Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Good old England. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and convincing a mediocre Australian side that they are world beaters. (Recent losses to Bangladesh don't count because they were in a scary foreign country to even scarier brown skinned individuals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

"Jaws of victory"

I'm a ridiculously pessimistic Australian but this might be stretching it a little bit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Itsangrydad10/status/937998005499596801

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
england were fairly well poised at the start of the day. root was looking good and woakes has proven he cant bat plus england bat deep with moeen and bairstow to come.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BrigadierSensible posted:

Good old England. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and convincing a mediocre Australian side that they are world beaters. (Recent losses to Bangladesh don't count because they were in a scary foreign country to even scarier brown skinned individuals.)

Steady on we only lost 1 match in Bangladesh. So did England. They are pretty good at home.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

cricinfo posted:

Starc to Broad, OUT, outside off, full length, a thin edge, a low catch to the keeper. A valiant but sorry stay from a batsman who is a shadow of his former self

um ok

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If Starc can clean up the tail every test that would be good enough. There is certainly value in just finishing off an innings.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Well at least I didn't get up especially

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lionel Richie posted:

Well at least I didn't get up especially

australia squeak through

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another game that was closer than the end result suggested.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

seriously, if you go into Broad's stats he averages worse every year

twelve of his thirteen 50+ scores were 2013 or earlier

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Well played to the Australian quicks who were rightly criticised last night for bowling poo. It seems all three bowled well.

England will feel like they could have won if they didn't make so many errors. Steve Smith has been saved from being geek of the week by his quicks on day 5. Now Joe Root will win it for sending us in.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i get losing quick wickets at night when the ball is hooping around but both teams played incredibly poorly in pretty good batting conditions during the day periods

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

England lost really in the first day and half bowling a really dumb length, they were largely the better team after that

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
:woop: 5-0 is still on boys.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

This is looking dangerously close to the last Australian ashes where England "almost" had a chance to knock us over in every test until they got to Sydney and then they had finally given up.

The equivalent to England bowling too short in the first innings was Carberry dropping Haddin in our first innings.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
What I still don't like as an Aussie is the fact that at the presentation Smith was asked if not enforcing the follow on was a mistake and he basically said "Well, we won so who cares? If we lost I'd think about it, but we didn't, no need to reflect on mistakes and improve!"

Like, the team will never improve unless they try to learn lessons, even if it doesn't matter in the end and they win.

Sometimes I think cricketers might be as dumb as rugby league players, they're like only two molested dogs away from being the same.

Both Cummins and Lyon are going to bowl worse than they did in this innings, at some point in this series, but actually take like five wickets each. If you watched the way each Australian bowled, Starc was far and away the worst but somehow he gets the five for. poo poo gets wickets? It would explain Shane Warne.

Cricket just doesn't make sense.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
poo poo gets wickets is Brett Lee's entire career

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The WACA is going to be a total road imo, it is the last international test at the venue and they will want to milk every cent out of 5 days worth of cricket. It has been a poo poo wicket for a decade and they aren't going to put in some 3 day 1980's style WACA pitch to see the ground off. The shield matches here have been boring as gently caress

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Captaincy is overrated to a pretty large degree. A captain normally looks good because of his players. that said where a captain can look good is doing things like enforcing the follow on like he should have last night.

Depends, for someone like Steve Waugh he just needed to decide which of his all time great bowlers to bring on next, whereas for someone like Stephen Fleming there was a hell of a lot of work to do.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

EMC posted:

The WACA is going to be a total road imo, it is the last international test at the venue and they will want to milk every cent out of 5 days worth of cricket. It has been a poo poo wicket for a decade and they aren't going to put in some 3 day 1980's style WACA pitch to see the ground off. The shield matches here have been boring as gently caress

Flat pitch suits us unless the weather is extremely unperth like

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's no sadcook.jpg but it will have to do.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Stokes scored 34 from 41, then bowled 7 overs 0/39 in another loss for Canterbury.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

V for Vegas posted:

It's no sadcook.jpg but it will have to do.

