Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Roids are hell on the joints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Intruder posted:

Roids are hell on the joints

and being (not so?) secretly 65 years old

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Do you all like to imagine alternate timelines where Junior and Pujols remain healthy throughout their entire careers? What players bodies completely fall apart in those timelines?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
pujols basically did stay healthy, didn't he? i mean he got old and can't move and maybe had some nagging things but he only missed significant time in a season like once. not really comparable to griffey's entire early 30s getting derailed

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dutchy posted:

pujols basically did stay healthy, didn't he? i mean he got old and can't move and maybe had some nagging things but he only missed significant time in a season like once. not really comparable to griffey's entire early 30s getting derailed

He's had offseason surgery like 3 or 4 times as an Angel and basically lives with plantar fasciitis. Normal 30-35 year olds can still run without being in agonizing pain.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
So here's some fun Albert Pujols math. Pujols put up -1.8 WAR this season. The average career WAR of 1st baseman in the hall of fame is about 66. How many more years would Pujols have to play putting up the same WAR as this year for his career WAR to be reduced to that average?

19, rounding up. Holy poo poo Pujols was good.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Good Dog posted:

Do you all like to imagine alternate timelines where Junior and Pujols remain healthy throughout their entire careers? What players bodies completely fall apart in those timelines?

Would have depended on them not selfishly rejecting steroids and creams and Essence of Sperm Whale injections into their corneas like real team players would have taken.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

JoeCL posted:

So here's some fun Albert Pujols math. Pujols put up -1.8 WAR this season. The average career WAR of 1st baseman in the hall of fame is about 66. How many more years would Pujols have to play putting up the same WAR as this year for his career WAR to be reduced to that average?

19, rounding up. Holy poo poo Pujols was good.

The fact that a lineup of peak Pujols, Edmonds and Rolen only won one Series via a bullshit 83-win season is heartbreaking to me sometimes.

E: The Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins MVP's make me madder though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Good Dog posted:

Its tricky because of the teams left, half are the NL that don't have the DH as an option so he'd be pinch hitting or playing the field if he is hitting at all. Of the AL teams still talking to him, you've got the Ms, Angels and Rangers. Ms would be willing to move Cruz around to the field on days when Ohtani can DH. Rangers rotated the DH position with Napoli, Beltre and Choo. Angels have an unmovable DH in Pujols so I don't know what they'd do there.

He’s more likely to get AB’s in NL games where he literally has to hit twice a game and could come in to pinch hit. He’d be under a lot of pressure to hit really well for him to continue to get ABs in the AL.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I AL DHs as a whole hit really poorly so giving Ohtani a ton of rope as a DH would make sense for Seattle I think; it would be dumb to kill the experiment just because he didn’t hit well as a DH

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That’s why Otani should come to SF, if he hits poorly he’ll fit right in with our outfield.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Carlosologist posted:

I AL DHs as a whole hit really poorly so giving Ohtani a ton of rope as a DH would make sense for Seattle I think; it would be dumb to kill the experiment just because he didn’t hit well as a DH

Seattle had the best DH in the AL last season tho. I mean, I am all for Cruz playing the OF a couple days a week if it means Ohtani is a Mariner, but it's not like he'll be an upgrade at DH there...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That’s why Otani should come to SF, if he hits poorly he’ll fit right in with our outfield.

Somehow Jarrett Parker will usurp both left field and a spot in the rotation from Ohtani

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athanatos posted:

and being (not so?) secretly 65 years old

Yeah I remember when he was in his early 20s and looked older than my dad

Good Dog posted:

He's had offseason surgery like 3 or 4 times as an Angel and basically lives with plantar fasciitis. Normal 30-35 year olds can still run without being in agonizing pain.

I thought he had gotten ankle surgery literally every offseason since becoming an Angel

Pancakes posted:

The fact that a lineup of peak Pujols, Edmonds and Rolen only won one Series via a bullshit 83-win season is heartbreaking to me sometimes.

E: The Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins MVP's make me madder though.

The Astros couldn't get out of the NLDS with the following players in their primes in 1998: Randy Johnson, Mike Hampton, Shane Reynolds, Billy Wagner, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Moises Alou, Carl Everett and Derek Bell

They even got a .314/.387/.508 season out of Sean loving Berry

Life ain't fair

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 5, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Intruder posted:

The Astros couldn't get out of the NLDS with the following players in their primes in 1998: Randy Johnson, Mike Hampton, Shane Reynolds, Billy Wagner, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Moises Alou, Carl Everett and Derek Bell

They even got a .314/.387/.508 season out of Sean loving Berry

Life ain't fair

That’s because we had Kevin Brown, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman and a roided to hell Greg Vaughn. And Lolritz in the playoffs.

The Astros didn’t choke in 1998. poo poo I was l sitting in right field when the Padres beat Hampton at the Q in that series.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Intruder posted:

Yeah I remember when he was in his early 20s and looked older than my dad

I thought he had gotten ankle surgery literally every offseason since becoming an Angel

He probably has. He's been a question mark if he'd be healthy for spring training or would miss time every year.

