some wind element fist-based healer with an uppercut that causes knockdown (or was until I got Adenine who seems to just be better, period). And occasionally a lovely common blade with a giant :hellyeah: laser cannon.

Axel Serenity posted:

I've just been using crystals as they come up in a vain attempt at getting KOS-MOS. I figure people are likely overstating how rare overdrives will be come down the end-game stretch (I already have two just from salvaging for cores and whatnot). Of course, I also have terrible luck so I may need more cores. I've given Nia like five and two were rares, so, welp. Rex only has Electra so far and I've spent like 30 on him.

That said, Tiny Thor is pretty good in a pinch. Tora has gone down a few times I kept getting mobs chained on me, so Electra was nice to have until I could get him back up.

If you can farm overdrives that's good because I've only found one so far and the idea of finally pulling a rare blade, only for it to be on someone who wouldn't make good use of it, is bad and I know it's going to happen with the first rare blade I get. :sigh:

Calaveron posted:

"So what cutesy noise should our mascot creatures do"
"I don't give a poo poo"
"BRILLIANT"

Meh meh meh meh meh. :buddy:

e:

Saxophone posted:

There's apparently a "thing" where a certain salvage site yields both a common and a rare very consistently. This may get patched out so if it's something you'd be interested in, I wouldn't update without reading patch notes.

I might build up a stock of them.

This is my thoughts on it. If there's a patch that 'fixes' core drops to be harder to come by I'm just not going to update.

...the game won't auto-update if it's running but the Switch is in sleep mode right?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 4, 2017

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DalaranJ posted:

Does this mean that different characters have different chances for element pulls based on what’s in their thought cloud?

Yes, so as people have mentioned earlier in the thread, it is possible to repurpose characters for different roles based on who you want to use, but it really seems like the game wants you to always have a Tank, an Attack and a Healer, so rather than giving Nia a blade of each type, you want to give her 3 healing blades and let her go at it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sorry to ask again but do all 3 blades give their affinity bonuses, or only 1 when the blade is active/wielded?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

^burtle posted:

Yes, so as people have mentioned earlier in the thread, it is possible to repurpose characters for different roles based on who you want to use, but it really seems like the game wants you to always have a Tank, an Attack and a Healer, so rather than giving Nia a blade of each type, you want to give her 3 healing blades and let her go at it.

Great.

Are weapon types (that is arts, which is what’s important about the weapons)always the same role, or are those also mix and match? That is, are all Spears attackers, and all gauntlets healers?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DalaranJ posted:

Great.

Are weapon types (that is arts, which is what’s important about the weapons)always the same role, or are those also mix and match? That is, are all Spears attackers, and all gauntlets healers?

Yes.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got to the first real open area (first town) and died a few times as I explored. I noticed that dying resets collection points. I didn't notice if I lost items I collected before respawning at the checkpoint - if you keep them I imagine that's a quick way to gather items. Other than that, what triggers them to reset normally?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Reviewers talked about a stalling point where they had to grind up field skills to progress the main story. Anyone that far yet and know which skills those are so I can prepare? I haven't done any sidequests since the game said those reward trust on completion and I'm saving it for that point

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know Poppi has two points where she gets upgrades ingame, once through story and the other through a sidequest or something. Do either of those upgrades, and which if so, actually give her healing arts?

My Nia has like three rare tank blades now and having her stuck to healing because poppi can't seem to do anything else kinda sucks

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I feel like "I have to have Nia equipped with 3 Healer blades because that's her role" is going to be the "I have to have Sharla in my party because I need a healer" of this game. It's okay to put an attacker blade on her, she will switch to it if nobody needs any healing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I feel like "I have to have Nia equipped with 3 Healer blades because that's her role" is going to be the "I have to have Sharla in my party because I need a healer" of this game. It's okay to put an attacker blade on her, she will switch to it if nobody needs any healing.

The problem with doing this in my experience is that she won't switch back to healing in a timely manner and things can run downhill very fast from there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I usually play as Nia so I have control over healing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I really want to switch back to the english dub because (screaming aside) I really really like Rex and Nia, and hell Tora and a bunch of others too

but Pyra is just phoning it in a lot of the time, which I guess is inoffensive enough, but I'm visibly cringing at what a certain scene at the start of ch4 (involving a sleepwalker) is like in english

these VOs could not seem to dramatize at all

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mythra has this really bad line reading during the hot springs scene that she genuinely sounds like she's burping her dialogue

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Ciaphas posted:

I really want to switch back to the english dub because (screaming aside) I really really like Rex and Nia, and hell Tora and a bunch of others too

but Pyra is just phoning it in a lot of the time, which I guess is inoffensive enough, but I'm visibly cringing at what a certain scene at the start of ch4 (involving a sleepwalker) is like in english

these VOs could not seem to dramatize at all

I liked their voices but i just can't get past the mis-matched lips and horrible performances. A character will be moving like they are pissed off or super excited but the voice will sound like a casual conversation. I'm normally not picky but this is really bad.

I just hope I'm not missing out on some small character dialogs, there are no subtitles for what they say in the open world or before/after a battle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

basically i'm never quite sure which is worse, not understanding because i don't know japanese, and possibly missing fine detail or misrepresenting subbed scenes as a result, or understanding but being disappointed in the acting

I tend to lean toward the former here and in animu in general but I'm a minor weeb, so hey yo

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 4, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not super far, but those unsubbed bits of dialog are just flavor, but one of them randomly casually dropped that Pyra knew gramps quite well prior to the cutscene that followed explaining thay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also that Nia chafes riding Dromarch

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

The problem with doing this in my experience is that she won't switch back to healing in a timely manner and things can run downhill very fast from there

Honestly people are pretty poo poo at their non-specializations. Like Rex's healing weapons don't give him direct healing arts since everyone has a unique art set per weapon.

