Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grim Dawn is fantastic you baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

Man, just got the awesome choice in Grim Dawn of picking a skill that shoots out 3 barely visible globs of light that do piddling damage and stun enemies for 1 second, versus shooting out 1 barely visible glob of light that does piddling damage +10% and doesn't stun enemies. I don't think I've ever been happier to request a refund.

some people's dicks get really hard over massive skill trees with points that add 0.1% chance of something for each point you put in, i think this is path of exile's whole claim to fame

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a lot to like about Grim Dawn but I don't begrudge people for dissing the skill tree, waiting 30 levels to max out your two passives until maybe sorta thinking about putting more than 1 point into actual skills sucked with TQ and it sucks here as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was pretty close

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

sector_corrector posted:

Man, just got the awesome choice in Grim Dawn of picking a skill that shoots out 3 barely visible globs of light that do piddling damage and stun enemies for 1 second, versus shooting out 1 barely visible glob of light that does piddling damage +10% and doesn't stun enemies. I don't think I've ever been happier to request a refund.

On the other hand, my first Grim Dawn character beat people with a tree branch that called down lightning and exploding falcons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really like the way Grim Dawn does incremental upgrades because it kinda obfuscates how much your bonuses and point dumping is actually helping you, but it does make it feel like you're actually growing stronger very very smoothly. Having to balance improving the skills you already have while also putting points into your raw class so that you can unlock new ones is a really interesting system that has a surprising amount of depth to it... depth which completely vanishes as soon as your reach NG+ because you're probably at the highest level with the most available skills, but still, you need that boost to survive the higher difficulties.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Grim Dawn problem is that it doesn't tell you that the Constellation system is where a ton of very flashy, very fun skills are hidden at. And really that components give new skills and should be used and never horded.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

boar guy posted:

no one uses https://www.mysteamgauge.com/ ? it tries to reconcile between what you spend on your account and what it's worth

I use Gaugepowered.com as it lets me correct all the prices myself (including games bought from outside Steam) making it very accurate

VS what ES tells from just Steam

I got 280 games.

Sadly Gaugepowered is going to be shut down in January because it wasn't worth the upkeep to owner. :(

Your linked site is super slow, is that usual?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 4, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BexGu posted:

Grim Dawn problem is that it doesn't tell you that the Constellation system is where a ton of very flashy, very fun skills are hidden at. And really that components give new skills and should be used and never horded.

Yeah, the constellation system is terribly laid out and explained and is imo one of the few genuinely bad marks against an awesome little game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sininu posted:

Your linked site is super slow, is that usual?

no, that might just be because i linked it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grim Dawn does a cool thing by mixing up a Diablo 2-style skill tree with a PoE Min-Max And Unlock Crazy Gamechanging BS progression system. The respec aspect of it looks relatively forgiving too, which is good seeing as you dual-class in that game so you have TWO skill trees to think about. People say PoE is Diablo 2.1 but I think Grim Dawn hits more of the same notes. Fixed maps are good too so when you decide to level a second character because GOD FORBID you play a build that's not untwinked OP, you can do it in half the time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Huh, I always thought Grim Dawn had some really suitably flashy abilities and the meaty melee combat is drat nice too.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Descent 1-3 are now back on Steam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot to like about Grim Dawn but I don't begrudge people for dissing the skill tree, waiting 30 levels to max out your two passives until maybe sorta thinking about putting more than 1 point into actual skills sucked with TQ and it sucks here as well.

I didn't do that and I got through the game fine. In fact, I only put points into one character tree and spread my them around a bunch of actives and attack procs that I thought sounded cool. For the initial playthrough at least, unoptimal builds are perfectly serviceable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sector_corrector posted:

the problem is you're playing shaman, and not a class that isn't rear end

source: i've played shaman three times, and took one to the level cap, hoping to find anything redeeming about it and it's aaaaasssssssssssssssssss

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pentyne posted:

What Richie Rich boy life do you lead where a 13-17 year old can blow $1k a year on games?

