Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I swear I remember a time Dar was a good umpire, but this game is end of career steve bucknor levels of decision making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Scylo posted:

I swear I remember a time Dar was a good umpire, but this game is end of career steve bucknor levels of decision making

The worst LBW call of all time is him giving Simon Katich out at Trent Bridge in 2005

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

that didn’t look plum at all what’s wrong with you?

That wasn't one of them

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

We're getting towards the Root Zone lads

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Now we dropped a catch.

We won't be coming back from this. 4-1 to england. We won't win another test until i dont know 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
time for another argus review. maybe a royal commission even

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scylo posted:

I love the idea of DRS being wrong because it has consistently shown balls that hit above the knee roll are going over the top. there's a slight amount of extra bounce in the pitch and everyone has been baffled by it

Smith was hit so far above the knee roll it was getting close to the thigh pad and DRS said that was hitting the stumps.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
countdown to root wicket

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Root got the poo poo bagged out of him early in the match, but holy poo poo has Smith been worse. No runs, poo poo reviews, poo poo bouncing the tail tactics, poo poo non follow on enforcing, poo poo catching. I think if he doesn't score runs, Smith is a bad cricketer.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

time for another argus review. maybe a royal commission even

Miraculously the argus review found that cricket australias executives were great. just had to get rid of a few selectors and we would be back to our best

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

garycoleisgod posted:

Root got the poo poo bagged out of him early in the match, but holy poo poo has Smith been worse. No runs, poo poo reviews, poo poo bouncing the tail tactics, poo poo non follow on enforcing, poo poo catching. I think if he doesn't score runs, Smith is a bad cricketer.

ian chappell would say that modern captains arent allowed to make their own decisions and hell, i believe him

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
Would much rather see Cummins at the other end of Lyon. Starc is basically completely releasing the pressure every over he bowls.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Captaincy is overrated to a pretty large degree. A captain normally looks good because of his players. that said where a captain can look good is doing things like enforcing the follow on like he should have last night.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Captaincy is overrated to a pretty large degree. A captain normally looks good because of his players. that said where a captain can look good is doing things like enforcing the follow on like he should have last night.

True. Maybe I'm just upset he dropped a catch off Gary, the best cricketer. I hate Wade for it, so I guess Smith is the new Wade

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
this one is in the bag lads

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Implants posted:

Would much rather see Cummins at the other end of Lyon. Starc is basically completely releasing the pressure every over he bowls.

Yes, before the series started and I said I wanted Starc to step up and be an elite bowler this is what I mean. The guy is certainly worth his spot in the team as a wicket taker if nothing else but he bowls some utterly terrible spells.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

This has been a quite close series apart from like 3 sessions when England completely poo poo the bed. It'll happen at some point in this innings too.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lionel Richie posted:

This has been a quite close series apart from like 3 sessions when England completely poo poo the bed. It'll happen at some point in this innings too.

england are going to win this test.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

The teams are pretty similar to be honest. Condition neutral England probably better through the proven record of Broad and Anderson. Australia has a better third change bowler and a better spinner. Batting is about the same.

The WACA will be a loving road. I would expect that to suit Australia. The MCG might well suit England depending on the weather. Might come down to Sydney.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I'd give Starc two overs at the start of each spell and if he deals up poo poo then take him straight off and try again in 10 overs time

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Why do they keep putting Healy with kp

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

The teams are pretty similar to be honest. Condition neutral England probably better through the proven record of Broad and Anderson. Australia has a better third change bowler and a better spinner. Batting is about the same.

england aren't as bad as everybody says, australia (especially the bowling) isnt as good as everybody thinks

i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw people talking up starc etc bowling under lights as this insane weapon that would tear through england, as if the SA redbacks batting lineup is as good as england's. doubly as crazy after the gabba when the australian bowlers had already failed to live up to the hype.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lionel Richie posted:

Very much this.

I think this evening session is probably the first that they've actually won this series though. Only losing one wicket under lights is actually drat impressive.

Watch me spooneyboy

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

Yes, before the series started and I said I wanted Starc to step up and be an elite bowler this is what I mean. The guy is certainly worth his spot in the team as a wicket taker if nothing else but he bowls some utterly terrible spells.

His career stats are basically identical to Johnson at this stage, with all the weakness and inconsistency that implies. I would really have loved to see Sayers selected for this test and if I was going to "rest" one of the quicks...it'd be Starc basically every time.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Can't believe anyone thinks Australia are still a chance. Look at Smith and Starcs faces. They know they're hosed. The series is gone. Ashes stay in Pomgolia

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
We're one Root wicket away from abject collapse.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

england aren't as bad as everybody says, australia (especially the bowling) isnt as good as everybody thinks

i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw people talking up starc etc bowling under lights as this insane weapon that would tear through england, as if the SA redbacks batting lineup is as good as england's. doubly as crazy after the gabba when the australian bowlers had already failed to live up to the hype.

Absolutely

I too was amazed at this idea that we were going to destroy the English. Mitchell Johnson had a proven record of destroying batsmen when all the planets lined up exactly right and he had a good day. He had loving wrecked South Africa before and had roughed the English up in an ODI series before the ashes (the one that sent Trott crazy)

Starc certainly is a fine ODI bowler but in test cricket he has never really had days like Johnson at his best. Certainly I would say he hasnt been as bad as Johnson at his worst to be fair.

Cummins will be the best bowler out of the three of them when they are retired if I had to guess. Hazlewood has been disappointing this series. He is bowling way too straight and it has been a problem of his. People compare to him McGrath but his action reminds me a lot more of Pollock and its through that action that he occasionally drags balls across the right handed batsmen. He also struggles against left handers and the English side is full of them

If we wanted an aggressive bowler then give James Pattinson a magical skeleton so he can keep his body together. The three we have bowling at the moment are not these beastly types. Certainly fast and with some potential (although Starc and Hazlewood cant be resting on that for much longer) but not these horror bowlers that will eat the English alive.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 5, 2017

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Roots going to have a nightmare tonight, sleep poorly and get out early tomorrow afternoon. Then everyone else will collapse and all will be right

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
gently caress me there's nine overs left, I thought close of play was ten minutes ago

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I hope theres a biff. Way things are going, Root would knock Handscomb the gently caress out.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Shocked Malan lasted as long as he did tbh

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Woakes as night watchman? That's uhhhh interesting

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Gone with 15 minutes left in the day. Numpty.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
As a straight man, Pat Cummins is beautiful and I would be heaps gay for him.

England still gonna win but.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
that was a great ball but malan left a pretty big gap between bat and pad for it to go through

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why would they send out an allrounder as a night watchman.

I know i overrate young quicks but I reckon Cummins might bowl alright in England next time we tour if he still got a functioning back

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

garycoleisgod posted:

As a straight man, Pat Cummins is beautiful and I would be heaps gay for him.

England still gonna win but.

He'd cummins you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does Warnie get an erection every time someone bowls a bouncer or something?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

EMC posted:

He'd cummins you

Unlike the other Aussie quicks, he wouldn't spray it down my legside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
its the hope that kills us