Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KingSlime posted:

I don't know, it definitely has its strengths, and the inspiration it takes from literature is super rad. DS2's almost fairy-tale like setting was kinda fun to get lost in though, and DS1 was really refreshing to me after not having played a proper modern dark fantasy action game in a long time (mostly stuck to metroidvanias)

My least favorite was DS3 in terms of atmosphere. "Here's dark souls 1 but it's all faded and mutated and washed out." It had its neat moments but they were very sparsely peppered between an oddly bland and boring world that betrayed the creativity behind some enemy designs

That's why I like 3, it's a dying world and it feels like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

From explicitly has said they don't want to become "the dark souls company" and they're going really hard at AC right now so who knows.

They will still make that style of game (theyve been making kings field for 20 years) but namco owns dark souls so they want to work on their own ip most likely

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is the Switch ever going to have themes?

Nintendo likes money so almost certainly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Namco own Dark Souls outright or just the international publishing rights? I know From self publishes it in Japan.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

quote:

With Christmas just around the corner, many of us will no doubt be shopping for gifts online trying to get organised instead of enduring the annual last-minute dash. A mother from the UK, Charlotte Moore, 30, did just that and decided to buy a Nintendo Switch for her children in time for Christmas Day. As the parcel was delivered, Moore felt the urge to check the unusually heavy package. Upon opening the box, she wasn’t greeted with the sight of a Nintendo Switch but to a box of Daz washing powder instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's why I like 3, it's a dying world and it feels like it.

They all feel like dying worlds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The streamer I was watching to learn about Xenoblade 2 just quit the game out of frustration with how tedious it was :regd09:

The funny thing is watching their stream I'd been thinking that the game looked a lot better than I thought it would be.

What kid wouldn't be thrilled to find dish soap under the Christmas Tree???

SeANMcBAY posted:

They all feel like dying worlds.

Eh not really. Dark Souls 1's plot is that the world is on the edge of teetering into ruin but it still has an air of grandeur to it. The works of the old gods are still standing and some of them are still alive. You can see the majesty of splendor that was once present pretty clearly. The emebers of the Age of Fire are still warm, and there is hope that you can reignite them.

Dark Souls 2 is very different though, because its entire plot hinges on the world being trapped in an endless cycle of life and death. A perpetual age of twilight in which kingdoms rise and fall, stretching backwards through countless years. Its not a dying world but one that is stagnant and doomed to live and die unless you find a way to break that cycle.

Dark Souls 3 though everything is just ruined and hosed. There's no hope left. The best ending to that game is you embracing the end and hoping that something new can rise from it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dark Souls for breakfast!?!?

Dark Souls in the morning, Dark Souls in the evening, Dark Souls at supper time

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Voxx posted:

Oh hey they fixed a lot of people's issue with hdmi adapters with 4.1.0 (myself included). Now I can finally enjoy odyssey on a big screen.

God do I take the risk and update? Sure most issues are resolved?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

KingEup posted:

God do I take the risk and update? Sure most issues are resolved?

Check if your display is in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7875o9/monitor_users_are_you_able_to_select_all_switch/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

The streamer I was watching to learn about Xenoblade 2 just quit the game out of frustration with how tedious it was :regd09:

The funny thing is watching their stream I'd been thinking that the game looked a lot better than I thought it would be.

What kid wouldn't be thrilled to find dish soap under the Christmas Tree???

Eh not really. Dark Souls 1's plot is that the world is on the edge of teetering into ruin but it still has an air of grandeur to it. The works of the old gods are still standing and some of them are still alive. You can see the majesty of splendor that was once present pretty clearly. The emebers of the Age of Fire are still warm, and there is hope that you can reignite them.

Dark Souls 2 is very different though, because its entire plot hinges on the world being trapped in an endless cycle of life and death. A perpetual age of twilight in which kingdoms rise and fall, stretching backwards through countless years. Its not a dying world but one that is stagnant and doomed to live and die unless you find a way to break that cycle.

Dark Souls 3 though everything is just ruined and hosed. There's no hope left. The best ending to that game is you embracing the end and hoping that something new can rise from it.

Its extremely tedious but good?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
xenoblade 2 really needs more trash mobs you can kill quickly. i'm tired of having to execute numerous blade combos to kill even the most meager of equal leveled mobs. you're a loving bunny rabbit, why do i have to cast like six mega spells on you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

Its extremely tedious but good?