Not exactly hard. $1k was like three paychecks at my first job, and that was part time. Combine that with another 23 paychecks a year, and very few actual expenses as a teen, and blowing $1k on games is not really breaking the bank at that age.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Descent 1-3 are now back on Steam.

Along with the first Freepsace.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

I didn't do that and I got through the game fine. In fact, I only put points into one character tree and spread my them around a bunch of actives and attack procs that I thought sounded cool. For the initial playthrough at least, unoptimal builds are perfectly serviceable.

I'm running a Vitality Totem Conjurer and I've maxed my base attack skills by level 35 while still maxing Shaman - now working on Occultist. Just level poo poo on a 2:1 ratio between skills and class levels until you max a class and then splurge on your cool poo poo to your heart's content, by the time you need all of the support stuff you're gonna be done with it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The White Dragon posted:

the problem is you're playing shaman, and not a class that isn't rear end

source: i've played shaman three times, and took one to the level cap, hoping to find anything redeeming about it and it's aaaaasssssssssssssssssss

Nahhh sounds like sector_corrector just put a few point into Stun Jacks from the Demolitionist tree, which is a skill that you either spam the hell out of or quickly stun a monster to get a quick one second breather. It can be pretty underwhelming at first cause it really needs some synergies to shine.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If you want to do the higher difficulties in Grim Dawn you need to put more thought into it but the first character I beat normal with had a fairly useless raven with him at all times that didn't suit my build, just because I wanted a raven. Only a few of the bosses really gave me enough trouble to even think about making my build good.

On the other hand, if you do want to try and make an Actually Good character, there's a ton of depth there and plenty of options, and then you can do the higher difficulties. The one problem I have with the system is that legendary items don't drop on the normal difficulty, which basically means janky fun builds will never get to play with the cool toys.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Demolitionist was my starting choice and it's Kinda Boring. That sucks because I always play the ranged-weapon character. Shaman has some neat stuff but it's DoT, The Class at starting levels.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BexGu posted:

Nahhh sounds like sector_corrector just put a few point into Stun Jacks from the Demolitionist tree, which is a skill that you either spam the hell out of or quickly stun a monster to get a quick one second breather. It can be pretty underwhelming at first cause it really needs some synergies to shine.

oh you know what you're probably right. when he said invisible projectiles, i thought he was talking about devouring swarm :v:

honestly my favorite thing about grim dawn's system is that a lot of the sustained passives are actually auras, so in multiplayer you can enjoy the benefits of your friend's arcanist ability that triples your elemental damage and gives all your attacks DoT, and they get all your demolitionist buffs. the only junk one is occultist because their sustain is greedy af and doesn't affect your party members :(

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 4, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Do you have the Ashes of Malmouth DLC? Because the Inquisitor class is basically a gun wielding wizard I believe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dias posted:

Demolitionist was my starting choice and it's Kinda Boring. That sucks because I always play the ranged-weapon character. Shaman has some neat stuff but it's DoT, The Class at starting levels.

Demolitionist at least has the advantage of having a fairly decent piano build due to how much their skills can complement each other. Plus, it's fun to toss out a million thermite mines and mortar launchers everywhere while running around like a maniac. The auto-attack build for them is pretty good but pretty boring, to be fair.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as far as the Humble Monthly goes, I think your valuation of it will depend on how open minded you are about indie games. Since I joined Humble Monthly in September 2016, there's been (this is just the indies):

Stardew Valley
Shadow Tactics
Nex Machina
Furi
The Shrouded Isle
The Sexy Brutale
The End is Nigh
Brigador
Overcooked
Hyper Light Drifter
Momodora Reverie
Kero Blaster
Slime-San
Banner Saga 1 & 2
Scanner Sombre
Flat Heroes (don't sleep on this one!)
HackyZack
Metrico+
Nongunz
Event[0]
Kingdom New Lands
Silence (The Whispered World 2)
World to the West
Emily is Away Too
Armello
Morphblade (by the Gunpoint guy)
Uurnog (by Knytt guy)
The Witness
XCOM2
HoPiKo
Jotun
Vermintide
Mother Russia Bleeds
Kathy Rain
Never Alone
Broforce
Beyond Eyes
THOTH
Slime Rancher
Epistory Typing Chronicles
SOMA
Abzu
Trails in the Sky
INSIDE
GoNNER
The Turing Test
Stellaris
Plague Inc: Evolved
SuperHOT
Orwell
Seasons After Fall