That said, Poppi's can craft some good poo poo in Poppiswap that can make her function as an off-attacker and healer. I like the skill ram that gives her +100% damage if attacking from the front (always when she's tanking) and the on that lets her spawn potions every time she uses an art. That makes her a really good tank and an off-healer and off-damage dealer.

Also spoilers for Tora's other blades

Poppi QT is a dodge tank and Poppi QT pi is an attacker. No healing arts whatsoever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Also spoilers for Tora's other blades

Poppi QT is a dodge tank and Poppi QT pi is an attacker. No healing arts whatsoever.

No loving way those are her names. Holy gently caress that's perfect

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Used my first Rare Core Crystal and got..... a generic lovely thing that isn't any better than what I got from a common. Well gently caress you too game. Why is there a gacha? WHY?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Used my first Rare Core Crystal and got..... a generic lovely thing that isn't any better than what I got from a common. Well gently caress you too game. Why is there a gacha? WHY?

I did 4 rares and 34 commons yesterday for a new character and got a single rare blade out of it.

Currently at 12 rare blades overall, though 3 of those are guaranteed with 2 being totally unmissable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My first rare crystal gave me book lady who is cool but sadly completely useless on Rex. Nothing from the other ten+

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Give me Kos-Mos, monolith

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So far I got;

Book lady
Lightning catgirl
hosed up chimera girl
Tiny Birdman with a hammer
weird Mollusc with a Blitzball? Iunno, he rules though
Girl with a Polar Bear
Yoshimitsu
Creepy Doll Lady
a literal Demon
Gem Lady
and a story one

Most of them are even on appropriate people too! Rex is rocking the Demon dude and the story blade (who are both guaranteed in Chapter 4) while Nia's got Polar Bear Girl and Boreas who's the weird Mollusc thing.

It rules.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zore posted:

I did 4 rares and 34 commons yesterday for a new character and got a single rare blade out of it.

Currently at 12 rare blades overall, though 3 of those are guaranteed with 2 being totally unmissable.

:stonk:

does anyone know what the odds are of getting a rare?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

As I understand it the japanese really really like gachas :shrug:

I'm just desperately scared of them adding RL$ purchasing of better odds on cores or salvaging or any of the other gacha mechanics in this game

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I just wish everytime Poppi says "Masterpon" I could unhear the very intended, "Daddy."

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Zore posted:

Tiny Birdman with a hammer

I didn't know this until I tried to send her out on a mission but Finch is a lady!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

^burtle posted:

I just wish everytime Poppi says "Masterpon" I could unhear the very intended, "Daddy."

i could have gone without having this connection made for me ugh

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

No loving way those are her names. Holy gently caress that's perfect

It’s real.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly worst comes to worst you need 0 rare blades from the Gatcha since you can get 4 rare blades in Chapter 4 and Tora doesn't need any.

There are two tied to the story, both phenomenal attackers, and giving them to Rex means you don't have to worry about him at all. They come in unique cores, one only Rex can open and one that anyone can.

Also there is a sidequest in Torigoth that gets you a Healer Rare Blade, and the one you can buy there for 500,000 is an attack one. You give them to Nia and she's basically set too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not understand the Gacha element at all, especially in a game with plenty of other possible reward systems. Tack on affinity and it makes me want to avoid ever using non rares so ill probably grind for hours at the current grind site

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
not even a distant land we're stuck on a whole different planet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ragequit posted:

I finally got to the first real open area (first town) and died a few times as I explored. I noticed that dying resets collection points. I didn't notice if I lost items I collected before respawning at the checkpoint - if you keep them I imagine that's a quick way to gather items. Other than that, what triggers them to reset normally?
You keep items when you die. Dying resets them, fast travelling resets them, changing clock does not reset them, sleeping at the inn resets them, and I assume all large-zone changes in general reset them.

Lakbay posted:

Reviewers talked about a stalling point where they had to grind up field skills to progress the main story. Anyone that far yet and know which skills those are so I can prepare? I haven't done any sidequests since the game said those reward trust on completion and I'm saving it for that point
Nobody has answered this in the thread yet that I've seen - probably we're just all not there yet!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, for a game that made the Blades a huge part of the marketing push, they seem to be pretty superfluous to the actual game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

i could have gone without having this connection made for me ugh

The game makes it really clear from the first time you activate her that Tora is a little creepy furball. Its pretty weird and disappointing because from what I've seen those two are otherwise fine. I didn't expect to like them at all but they are pretty cute. Poppi mimicking Tora's "mehmehmeh" in her monotone voice is amusing.

Still a hundred times better than Tatsu.

Pomp posted:

not even a distant land we're stuck on a whole different planet

So we're quick with the guns and cannons

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And for so many blades everyone seems to be getting Asami and kosmos
I want the bahamut lady dang it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

The game makes it really clear from the first time you activate her that Tora is a little creepy furball. Its pretty weird and disappointing because from what I've seen those two are otherwise fine. I didn't expect to like them at all but they are pretty cute. Poppi mimicking Tora's "mehmehmeh" in her monotone voice is amusing.

Still a hundred times better than Tatsu.

I was kind of ready to excuse Tora/Poppi's introduction as a oneoff-y joke in a "Oh tora you scamp :3:" kinda way but now I'm just creeped out and wondering when I get someone else who can bind Blades to swap them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I was kind of ready to excuse Tora/Poppi's introduction as a oneoff-y joke in a "Oh tora you scamp :3:" kinda way but now I'm just creeped out and wondering when I get someone else who can bind Blades to swap them out

Where are you in the story?