Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stuff I noticed in the preview:

Cloudy, Rainbow Raccoon, Glitter Whale Battering Ram, Kitten Pegasus Battle Barrel, and the All-Seeing Eye have officially joined the Spell Crew.
Janna and Tom will be in the same room for Star's Quinceañera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Moon looks really off with her hair opened up like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The return of StarFan13!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The return of StarFan13!

Were they ever really gone? Or were they inside of us all along...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Motherfucker posted:

Were they ever really gone? Or were they inside of us all along...

Let's face it, StarFan13 would post in this thread. Possibly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tumblr more likely, and maybe a few subreddits. This thread, like the whole forum, is for olds who can't fathom them new-fangled social medias.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Let's face it, StarFan13 would post in this thread. Possibly.

She'd be the thread OP and get banned within days after making every post about shipping.

Skippy McPants posted:

Tumblr more likely, and maybe a few subreddits. This thread, like the whole forum, is for olds who can't fathom them new-fangled social medias.

Hey, there's been crossover between SA and Tumblr before.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Hope you all are getting ready to HAIL THE STUMP

Poster art by Kayla Jones

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Overall I thought the first part was... ok. But it really came together in part 2 with the Spells chilling in Star's Wand. I love that the Mewman/Monster culture clash is being reflected there as well with the spells having to start dealing with the alien thought processes of Eclipsa's spells moving in, and the All-Seeing Eye having to adjust to things as well. That was the strongest part of the episode IMO.

Also it recontextualised the prior episode dealing with the same subject matter - The wand episode established that the wand itself is a microcosm of Mewni. Spider is succeeding where Star is failing in his pursuit of inclusivity because he is basically in charge of the realm within the wand - not officially, but his behaviour places him there. As a result, the other spells have been following his lead for years - he has rubbed off on them. They are all willing to try to be nice and consider the behaviours of others because Spider has been putting up with all their poo poo for years. Spider is representative of where Star wants to be. Star, however, has her mother and Mina to contend with, among other obstacles.

Edit: Also, something I just thought of regarding said points: I think the All Seeing Eye is just repeating what he has been taught - he only ever is used to allow the user to see things people don't want them to see - of course all the truths he reveals independently of instructions are negative, it's all he knows. In being allowed to wander the wand at his leisure he is finally able to experience positive stimuli and expand his perspective on honesty.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 2, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it recontextualised the prior episode dealing with the same subject matter - The wand episode established that the wand itself is a microcosm of Mewni. Spider is succeeding where Star is failing in his pursuit of inclusivity because he is basically in charge of the realm within the wand - not officially, but his behaviour places him there. As a result, the other spells have been following his lead for years - he has rubbed off on them. They are all willing to try to be nice and consider the behaviours of others because Spider has been putting up with all their poo poo for years. Spider is representative of where Star wants to be. Star, however, has her mother and Mina to contend with, among other obstacles.

I think you're overthinking this one. (Spoilered to be safe) For one thing, Star invented almost all her spells so they share aspects of her personality, and for another thing the episode conflict is a lot more personal than the Mewni-Monster issues. Also, Mina wasn't there to spoil the party and share a massive revelation.

One thing I must say about part two, though, is that I liked the quiet piano rendition of Spider's theme.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting implication about Star's magic; that Eclipsa's spying spell is of the same kind of summon magic that Star is a natural at, and as a result creates a magical construct entity with a mind of its own. This might be meant to indicate how Star's basically learned to run before she learned to crawl magic-wise, with a strongly creative focus to her spells; her most reliable ones tend to be creating and transforming things, animate and inanimate. (and not always the one intended).

The different colours of magic might possibly be best for different things; Star's typical pink is joy and creativity, which she usually has in spades, and thus manifests mostly in summoning and general creation magic, though we did see some destruction with Raspberry Panzerfaust (though a rocket-propelled grenade is a kind of summoning, perhaps) While the green magic that Ludo instantly picked up was clearly powered by anger, hate, and negative emotions in general, as he quickly figured out, and is excellent for no-frills destruction. The black magic we've seen from two of Eclipsa's spells... well, the All-Seeing Eye and the immortal killing spell are both ones that could be considered to break the rules, crossing boundaries and doing things that even by the few established limits of magic it probably shouldn't be able to do. And the latter at least leaves a mark on its wielder.

And it seems pretty well established that liquid gold seems to represent magic in its purest form, to a point where it starts overwhelming the user's identity.