That is a pretty disgraceful attempt at facial hair

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Going to wake up at half six tomorrow morning to highlights of England's collapse

I'm drat good at this

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
I really don't see how enforcing the follow on could be considered the correct thing to do in the second test of a 5 game series over 7 weeks. Fast bowling is hard on the body, unless there's something on the line, I don't see a sensible reason to push three injury prone quicks to their physical limits - especially when you're already in a good position to win the match.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Implants posted:

I really don't see how enforcing the follow on could be considered the correct thing to do in the second test of a 5 game series over 7 weeks. Fast bowling is hard on the body, unless there's something on the line, I don't see a sensible reason to push three injury prone quicks to their physical limits - especially when you're already in a good position to win the match.

Yeah, perfectly sensible decision to me in the context of the series.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think the argument would be that Englands strength is swing bowling and the Australian weakness is to a ball full and moving. So by not enforcing the follow on he exposed our weakness to their strength.

I wonder how we would have gone if he did the Bradman reverse the batting order thing from 37

I am still 50/50 on the call (I would have been damning it if we lost) it was a tough one. Global rates of enforcing the follow on are extremely low for specific reasons. Pitches don't deteriorate any more or at least they don't deteriorate to the same degree they did 20 years ago, teams bat much deeper (in theory the English tail has been terrible. That said Overton scored a good 40) and probably most importantly of all scheduling has test matches played back to back.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I think the argument would be that Englands strength is swing bowling and the Australian weakness is to a ball full and moving. So by not enforcing the follow on he exposed our weakness to their strength.

I wonder how we would have gone if he did the Bradman reverse the batting order thing from 37

I am still 50/50 on the call (I would have been damning it if we lost) it was a tough one. Global rates of enforcing the follow on are extremely low for specific reasons. Pitches don't deteriorate any more or at least they don't deteriorate to the same degree they did 20 years ago, teams bat much deeper (in theory the English tail has been terrible. That said Overton scored a good 40) and probably most importantly of all scheduling has test matches played back to back.

If it were the last test, or at least if there weren't 3 more of the bloody things then yeah enforce the follow on. What he did was slightly lessen the odds of winning this test by an insignificant amount in order to rest your notoriously fragile fast bowlers for the next three.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
I mean, did it really damage the chance of a win at all? The lead was already decent for a 4th innings - chances of getting up 300 as a lead was high I think, and chasing down 300 in the 4th innings has only happened like 30 times in all of cricket history. Pretty good call imo.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Follow on or not there was little chance Australia would lose the test. Not following on definitely made it possible for England to win, despite it being unlikely. If the follow on had been enforced the best result I could see for England would have been a draw.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Implants posted:

I mean, did it really damage the chance of a win at all? The lead was already decent for a 4th innings - chances of getting up 300 as a lead was high I think, and chasing down 300 in the 4th innings has only happened like 30 times in all of cricket history. Pretty good call imo.

I agree. I also doubt Smith thought they'd bat as badly as they did. I get that it was loving hard batting in the night session but they had no excuse to collapse the way they did the next day and I don't think Smith would've been considering that when he made the decision. Add an extra 50 or so runs to their second innings score and you're probably looking at a total they should have been able to achieve, which would've set England 400 or so to win.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Mitch Marsh has been added to the squad for Perth. Australia are unstoppable now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Scylo posted:

Mitch Marsh has been added to the squad for Perth. Australia are unstoppable now.

The Human Victory Cigar has been deployed :( Oh the humiliation

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

Scylo posted:

Somewhere, in a musty attic, a monkey's paw closes another finger.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cementing the Marsh brothers in the Australian lineup for years to come with a dominant Australian Ashes win, the ultimate English moral victory

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Sri Lanka need to bat out 21 overs, 5 wickets left.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think I would have preferred Burns in for Handscomb if they wanted to go for a guy who has failed at test level. He is in fantastic shield form. Maxwell should feel a bit robbed as well.

But Marsh statistically one of the worst number 6 batsmen of all time into an already shaky batting line up. That is a worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what does another lovely batsman who bowls seam going to add to a squad which already has 3 good paceman and a weak batting lineup? at the very least maxwell adds another spin option if all three quicks are tired.