Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

If anyone is bored, I found a new thing for us to talk about.

I think Egg Temperature is actually a pretty handy measurement.

Would the rest of the egg system be like metric, where we work in KiloEggs? Or more like Imperial, where everything is bundled in larger units based on other things(dozens? DozEggs, GrossEggs, etc?)

Would 1 Egg-foot (DozEgg?) = 24 inches, or two imperial feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like an empty shell of a suggestion.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The egg is really a marvel of evolution.

Did you know that while we all think of egg shells as brittle things that are prone to breakage, it is in fact impossible to crush an egg with the strength of just one hand when your hand is extended directly over your head? Because of the shape, putting an egg in your hand and then lifting your hand so that the egg is right over your head makes it impossible to crush a raw egg. Seriously. Set up a camera and film yourself trying it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Many animals lay eggs

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBdoTyC3V34

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tarlibone posted:

The egg is really a marvel of evolution.

Did you know that while we all think of egg shells as brittle things that are prone to breakage, it is in fact impossible to crush an egg with the strength of just one hand when your hand is extended directly over your head? Because of the shape, putting an egg in your hand and then lifting your hand so that the egg is right over your head makes it impossible to crush a raw egg. Seriously. Set up a camera and film yourself trying it.

Goddamnit...

Well, I suppose you all might as well see the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Orville: Continuing TNG's legacy of getting rid of the chief engineer and promoting a black guy from the con to chief engineer out of no where before the second season. Now we just need Alara to die and Bortus to be promoted to Chief of security and the cycle will be complete.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PT6A posted:

Goddamnit...

Well, I suppose you all might as well see the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

The worst part about there being no teleporters is we'll never get an episode where this guy gets to guest star after being stuck in a pattern buffer

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be amazing to Rickroll someone on the holodeck.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dietrich posted:

The Orville: Continuing TNG's legacy of getting rid of the chief engineer and promoting a black guy from the con to chief engineer out of no where before the second season.

:lol: I hadn't noticed that connection. I do admit I am a bit sad that Newton left to design space stations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dietrich posted:

The Orville: Continuing TNG's legacy of getting rid of the chief engineer and promoting a black guy from the con to chief engineer out of no where before the second season. Now we just need Alara to die and Bortus to be promoted to Chief of security and the cycle will be complete.

Alara >>>>>>> Tasha

but then I suppose

Orville fat engineer >>>> loving Argyle

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

BIFF YAEGER IS A GENTLEMAN AND A SAINT.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hopefully we'll see Newton on his new space station: Federation Outpost Deep Space 9 Union Frontier Station Far Space 12

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need a massive fat engineer letter writing campaign

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Bloop posted:

Alara >>>>>>> Tasha

but then I suppose

Yeah... there were four chief engineers before LaForge, though. Argyle was just #2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kurieg posted:

Yeah... there were four chief engineers before LaForge, though. Argyle was just #2.

I dug old white lady personally

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Hopefully we'll see Newton on his new space station: Federation Outpost Deep Space 9 Union Frontier Station Far Space 12

Can't wait for Season 4 of Far Space 12 when Bortus shows up and the show gets way better.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dietrich posted:

we just need Alara to die

:frogout:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Argyle" is such an on-the-nose name for a follow-up to Scotty that it feels like something a parody would do. Like Futurama if they didn't already destroy him with "Welshy" :lol:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

Can't wait for Season 4 of Far Space 12 when Bortus shows up and the show gets way better.

So, who's the O'Brien of the Orville?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Elevator operator. Likes pancakes. And music.

Or Plant Watering Guy. *there he is!*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

Elevator operator. Likes pancakes. And music.

Or Plant Watering Guy. *there he is!*

Not Dann :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Iron Crowned posted:

Yaphit. He'll spend much of the new show lamenting how his new male doctor buddy is nowhere near as hot as the doctor on his old ship.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Alexander Siddig is hot as hell are you kidding me?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It would be great if they introduced a character by opening a door to a closet-sized space with a single terminal inside, where the character performs one highly-specific task--then swish, the doors shut. That's the extent of their screen presence for at least a couple seasons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It would be amazing to Rickroll someone on the holodeck.

You could get creative with it.

Like... OK, you convince someone to try this new program. It's a fun-sounding but otherwise unremarkable subtext--maybe they're going to play the part of an Old West saloon owner where some serious crap goes down, or they're dueling Hamlet with a poisoned sword... you know, something that requires a costume. The program starts and progresses as you'd expect for a while. Then the drum beat starts, but it's behind the victim. It repeats until the person turns around, and as they do, the holodeck replaces the current backdrop with a generic one from the video--following his eyes as he turns around this way and that, so that as soon as he looks away, it's shifted. Once the person has turned around all the way and the whole scene is changed, there's Rick Astley, dancing that silly dance, but making constant, non-blinking eye contact with the victim. Then he starts singing directly at the person. And it doesn't stop. The verses and choruses just loop over and over and over again until the person makes his way out of the holodeck.

But he hasn't left the holodeck. That's also a trick. He changes out of his outfit and tries to find the person who set him up. But he starts to notice something odd about everybody on the ship. They all spin around when the drums start up, and when they stop their flourish, they're Rick Astleys, singing.

And then, it starts to get crazy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Definitely Yaphit. He transfers over because he's pissed John got promoted, and this way he can be Chief Engineer on Far Space 12.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DoctorWhat posted:

This is Yaphit talking, not me

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi is indeed a sexy beast.

He has the best loving name, don't know why they shortened that.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Dietrich posted:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi is indeed a sexy beast.

Dudes a vampire.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tessiebee posted:

Dudes a vampire.

Demon’s Head, actually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"The crew crash land on a planet from another universe; Ed and Kelly consider getting back together."
WIll this be the last episode?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

"The crew crash land on a planet from another universe; Ed and Kelly consider getting back together."
WIll this be the last episode?

Of this season, yes. They moved the original final episode to next season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Regy Rusty posted:

Of this season, yes. They moved the original final episode to next season.

That's a weird choice. Did they think this one made a better season finale or did the season just have to be abruptly cut short for some reason?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Since they are already renewed it's like the network gets a "free" extra episode in season 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

That's a weird choice. Did they think this one made a better season finale or did the season just have to be abruptly cut short for some reason?

The fan theory is there's a cliffhanger ending and Seth planned it this way. If they only had one season, they'd get to resolve it but if they were renewed it could be used for the end of season.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Fox is pre-empting the Thursday night Timeslot every single day from now through new years, so they're just going to delay the episode to next season rather than come back in January with a single episode and then nothing.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Colm Meaney shortens this to "Sid".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Being the Transporter Chief on TNG must suck. There's probably long stretches where you're standing around doing nothing, then when it does come time for you to do your job, there's a 90% chance someone's going to die if you screw up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is why I don't read Trek novels.

Some Trek novels are awesome. Read How Much For Just the Planet, you'll laugh your nuts off.

But yeah a lot of Trek novels are trash. Heck, just about any novels based on an existing fandom are trash. I distinctly remember being given a random Star Wars novel at age twelve and thinking "holy poo poo, this is awful".