I remember the Angels having a rotation of Jered Weaver, Zack Greinke, CJ Wilson, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana and missed the playoffs. Angels are good at getting guys passed their primes or having down years at the most inopportune time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

wow that sounds real tough, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Good Dog posted:

Its tricky because of the teams left, half are the NL that don't have the DH as an option so he'd be pinch hitting or playing the field if he is hitting at all. Of the AL teams still talking to him, you've got the Ms, Angels and Rangers. Ms would be willing to move Cruz around to the field on days when Ohtani can DH. Rangers rotated the DH position with Napoli, Beltre and Choo. Angels have an unmovable DH in Pujols so I don't know what they'd do there.

We declined Nap's option, so he isn't with us anymore, and I 100% expect if we win the Ohtani Lottery we are going to salarydump Choo. I kind of expect it regardless.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When I'm feeling a glutton for punishment, I daydream about the alternate history where the draft doesn't arbitrarily have one league get the first pick based on the year, the Dodgers weren't run by incompetent buffoons, and the late 90's Dodgers feature prime ARod, Piazza, Pedro, and a young Beltre.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Also the Rangers signed Mike Minor to a multiyear deal and he is expected to get the chance to start. Good move IMO.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don’t even know who of relevance is on the free agent market other than Otani because the Padres never sign anyone.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

The Astros didn’t choke in 1998.

Gonna disagree with you there. Bagwell and Biggio basically did nothing in the playoffs their entire careers

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

Gonna disagree with you there. Bagwell and Biggio basically did nothing in the playoffs their entire careers

The ‘98 Padres won 98 games. Give them a modicum of credit 20 years after the fact.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Randy Johnson went 0-2 in two starts with a 1.93 ERA :shrug:

The Astros just didn't hit at all despite a high powered offense

e: The Astros hit .182/.277/.248 that series against a regular season slash of .280/.356/.436

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

Randy Johnson went 0-2 in two starts with a 1.93 ERA :shrug:

He lost because while he’s one of only a few guys I’ve ever witnessed own Tony Gwynn, Tony got a go ahead double in Astrodome off of him and therefore Gwynn owns him forever like he owned everyone.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd like the Mariners to get Ohtani, then bring back Old Man Ichiro and Dae Ho Lee. Get all of the fun guys of the last decade back.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad if the Mariners are going to get Ohtani at least it's past King Felix's prime so they can still continue to miss the playoffs

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only reason people think the Mariners are getting Otani is because Ichiro played there which probably doesn’t mean anything at all.

This dude is motivated by some sort of mystery thing.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Haha @ December based ball chat. How long until spring training goddamn.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Der Meister posted:

Haha @ December based ball chat. How long until spring training goddamn.

Offseason contribution

I just finished watching Ken Burns Baseball. It was slightly informative, but mostly old white dudes longing for Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams.

It focused too much on New York. There should have been a greater emphasis on baseball elsewhere - I couldn't believe they did not have a segment on Fernando-mania, probably the single most important thing to shaping the modern game (you could argue it was Clemente, but i think the Dodgers being broadcast across Mexico and Latin America with Fernando was more important). Also - I think a full 2 hour segment should have been about the Killer B's.

The best part of the 19 (!!!!) hours is the clear seething hatred George Will has for Barry Bonds.

I cant wait for the 2020 version which will most certainly be entirely about the 2016 Cubs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Angry Grimace posted:

This dude is motivated by some sort of mystery thing.

Yes, being in an environment in which he is valued and allowed to flourish. I realize this is weird in the setting of professional sports, where labor is still treated as capital akin to factory robots rather than human beings, but the dude just wants to go somewhere where he gets a chance and actually wants to live. That's no more mysterious than anyone else in the world.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sab0921 posted:

It focused too much on New York.

Baseball Writers.txt

Like seriously the other day when Ohtani was handing out roses to his shortlisters, ESPN's front page headline was "OHTANI SNUBS YANKEES, RED SOX" and was three pages of :qq: about how Ohtani had blown his chance to live up to Babe Ruth's legacy while failing to mention who actually was still in the running anywhere in the article.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Also the Rangers signed Mike Minor to a multiyear deal and he is expected to get the chance to start. Good move IMO.
I would have liked him in the Dodgers bullpen but if the Rangers are giving him a chance to start it makes sense he went there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

drat, was hoping the Astros could snag him, missed that post

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sab0921 posted:

cant wait for the 2020 version which will most certainly be entirely about the 2016 Cubs.

Nothing wrong with that! :getin:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the poo poo on Pujols's age was treated on this board as casual racism in the days of #TRADER. It's amazing how much it's just accepted now.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Cardinals signed some dude from Japan, Mike Mikolas, AKA "The Lizard King". Dope nickname at least. Here's hoping his 2.25 ERA in Japan translates reasonably well back here. 2 years, $15.5m.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

The Cardinals signed some dude from Japan, Mike Mikolas, AKA "The Lizard King". Dope nickname at least. Here's hoping his 2.25 ERA in Japan translates reasonably well back here. 2 years, $15.5m.

I hope he does well enough that his nickname gets upgraded to The Jesus Lizard.

EDIT: I think it's Miles Mikolas, looks like the Padres drafted him as an SP, turned him into an RP after one year, then the Rangers tried him as an SP again in 2014, he stunk, and he left for the NPB I guess?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why do the Cardinals get all the cool nicknames

First The Final Boss, now The Lizard King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea he had 60 innings for Texas in 2014 and was.... not very good.

• Locked thread