Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The character I get at the start of ch5 stays for the duration, right? When does the presumed final character join up? Debating giving that inherited core crystal to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

The character I get at the start of ch5 stays for the duration, right? When does the presumed final character join up? Debating giving that inherited core crystal to them.

Yes, they stay. And don't forget you can use Overdrives to transfer Blades to other Drivers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, they stay. And don't forget you can use Overdrives to transfer Blades to other Drivers.

Yeah but those 5hings are stupid uncommon so far so I figured I’d save the heartache

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Some of the blade side quests are insane and long. Completion is going to be hard.

I'm training one of my blades to be an idol or something.
Also, I've already spent a total of 1.5m gold on another blade.

I'm barely in ch5 and have 1/2 of the rare blades

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've only just gotten to Chapter 2 and I already have three rare blades on Rex. Should I start opening blades on my other characters?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess it doesn't matter if I can transfer to other drivers.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 6, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, is there any inherint penelty like having to start over with the trust board or anything I should know before I think about this?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ah, is there any inherint penelty like having to start over with the trust board or anything I should know before I think about this?

No, they keep their affinity.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I have like 12 sidequests active, do I need to tie those up first or are they fine waiting until I finally have another party member to share in the affinity gains?

Side quests don't expire afaik since by the time I fixed the stupid crane in Toragoth I was at the end game.

One major exception to this is Indol.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

salvage npc?

Some nopon in Argentum. Go to the inn, walk down a flight of stairs and you should see a nopon with a trophy icon standing on a platform nearby. You can pay him to asserss your salvager rank. Ranking up gives you a bunch of items, makes the salvage QTEs easier (after I ranked up almost all of them are A, A, A) and unlocks better cylinders at stores. The accessory he gives you that gives your autoattacks a 50% chance of doubling is also insanely good, since it makes your driver arts charge that much faster.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Do I have to get the towns to a certain development rank before I can get gold cylinders or am I missing something extremely obvious? Currently Rank D Salvager so the 5 gold cylinders in my inventory have me wondering if I'm blind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warren posted:

Do I have to get the towns to a certain development rank before I can get gold cylinders or am I missing something extremely obvious? Currently Rank D Salvager so the 5 gold cylinders in my inventory have me wondering if I'm blind.

Story progression.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Has anyone encountered a bug with the quest Crystal Clear? I'm at the point where I need to start a Merc mission and head to a spot, but starting the Merc mission is glitched and even after I start I get no quest indicator icon anywhere in the zone.

Looked at a video on youtube to find out which spot i'm supposed to go to, and going there triggers nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyRyoga posted:

Has anyone encountered a bug with the quest Crystal Clear? I'm at the point where I need to start a Merc mission and head to a spot, but starting the Merc mission is glitched and even after I start I get no quest indicator icon anywhere in the zone.

Looked at a video on youtube to find out which spot i'm supposed to go to, and going there triggers nothing.

Have you completed the Merc Mission first?

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Thanks for the answer. Has anyone else figured out what Perun's affinity unlock actually means yet?

Edit: answered my own question via youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5q-Pyj3jqA

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was having trouble with both salvaging QTEs and Tiger! Tiger! and finally realized the pro controller had input lag. For some reason it did not affect combat. I've never had that problem with the controller before and it was weird.
Switching to joycons fixed it so now I can actually get some good loot and level Poppi. Now the only problem is that hammering the B button during arts is a pain in the arse.

A yes or no question: does Tora ever get any other bootleg blades? I realize Poppi is probably one of the most OP blades in the game but only having one still seems very limiting.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yo, so don't open all your core crystals with Rex. Spread the love around as equally as you can, or you end up with Field Skill check issues where you have what you need, but everyone is stuck on a character that has a permanent blade leaving you with only two slots to try and make it work.

It was becoming an issue in side quests and now I straight up can't open an endgame door until I go Affinity level someone high enough to make a work around,

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lodin posted:

A yes or no question: does Tora ever get any other bootleg blades? I realize Poppi is probably one of the most OP blades in the game but only having one still seems very limiting.

Poppi gets alternate transformation forms as the story progresses. The first one is at the end of Chapter 4.

That said, Poppi being locked to a Tank role is actually quite useful. It leaves you free to cycle through other roles with Nia and Rex without suddenly eating aggro.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming you can also eventually change her alignment to something other than rock?
Guess I need to start Tigering since it's actually working now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Crawfish posted:

It was becoming an issue in side quests and now I straight up can't open an endgame door until I go Affinity level someone high enough to make a work around,

You sound like you hit the wall that reviewers were talking about, what field skills do you need if it's not too spoilery? Before I mulch my 1 crown generic blades

Also the Abandoned Factory was as miserable as you guys were saying it would be until out of desperation I bonded a common core to Rex and pulled Elektra which made Rex a decent tank for the duration of the segment

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Out of all the gross, body horror blades, Vess is the worst

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Lv 5 Electric Mastery at the same time as Lv 5 Focus, for plot.

