Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God loving dammit Rex you need to start asking Nia questions and Nia you need to start answering those questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Is there a concrete number of Permanent Party Members that can use Core Crystals by the end of the game? Wondering how many of the 38 unique Blades to save for later party members, and how many Rare Crystals to just blow on Rex and Mia at the start of Chapter 4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lol what the gently caress was the ending to chapter 4. Like what the hell did the game just do because I'm really confused. Am I playing xenoblade still. Help me.

Also in regards to the start of chapter 5 I got Morag 4 rare cubes. She got 3 uniques back to back lol. Dhalia, Agate, and Azami. Haha what.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tyma posted:

Is there a concrete number of Permanent Party Members that can use Core Crystals by the end of the game? Wondering how many of the 38 unique Blades to save for later party members, and how many Rare Crystals to just blow on Rex and Mia at the start of Chapter 4.

4 Blade using party members.

Don't blow any on Rex though. Just give him the two guarenteed ones. Beastly core and the story one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gave Rex some cores and I use Ursula pretty often on him and GEORG when I wanna mix things up a bit.
I suggest doing what you want because the game doesn't punish you at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There is also a later game mechanic that means you don't want a ton of rare blades on Rex.

And if you want to use party members 4 or 5 it really pays not to stock up Rex and Nia since rare blades seem to get rarer the more you have.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

Zore posted:

There is also a later game mechanic that means you don't want a ton of rare blades on Rex.

If I have 2 rares on Rex already outside the guaranteed 2, should I be looking to overdrive them asap?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

If I have 2 rares on Rex already outside the guaranteed 2, should I be looking to overdrive them asap?

When you have someone you want to be on I guess. Mechanics spoiler for the mid/late game

Rex eventually gets the ability to use everyone's Blades without them being assigned to him so any blade on him is kind of a waste after that point unless you never wantee to use it with anyone else.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

And if you want to use party members 4 or 5 it really pays not to stock up Rex and Nia since rare blades seem to get rarer the more you have.

I can attest, I had 1 in 3 rare cores giving me a unique for the first half of the game, but once I started getting a relatively regular source of rares, the well's run a lot drier.

This is maybe the first game in a long while I sort of want to buy a strategy guide for, but I don't wanna spoil anything for myself either.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Valatar posted:

So now that people've had a few days to get used to XC2, I have a question: Is the combat less tedious than XCX? I got XCX because I loved me some Xenogears and wanted more mechs, but the actual gameplay was just... eh. It was like playing a MMORPG with only four buttons. I bailed on it hours before getting far enough to actually get a mech, I just couldn't take any more.

XCX's problem when it came to combat was putting a loving load of stupid worthless and ultimately convoluted statuses and elements and other factors within weapons/skills that barely get utilized. It was overly complex for zero reason. The combo and Blade system is a way better take on refining XC1's combat than the godawful lard of XCX's systems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caphi posted:

I'm thinking of just trying to write up all the names - at least the Titan and Blade names - and what they reference in Japanese and English.

The things that always get me is the random parts that aren't "translated." Tora is a Nopon and Nopon are traditionally left alone, so that's fine. Azami is a one-off rare Blade who's left for no reason I'm aware of, and Zeke Genbu is just out of place (plus they took out the "Ultimate" which is the best part of his name).

From the general look, they tried to go with recognizable mythological counterparts from UK/European folklore. UK People might not recognized Kagatsuchi as a goddess of blacksmithing, but they might know of Brighid from irish folklore.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'd complain about some of the worse bits of the voice acting, but the grumpy scottish cat more than makes up for it in my book.

Nia's accent is welsh, ya numpty.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any particularly good money making methods discovered yet? I’m in ch4 and salvaging & trading collections has been kinda hit or miss and slow besides.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't know any methods at all so it would be nice to hear what people are doin'

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zore posted:

When you have someone you want to be on I guess. Mechanics spoiler for the mid/late game

Rex eventually gets the ability to use everyone's Blades without them being assigned to him so any blade on him is kind of a waste after that point unless you never wantee to use it with anyone else.

I'm glad I read this lol. Thank you, that's helpful

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ciaphas posted:

Any particularly good money making methods discovered yet? I’m in ch4 and salvaging & trading collections has been kinda hit or miss and slow besides.

The new town in Chapter 4 sells Golden Tanks for Salvaging. Use those puppies down at that Titan's dock, preferably with Blades who have Salvaging Mastery and work that loop for like ten minutes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DLC Inc posted:

this still sucks to some extent especially when a big fuckin bird who is level 70 butts into your battle but it's nowhere near as obnoxious as XCX was, which lietrally made you wade into nightmare territories of these enemies to plant your dumb mining equipment.

I will say that one of my chief complaints about XCX was "where the gently caress are all the Nopon" and XC2 definitely bumped up the Nopon ratio to an insane degree.

I still hope there's some kind of passing reference to XC1, given how the concept of living on the backs of giants is once again a prevailing theme.

I'm sorry, this is from a couple pages back, but XCX still had a ton of Nopon though? Just not in the main storyline. They had some really fun sidequests too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
XCX had plenty of Nopon in the form of Tatsu. The problem is that it was loving Tatsu.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno why it's different for you, but the method I outlined earlier still nets me tons of cash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm sorry, this is from a couple pages back, but XCX still had a ton of Nopon though? Just not in the main storyline. They had some really fun sidequests too.

You do have to do a few sidequests to get the trading companies into NLA, but after that the city is positively stuffed full of Nopon. A fair few even join up as BLADES.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I dunno why it's different for you, but the method I outlined earlier still nets me tons of cash.