Also on a random note, Star has used her Bunny Rabbit Blast to rocket jump.

And on another note, I think Spongebob's VA did a cameo with the voice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 2, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

And on another note, I think Spongebob's VA did a cameo with the voice.

Wouldn't shock me. Tom Kenny is in the great hall of "voice actors who are in loving everything" along with Steve Blum and Tara Strong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if it was as Star believed 'disrespecting the stump' by having her party or because everyone started fighting that incurred the Stump's wrath.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if it was as Star believed 'disrespecting the stump' by having her party or because everyone started fighting that incurred the Stump's wrath.

I'm guessing the fighting - it would fit the current theme that most traditions of Mewni are getting in the way of it's wellbeing. The stump doesn't give a poo poo about Star's Birthday clashing with it's own, it can share. The problem is everyone else misinterpreting the point of the holiday.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it's one of two options.
1) The Stump only showed up because Star /believed/ it would. Her parents didn't believe the Stump was real, but youd think they'd have ample evidence of someone having been murdered by the Stump in the past several years on Stump Day if all it took was a half-dozen people arguing to get it to happen, and Star has crazy amounts of self-trained magical power in her.

2) Someone needed either a huge distraction, or a lot of damage to happen to the castle on that night, and an ersatz Stump showing up and pretending to attempt to murder people is as good a distraction as any.

That said, no stinger scene at the end of the episode pointing toward either theory are significant marks against them; the show probably wouldn't leave the second one flapping without a "something's fishy here."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You're forgetting the obvious.
The stump has been literally used as burning wood seconds before things turned sideways. That probably counts a bit more than a bit of bickering.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're forgetting the obvious.
The stump has been literally used as burning wood seconds before things turned sideways. That probably counts a bit more than a bit of bickering.

It's especially obvious since Janna is the first victim.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, I just realised this episode marks one in-show year since the series began. Of course, then I try and figure out when that actually is, since I think the only Earth frame of reference is Halloween in 'Hungry Larry' and the end of the school year in 'Starcrushed'. Of course, the school year was in session when Star came to Earth, but then that means they managed to cram all of season 1 & like half of season 2 into a few weeks!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's a cartoon. Unless stated otherwise, that might be the first of several birthdays, all set in completely different seasons.
And frankly, it would be kinda weird, if Mewni uses the same calendar as earth. Don't overthink it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know, I just realised this episode marks one in-show year since the series began. Of course, then I try and figure out when that actually is, since I think the only Earth frame of reference is Halloween in 'Hungry Larry' and the end of the school year in 'Starcrushed'. Of course, the school year was in session when Star came to Earth, but then that means they managed to cram all of season 1 & like half of season 2 into a few weeks!

Not quite, since they take care to mention that they don't celebrate Star's birthday on her actual birthday, which I thought was a nice touch (Since I've got some friends/relatives with Christmas or near-Christmas birthdays who typically do the same thing). As to when Star came to Earth specifically though, the Interdimensional Exchange Student Agreement that Marco has in Sophomore Slump explicitly plants it on August 18th.

It should be noted though that Hungry Larry was explicitly produced to be able to be aired out of order as a Halloween special, and the show's timeline is a little wonky and self-contradictory regardless, so it's really best not to worry too much about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's probably a bit late to talk about my thoughts on the episodes, but while I thought Stump Day was fine and I enjoyed it, I really wasn't a fan of Holiday Spellcial. The show's writing is at its best when it's defying convention and doing something new, and that segment was basically the opposite of that-the episode was predictable as hell, the ending was contrived, and it just wasn't really that funny. It's a shame, since I liked the original Spider with a Top Hat, but oh well, not every episode's gonna be a winner :shrug:

Anyway, some other stuff:

-The full song that Ponyhead's sisters Shonda and Shinda tried to play in Ponymonium has been posted to instagram and It Sure Is A Thing Alright

-There's apparently a fangame in the works and it looks... not terrible?

If nothing else it's responsible for this incredible gif:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
star vs. usually handles issues of class and abuse of power well, so it was a bit jarring to have the conclusion of the holiday spellcial be "maybe a police state is a good thing, since having your every move be watched means some of the good stuff will be recorded too!"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I highly doubt that was the ep's intent

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

star vs. usually handles issues of class and abuse of power well, so it was a bit jarring to have the conclusion of the holiday spellcial be "maybe a police state is a good thing, since having your every move be watched means some of the good stuff will be recorded too!"