Well he didn't think so. The combat didn't suit him and he wasn't engaged with the plot so he just got sick of it. I can kind of see where he was coming from with the combat; every fight was taking a ton of time to complete but his HP was never dropping low so there wasn't any tension. I dunno what he could of done to alleviate that since I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of it.

I never really found the combat in Xenoblade 1 to be that tedious but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it a ton either. Xenoblade X was so bloated with chaff that I hated playing it but it doesn't look like that's as much of an issue in Xenoblade 2.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kay I've put about five hours into Xeno 2 now, and I'm glad to say that it's much better than I was anticipating, which is a relief. It feels like the sequel I was hoping XenoX was going to be but wasn't.

Music is fantastic, worlds are lush and fun to explore, combat isn't a confusing mess though I'm not yet deep enough into the game where it requires more thought than "hit em with your arts", and there's a lot of side stuff to get distracted with. Story is flashy but ultimately kinda empty right now, feels like not much is happening beyond setup, so it's not quite as good as the first game but it's miles better than X.

I've gotten used to the artstyle now, and outside of Pyra and Rex everybody looks great. Just... whoo boy those two main characters are a hot mess.

I'm also noticing a lot of production issues. Cutscenes playing without sound just voices, animations not syncing with sound or voices, it feels rushed, like they needed another couple of months to get cutscenes up to snuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xenoblade 1s combat was so painful. Like your about to do a move but nope, surprise future sight cutscene gonna take up 10 seconds and then keep happening. Also skill bar navigation vs dedicated buttons is no contest

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The future sight mechanic is something I've seen most people enjoy though. I thought it was pretty clever and haven't really seen complaints about it before.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Shulk's future visions were almost always extremely cool, and it was awesome how it was a story mechanic that played into specific game mechanics which could be played around with in multiple ways depending on the character. My only problem is that, when you hit level 85+ or so in the post game, they stop mattering much in fights because the visions will naturally get interrupted by something else you already had to do, so they feel redundant.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well he didn't think so. The combat didn't suit him and he wasn't engaged with the plot so he just got sick of it. I can kind of see where he was coming from with the combat; every fight was taking a ton of time to complete but his HP was never dropping low so there wasn't any tension. I dunno what he could of done to alleviate that since I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of it.

Understanding the mechanics and playing well with chain attacks and stuff usually speeds up combat in the other XC games, so maybe because he didn't understand it, he was doing it the long way? This absolutely could happen in XC1 so I figured it'd be the same in XC2

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

The future sight mechanic is something I've seen most people enjoy though. I thought it was pretty clever and haven't really seen complaints about it before.

It was easily the most interesting part of the combat, and the fact that it extended to a bunch of stuff outside of combat was pretty slick, but I have had fights where it felt like it was being triggered by nearly every attack and having it go off a half dozen times a minute can get annoying.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Holy hell titan quest switch would be awesome, I played the hell out of that after I got tired of Diablo II and was waiting for Diablo III to come out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ventana posted:

Understanding the mechanics and playing well with chain attacks and stuff usually speeds up combat in the other XC games, so maybe because he didn't understand it, he was doing it the long way? This absolutely could happen in XC1 so I figured it'd be the same in XC2

Probably a little bit of this and also the fact that it takes too long to introduce the things that make combat interesting in XC2. Once they do, the battle system is really cool (and I wasn't crazy about XC1 personally) but the first couple hours don't show it's potential very well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Namco own Dark Souls outright or just the international publishing rights? I know From self publishes it in Japan.

Bamco owns Dark Souls, From don't self publish anywhere

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would like to see Ori and the Blind Forest 2 (Will of the Wisps) on the Switch, but it's a made by a 3rd Party Microsoft studio

Thankfully Rainway may help me to do that via Steam :getin:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i will soon play dark souls while on a bus

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ventana posted:

He wasn't using chain attacks at all. Someone specifically brought up using them and he said he wasn't able to. I dunno if they are locked behind a story scene or if he was just somehow screwing them up but from what I understand you just hit + with a full 3 bars so I'm not sure how you could.