Sidequest wise there is a Lv 10 Electric Mastery check and a bunch of high level Nopon Wisdom off the top of my head.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the sidequest with the singing Nopon who just wants her kid to come home is sad as gently caress and now I need to suspend everything just to finish it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

the sidequest with the singing Nopon who just wants her kid to come home is sad as gently caress and now I need to suspend everything just to finish it

I tried to do that one but got tired of trying to get the materials for the drinks, and keep forgetting which ones I've already tried.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Oh man, there are deeds that increase the run speed. Already 10% faster than the standard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lakbay posted:

You sound like you hit the wall that reviewers were talking about, what field skills do you need if it's not too spoilery? Before I mulch my 1 crown generic blades

Also the Abandoned Factory was as miserable as you guys were saying it would be until out of desperation I bonded a common core to Rex and pulled Elektra which made Rex a decent tank for the duration of the segment

I mean, the whole deal with Poppi and Lila was fantastic but then you lose what's probably your most reliable tank and you fight the most annoying enemies and get tricked with a bunch of lame dead ends that just stops the pacing dead on its tracks

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm stuck on the sidequest Sniff out the Spy. I'm at the point of "Search for the spy who raided the weapon cache in Garfont, Uraya" with no idea what to do to progress.

IcePhoenix posted:

I tried to do that one but got tired of trying to get the materials for the drinks, and keep forgetting which ones I've already tried.

You can just savescum it. Or pick Recipe 4 and get it over and done with.

Calaveron posted:

I mean, the whole deal with Poppi and Lila was fantastic but then you lose what's probably your most reliable tank and you fight the most annoying enemies and get tricked with a bunch of lame dead ends that just stops the pacing dead on its tracks

It's really not that bad. You can avoid most of the Tirkin easily because their aggro range is tiny.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it possible to utilize roles like Tank on Rex or Nia? so far I only tend to get Healer/Attack class Blades on them. Not sure if each character only gets bonded with certain kinds of Blades.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm stuck on the sidequest Sniff out the Spy. I'm at the point of "Search for the spy who raided the weapon cache in Garfont, Uraya" with no idea what to do to progress.

It's really not that bad. You can avoid most of the Tirkin easily because their aggro range is tiny.

Yeah but there are some you do have to fight and they're intensely aggravating. At least they're reliably weak to either ice and I had Rex with Perun or water which you're covered with Nia

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DLC Inc posted:

is it possible to utilize roles like Tank on Rex or Nia? so far I only tend to get Healer/Attack class Blades on them. Not sure if each character only gets bonded with certain kinds of Blades.

They can get Blades of any role, but it certainly seems like Rex pulls Tank more than Attack or Healer for me, while at this point Nia has a whole kennel of beast Healers.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but there are some you do have to fight and they're intensely aggravating. At least they're reliably weak to either ice and I had Rex with Perun or water which you're covered with Nia

I think I died 4 or 5 times to the group of 3 that you have to kill to open the door to the 2nd boss until I got elektra and Rex made a decent tank. I watched a stream and the streamer also had a huge amount of trouble with the same group

I don't know how much worse a generic shield hammer blade would be

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DLC Inc posted:

Nah, they can get any type of blade. I've got Boreas (a healer) and Electra (a tank) on Rex, and Nia has Dagas and Azami (both DPS), and was the one to originally get Electra.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Oh my god Nim is loving TERRIFYING.

And her intro is so loving long, and she has all these "sexy" catgirl poses except the character is literal nightmare fuel. Oh my god get away! loving go back into your gem!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crawfish posted:

Lv 5 Electric Mastery at the same time as Lv 5 Focus, for plot.

Sidequest wise there is a Lv 10 Electric Mastery check and a bunch of high level Nopon Wisdom off the top of my head.
Thanks for this, by the way.

(ten, jeeeeez)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I think I died 4 or 5 times to the group of 3 that you have to kill to open the door to the 2nd boss until I got elektra and Rex made a decent tank. I watched a stream and the streamer also had a huge amount of trouble with the same group

I don't know how much worse a generic shield hammer blade would be

Yeah I had to sneak off to an inn and use a bunch of bonus experience and forge some very specific aux cores, same with the boss after that boss

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Post mid-chapter 3 boss battles have been skin of my teeth and I've had to redo almost every boss 1~3 times. Either get lucky they don't do their super AOE move twice in a row or I suddenly understand the combat system and I can keep them locked down.

Like I think you want to save chain attacks for when a boss has 50% or less health and they have at least one elemental orb (preferably more) that you can burst. Otherwise the chain attack doesn't do that much more damage than auto attacking/arts and you want to save it for revives

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 6, 2017

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a cave in the Merc Campgrounds hidden behind some ivy you can burn down, you want to go there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Enemies get orbs whenever they're hit with a lvl IV special right, or are there other ways to get them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thank you, I wasn't doing that one the last couple times I went back because I was sure I had done it :negative:

I found this on Reddit which will do wonders for my quest to max out weapon skills
https://imgur.com/a/WzwOS

tl;dr - Maxing out any blade's affinity chart gives you an item that can add a big chunk of WP to any weapon type.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The end of chapter 3 was freaking tight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

IcePhoenix posted:

Thank you, I wasn't doing that one the last couple times I went back because I was sure I had done it :negative:

I found this on Reddit which will do wonders for my quest to max out weapon skills
https://imgur.com/a/WzwOS

tl;dr - Maxing out any blade's affinity chart gives you an item that can add a big chunk of WP to any weapon type.

drat I just did the great purge too :(

We need an updated first post with all these life lessons as vague as possible.

Also that chapter 5 3rd phase boss fight sucked wearing spike down reduction helped