How did you get "police state" out of "let everybody know what everybody does behind each other's backs?" That's the free flow of information. The All-Seeing Eye doesn't represent state cameras so much as the cameras on everyone's phones that record video and post everything online.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
All Seeing Eye's supposed to be that weird guy who's honesty is a bit too blunt

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There's one nugget of something potentially interesting going on beneath the surface (Does the All Seeing Eye focus on Marco's words so much because he was the last person to use the spell?), but even then they don't actually do anything interesting with the setup. Instead, the episode as written could basically be played out in any teen sitcom with only minor alterations to the setting/characters-and I hate teen sitcoms! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also, comparing the All-Seeing Eye to a police state is kind of insulting to the All-Seeing Eye - It's not his fault that he's considered an "evil" spell, it's just how he's been used. At least within the confines of the wand, he seems to be learning how to be... better in his own way. He doesn't make or enforce any rules, unlike a police state, he just records what people in the room are doing - he's just a sentient Go-Pro with no sense of boundaries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the point is that the All Seeing Eye contrasts with the rest of the living spells in the wand, who are all creations of Star; he's a transplant, an import from Eclipsa's chapter, and notably one the only spells we've seen detailed in Star's new spellbook that isn't her own creation. The episode gives some insight into the way the wand's magic works, especially given Star's talent has been explicitly compared to be as strong as Eclipsa was at her age, but their styles have some strong contrasts. Mainly that while Star's spells are all mostly living, sentient things with rounded personalities and stuff they do when they're not being used, while the Eye is poorly equipped for anything but its intended purpose. (though note that both Star and Marco have used it for other reasons; not to spy on someone who doesn't want to be seen, but to search for someone who has been lost in hopes of rescuing them)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's one nugget of something potentially interesting going on beneath the surface (Does the All Seeing Eye focus on Marco's words so much because he was the last person to use the spell?), but even then they don't actually do anything interesting with the setup. Instead, the episode as written could basically be played out in any teen sitcom with only minor alterations to the setting/characters-and I hate teen sitcoms! :argh:

It could also be because Star was using it to stalkkeep an eye on Marco (no pun intended) after he went back to Earth. I don't think it's a coincidence that Jackie is the one in that scene.

Although I'm confused why she would be skateboarding indoors.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Although I'm confused why she would be skateboarding indoors.

She pretty much skates everywhere. That was established before.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

She pretty much skates everywhere. That was established before.

She has a brand to maintain, after all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So nothing's been announced officially, but it looks like the show may return on January 22nd with a pair of episodes entitled Is Another Mystery/Marco Jr.. Good news for all the Buff Frog fans out there! :v:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I didn't catch the holiday episodes, did anything important happen there or are they safe to skip?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

I didn't catch the holiday episodes, did anything important happen there or are they safe to skip?

"Stump Day" features some relationship development. "Holiday Special" takes place entirely inside Star's wand with Spider With A Top Hat et al and thus prooooobably isn't important to the overall plot, so you could probably skip it, but I don't know why you'd want to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I feel that the holiday special in the wand has thematic relevance at least, due to the concept of the other spells having to learn to accept Seeing Eye despite his relatively warped concepts of morality, and Seeing Eye having to become more flexible to adapt to the wand's way of life in turn.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So nothing's been announced officially, but it looks like the show may return on January 22nd with a pair of episodes entitled Is Another Mystery/Marco Jr.. Good news for all the Buff Frog fans out there! :v:

So as an update to this, not only has Disney still not announced anything but the episode's been moved off the calendar, so it's still up in the air as to when the show's actually going to come back.

On the plus side, when it does come back we should be in for a wild time:

https://twitter.com/_AdamM/status/946453113057054720

https://twitter.com/Hug_bees/status/946474295605080064

Benne posted:

Stump Day was good, Spellcial was okay, both worth seeing but not critical if you don't have 22 minutes to spare for some reason.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 3, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Holy poo poo it's been a while since there's been any actual news. Once again though, Disney's online schedule has indicated the show is coming back on March 3rd, with the pair of episodes “The Bogbeast of Boggabah / Total Eclipsa The Moon”. Here's to hoping this is an actual indication the show's coming back soon, and that Disney doesn't decide to gently caress with the scheduling again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Disney scheduling will always be completely hosed up. It is a universal constant.