The part he quit was right after the Vandham (I think? the big green guy) fight. Which sucked because I actually really wanted to see more of that environment!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because old games shouldn't be left to die on console hardware that is wearing down, isn't in production and a lot of people don't want to hoard/collect.
I disagree, RIP old games

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The future sight theme was really cleverly used when you'd pick up an item that you didn't have the quest for yet, and Shulk would be like "hey, in the future I'm going to need three of these!" Such a great solution to that problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

He wasn't using chain attacks at all. Someone specifically brought up using them and he said he wasn't able to. I dunno if they are locked behind a story scene or if he was just somehow screwing them up but from what I understand you just hit + with a full 3 bars so I'm not sure how you could.

The part he quit was right after the Vandham (I think? the big green guy) fight. Which sucked because I actually really wanted to see more of that environment!

Uraya is basically an entire Titan styled like Satorl Marsh. Not to mention that Vandham is a Top Bloke of a character. For those that haven't played XC2, he's got an Aussie accent and proper slang in his dialogue to boot :allears:.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So Nine Parchments is fun and can get pretty hectic--at some points it's more Geometry Wars than Magicka/Diablo. But I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how the game saves your progress across play sessions. I'm trying to play online with other people, and I'm getting sick of repeating the first two levels over and over every time I try to start a new session.

There are a ton of different ways to start playing, so I hosted a public online game and started from the beginning again, then played until after the first boss and tried each of the options.
  • Resume Game - Picks up where I left off, but seemingly in single-player mode? Played for half an hour and nobody joined.
  • Single Player - New game prompt
  • Continue an existing multiplayer game - No games were found.
  • Local Multiplayer - New game prompt
  • Local Wireless - No new game prompt, but appears to go through the new game setup, e.g., selecting difficulty. Not sure what happens if I click through, didn't want to lose my progress again
  • Join Game - New game prompt
  • Host Game (public) - New game prompt
  • Host Game (with friends) - New game prompt
  • Choose game - Not sure what happens, maybe overwrites your current game?
The bolded bits are what confuse me. When I see "resume game," I assume that means it'll continue my previous game, which was played online and was joinable. If I have to stop playing my game and pick up later, I don't want to be forced into single-player mode. And if not "resume game," then surely "continue existing multiplayer game" would allow me to, you know, continue my multiplayer game. But even though I was the host, and everybody else had left when I quit back to the main menu, it couldn't find a game for me. Why is it even trying to find a game instead of spinning up a new instance for me?

The game is fun so far, but I'm playing mostly in Switch handheld mode and I'm not going to sit for 6-8 hours to beat the campaign in one sitting, and I'd like to have some people to accompany me along the way. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep my progress but make my game joinable.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 6, 2017

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I'd say that sounds like a bug.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was messing around some more, and somehow lost most of my unlock progress, which the game explicitly says you won't lose when you start a new game. I still have my unlocked achievements and one of the alternate costumes, but all my hat and staff unlocks and my overall character level are all gone.

Think I'm just gonna stick to Xenoblade until the game gets a patch or two.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uraya is basically an entire Titan styled like Satorl Marsh. Not to mention that Vandham is a Top Bloke of a character. For those that haven't played XC2, he's got an Aussie accent and proper slang in his dialogue to boot :allears:.

I will say that as much as I've criticized Xenoblade 2 the environments and music seem to be worthy successors to the original's. I want someone to make a real open world game with a setting like those.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The wired controller I got on Black Friday is some mad piece of garbage, it randomly disconnects and now the D-Pad is permenently sunk downwards. It was only $18 bux but man, I shoulda just shelled out for the proper Nintendo one.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I hate anime but I am having fun with Xenoblade. Even the terrible compass system is kind of charming because it forces me against my will to explore.

The system for handling blades/upgrading poo poo/unlocking affinity/blah blah is a little wonky and I wish it were more streamlined but so far it’s fun.

And boy oh boy those titties!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sensual Simian posted:

I hate anime but I am having fun with Xenoblade.

Turns out you don't hate anime

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo Switch: Turns out you don't hate anime

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo Switch:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't kinkshame ITT

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rocs flour sack boobies are huge

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Nintendo Switch:

To be fair, writ large the exaggerated Blade designs actually work in the context of the game's setting (and I fully acknowledge some are pretty drat fanservicey). Everyone else just has pretty normal clothing, and even Rex's outfit has a purpose - it's most of his diving suit for salvaging and every other Salvager wears something similar. It makes a lot of sense why people can just see stuff like a weird girl with rings floating around her limbs at the marketplace and go "oh hey, a Blade" on-sight.

• Locked thread