I mean.. I find it pretty hard to complain, myself. But I love indies. That's an average of just over $3 per game, but of course there's also the AAA games that I didn't list, like Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 2, Grim Dawn, NBA2K17, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc.

If you're going to buy a blind box like this, you have to be willing to try stuff you might never have heard of. Although I'd argue most of the list above is pretty well known as far as indies go. There are many I didn't list just because I haven't gotten to them yet and thus I can't vouch for them (also I dont like Killing Floor 2). You can check the list here and see if you feel the hit/miss ratio is worth it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Humble_Bundles#Humble_Monthly_Bundles

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 4, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The White Dragon posted:

oh you know what you're probably right. when he said invisible projectiles, i thought he was talking about devouring swarm :v:

Which is funny cause that Devouring Swarm hit like a ton of bricks with just a couple of points. Combine it with Grasping vines and everything but bosses melts in less then 2 seconds.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Demolitionist at least has the advantage of having a fairly decent piano build due to how much their skills can complement each other. Plus, it's fun to toss out a million thermite mines and mortar launchers everywhere while running around like a maniac. The auto-attack build for them is pretty good but pretty boring, to be fair.

Demolitionist is worth it for a first character cause while every one else is using magic and poo poo you'r the one crazy person running around with guns grenades, molotov cocktails, and mortars taking down zombies and other horrors of the night.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm using Inquisitor/Occultist and that's pretty fun. You get pets, dual-wielded pistols, and good AoE spells.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSC5A726f0

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

We're also getting all the Mega Man X games.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Quest For Glory II posted:

as far as the Humble Monthly goes, I think your valuation of it will depend on how open minded you are about indie games. Since I joined Humble Monthly in September 2016, there's been (this is just the indies):

Fun fact - I didn't buy anything in the summer sale this year and will likely bow out of the winter sale as well, because I decided to do Humble Monthly for a year and I picked up nearly every indie/slightly older AAA title on my wishlist through that.

Now, back to playing the same three games I always play :negative:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

man nurse posted:

We're also getting all the Mega Man X games.

Ah, so there was good news.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s going to be very funny if this turns out better than MN9.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

It’s going to be very funny if this turns out better than MN9.

Its better then nothing :v:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I appreciate that the top comment on that video is calling it a Shovel Knight clone.

Largely because one of my most controversial video game opinions is that Shovel Knight is better than every megaman game (that I have played).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Ah, so there was good news.

I wouldn't call getting any X game after 3 "good news"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ragequit posted:

Leave it to goons to direct me to the accounts page for a depressing morning, although technically not bad over a decade. I have a Switch now and haven't touched a PC game in a few weeks, so hopefully that helps me get through the trying times of the Steam Winter Sale.

Edit: Plus I would hope Pillars of Eternity 2 still comes out early 2018, so I'll have that to tide me over.

I wouldn't be depressed about it, you appear to be a very generous person!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

il_cornuto posted:

I appreciate that the top comment on that video is calling it a Shovel Knight clone.

Largely because one of my most controversial video game opinions is that Shovel Knight is better than every megaman game (that I have played).

It's not controversial at all. MM is historically important but Shovel Knight is a way better game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pablo Gigante posted:

I wouldn't call getting any X game after 3 "good news"
The only truly terrible game was X7.

MM sounds like he finally hit puberty. The story better not be some dark crap better suited for the X games.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I want to play Doki Doki Literature Club any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowcaster posted:

some people's dicks get really hard over massive skill trees with points that add 0.1% chance of something for each point you put in, i think this is path of exile's whole claim to fame
I would say it's more that you don't even use the skill tree to do poo poo like this