Turns out golden cylinders are just that overpowered actually :stare:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Ciaphas posted:

Easiest way I've found to get money is to spam gold salvage canisters at the Toragoth salvage point near all the shops. Any mobs that come up get one shot (assuming you're at least mid game). When you run out of canisters hoof it over to the salvage turn in shop and sell whatever you can at the bottom of the shop's menu. There's a 41k item and a few 30k items - just don't sell the items at the top cause it's not worth it.

Buy more canisters at the shop next door and repeat the process.

You'll get rank 5 development for Gormott and a cool million gold in like half an hour or less of salvaging.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, just got my third freaking wind rare on Nia. I think the boosters definitely effect the element of commons but it feels like a total crap shoot when it comes to rares. Is it possible to get light element commons?

Leathal posted:

Easiest way I've found to get money is to spam gold salvage canisters at the Toragoth salvage point near all the shops. Any mobs that come up get one shot (assuming you're at least mid game). When you run out of canisters hoof it over to the salvage turn in shop and sell whatever you can at the bottom of the shop's menu. There's a 41k item and a few 30k items - just don't sell the items at the top cause it's not worth it.

Buy more canisters at the shop next door and repeat the process.

You'll get rank 5 development for Gormott and a cool million gold in like half an hour or less of salvaging.

It's weird how obscure the salvage NPC is, considering how vital he is to the minigame. I think ranking up also makes the QTEs easier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Ugh, just got my third freaking wind rare on Nia. I think the boosters definitely effect the element of commons but it feels like a total crap shoot when it comes to rares. Is it possible to get light element commons?

It's weird how obscure the salvage NPC is, considering how vital he is to the minigame. I think ranking up also makes the QTEs easier.

salvage npc?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Moon Monster posted:

I've heard light element is exclusive to KOSMOS and also the story one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I super enjoy how in the P&M fight in the Old Factory I literally walk into the arena, get launched, and then instantly die. Super good difficulty curve game

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I need some help with the sidequest "We Meet Again" in Mor Ardain. I'm on the step where I have to go into the old underground warehouse at Admar Storage Zone but I'm too stupid to find the entrance. I got a key and everything but I have no idea where the lock for it is and the map is (as always) awful. I'm standing right on the marker but it's 35 moon units below me... urgh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ciaphas posted:

salvage npc?

In argentum he's on a platform on like the fourth floor that you have to jump to, he'll give you a rank and also stuff when you rank up.

At least I assume that's who they're talking about.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

Turns out golden cylinders are just that overpowered actually :stare:

Whoops, I confused with you for abraxas, my bad. They were having issues with salvaging.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When do I get the ability to set three Blades, only having two is bullshit

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bizarre deformity posted:

End of chapter 3/start of chapter 4 I forget exactly but it's one of those two (near the cutscene extravaganza)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bizarre deformity posted:

end of chapter 3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IcePhoenix posted:

end of chapter 3

It wasn't worth the price paid. Goodnight, you top Aussie Bloke :sigh:.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck yeah, I got my second rare blade from another common core crystal (Adenine) and also bonded it to Nia so I don't need to transfer it. Going to just save all future crystals since I already have one extra rare on both Rex and Nia.

By the way, I finally did my first actual 3 special combo now that I'm home and can try out what people explained to me in this thread. It did a heck of a lot of damage.

edit: It's interesting how it seems like the Nopon's only speech quirk in Japanese is adding "mo" to the end of what they say, as opposed to the caveman-ish thing they do in English.

edit2: By the way, do 3/4* blades exist? I haven't gotten anything but 1/2* ones and two 5* ones.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2017

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abraxas posted:

I need some help with the sidequest "We Meet Again" in Mor Ardain. I'm on the step where I have to go into the old underground warehouse at Admar Storage Zone but I'm too stupid to find the entrance. I got a key and everything but I have no idea where the lock for it is and the map is (as always) awful. I'm standing right on the marker but it's 35 moon units below me... urgh.

You gotta climb on a building then jump from a pipe over a gap on to a ledge where the door is. The door is literally on a ledge not connected to anything else.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not sure if I'm bad at the game or if this Merc miniboss is just lying about his level. He's 42 and if I get him down to 25% he just one shots my entire goddamn party. I've tried a handful of different combinations/equips and he just kills everyone in one shot even though we're 41-42. It's really frustrating as he's blocking me off ranking up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So like, do I ever actually get to use Foresight? That was the best mechanic in XB1 and it’s kinda lame that we only hear about it but don’t use it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

So like, do I ever actually get to use Foresight? That was the best mechanic in XB1 and it’s kinda lame that we only hear about it but don’t use it

Sadly no, it's just a passive evade buff. I was disappointed too.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

DLC Inc posted:

XCX's problem when it came to combat was putting a loving load of stupid worthless and ultimately convoluted statuses and elements and other factors within weapons/skills that barely get utilized. It was overly complex for zero reason. The combo and Blade system is a way better take on refining XC1's combat than the godawful lard of XCX's systems.

i love xc2 combat system but, huh, you havent played a lot of xcx have you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I love how when Kora comes back from a merc mission she just talks for like 30 seconds straight even as you move through the menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawabata posted:

i love xc2 combat system but, huh, you havent played a lot of xcx have you

I played XCX and I'd agree with that. The game bloats itself with tons of mechanics it explains poorly and makes them all sound important but a bunch of them are extremely minor. At other times it doesn't make any effort to explain what is going on in combat to you. I had no clue what a bunch of the status effects actually did because the game doesn't bother giving you an explanation for them.