Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/ZaltzCricket/status/937945897769545728?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Dar always gives out dodgy ones knowing the batsman will just review it. Of course the DRS favours his call so there are some shockers given out by him (Smith at Perth last year)

The one yesterday where he gave an English batsman out at the last minute was such an obvious "lets just see what DRS has to say about this". He has gone from a "bowlers umpire" on LBW to giving out 50/50 calls. His hatred of batsmen will never be sated

I don't really know Gaffaney. He is a relatively inexperienced umpire.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Bit soft there stoner

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Welp, that's probably that

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He just pushed the ball into the gully. Pretty weak dismissal

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That'll be game over then.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Gaffaney scored 2 of the 4 centuries in the Martin Crowe invented Cricket Max

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
No matter who wins from here always remember, both teams are complete poo poo and should be mocked. All players and umps executed.

Except Lyon, he's dreamy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
remember when lyon got dropped for two tests in favour of ashton agar lmao

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

garycoleisgod posted:

No matter who wins from here always remember, both teams are complete poo poo and should be mocked. All players and umps executed.

Except LyonGary, he's dreamynoice

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Seams posted:

remember when lyon got dropped for one test in favour of xavier doherty lmao

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Jason Holder has been suspended for the 2nd NZ v WI test due to slow over rates.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
After a number of overturned decisions during the Adelaide Test this week, the CSIRO launched an investigation into why this has happened.

Introduced into Test matches almost a decade ago, The Umpire Decision Review System [DRS] gave teams the ability to challenge an official’s decision with impunity.

Given a total of two reviews, each team can only use them once per innings – except for when the challenge was found to be valid and true, resulting in an overturned decision.

However, thousands of cricket fans around Australia and England have been left scratching their heads recently as an uncharacteristically high number of decisions have been overturned during this match.

“We wanted to get to the bottom of it,” said one CSIRO scientist.

“So we did what we do best and we investigated the data and came to an informed and educated conclusion. The results shocked us and we feel that it’ll also rock the cricketing public at large to their core,”

“As it turns out, the umpires currently officiating the Test match in Adelaide have their eyes painted on. That means that they’re pretty much legally blind, which could explain why so many of their decisions have been overturned. When you think about it, it makes sense. Doesn’t it?”

The Advocate reached out to Cricket Australia for comment but have yet to receive a reply.

Representatives from the International Cricket Council [ICC] were also questioned over the CSIRO’s findings but our reporters only received an envelope full of a suspicious white power.

We spilt it on the floor and it went everywhere, now our photographer’s asthma is playing up and he’s foaming at the mouth.

More to come.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Umm think you gotta hit those joeseph

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
DRS is incredible

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Another classic let DRS sort it out LBW.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
well that sure looked plum

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Don't worry about DRS, that should be out on principle

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He was right back and it hit him pretty high. I thin DRS was pretty spot on there.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thats maxwellleave.gif levels of should be out on principle

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

gay picnic defence posted:

Don't worry about DRS, that should be out on principle

In related news, I only just caught up with the wickets from yesterday and my goodness Smith should never have been given.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

tarbrush posted:

In related news, I only just caught up with the wickets from yesterday and my goodness Smith should never have been given.

That one was strange because I agree he was unlucky to be out, but the one beforehand I think he should have been out, I think DRS is poo poo and it totally pitched in line.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

tarbrush posted:

made up for the one that should have been out but was overturned earlier tho

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/CameronWhite152/status/937971852307132416

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure all evidence is that DRS is actually highly accurate and basically never wrong though

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Umpire got 1 right, its a miracle

Dumb idiots wasting both reviews when the umps have been loving up all game

Centusin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 5, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Great way to burn two reviews idiotically

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol nice

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
DRS has shown like 6 referrals going over the top this test and at least two of them looked absolutely plum.

Hawkeye is hosed

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I really hate DRS. It basically comes down to how a bowler sells it. How the hell can a guy standing in slip umpire the game and bowlers are absolute plonkers who think everything is out.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

racing identity posted:

DRS has shown like 6 referrals going over the top this test and at least two of them looked absolutely plum.

Hawkeye is hosed

that didn’t look plum at all what’s wrong with you?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think Smith should lose his review privileges

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
englands gonna win lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You'd need to be pretty blind to think that review was in any way a smart move.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Obviously high. At the very very best it was going to be umpire's call.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think the ideal system is just replacing the umpires with a hat rack on wheels that drives from one end to the other at the end of the other so the bowler has somewhere to put his hat and the rest of the umpiring is left to a computer.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I love the idea of DRS being wrong because it has consistently shown balls that hit above the knee roll are going over the top. there's a slight amount of extra bounce in the pitch and everyone has been baffled by it

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I'm very mad about the cricket

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

garycoleisgod posted:

I think Smith should lose his review privileges

It could be worse, it could be Leg Before Watson deciding on the reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Scylo posted:

I love the idea of DRS being wrong because it has consistently shown balls that hit above the knee roll are going over the top. there's a slight amount of extra bounce in the pitch and everyone has been baffled by it

Yes its crazy

DRS has been fine. Its the umpires who have been bad. That doesn't mean I suddenly love a system that takes pressure off the bozos who are supposed to look after the game and onto a guy standing in slip but the corrections have been good